Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Swords and skull are fine if they can be supported well. Giving them a steady supply of creatures to attach to that you can protect is what makes it good, I think. The rest of the deck around them has to be decent and not depend entirely on sfm.

I want to jam 4 into a Company deck so bad

I want my Birds to fly again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

It just had a 2 mana lord printed for it and the best spirit in the deck eats the lunch of a lot of other decks so...maybe?

That lord isn't out for a few more weeks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Star Man posted:

Let me tell you how much worse Company into Hierarch + Image is than Hierarch + lord.

IT'S A LOT WORSE

It's also the only Company I cast in 6 games, and 1 of 2 that I drew. In case anyone ever thought I was lucky.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 23, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

I know, and if the deck is decent now it’s only getting better after.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Between Bant Spirits getting a shot in the arm and the BW Zombie deck I can't get out of my head, my Modern nights might be pretty tribal-heavy going forward. It's too bad Cavern is so drat expensive.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I just easy 3/0 6/0d a modern side event. Is Bant Spirits actually good now?

Jund has fallen out of favor and spirits feel p good honestly. Also come to me supreme phantom.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I played against UWR, affinity, and infect, and only game 2 aginst afffinity where I mulled and had a slow start against his turn 2 Etched Champion was close.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder what it would take for Faeries to be viable in Modern. Probably not Cloud of Faeriea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

I wonder what it would take for Faeries to be viable in Modern. Probably not Cloud of Faeriea.

A decent one drop Faerie

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

A decent one drop Faerie

Thoughtseize doesn't count?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Star Man posted:

Thoughtseize doesn't count?

Thoughtseize should've been Tribal Sorcery - Faerie.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateNu posted:

And it would be $100 or higher right now if it were.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
C-Euro I just jammed your zombies list from a couple pages ago. Seems fun, though I lost to some weird RUG deck that had, like, knuckleblades and X nissas, and then lost to BW tokens. won a game in both cases; the list seems pretty tight but like it's missing something still. I'll let you know if I tinker with it.

e: definitely need answers to resolved enchantments, and maybe Sorin?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

:vince:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

C-Euro I just jammed your zombies list from a couple pages ago. Seems fun, though I lost to some weird RUG deck that had, like, knuckleblades and X nissas, and then lost to BW tokens. won a game in both cases; the list seems pretty tight but like it's missing something still. I'll let you know if I tinker with it.

e: definitely need answers to resolved enchantments, and maybe Sorin?

I tweaked it a bit since posting that one-
4 Concealed Courtyard
3 Godless Shrine
4 Marsh Flats
1 Plains
10 Swamp
1 Cemetery Reaper
4 Cryptbreaker
3 Death Baron
3 Fatal Push
4 Gravecrawler
4 Lord of the Accursed
3 Path to Exile
3 Relentless Dead
2 Smuggler's Copter
4 Thoughtseize
3 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Wayward Servant
//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Celestial Purge
2 Damping Sphere
2 Liliana of the Veil
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Stony Silence
2 Zealous Persecution

I was actually thinking of swapping the Celestial Purges for plain-old Disenchants, so the fact that you say that helps a lot. I also like having some sort of planeswalker in the board for more grindy matches, I switched to LotV since I have them but Sorin's not a bad idea either. And a dedicated sweeper might be better than Persecution.

Did you like Smuggler's Copter? I'm kind of on the fence about it, pitching Gravecrawler or Relentless Dead targets seems rad but it doesn't get any tribal benefits. Could take those out for a Sorin and another two-drop Zombie without goofing up the curve. LotV is also almost certainly maindeckable here, perhaps the correct move is to take out the Copters, move the Lilis MB, and add 2 Sorin SV to the sideboard for longer matches.

E: A fourth Death Baron is probably better than the singleton Cemetery Reaper but I like the idea of using your opponent's graveyard to pump out beefed-up tokens. There's also this dude in M19 with a similar effect, I'll probably try him out at some point.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Double-post to say that my LGS added Legacy night to its rotation of Friday events a while back, but I just learned that it is :siren:full proxy:siren: Legacy and now I feel obligated to put something together. If money is no object, which Legacy deck strikes the best balance between "doesn't take a ton of practice to learn" and "leads to fun and interesting games"?

play UB death's shadow, my friend

Archenteron posted:

It's not quite mono white, but here's some goon's old "Louisiana State Penitentiary" list I saved.

