Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

is there a more serious violation going on than some flyers just under the 100 foot keepout zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

After sleeping on it I'm even more furious. Pelosi and Schumer were absolutely signaling that any sort of real protest is not to be tolerated and no one will be held accountable. It will be a repeat of 2008 where the criminals are let go with a smile and get back to their work of making life miserable for their enemies. They are worse than useless at this point, they are actively dangerous and pushing off everyone to win brownie points with a media trying to soften white supremacy and their donors that get uncomfortable when the public gets too anxious.

They are the biggest hurdles in dealing with Trump as they are in control of the only political body that theoretically could oppose him and using that power instead to protect him and his cohorts. The call for civility is insane when the same day Trump throws another rally attacking his enemies and shows they are either absolutely out of touch with what their voters are dealing with or just don't give a gently caress. Either way they are not leaders in any respect. They are so deluded they think when Trump is gone in 2020 (without them doing anything of course) everything will be fine and they couldn't be more wrong or I'll prepared for what happens next. They are willingly selling out their base for their dream of white conservative moderate racist voters replacing it finally coming true.

If you look at what Chuck Shumer's actually been saying it looks like his idea of resisting is him getting mad at Trump over Twitter because Trump won't let him be a collaborator.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you look at what Chuck Shumer's actually been saying it looks like his idea of resisting is him getting mad at Trump over Twitter because Trump won't let him be a collaborator.

this is exactly what it is, Trump won't let them play controlled opposition and that's literally all the Democratic leadership know

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah that's the feeling I'm getting as well. There's supposed to be a dance where conservative Democrats and Republicans work together while pretending to be opposed but Trump isn't having it and just making GBS threads all over people he wants to.

Complaining that his side is being rude when we are debating literal internment camps for babies is pulling the mask off too cleanly and they really hosed up. If they had just remained silent it would have been enough but any dissent against the Republicans cant be tolerated which is why for almost two years they have dont nothing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 26, 2018

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Radish posted:

After sleeping on it I'm even more furious.

lol

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Radish posted:

They are willingly selling out their base for their dream of white conservative moderate racist voters replacing it finally coming true.

It has literally been true for every election except 16 hth

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jg_environ/status/1011475118760095744?s=19

:lol:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

is there a more serious violation going on than some flyers just under the 100 foot keepout zone

Not how it works. Every violation is serious. You find brown m&ms in the bowl backstage, you flip that whole loving catering table over. You lose your poo poo and make them fear you. A little violation cannot be allowed to slide. Call this election tampering, call the people doing it anti democratic.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

*Chuck Schumerishly* Would it have been right for everyday Germans to walk up to and harass and harangue government officials for being members of the Nazi party? Would it have been right to refuse them service at a Jewish Deli? No. They were better than that and we are better than that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Only skimmed admittedly, but I didnt see anything about economy beyond boycotts in the twitter thread vOv

It's hard to talk about because of how polarized the subject is, but there was a study that was shared a bunch during Obama's second term that found a link between declining quality of life and the adoption of far-right dogma. For as little as 'common sense' logic is worth it does make some sense; the left is often excluded in developed nations, which leaves 'civil' centrism (painted as The Left) vs. hostile conservatism, and if the former fails to provide for the people then their only 'logical' choice is to try the other side.

Obviously this doesnt mean "all Trump supporters are just confused and desperate" but I can speak to personal IRL interactions that a lot of the youth backing Trump do so out of spite or hatred of the "left" (democrats), and/or a desire to find a group that is willing to say there's hope for them to escape their situation (White Supremacy saying they deserve better because they are the superior race).

If you're willing to abandon all morals "things can get better for you if you support this giant party and president" is an easier sell than "things can get better if we find a way to usurp this party that hates our guts then win elections against a spiteful center and the right".

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 26, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's definitely an element that given the Democrats had either entirely abandoned economic issues or considered them a solved problem and the only visible 'left' was Dems and insufferable college kids, a lot of white youth see a left and centre that has literally nothing to offer them. The line of conservatives has been that freaking Hillary Clinton is a communist, until Bernie the actual left simply didn't exist in American political discourse as anything but a punchline.

They're a relatively small group compared to broader Trump supporters, but late capitalism is mass-producing alienated, atomised youth with zero prospects who are basically prime recruits for fascist and terror groups.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In regards to the recent SCOTUS bullshit rulings people are saying we need to pack the courts but lol the Democrats defend Trump administration officials not getting dinner. There's no way they pull a McConnell let alone add seats.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Radish posted:

In regards to the recent SCOTUS bullshit rulings people are saying we need to pack the courts but lol the Democrats defend Trump administration officials not getting dinner. There's no way they pull a McConnell let alone add seats.

