Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My free year ends in a month and a half, so I need to figure something out for what is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Port to an MVNO for 2 months, then get back onto the free year plan, assuming it's still alive in October.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

About to take a trip to Western Europe, my wife and I are on Sprint. I understand there is the free global 2G poo poo tier, likely that will not be good enough. What other options do we have?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When your phone first picks up signal you'll get a text, iirc, that explains rates. If not, then you get just enough bandwidth to redirect any site to their portal where you can buy time. Most, if not all of West Europe should be $5/day $25/week. I did two weeks in Paris for business earlier this year and it was rockass solid, sometimes even better than my hotel's wifi. Worked the same on my vacatiom to New Zealand.

You will likely have to reboot your phone a couple of times to get the signal picked up and going. My company wanted me to use Uber on the corp card but when I got there at first the phone (s7) was having a hell of a time getting good data going so I had to take a regular Taxi. But once it got working I had no problems with it.

Just heads up on that.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 17, 2018

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Might be worth getting you phone globally unlocked and grabbing a local SIM if you're there a while.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you have any balance left on the phone they will make you pay the remaining balance first before unlocking it, if that matters for you.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It'll be a two week trip, my phone is paid in full but my wife's is not. $25/week (per phone I assume) doesn't sound terrible so I'll probably just end up doing that.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

About to take a trip to Western Europe, my wife and I are on Sprint. I understand there is the free global 2G poo poo tier, likely that will not be good enough. What other options do we have?

Enable international roaming on your account. Prices by the MB are reasonable, and you get 4G speeds when you turn on your phone after landing. Texts are free.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nocal posted:

Crosspost from the Fi thread.

Why didn't you just port the number from Fi to Sprint? Going to Google Voice seems like an unnecessary and pointless step in this whole debacle.

I did a similar move years ago from my Parents account to my own to get the SERO deal, buy then going to Nextel for a day, then back to Sprint. Still has been good so far.

Also just got back from the Dominican Republic and the International Freedom add-on that they offered for free for a while gave me unlimited calls and text, and 1G LTE with a good rate after that even though I never went through the full G. I thought I would have unlimited 2G after burning through the 4G data but is that not the case anymore?

The worst roaming with Sprint is domestic. On SERO you only get like 300M now instead of the unlimited 3G/2G of the old days, and after like 3 calls, there was no way to extend that. That is a really weird and stupid limitation.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 19, 2018

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm adopting a puppy next week, and between that and the lackluster low light concert photos I took on Friday with my S7, I'm in the market to upgrade to something better with a nicer camera. However, the S9 is loving gigantic by comparison, and I have tiny baby hands (gloves that say "one size fits most" never fit me, and I wear youth gloves to play goalkeeper in soccer).

Do I have any other good options on Sprint, factoring in size, a flagship-competitive camera, and wireless charging? You haven't lived until you've experienced the convenience of a wireless charging car cradle.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'm adopting a puppy next week, and between that and the lackluster low light concert photos I took on Friday with my S7, I'm in the market to upgrade to something better with a nicer camera. However, the S9 is loving gigantic by comparison, and I have tiny baby hands (gloves that say "one size fits most" never fit me, and I wear youth gloves to play goalkeeper in soccer).

Do I have any other good options on Sprint, factoring in size, a flagship-competitive camera, and wireless charging? You haven't lived until you've experienced the convenience of a wireless charging car cradle.

Get a Pixel 2 (non-XL) from the Google Store and activate it on Sprint. It's a nice sized phone, the camera is if not the best on the market, right there, and it's great in other ways too. People are posting 15% off codes in the main Android thread right now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 on Pixel 2. Even might want to visit a Verizon store just to feel a 2XL as it may be 6", but it's taller than it is wide and may feel smaller than your S7 in the hand.

Then just order one from the Google store, Visit a Corporate Sprint store to get a SIM for it, and get it activated. Enjoy a fantastic phone on Good Enough service.

I know the Media is pushing the T-Mobile/Sprint merger as all doom and gloom, and in some ways it may be, but the one thing I hope is that if the networks merge, we will hopefully get some extremely good coverage as well as possibly more phone options without having to leave Sprint to use a GSM device. Guess it's a wait and see at this point.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I have a Pixel 2 and, while a great phone, I can confirm that it has no Qi charging. I can also confirm that this sucks buttholes.

Wanted to make sure this was clear, since that wasn't being addressed in the recommendations above...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wireless charging owns bones and that's a dealkiller.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Fancy_Lad posted:

I have a Pixel 2 and, while a great phone, I can confirm that it has no Qi charging. I can also confirm that this sucks buttholes.

Wanted to make sure this was clear, since that wasn't being addressed in the recommendations above...

