Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

HitTheTargets posted:

Weird. I saw some guy on Reddit claim to have datamined info on an Orphea hero about a month back, and the main response I remember was "Cool, I play HotS because it's a game by Blizzard, not because it's a game about Blizzard."

Chris metzen character when???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Jeff from the Overwatch team is so OP in this meta. First ban him or you'll regret it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
WTB Ben Brode announcer pack

It's all just belly laughs and puns and rapping about lore

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
One of the tougher things to learn about playing murky well is that even though your death timers are short, your deaths should still be accomplishing something.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

As a skin for Thrall /Raganros, this would be really funny

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

HitTheTargets posted:

Weird. I saw some guy on Reddit claim to have datamined info on an Orphea hero about a month back, and the main response I remember was "Cool, I play HotS because it's a game by Blizzard, not because it's a game about Blizzard."
I imagine nobody will care if she's cool, you'll just see the same few vocal diablo fans getting outraged because "lore-important" characters like mephisto "still aren't in the game" and choosing to take it as a personal insult

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 26, 2018

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

No Wave posted:

I imagine nobody will care if she's cool, you'll just see the same few vocal diablo fans getting outraged because "lore-important" characters like mephisto "still aren't in the game" and choosing to take it as a personal insult

Or imperius, which makes me laugh every time. The guy had like no screentime or personality.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm just sitting here wishing Valla were more like an actual D3 Demon Hunter than the watered down boring thing she is in this game. DH is my favorite class in D3 and I just can't get into playing Valla.

I mean if you want to just drop turrets all day long while they kill things you can always play Gazlowe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ort posted:

Or imperius, which makes me laugh every time. The guy had like no screentime or personality.

He's a cool looking angel with a neat crown and spear, that's more than enough to get into the game imo.

Seriously though, lei shen when

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Actual fun characters who should make the cut: Hogger, Blackthorne.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yogg-Saron where he replaces your core and has infest and mind control powers. Bit like aba but not a timid slug.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If we got a core replacement hero it should either be Ner'zhul encased in the Frozen Throne or the Overmind.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We never will now that ToD and AP are in the game :(

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I would love the overmind but yeah AP for sure makes that not look very likely

maybe they can stuff the overmind in a suit of armor and make him lurch around when he's on that map

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ort posted:

He's got big armor and is a dick to Tyrael and the player character. He's also always "right" and never wrong which aligns with the average reddit user

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

did it start as a reaction to auriel because he's theoretically a more lore-important angel?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm just sitting here wishing Valla were more like an actual D3 Demon Hunter than the watered down boring thing she is in this game. DH is my favorite class in D3 and I just can't get into playing Valla.

This is me but with Kharazim. Like I don't even mind that he's a support, but why doesn't he have poo poo like Cyclone Strike, real Mantras, and other cool things an actual Support Monk would use.

edit: ^^^ Yeah basically, Imperius did have a few cool moments RoS, and even in D3 he always had more screen time then Auriel.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I want more 4th wall breaking heroes

"I've never met a more dedicated group of LARPers"

"Did the 10,000 year old demon hunter get killed by a baby fish? lol"

"'Raven Lord'? OK sure goth boy"

"Wait, you respawn when you die here?

... anybody wanna try skydiving without a parachute?"

"Why you have to be mad? Is only game"

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Shibawanko posted:

You don't fight them, you simply survive against them while clearing waves with your fish (stand on top of it and tank some damage before bubbling away, leaving them less time to kill the fish before it kills the wave). Just don't advance too much and basically don't go past the halfway point if you can't afford to, your goal is to stay alive, soak xp and especially stack bribes. Then when the obj comes up, bribestack one of the camps on their(!) side of the map, assuming you have enough to instantly bribe the entire camp.

People might sometimes tell you that Murky is supposed to kamikaze and throw himself into the enemies but that's pointless if the enemy can just kill you, you're only supposed to sacrifice yourself if it will net a kill or will cause a very useful distraction for your team. Otherwise, your job is to stay alive and harass as much as possible, and control merc camps.

So Bribe every game or what? Also, is the current QM rotation that's locked in due to event terrible for Murky? I die on the inside when I see Braxis and Tomb of the Spider Queen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you take trash maps out of the pool trash characters like murky and tlv get a lot worse.

