Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Barudak posted:

What level are most people when they beat NED? Ive played the game before and ground to hell and back for the jobs to play with them but since Im not doing that im not sure where most people finish. I was like 32 going into the void, and after getting rolled by necrophob have ground up to 37.

Team is White Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Samurai

You have white mage so really just about any level. Be sure to have shell and protect up at all times during the fight. Give both your mages !throw and your ninja !white and throw lots of scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Barudak posted:

What level are most people when they beat NED? Ive played the game before and ground to hell and back for the jobs to play with them but since Im not doing that im not sure where most people finish. I was like 32 going into the void, and after getting rolled by necrophob have ground up to 37.

Lowest was 33 which had White. Highest was 58 when I did Shinryu grinding for a no750-type team beforehand so I didn't have to run through the void twice.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

With my stupid team of Bard, Knight, White, Chemist, I was levels 22-24. Highest was mid-50s when I had a triple berzerker/Time mage team.

berenzen posted:

gently caress the Brave Blade.

Super easy triple crown, even if I forgot to pick up Romeo's ballad :v:

derra posted:

Ok, I’ll get in on this. You guys fight too much.

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns
2) with a total party level under 100 and
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

Samuel Clemens, Huzzah!
Forgot to include a screenshot for this but I did do it with a total party level of 94.

Further proof of the triple crown:

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 26, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Beat Exdeath in world 2. That was not very fun as every two turns someone died to vacuum wave. Reviving not a issue, as the moment they get a turn they can heal up with the drain blade, but the fact he can use zombie breath and kill half the party and make them zombies was the real lovely part. I only had a single holy water and I don't recall any shops in world 2 selling it.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

It depends on party. My average levels have tended to be in the 26-32 range for NED (not counting extra levels if needed for superbosses). If you have Blue or White Mage you don't need much hp to be in the 'can survive Almagest range', and it can similarly be dealt with by Bard, Chemist, Dragoon, and Mystic Knight. Higher levels will be needed if you don't have any such measures (or if you aren't comfortable relying on shell from a Wonder Rod or a Crystelle catch) and don't have any particularly tanky class.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

derra posted:

Ok, I’ll get in on this. You guys fight too much.

:toxx: I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns
2) with a total party level under 100 and
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

THE LAWS OF FIESTA MEAN NOTHING!

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 26, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hrm, then ive got to be doing something wrong because it feels like everything since the end of world two has some rude instant counter.

I gave up on leviathan (I skipped buying coral rings, I know) when it did tidal wave three times in a row and in that time period a single one of my hasted characters got to act.

Edit: Oh my god does all turning battle speed up do is make the game harder?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 26, 2018

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, if you turn up the battle speed to 1, all it means is that the enemies get to act faster, if you turn it down to 6 they get far fewer actions. I usually keep it set at 5, enough that you aren't waiting around forever for an enemy to take an action if you need to do something to sync up attack (magissa for example), but low enough that you're not getting 1 set of actions per 2-3 enemy actions. Changing the battle speed does nothing for your own ATB bars.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rirse posted:

Beat Exdeath in world 2. That was not very fun as every two turns someone died to vacuum wave. Reviving not a issue, as the moment they get a turn they can heal up with the drain blade, but the fact he can use zombie breath and kill half the party and make them zombies was the real lovely part. I only had a single holy water and I don't recall any shops in world 2 selling it.

Almost every item shop in W2 sells holy water. There are two merchants, one of whom sells stuff from world one, and one who sells new stuff.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Can Of Worms posted:

Bug is fixed now! Download the updated patch here. Apply to a clean ROM, not a patched ROM. You can continue the game off this, although you may need to load an in-game save instead of a save state.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyw0adpwrydmzac/ffvamod0.5.1.ups?dl=0

The patch also adds two new changes I was working on (not coincidentally timing with my Fiesta Beastmaster):
  • The Blitz Whip (found in Jachol cave, home of Skull Eaters) now has a 20% chance of activating !Release instead of casting Thunder, which normally makes it useless. Unlike regular !Release, monsters released this way are not removed from the character, which means you can live the dream of !Releasing Sand Bears nonstop. I've been having fun using this whip to plow through fights! Turns out there's a catch in World 2 that does +6000 damage (Ironbacks in the Catlebopas/Shoat cave) and a catch in World 3 that does +7000 damage (Cheries in the Phoenix Tower). The Lamias in the Phoenix Tower also cast White Wind so there's a lot of possibilities here...
  • The Chain Whip (available in most stores in World 2) is now a whip that always !Rapidfires. The whip itself has a weak enough base attack that doesn't make this worthwhile on its own, but you could combine it with Dual Wield or something to increase its power...