Well gently caress, I started pricing the phone out and everything today. Perhaps I pump the brakes over here. Thanks for the heads up.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I did the V30 because it's a Pixel 2 XL with a worse camera but with a headphone jack (I can deal with the LG software because I always do stock android CFW and I really don't care about the camera, Lumix G7), but it's pretty damned big compared to my S5. Adjustment period I guess.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

...my S7 ... the S9 is loving gigantic by comparison...
Are you sure you didn't hold the s9+? The s9 is barely any larger, unless it's just the relocated fingerprint sensor that's a dealbreaker...
S7: 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm
S9: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm

Oh, and the pixel 2 is no smaller, it just has wide bezels
Pixel 2: 145.7 x 69.7 x 7.8 mm

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

WoG posted:

Are you sure you didn't hold the s9+? The s9 is barely any larger, unless it's just the relocated fingerprint sensor that's a dealbreaker...
S7: 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm
S9: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm

Oh, and the pixel 2 is no smaller, it just has wide bezels
Pixel 2: 145.7 x 69.7 x 7.8 mm

It's funny, I didn't hold either and was going by screen size, but you're right. When I researched the camera differences this morning I compared the physical dimensions and was surprised to see they were almost the same for the non-plus variant.

On the other hand, camera comparisons between the two don't have me super convinced the S9 would be worth an upgrade. A few of the shots I saw actually seemed to look better from the S7 in terms of contrast and details retained within shadows.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Full disclosure I'm working an event for Samsung demoing the features of the S9/S9+

The camera in the S9 is right up there with my Pixel 2 especially in low light conditions. You'll also be getting a modern OS with additional features in that regard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm a Sprint customer and I'm looking to upgrade my phones, but they don't appear to be offering any deals at all unless you're a new customer or adding a new line. It looks like their prices for the Samsung Galaxy 9 and Note 8 are $100 or more above the Amazon price...why? (Also, why are they offering to waive a made-up $30 fee that they charge for the privilege of buying a phone?)

I'm sorry there's not much of a coherent throughline here. This is the first smartphone I've ever owned, and when I signed on, I thought of it as a utility bill that I was now rich enough to actually afford. I just followed my wife's lead because she used to sell this stuff. Now that I'm (sort of) aware of my options, I don't want to renew a costly contract or pay way too much for a phone that I'll want to replace in a year or two anyway.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of just buying a phone that works on Sprint from elsewhere. (Say a Pixel(2) from the Google Play store) you are sort of incentivised to purchase a phone through their Leasing deals where you can lease the phone for $X a month and after a year or two (check your lease terms) you can upgrade to a different phone and just start paying the difference there. Or you can pay off the device and own it outright.

The "Deals" are here and there where one of the lease plans which are actually cheaper than the full purchase price of the phone. (The Essential Phone a while back was $150~) on the lease plan even though the Full Purchase Price was still like $600 or so.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
My trusty s4 bricked yesterday so I hauled up and went off to the sprint store to get however new many s's to my galaxy. I need something today due to some upcoming travel, so I was less inclined to wait for amazon to deliver something.

gently caress leasing anything, so I go in and there's plenty of "BUY IT TODAY" posters and "PRICE TODAY" next to the phones and I said "one s9 for today good sir". My bullshit meter was on alert for insurance and accessories and bullshit "free" tablets that add $25 to your plan. I wasn't ready for "Oh, sprint doesn't let us sell phones today anymore. You have to lease and after the next billing cycle you can call the help center and pay for it in full". I was :what:

It was straight out of a comedy where you have literal huge signs surrounding you saying one thing and then being told another. I was livid and walked out. What the gently caress?

I presume this is insanely not true and they just get some commission when I lease for at least one billing cycle?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am pretty sure if you wanna pay full price you can still get a phone outright at the stupid price it came out at.

But the Lease deal isn't a bad idea as you can just buy it, lease it for a month or so, then pay the remainder off and own it outright (and at a discounted price if that is the case I believe the S9's and Note8 is 50% off on Flex Lease)

So there really isn't any reason not to if you are just wanting to buy a phone outright anyway. It's just the new way to buy phones instead of locking into Plan Renewals of the old days with the Upgrade discounts.

I'd say go back and lease a S-whateever you want at the 50% off deal, and pay it off after your first month. You still get the savings and a new phone to boot.

*edit*

Reading closer, it is one of those *50% back as bill credit things... So depending on how they do it you may be able to pay it off early at the discounted price, but you will have to hold onto your Sprint plan for 18 months so its pretty much still the same as the old Plan Renewal deals. Odd, and confusing, but still worth it IMO if you don't plan on leaving anyway.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 12, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DrPossum posted:

My trusty s4 bricked yesterday so I hauled up and went off to the sprint store to get however new many s's to my galaxy. I need something today due to some upcoming travel, so I was less inclined to wait for amazon to deliver something.

gently caress leasing anything, so I go in and there's plenty of "BUY IT TODAY" posters and "PRICE TODAY" next to the phones and I said "one s9 for today good sir". My bullshit meter was on alert for insurance and accessories and bullshit "free" tablets that add $25 to your plan. I wasn't ready for "Oh, sprint doesn't let us sell phones today anymore. You have to lease and after the next billing cycle you can call the help center and pay for it in full". I was :what:

It was straight out of a comedy where you have literal huge signs surrounding you saying one thing and then being told another. I was livid and walked out. What the gently caress?

I presume this is insanely not true and they just get some commission when I lease for at least one billing cycle?