4 Chalice of the Void

4 Detention Sphere
4 Ghostly Prison
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Runed Halo
2 Sigil of the Empty Throne
4 Suppression Field

2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 White Sun's Zenith

3 Glacial Fortress
3 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Mistveil Plains
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
11 Plains
4 Temple of Enlightenment

3 Idyllic Tutor
4 Supreme Verdict

// 15 Sideboard
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 3 Stony Silence
SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 Porphyry Nodes
SB: 2 Greater Auramancy
SB: 3 Timely Reinforcements

this was my list, and some of the most fun I have ever had playing this bad game. I haven't really thought about what i would do with this if i wanted to play it again but suppression field main is probably loose. It was only acceptable when I played it because it put a real damper on pod and twin

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

play UB death's shadow, my friend

this was my list, and some of the most fun I have ever had playing this bad game. I haven't really thought about what i would do with this if i wanted to play it again but suppression field main is probably loose. It was only acceptable when I played it because it put a real damper on pod and twin

Nobody ever expects the suppression field and it low-key fucks with a lot of cards. I'm a fan, but I'm also an rear end in a top hat who liked mono white soldiers in legacy (though in that case you get to poo poo on deathrite which is always the best)

Still annoys fetches, manlands, the non Mana half of Tron, all planeswalkers, lantern, devoted druid's untap, walking ballista, viscera seer infinite, restore balance decks saccing things to Gargadon, Ad Nauseum's lightning storm... So many decks get slightly-to-significantly hindered in a variety of ways, it's hilarious.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 25, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think I got made fun of here a few weeks ago for even suggesting that some people were cashing out crypto to buy into Magic.

Here's someone's story of doing just that in Vegas, to the tune of $100K: https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgfinance/comments/8s6fp8/i_bought_100000_usd_worth_of_dual_lands_in_gp/

If you look back through Finance threads you will also find people drawing correlations between various RL spikes over the last 18 months as relates to BitcoinCash and other crypto swings, and this is on my mind because a mainstream finance podcast (BSB) spent a little while talking about this very matter of factly last week, as well.

Again, I'm not saying this is a primary driver of RL price increases, but there's enough peripheral evidence to believe it's a factor of some kind. The market volume on most of this stuff is paper thin, it's not hard to create a spike.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Sup, rate this deck I made back in the mid 90s. It would always place highly in local comic store tourneys for a year or two. How could I improve it by substituting in cards that were printed in the last 20+ years, without straying too much?

It's called Kird Rape

3 Ball Lightning
1 Berserk
1 Black Lotus
4 Blood Lust
1 Fireball
1 Fork
4 Goblin Balloon Brigade
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Howling Mine
4 Kird Ape
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mon's Goblin Raiders
16 Mountain
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
2 Red Elemental Blast
4 Taiga
1 Wheel of Fortune

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a terrible, awful deck

Mail it to me and I’ll add in a bunch of cards to improve it for you

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

BabyRyoga posted:

Sup, rate this deck I made back in the mid 90s. It would always place highly in local comic store tourneys for a year or two. How could I improve it by substituting in cards that were printed in the last 20+ years, without straying too much?

It's called Kird Rape
Bad name, bad deck. 93-94/Old School has a Naya Zoo deck but it’s obviously a major change.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BabyRyoga posted:

It's called Kird Rape

3 Ball Lightning
1 Berserk
1 Black Lotus
4 Blood Lust
1 Fireball
1 Fork
4 Goblin Balloon Brigade
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Howling Mine
4 Kird Ape
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mon's Goblin Raiders
16 Mountain
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Ruby
2 Red Elemental Blast
4 Taiga
1 Wheel of Fortune

edgy 90's name for an edgy 90's deck. Deck was probably pretty decent in the 90's though. Just call this deck sligh from now on

Questions: Do you want this deck to be good for:
a) the kitchen table?
b) game store casual
c) tournament play (if C, what kind of tournament play)

You're in a happy place because you can make a competitive mono-red standard, modern, or legacy decks (no vintage sorry)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

BabyRyoga posted:

It's called Kird Rape

ya don’t do this

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mezzanon posted:

edgy 90's name for an edgy 90's deck. Deck was probably pretty decent in the 90's though. Just call this deck sligh from now on

Questions: Do you want this deck to be good for:
a) the kitchen table?
b) game store casual
c) tournament play (if C, what kind of tournament play)

You're in a happy place because you can make a competitive mono-red standard, modern, or legacy decks (no vintage sorry)

It was 12 year old me who both built and named the deck :angel:

I don't know, it always seemed to be more of a game store casual deck. It would just do very well in local tournaments due to good drawing luck; I drew the exact cards needed for a turn one turn kill at least twice in tournament play, in quite the memorable fashion. I guess i'd like to see what could be optimized without necessarily making it too similar to existing archetypes. Maybe removing the goblin aspect of it as a whole and using other stuff?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

BabyRyoga posted:

It was 12 year old me who both built and named the deck :angel:

I don't know, it always seemed to be more of a game store casual deck. It would just do very well in local tournaments due to good drawing luck; I drew the exact cards needed for a turn one turn kill at least twice in tournament play, in quite the memorable fashion. I guess i'd like to see what could be optimized without necessarily making it too similar to existing archetypes. Maybe removing the goblin aspect of it as a whole and using other stuff?

