Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bengy81 posted:

He basically has no idea how manufacturing works does he?
Of course he does. That's when you call China and have some slave labor stamp your name on a toilet brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/world/asia/china-veterans-protests.html

Chinese vets getting a taste of that sweet, sweet hegemonic backlash.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

BadOptics posted:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1011511905738018816

I mean, ok, Steve. Just be aware that next time Reconstruction will be more thorough.

Good. The north really hosed it up last time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Syncopated posted:

From wikipedia I gather that John Brown's raid on Harper's ferry was an attempt to free slaves by force, and fort Sumter was where the first battle in the Civil War was fought. Is that it?

Old John Brown’s body lies moldering in the grave,
While weep the sons of bondage whom he ventured all to save;
But tho he lost his life while struggling for the slave,
His soul is marching on.
(Chorus)
John Brown was a hero, undaunted, true and brave,
And Kansas knows his valor when he fought her rights to save;
Now, tho the grass grows green above his grave,
His soul is marching on.
(Chorus)
He captured Harper’s Ferry, with his nineteen men so few,
And frightened "Old Virginny" till she trembled thru and thru;
They hung him for a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew,

But his soul is marching on.
(Chorus)
John Brown was John the Baptist of the Christ we are to see,
Christ who of the bondmen shall the Liberator be,
And soon thruout the Sunny South the slaves shall all be free,
For his soul is marching on.
(Chorus)
The conflict that he heralded he looks from heaven to view,
On the army of the Union with its flag red, white and blue.
And heaven shall ring with anthems o’er the deed they mean to do,
For his soul is marching on.
(Chorus)
Ye soldiers of Freedom, then strike, while strike ye may,
The death blow of oppression in a better time and way,
For the dawn of old John Brown has brightened into day,
And his soul is marching on.
(Chorus)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

:perfect:

Donnie is going to start "grading" every Sanders press briefing. I give it a month before she sticks her head in an oven.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

BadOptics posted:

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1011511905738018816

I mean, ok, Steve. Just be aware that next time Reconstruction will be more thorough.

Whenever someone tries to claim the civil war was about states' rights, I always ask them "rights to what?"

They never give an answer.

e: VVV also the articles of secession for each state except for one (I think, it's been a while) mentioned slavery and how important it was to the them and was why they were bailing.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 26, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As Nero Danced posted:

Whenever someone tries to claim the civil war was about states' rights, I always ask them "rights to what?"

They also can never justify why it was about 'states rights' then most of the seceded states agreed to a constitution that made slavery mandatory at the federal level.

Edit: So remember that if someone spouts some 'right to choose' bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

e: VVV also the articles of secession for each state except for one mentioned slavery and how important it was to the them and was why they were bailing.

And pretty much every Confederate leader was pronouncing how it was about the supremacy of whites over blacks. Its hilarious how much you have to spin to make it only about state's rights.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

*Two Scoops drives Frumpy Grumpy Sarah to kill herself

Mike Huckabee: What about Hillary's emails?! What about that!?!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, in the states documents of secession I'm pretty sure slavery was never out of the top 4.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

not caring here posted:

Yeah, in the states documents of secession I'm pretty sure slavery was never out of the top 4.

And it was the only privilege CSA states had no rights over. Slavery could be decided at the National level only.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

And pretty much every Confederate leader was pronouncing how it was about the supremacy of whites over blacks. Its hilarious how much you have to spin to make it only about state's rights.

"Fake news by liberal academic historians" I assert with no proof or supporting evidence whatsoever.

There, I just convinced roughly 30-40% of the voters in the country.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

That Works posted:

I just point them to this web page, http://jjmccullough.com/CSA.htm which is a line by line compare and contrast between the two constitutions. Tends to work against people who honestly do think that the civil war was about states rights, and racist poo poo heels aren't gonna be swayed regardless.

quote:

Overall, the CSA constitution does not radically alter the federal system that was established by the United States constitution. It is therefore very debatable as to whether the CSA was a significantly more pro-"states' rights" country (as supporters claim) in any meaningful sense. At least three states rights are explicitly taken away.....

States only gain four minor rights under the Confederate system...

As previously noted, the CSA constitution does not modify many of the most controversial (from a states' rights perspective) clauses of the American constitution, including the "Supremacy" clause (Art. VI, Sec. 1[3]), the "Commerce" clause (Art. I, Sec. 8[3]) and the "Necessary and Proper" clause (Art. I, Sec. 8[18]). Nor does the CSA take away the federal government's right to suspend habeus corpus or "suppress insurrections."