Uh...haven't you been seeing the sick stacks of political capital tokens Nancy and Chuck have been building up?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

selec posted:

Not how it works. Every violation is serious. You find brown m&ms in the bowl backstage, you flip that whole loving catering table over. You lose your poo poo and make them fear you. A little violation cannot be allowed to slide. Call this election tampering, call the people doing it anti democratic.

you do know the brown m&m thing was a quick trick to see if the promoter had actually read the contract to make sure the stage didn't sink into some basketball court's floor again, right

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The Muslim ban has been upheld by SCOTUS. :(

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BadOptics posted:

Uh...haven't you been seeing the sick stacks of political capital tokens Nancy and Chuck have been building up?

Why do these things have Chuck E Cheese on them??

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The issue with packing SCOTUS is that it just sets precedent for the next opposing party president to do the same, and then you get a back-and-forth between parties that wipes out the permanence of SCOTUS rulings.

Ideally we'd wait for a point where we could stack the courts and then immediately impose restrictions on stacking the courts.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Neurolimal posted:

The issue with packing SCOTUS is that it just sets precedent for the next opposing party president to do the same, and then you get a back-and-forth between parties that wipes out the permanence of SCOTUS rulings.

Ideally we'd wait for a point where we could stack the courts and then immediately impose restrictions on stacking the courts.

if we ever elected a democrat who did anything there would be no next opposing president

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

Ideally, Gorsuch would resign to avoid such a packing. But since there are no rules in our fantasy-future, why not just pack it anyway?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Might as well pack because the alternative is this clown car we have now for the next 60 years anyway. I'll take the Scotus flipping every 4-8 years as opposed to permanent Republican majority despite them winning the popular vote once in the last 20 years.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1011622514471075840

E: Meant to put this on the succ zone but I guess it's ok here too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/alexkotch/status/1011622514471075840

E: Meant to put this on the succ zone but I guess it's ok here too.

Red state Democrats continue to reap dividends!

Also when people cry about leftists badmouthing Democrats remind them that Pelosi and Schumer literally used their positions to do that yesterday.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

90s Rememberer posted:

if we ever elected a democrat who did anything there would be no next opposing president

pretty much

the only reason we even get Republicans is because they've stacked the deck to allow a rump minority party to stay in power

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you do know the brown m&m thing was a quick trick to see if the promoter had actually read the contract to make sure the stage didn't sink into some basketball court's floor again, right

That's exactly what I'm referencing in terms of why small violations of electoral law need to be treated as if they were immense, because even small violations indicate people are not too concerned with the law at all.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1011625169113272320
https://twitter.com/hegemony_mony/status/1011628530751496192

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think we need "Pack the Court" to go along with "Abolish ICE". Add "Medicare for All" and you have a nice set of three.

Radish posted:

Might as well pack because the alternative is this clown car we have now for the next 60 years anyway. I'll take the Scotus flipping every 4-8 years as opposed to permanent Republican majority despite them winning the popular vote once in the last 20 years.

Yeah, the SCOTUS actually changing to reflect public opinion, even in broad strokes and in as slow a timeframe as 4-8 years, would be cool and good.

The SCOTUS wasn't really that significant in the original Constitution, then it became the backstop for Constitutional violations, and now it's just a partisan tool to be wielded by the party that cares the least about "looking bad."

Party with fewer votes winning elections, widespread voter suppression, constitutional rights applied differently based on your religion, people dying en masse of opioid addiction and preventable diseases, racial minorities being detained and murdered by capricious government power; things are really bad and Chuck Schumer isn't going to fix them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This Crowley guy is really a piece of poo poo, drat.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Neurolimal posted:

Good. The court is a fundamentally reactionary institution that's done far more harm than good in our country's history.

Also, just make DC & PR states and it'll be real hard for the Rs to take the Senate, especially if the Ds actually do something to help people and widen the effective franchise.

Hell, make them 2 states each.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sulphagnist posted:

I think we need "Pack the Court" to go along with "Abolish ICE". Add "Medicare for All" and you have a nice set of three.

Yeah, the SCOTUS actually changing to reflect public opinion, even in broad strokes and in as slow a timeframe as 4-8 years, would be cool and good.