Alterac looks horrible for murky too right now given how important the first objective is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

If you take trash maps out of the pool trash characters like murky and tlv get a lot worse.

Aren't their best maps Cursed Hollow/Sky Temple/Infernal Shrines? Those are all good maps.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

GoT is their best by far. Sky temple i guess is good for them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean if you want to just drop turrets all day long while they kill things you can always play Gazlowe.

That's only one build and it hasn't even been the top build the past few seasons :colbert: Though I did really like it.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

This is me but with Kharazim. Like I don't even mind that he's a support, but why doesn't he have poo poo like Cyclone Strike, real Mantras, and other cool things an actual Support Monk would use.

edit: ^^^ Yeah basically, Imperius did have a few cool moments RoS, and even in D3 he always had more screen time then Auriel.

Yeah this bugs me too. Monk is my second most played class. Monk has so many cool and fun abilities and they picked the most bland kit for him.

This is all made worse by the fact that almost none of the D3 heroes have set piece armor skins outside of Li Ming.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
When you find your team down 2-3 levels (say, 13-10), what are the appropriate steps to close the gap assuming a reasonably cooperative team? Is it just super cautious laning/soaking to grind the XP back?

Generally speaking you want to keep your team together after L10, but if you're already in a position to lose team fights, this isn't a viable option, and you can't try to gank to make up the difference if the other team is sticking together.

Sometimes I find my team down like that, so I'll go to the lane with the most enemy minions and just start working the lane. This leads to others getting really mad that I'm not coming to fight at the tribute or whatever - if the other team is together, that's basically just feeding at that point.

Also, how close do you have to be to soak XP? I have a really difficult time judging it, especially when I know I need to stay as far back as possible in case the enemy deathball appears.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Its not a reliable strategy but I often find that the team that's ahead tends to start playing really sloppy/cocky. So it can be really good to look for places you can get picks by an overextended enemy who's pushing too far or trying to take your mercs or something. This doesn't work if the enemy team is smart and rolling around together but it happens often enough.

On the inverse if your team is far ahead, try and be wary of your team staying way too long in fights it doesn't need to be in/ isn't diving dudes at their keeps for no real reason.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
A friend of mine gets so unbelievably angry when she keeps losing games, I dunno why she keeps subjecting herself to the game. She's naturally very competitive anyway, and when players don't play optimally, especially if it's a character she's good with, she can get VERY salty. The QM being totally RNG in terms of what you get also doesn't help much for her. Like girl you need to take a break from the game or just play the draft modes without me. Compounding all that are people that go "GG" early and give up, people who get really angry in chat and never stop berating other players, and people disconnecting. Almost every game someone on our team disconnects and either never comes back or keeps re-connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. I can deal with all that for the most part, but she absolutely can't and at some point it's like, you should probably just not play this anymore.

Unrelated but kind of related???: The objective on Alterac feels stupid strong, like Braxis strong. Losing that first objective can be devastating

edit: We did have a game earlier where I was Murky and the rest of our team was Chromie, Tassadar, Nova and Zagara and the other team was Junkrat, Aba, Valeera, Butcher and Zeratul. That went about as well for us as you'd expect :v: I can't even be mad about that kind of QM match up

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 26, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, the Pass objective seems overlooked. Maybe dividing the power from one cavalry into three would make it okay, so AoE heroes can do more work against their push.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I've said it forever and I know people will disagree because there is always someone who is more than happy with the status quo no matter what that is, but I still say QM would be better if it were more like the brawls where you load in and then select your character. And to nip the one thing in the bud where people insist that this will allow people to snipe pick characters unfairly, just make it so that you queue as your preferred character, so that when you load in, you are already locked into that character and no one else can pick it. But then you have 30 seconds to switch. Done, easy.

Wonky rear end QM match ups suck the wind out of me and long queues and the draft portion of draft mode itself is not fun for me or a lot of other people. Adding a simple 30 second or less step to QM isn't going to make QM less quick, but it will at least give people a chance to avoid ridiculous team comps without blowing up queue times.

