Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Katana Gomai posted:

why is Valakut spiking on MKM?

Cheaper Scapeshifts means more Scapeshift players. Supply and demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Katana Gomai posted:

why is Valakut spiking on MKM?

Scapeshift's getting a reprint so something has to soak up all that value.

Valakut only has one printing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cernunnos posted:

Valakut was a super easy promo to get, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateNu posted:

Valakut was a super easy promo to get, right?

It was the release day promo for Zendikar.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My LGS was handing them out randomly at an FNM not that long ago, weirdly enough.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Cernunnos posted:

I bought 4 primos thinking I would make scapeshift for 38 bucks, flipping them for over 100 would be hysterical.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I bought 4 primos thinking I would make scapeshift for 38 bucks, flipping them for over 100 would be hysterical.

Do it. Scapeshift looks like the most boring deck to play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DangerDongs posted:

It is, but it's also spectacularly unfun to play against.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Cernunnos posted:

oh right, durr. My brain didn't connect Valakut to the modern Scapeshift deck for some reason.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DangerDongs posted:

I played RG Breach for a while and the most annoying part was having to shuffle nearly every turn. It's probably a lot easier to stomach if you play it online, and blowing up your opponent with a volcano feels cool.

I've never played non-Titan Scapeshift and having seen it played once or twice I have no idea how it's even supposed to work.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Scapeshift is easily my least favorite deck in modern.

No matter the outcome of the game or which player you are - everyone loses. It's just flat out uninteresting gameplay.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

I've never played non-Titan Scapeshift and having seen it played once or twice I have no idea how it's even supposed to work.

It's straight-up UR control, and then when you get to 7 lands you cast a 4-mana spell that wins the game. Kinda like Twin but slower.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Ad Nauseam has always seemed like the more fun combo deck in Modern.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Matsuri posted:

Ad Nauseam has always seemed like the more fun combo deck in Modern.

And the most pure fun combo deck is Grishoalbrand

Who doesn't love drawing their whole deck?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

It's straight-up UR control, and then when you get to 7 lands you cast a 4-mana spell that wins the game. Kinda like Twin but slower.

I've dunked on it every time that I've been paired up against it so maybe I just haven't seen it played the correct way.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Walked posted:

Scapeshift is easily my least favorite deck in modern.

No matter the outcome of the game or which player you are - everyone loses. It's just flat out uninteresting gameplay.

Scapeshift is the most modern of decks, super linear and has matchups that it just auto loses to. It's pretty strong overall but you are right it's pretty uninspired gameplay.

Ad Nauseam is less fun to play against though because if they have the right hand combination it doesn't matter what any deck plays, it's going off.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

U/W second sun control is also an absolute bore to play against.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Can you blast a newly played creature with an instant after it's a permanent but before it can crew a vehicle, or is there no priority there because crewing is a cost?

Or I guess they can use it to crew in response to you blasting it anyways.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

resistentialism posted:

Can you blast a newly played creature with an instant after it's a permanent but before it can crew a vehicle, or is there no priority there because crewing is a cost?

Once the spell resolves and the creature hits the field priority would go back to the player whose turn it is, the tapping to pay for the ability would happen faster-than-instant and so would count for crewing.

I think. I've never paid too much attention to the stack and am trying to learn it now. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

resistentialism posted:

You have answered your own question.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

resistentialism posted:

You are correct. They can crew in response so the only way to stop them from doing it is to counter the creature spell before it resolves.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

resistentialism posted:

When the stack is empty, the active player has priority until they pass it.

It’s the same reason you can’t blow up a Planeswalker they just cast before they get a chance to use it. As soon as the spell resolves, the creature or pw is now on the battlefield and the player whose turn it is has priority.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Or use sudden shock if they look you in the eyes before crewing

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Also crewing doesn't use the stack for some reason I got that confused with morph

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 26, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Or use sudden shock if they look you in the eyes before crewing

Or stifle that poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Thisuck posted:

Also crewing doesn't use the stack for some reason I got that confused with morph

I once lost a game in Time Spiral limited when I used Sudden Shock and my opponent unmorphed a Willbender

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How are BG Thallids/Saproling doing in standard? And would it be worth going Abzan for Anointed Procession?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does that mean split second is the second fastest thing, so nothing can stack on top of it besides tapping for mana?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

ilmucche posted:

Does that mean split second is the second fastest thing, so nothing can stack on top of it besides tapping for mana?

You can't respond to it with activated abilities or spells but triggered abilities can stack on top of it (i.e. Counterbalance with a 3 on top countering a Krosan Grip) and actions that don't use the stack (i.e. turning a Willbender face up) can still be used.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Split second only stops spellcasting and non-mana activated abilities. Everything else is fair game, such as the aforementioned unmorphing or activating a mana ability that causes side effects to trigger.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

sorry for the reddit post but that's funny as gently caress and I wish poo poo like that happened at my store.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This is hilarious and the winner owns.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Katana Gomai posted:

sorry for the reddit post but that's funny as gently caress and I wish poo poo like that happened at my store.

Do people not know they can trade playmats? Like who cares if you get the exact mat for the event you won unless you’re planning on building some kind of trophy case.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Katana Gomai posted:

Not taking this game seriously owns, if I got this mat I'd use it all the time.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
haahaha that fuckin owns

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
my friends are obviously on my side

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Katana Gomai posted:

Winner is a hero.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

How are BG Thallids/Saproling doing in standard? And would it be worth going Abzan for Anointed Procession?

it does not play Goblin Chainwhirler or Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, so I suspect it's not good

also a format where Goblin Chainwhirler is one of the format defining cards seems extremely suspect for a deck that wants to make a million 1/1s

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mossyfisk posted:

my friends are obviously on my side

I wouldn't be if one of my friends was whining about this poo poo. Take your shame mat and either play with it proudly or toss it because you didn't win it anyways.

The biggest tell this idiot is a scrub is that they wrote about how they got mana screwed both games, like they want us to know that the loss wasn't legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Katana Gomai posted:

I'd use it forever and have everyone who ever beat me in a match sign it from that day forward.