The SCOTUS wasn't really that significant in the original Constitution, then it became the backstop for Constitutional violations, and now it's just a partisan tool to be wielded by the party that cares the least about "looking bad."

Party with fewer votes winning elections, widespread voter suppression, constitutional rights applied differently based on your religion, people dying en masse of opioid addiction and preventable diseases, racial minorities being detained and murdered by capricious government power; things are really bad and Chuck Schumer isn't going to fix them.

There's some benefit to the courts being somewhat resistant to elections since they, despite the SCOTUS, are the only thing acting as any kind of speedbump to the GOP's fascism speedrun. However conversely that one party can luck into a bunch of seats based on nothing other than if the judges die is absurd. The entire American system has been coasting on the two parties bipartisanly shifting things in a certain way despite being broken at a fundamental level so now that Trump decided to just gently caress it go nazi no one can do much about it other than hope voting him out will trigger some sort of fixes. The problem is the Democrats still want to play their part of the sham until the country literally comes apart at the seems and it's becoming increasingly dangerous. Schumer will gladly watch everything burn as long as he keeps his position no matter how powerless he effectively is.

People should look at these ruling and internalize there are literally no good Republicans in office regardless of how nice you are to them. Conservative SCOTUS made a tortured ruling to screw over a minority and literally no one has been uncivil to any of them that they would notice.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 26, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Good. The court is a fundamentally reactionary institution that's done far more harm than good in our country's history.

I dont think setting the table for abortion to flip between legal and illegal every 4-8 years is a good idea

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pack the courts ,gently caress it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

that's just not civil tho

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I dont think setting the table for abortion to flip between legal and illegal every 4-8 years is a good idea

Would you rather it become illegal and just stay that way?

Like what's the other option here?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Radish posted:

There's some benefit to the courts being somewhat resistant to elections since they, despite the SCOTUS, are the only thing acting as any kind of speedbump to the GOP's fascism speedrun. However conversely that one party can luck into a bunch of seats based on nothing other than if the judges die is absurd. The entire American system has been coasting on the two parties bipartisanly shifting things in a certain way despite being broken at a fundamental level so now that Trump decided to just gently caress it go nazi no one can do much about it other than hope voting him out will trigger some sort of fixes. The problem is the Democrats still want to play their part of the sham until the country literally comes apart at the seems and it's becoming increasingly dangerous. Schumer will gladly watch everything burn as long as he keeps his position no matter how powerless he effectively is.

People should look at these ruling and internalize there are literally no good Republicans in office regardless of how nice you are to them. Conservative SCOTUS made a tortured ruling to screw over a minority and literally no one has been uncivil to any of them that they would notice.

Of course, the long-term fix is a truly independent, non-partisan, professional judiciary like everywhere else in the west, but court-packing is a viable medium-term fix and I can't even begin to imagine the effort and risks in uprooting the entire federal judiciary and doing it again from scratch. Never mind state courts.

The SCOTUS is ultimately just a symptom of the underlying disease (problems in a decrepit constitution being freely abused by a hostile political faction), but fixing the disease is going to require fixing the symptoms too. I mean what happens when a blue wave in 2024 or whatever institutes proportional representation and it's struck down as unconstitutional in a naked power grab of a 5-4 decision?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sulphagnist posted:

Of course, the long-term fix is a truly independent, non-partisan, professional judiciary like everywhere else in the west, but court-packing is a viable medium-term fix and I can't even begin to imagine the effort and risks in uprooting the entire federal judiciary and doing it again from scratch. Never mind state courts.

The SCOTUS is ultimately just a symptom of the underlying disease (problems in a decrepit constitution being freely abused by a hostile political faction), but fixing the disease is going to require fixing the symptoms too. I mean what happens when a blue wave in 2024 or whatever institutes proportional representation and it's struck down as unconstitutional in a naked power grab of a 5-4 decision?

We have been in a constitutional crisis for a while but people in power either benefited from it or dont want to risk being called crazy for pointing it out.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

tsa posted:

It has literally been true for every election except 16 hth

lol how is 16 the exception when they did the same thing there (schumer's two white collar republicans for one blue collar democrat quote)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Would you rather it become illegal and just stay that way?

Like what's the other option here?

I mean I just described one

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd call him a baby, but babies have more spine than his milquetoast rear end.

when my son was two we took him to the dentist, when the dentist went to look in his mouth he started punching the poo poo out of the dentist so its true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It owns that we are fast approaching the point that only violent seditious acts are the only option.

• Locked thread