"But people will just argue and demand picks during the preload phase!"
People already argue and criticize each other plenty in QM. Literally nothing changes. If people try to dodge matches during this phase, gently caress em and punish them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If you're 3 levels down the game is usually over barring a wipe on the core or a good fight under a keep. 2 levels is salvageable I would say. Problem with the 3 level difference is you're always going to be down a talent tier in addition to the 13% stats advantage the enemy team has.
The mathematical best way to recover is to have one person in each lane soaking and everyone else doing mercs. This falls apart if the enemy team gets any kills (now you lose soak in one of the lanes) or is able to successfully push, getting xp from structures. So your priority is to clear waves as quickly and safely as possible.
Getting a kill on an enemy is going to be much more lucrative, especially when you are at a level disadvantage, but is unlikely.

If you're down levels and there is an objective coming up, it can be more beneficial to give it up and soak lanes, and if possible safely, push a lane furthest from the objective, to get some structure xp.

XP soak range is your vision range, which isn't very helpful when you get shared vision of your lane minions and structures.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

so you lose if no one goes support and the other team does. QM is the place where you can't get criticized for hero selection, that is the entire point of the mode.

The correct solution is to make the hots draft faster like in dooter.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

There's basically nothing you can do to save QM apart from what they've already done to enforce normal-ish teams because people who mainly play QM want absolutely nothing to do with any sort of team character selection whatsoever

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
They’ve also said that they will enforce a stricter QM matchmaking soon

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

No Wave posted:

so you lose if no one goes support and the other team does. QM is the place where you can't get criticized for hero selection, that is the entire point of the mode.

The correct solution is to make the hots draft faster like in dooter.

I'm gonna be honest and say I have no idea how Dota and LoL handle drafts so I can't really comment if their system is better or not.

But people will always criticize in QM so saying that adds criticism is silly. Also everyone would have the same opportunity to swap if they see there is no healer or tank so again, it is what it is. I've already had QM games where the other team has ridiculous amounts of self healing and protection into my team of no heals and no protection. I've had QM games where my team had low heals and low dps characters vs some of the beefiest, hardest hitting characters in the game. So the current QM is already perfectly capable of being unfair. I think RNG unfairness is worse than people choosing to be dumb.

Star posted:

They’ve also said that they will enforce a stricter QM matchmaking soon

For some reason I thought it was the other way around and already implemented.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If you havent played draft modes idk if you have the perspective to say that people criticize regardless of mode. I assure you there is much much less criticism in QM.

My disagreement isn't "silly", you just have no idea what you're talking about.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Whenever the idea of changing QM gets thrown around a number people all say they would immediately quit if QM was changed from LOCK IN HERO GO GO to anything else

With the large % of the game's population only playing QM I'd imagine a lot of them feel the same way

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

No Wave posted:

If you havent played draft modes idk if you have the perspective to say that people criticize regardless of mode. I assure you there is much much less criticism in QM.

My disagreement isn't "silly", you just have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't recall saying I never played draft modes in HotS.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Whenever the idea of changing QM gets thrown around a number people all say they would immediately quit if QM was changed from LOCK IN HERO GO GO to anything else

With the large % of the game's population only playing QM I'd imagine a lot of them feel the same way

I mean I can just as easily say that the number people complaining about QM matchmaking is higher than the number of people threatening to quit QM if it changed.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean I can just as easily say that the number people complaining about QM matchmaking is higher than the number of people threatening to quit QM if it changed.

I mean I agree with you in that I think QM would be better if there was some way to adjust picks based on what you get because it's not fun to me to random into completely lop-sided teams. I even suggest the same idea before that you get a brawl-like selection of 2 alternate heroes to the one you picked but a bunch of people quickly posted that they'd rather get completely random teams and just lose than have anything resembling team drafting

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I mean I agree with you in that I think QM would be better if there was some way to adjust picks based on what you get because it's not fun to me to random into completely lop-sided teams. I even suggest the same idea before that you get a brawl-like selection of 2 alternate heroes to the one you picked but a bunch of people quickly posted that they'd rather get completely random teams and just lose than have anything resembling team drafting

I like the idea of having alternates too but the issue with that is what happens when everyone is just picking three assassins? It's the same RNG problem just slightly reduced, unless you are forced to pick three different roles.

I wouldn't take some people complaining about that system here, or even reddit to represent any kind of majority. Forums are home to plenty of people who will diligently defend the dumbest poo poo, so it isn't a good barometer for how a population of people might actually feel. Outside of an in game poll, there is no way to know how popular or unpopular that would be.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just ban Nova from QM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm interested to see what the new QM matchmaking will be like and how badly it will mess with queue times if at all.