I downloaded this to try it, and none of the jobs are unlocked at the start. The mod seems to be working cause I have the hero class.
Edit: wait, does the jobs mod not unlock the jobs like the fiesta patch? I might just be confused.

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 26, 2018

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Okay, Berserker, Dancer, and Knight. There's some synergy there...

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Who has two thumbs and forgot how to use the pause button to take victory shots?? THIS CHICK

Anyway, this was my first Fiesta! Normal and #fifthjob, White Mage/Berserker/Bard/Chemist. (Initial Earth job was Samurai, but apparently #fifthjob decided I needed to be able to break the game harder.)

I sure hope that lovely NED victory pic is good enough for Gilgabot.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Rirse posted:

All the shops in World 2 sell them, each town should have two item sellers (one for the World 1 stuff and one with the new stuff.)

Huzzah! posted:

I downloaded this to try it, and none of the jobs are unlocked at the start. The mod seems to be working cause I have the hero class.
Edit: wait, does the jobs mod not unlock the jobs like the fiesta patch? I might just be confused.
Yeah, the balance mod does not have the job unlock feature.

In the meantime, I just finished my run :toot: Ran balance mod through the paces to discover some amusing glitches, like the !Focus Rapidfire effect transferring to other abilities (Sword Dance and Mug, notably.) The new Blitz Whip was pretty fun, although I ended up making my Beastmaster into a second Dancer with Sand Bears/Iron Backs as my main release since Monk provided most of the support. I ended up building Krile into a Rune Axe Sword Dancing murder machine which was pretty satisfying (and the Sword Dance Rapidfire bug made her absolutely terrifying :stare:) She did save my bacon with a clutch NED kill though! (see screenshot below.) Going to be doing a 750 Extra Spicy run next, since this run felt very no750.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 26, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
but what if i want higher chance of berserkers now that prereg is done :(

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Relin posted:

In that case you get a shrink and ask him to help you with your severe masochism issues.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Relin posted:

I mean, theres always one command if you want more berserkers.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Huzzah! posted:

I mean, theres always one command if you want more berserkers.

Is that command still in, if it's what i'm thinking of?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's also the Job Fair too.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Huzzah! posted:

The balance patch does not unlock all jobs. If you aren't running Forbidden, I've had luck finding a GameShark code to unlock all the jobs. Due to the balance patch, the code didn't unlock Cannoneer and Gladiator and instead unlocked some work in progress/abandoned jobs.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 26, 2018

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Anybody got Shinryu tips for Ranger/Bard/Dancer/Mystic Knight? Just chumped Omega and figure Shin's going to be the biggest stumbling block for a triple crown.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Either go for broke on offense with Flare Sword Rapidfire plus Dance plus Apollo, or have three Zombies with Reflect Rings with the Bard Hiding and let Shinny Atomic Ray himself to death (very slowly).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Here's another Forbidden Exodia for the pile.

Except I was a dumbass who forgot to void a job before I went in. :doh: It was Samurai, who in the final fight had identical gear to and was using !Combine just like my Cannoneer, but I'm gonna go redo it anyways. I need Omega, after all.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Run 2: Chaos: Ninja / Chemist / Geomancer / Dancer

Decent synergy team, the two weak links were made bearable by the better classes; Geo liked being a Throwbot and Dancer appreciates both Dual-Wield and !Drink for nearly-free HP Doubling and early game Haste.

Starting on a Pure Chaos run, got Blue Mage and Freelancer so far. We'll see what Fire is tomorrow, I got sleep (and then work) to get to soon.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I forget, does Quickleak work on GBA?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

I forget, does Quickleak work on GBA?

Yep.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Having a blue mage, it's pretty funny going into a boss fight and going "I wonder if lvl 5 Death/Deathclaw works" and then having it work way more then you realize.

I'm a little confused by dark spark though. Shouldn't it be lowering the enemies stats (minus hp)? I cast it on enemies and I feel like they're still dealing/taking the same amount of damage.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

duck trucker posted:

Having a blue mage, it's pretty funny going into a boss fight and going "I wonder if lvl 5 Death/Deathclaw works" and then having it work way more then you realize.

I'm a little confused by dark spark though. Shouldn't it be lowering the enemies stats (minus hp)? I cast it on enemies and I feel like they're still dealing/taking the same amount of damage.

Monsters have a pre-set attack multiplier that they use for most attacks. Monster magic multiplier is affected by their level, and thus Dark Spark, though it's the usual (level*mag)/256 + 4 deal.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Did a second run, chaos this time, and got Geo/Knight/Monk/Samurai.