As far as slave-owning rights go, however, the document is much more effective. Four different clauses entrench the legality of slavery in a number of different ways, and together they virtually guarantee that any sort of anti-slave law or policy would be unconstitutional. People can claim the Civil War was "not about slavery" as much as they want, but the fact remains that anyone who fought for the Confederacy was fighting for a country in which a universal right to own slaves was one of the most entrenched laws of the land.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Casimir Radon posted:

:perfect:

Donnie is going to start "grading" every Sanders press briefing. I give it a month before she sticks her head in an oven.

Could it be sooner than that?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Don't forget them not giving a gently caress about state rights when a slave escaped. The Fugitive Slave Act removed state rights from free states by allowing slave catchers to run wild with no reprecussions.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That Works posted:

They also can never justify why it was about 'states rights' then most of the seceded states agreed to a constitution that made slavery mandatory at the federal level.

https://books.google.de/books?id=MhTVAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Uh wrong dude, the Civil War was about States Rights. See, I've even posted the South Carolina Declaration that was published to establish the reasons for secession and they're all about state rights. For example:

quote:

Those States have assumed the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution;

wonder what they mean by property though?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Could it be sooner than that?

Can’t grade a press briefing if there aren’t any scheduled!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Welp. 5-4 by Roberts.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1011614033664004096?s=19

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

We got another 40 years at least of these types of decisions!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also a california law that required crisis pregnancy centers to advertise the free state provided abortion services and also required that they give notice whether they were licensed or not by the state to provide medical services is a violation of free speech.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Lol McConnell is a genius

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh good, Sanders can go back to being another fat white lady with no talent.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

But. Her. Emails.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Oh good, Sanders can go back to being another fat white lady with no talent.

But that's my job!

Except I'm a dude and not very white. But I got the other two requirements.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm still bitter that the Dems didn't make a bigger deal of the open SC seat during the election. gently caress.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

* At Frumpy Grumpy Sarah's funeral

Donnie: What can I say, Sarah was definitely not a 10!
Mike Huckabee: I wanna suck your dick so bad right now, I don't care if all these people see it!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The Dems just knew they had to pick and choose their battles and work with the GOP so down the road *kills self*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

And now to symbolize Sarah being at peace, my sons will drown this basket of puppies.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

And now to symbolize Sarah being at peace, my sons will drown this basket of puppies.

What kind of monster are you?!?! Pretty sure in Arkansas they burn/hang dogs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

BadOptics posted:

What kind of monster are you?!?! Pretty sure in Arkansas they burn/hang dogs.

Allegedly

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How many tries did that take?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In a 5-4 decision, SCOTUS has upheld the president's travel ban.

They found that it wasn't about religion, despite the President's statements about Islam:

quote:

The President has lawfully exercised the broad discretion granted to him under §1182(f) to suspend the entry of aliens into the United States. Pp. 9–24.
It is expressly premised on legitimate purposes and says nothing about religion. The entry restrictions on Muslim-majority nations are limited to countries that were previously designated by Congress or prior administrations as posing national security risks. Moreover, the Proclamation reflects the results of a worldwide review process undertaken by multiple Cabinet officials and their agencies.

From Sotomayor's dissent, she cites the court's decision to throw out the wedding cake case:

quote:

Notably, the Court recently found less pervasive official expressions of hostility and the failure to disavow them to be constitutionally significant. Cf. Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Comm’n, 584 U. S. ___, ___ (2018) (slip op., at 18) (“The official expressions of hostility to religion in some of the commissioners’ comments—comments that were not disavowed at the Commission or by the State at any point in the proceedings that led to the affirmance of the order— were inconsistent with what the Free Exercise Clause requires”).

It's really important that government officials not say anything prejudicial to a religion. Unless that religion is one other than Christianity or maybe Judaism.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This timeline sucks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Our media loving blows.

https://twitter.com/danpfeiffer/status/1011564871110963200

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
At least there's this:

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1011615529562529792?s=19

The general view of the court system right now, aside from the robbery of the Gorsuch seat, is basically "Why the gently caress did you elect this idiot? We can't fix this poo poo."

A more liberal court would've got past that concern and fixed the poo poo, but the bottom line still remains that we elected an idiot and will have idiot policies until his term is over.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

this would make a great shirt IMO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Sea Ray is closing 3 plants in Florida due to the EU Tariffs.

https://amp.clickorlando.com/news/sea-ray-closing-operations-in-brevard-flagler-dooming-800-jobs

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Where does it say it has to do with tariffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Where does it say it has to do with tariffs?

http://www.boattest.com/view-news/5950_the_eu_hits_american_boats_with_25_percent_tariff

Its unlikely that they accelerated restructuring for any other reason.

• Locked thread