I may have posted in this thread, or maybe just bitched IRL but I had a Sprint store try and charge me $50 on top of the phone price as some sort of convenience fee for buying the phone in store.

Ended up ordering on Sprint.com for full price no bullshit fees.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, if you buy online they waive the made up bullshit fee that they charge you for wanting to give them money.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Is it really this bad everywhere or should I jump ship to another provider?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That's what I'm trying to figure out!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I'm pretty sure everyone does something similar. Verizon with my family, AT&T with my Wifes family, etc.

One thing for sure is each store experience may be vastly different depending on the people running it, and if its a Corporate store, or one of those franchise crappy ones.

There is a Sprint store in Sacramento that has legit cool techs working there that actually like phones, tech, etc. Have repair techs on hand (used to be Sprint's own, now its the Asurion techs since they got outsourced but its the same people which was neat), they have Sim cards on hand for pretty much everything that works on Sprint (Had the Pixel 2 sims nearly first day they were out) and no bullshit when you have questions and want a device.

It is always a different experience when you get a store ran by people that have been in the business a long time, vs some new salesperson who doesn't know his rear end from an iPhone.

There is one Verizon store that is a similar experience near here as well, but all other stores around seem to be nowhere near as good. So they are out there, but you have to find them.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Just go to a Best Buy or a Radioshack, they can do upgrades and such unless something's changed drastically recently.

Alternatively jump ship and go to t-mobile, that seems to be the popular choice, even my mom's done that now.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

DrPossum posted:

Is it really this bad everywhere or should I jump ship to another provider?

Trust me on this one, if you're in the market for an s9 don't buy a carrier locked version. You can buy an unlocked model that will work on any carrier and you won't have to jump through sprint hoops if you want to use an international sim either. And for some reason the sprint locked s9 was more expensive then the unlocked s9 which makes zero sense. You also get less sprint garbage on the phone (once it recognizes the carrier it'll still pull down some of their garbage but it's less then the carrier version)..

I had the sprint s8 and it was a total nightmare getting them to unlock it and just got an unlocked 9 this go around.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Fare there well Sprint SERO. I'm joining ATT tomorrow with my wife.

I've been with Sprint uninterrupted since 2002.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I have the Sprint One plan. I have an LG G6. In two weeks I'm going to China. Google is banned there. I know that none of the Google brand apps will work, but is there any other problems I'm likely to encounter? Will I be able to log into any of my apps that use my Google log in (Pokemon Go)? What other issues might I encounter?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
uhhhh my plan suddenly jumped $30 a month with no warning?

I checked my bill details and can see the "Sprint Unlimited Family Plan Unlimited Talk Text & Data" was replaced with "Unlimited Plus" this bill cycle with no advance notice. I checked my emails and notices and have nothing about this. They say they sent out a notice that my plan was "retired" and this is "the next most affordable option", but that sounds like complete loving horseshit. Is that even legal without me agreeing to the new plan?

Unlimited Plus apprently includes a 15GB mobile hotspot, TIDAL Premium and "HD Streaming" (lol), none of which I care about or would use. None of this garbage was ever something I added nor have I modified my plan in any way.

I've already engaged chat support and escalated the issue, but :wtc: Sprint. I've been with them for 15 years, but this might finally be what gets me to switch if they dont fix this poo poo in a hurry. There's no loving way I'm paying an extra $360 a year for Sprint service.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 12, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I keep hearing horror stories like that and I'm just waiting for the axe to drop and SERO goes away.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Anyone have any advice on escalating this poo poo? Chat agent said they already escalated it to "higher support" and I received a call this morning (that I couldnt take and they havent tried to call me back), but I have effectively no confidence that will get me anywhere. Should I just visit a retail store?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ex post facho posted:

Anyone have any advice on escalating this poo poo? Chat agent said they already escalated it to "higher support" and I received a call this morning (that I couldnt take and they havent tried to call me back), but I have effectively no confidence that will get me anywhere. Should I just visit a retail store?

Retail store isn't gonna help you. You probably should reach out to their twitter support. Or just switch carriers, whatev.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

ex post facho posted:

uhhhh my plan suddenly jumped $30 a month with no warning?

I checked my bill details and can see the "Sprint Unlimited Family Plan Unlimited Talk Text & Data" was replaced with "Unlimited Plus" this bill cycle with no advance notice. I checked my emails and notices and have nothing about this. They say they sent out a notice that my plan was "retired" and this is "the next most affordable option", but that sounds like complete loving horseshit. Is that even legal without me agreeing to the new plan?

Unlimited Plus apprently includes a 15GB mobile hotspot, TIDAL Premium and "HD Streaming" (lol), none of which I care about or would use. None of this garbage was ever something I added nor have I modified my plan in any way.

I've already engaged chat support and escalated the issue, but :wtc: Sprint. I've been with them for 15 years, but this might finally be what gets me to switch if they dont fix this poo poo in a hurry. There's no loving way I'm paying an extra $360 a year for Sprint service.

That's awful. I'm assuming you were off contract and just month to month?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Did you call the sero support line?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Did you call the sero support line?

He's not on Sero.

However it might not hurt to call them anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is the Sprint iPhone forever plan worth it?