At first, I was dreading the worst after getting Geomancer. I had never gotten it in the fiesta before and anytime I used it while playing casually I had plenty of other options to lean on. It ended up being pretty handy overall, I used the fiesta patch so I had access to it from the word go, and !Gaia ended up really helping out with some of the bosses I was dreading. It also helped out with making grinding a breeze, since between the first three classes I had to rely on items for healing I decided to make sure I was leveled... and had 4 Flame Rings.... and had a small stash of Elixirs. I may have overdone it a bit with the grinding.

Also if this is still ongoing

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, :toxx: time. I failed my Risk run last year so:

I will donate $5 (up to $50) for every completed run with a full strength Brave Blade to counter my cowardice in the face of too many Zerks last year. I will double that if you do it without a Knight.

I have to admit, it was pretty fun actually having someone attack and deal 5k damage without any real setup.

I have no idea if I'm going to try for Omega and Shinryu though. A part of me doesn't want to deal with Omega, but I want to see if there is anything I can pull off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just beat NED, pictures are trapped on phone, but spent 160k Gil beating him.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So what can a Cannoneer do to Omega? My understanding is that the Combines are auto-hit with a flat 75% status proc which isn't affected by any evades. Is that right? But they don't go through immunities, right? So all I can do is slow him and stop him? Shin should be no problem with both berserk and blind.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Maybe, just maybe, with enough tweaking, this script will be useful and user-friendly. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OzFactor posted:

So what can a Cannoneer do to Omega? My understanding is that the Combines are auto-hit with a flat 75% status proc which isn't affected by any evades. Is that right? But they don't go through immunities, right? So all I can do is slow him and stop him? Shin should be no problem with both berserk and blind.

Slow him, then shove Chaos (and apparently Vulner?) Cannons up his rear end until he dies, since he won't counter them.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Kyrosiris posted:

:siren: WARNING FOR ORACLE/CANNONEER FORBIDDEN PLAYERS :siren:
!Predict (yes, all of !Predict) and Chaos Cannon can bypass Exdeath's phase 1 death script for going from Treedeath to Neo Exdeath if they kill him. These are not counted as valid #victory kills - you must kill Neo Exdeath, so be mindful.

Note: This is not technically true, I recently learned. I brought this up in an "Are glitches allowed?" thread on the reddit and RK responded:

erickoziol posted:

Gilgabot throws jokes about not glitching ExDeath, but really, I tend to follow the "If it's in the game it's okay" like most speed runs do.
You can glitch and skip Neo-Exdeath. It's really not a big deal. That fight can be a pain for some parties, even though four Berserkers can (eventually) do it.

Of course, if you have any of the classes that can reliably glitch Tree Ex-Death this way (which I think are Chemist, Cannoneer, and Oracle? Am I forgetting any other obvious tricks?) you almost certainly don't need to do it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I thought the issue was that a #victory screenshot of normal Exdeath dying wouldn't be valid for the system.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

agradine posted:

Of course, if you have any of the classes that can reliably glitch Tree Ex-Death this way (which I think are Chemist, Cannoneer, and Oracle? Am I forgetting any other obvious tricks?) you almost certainly don't need to do it.

I'm glad of this policy tho because any time I get Chemist I like doing it for the hell of it

The best thing about Chemist, like Blue Mage, is how little the game accounts for what the class is capable of

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

It'd be nice if I could grab the emulator's current framerate so the realtime count is accurate, but eh.

Now to test it against other monsters, at different zoom levels, add in the SNES memory offsets, have the clock only display if the enemy is under HP Leak and a party member is Quicked...

Edward_Tohr fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 26, 2018

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Alxprit posted:

I thought the issue was that a #victory screenshot of normal Exdeath dying wouldn't be valid for the system.

As far as I know, the validation "system" is still just RK looking at the screenshot and going "look's good!" and then probably hitting some switch on the site's end.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

One non-Forbidden run down! Thank you Break for hitting the Almagest part before I had to grind for HP. I'm too lazy to triple crown right now, so time to give Forbidden a try.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

OzFactor posted:

Combines that cause a status effect he is immune to don't get countered. So slow him and use mini or some other shot that goes uncountered to pile up damage. If you have reflect up by some means, you can switch to thunder or needle cannon when he's reflecting search on himself.

Shin can also be slowed to just hilariously trivialize him further, and will likely be a no damage fight if you have multiple !combine users to pile all that on immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Combines that cause a status effect he is immune to don't get countered.

Oh is that what it is? I wonder why he's immune to Vulner Cannon.