Hahaha yeah, 12 year old deck name makes sense.

Here's the thing right now. Your decklist is in a weird place because it will absolutely demolish any casual deck that you put against it, but it will also get destroyed by any actual vintage deck. And your decklist is only legal in vintage.

If you want to play a fun, smashy mono red deck that wins early and has cool play, play modern 8 whack:

18 LANDS
18 Mountain

34 CREATURES
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
2 Goblin Piledriver
4 Legion Loyalist
2 Mogg Fanatic
4 Mogg War Marshal
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
2 Skirk Prospector

8 INSTANTS and SORC.
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Lightning Bolt

SIDEBOARD
1 Abrade
2 Blazing Volley
2 Blood Moon
1 Goblin Chieftain
2 Kari Zev's Expertise
1 Mogg Fanatic
1 Mountain
1 Skullcrack
3 Smash to Smithereens
1 Torpor Orb

If you want to play standard, play mono red:

24 LANDS

24 Mountain
26 CREATURES

2 Ahn-Crop Crasher
3 Bomat Courier
4 Earthshaker Khenra
4 Goblin Chainwhirler
4 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
3 Rekindling Phoenix
4 Soul-Scar Mage

10 INSTANTS and SORC.

4 Abrade
3 Lightning Strike
3 Shock

SIDEBOARD

2 Aethersphere Harvester
2 Chandra's Defeat
3 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
3 Fight with Fire
3 Glorybringer
2 Magma Spray

If you want to play legacy play Burn:

19 LANDS

2 Arid Mesa
1 Barbarian Ring
3 Bloodstained Mire
9 Mountain
4 Wooded Foothills

13 CREATURES

4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
1 Grim Lavamancer
4 Monastery Swiftspear

27 INSTANTS and SORC.

4 Chain Lightning
4 Fireblast
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Price of Progress
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze

1 OTHER SPELLS

1 Sulfuric Vortex

SIDEBOARD

2 Exquisite Firecraft
3 Faerie Macabre
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Karakas
1 Searing Blaze
4 Smash to Smithereens
1 Sulfuric Vortex
1 Vexing Shusher

What you absolutely should do is: sell your moxen, your black lotus, and your taigas and go on a vacation.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Casual follow up for Modern:

I think this is probably what I am going to run after core set comes out:

Deck: Bant Spirits

//Lands
2 Botanical Sanctum
2 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
3 Windswept Heath
(21)

//Spells
4 Collected Company
3 Path to Exile
(7)

//Creatures
4 Drogskol Captain
3 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner
(32)

//Sideboard
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Remorseful Cleric
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Worship
2 Stony Silence
1 Path to Exile
2 Blessed Alliance

You can make an argument for cutting a fetch for a moorland haunt or for an additional cavern of souls. This puts you in a pretty good position against most of the meta, and makes it so that almost all of your sideboard cards can be hits off CoCo.

you lose out on some weird percentage points against eldrazi tron and affinity G1 by cutting the phantasmal images, but you probably gain significantly more with the extra playset of lords.

The cuts I made to make room for Supreme Phantom were 2x phantasmal image, 1x path to exile (moved to board) and 1x steel of the godhead.
Remorseful cleric replaces Rest in Peace all day every day forever, and gets bumped up to a 3x from a 2x

Sideboard breakdown:

you're a tempo and toolbox deck so you try to have all of your sideboard cards pull double duty (aka be good against multiple archetypes)

- Qasali pride mage is good against affinity, bogles, certain versions of scapeshift, KCI. Plus exalted trigger, and you can hit it off CoCo
- Remorseful cleric comes in against any graveyard deck. Dredge, storm, control, delve decks, KCI, etc. Also it has spirit synergy, and is a fine attacking body, and can be hit off CoCo.
- Eidolon of rhetoric comes in against Storm, control, lantern, any deck that you think wants to cast more than one spell per turn. Plus it survives lightning bolt and anger of the gods and can just sit pretty with worship.
- Kataki, War's Wage comes in against artifact heavy decks like tron, affinity, KCI, etc. also a spirit and can be hit off coco. Also remember at comp REL it is your opponents trigger to remember, not yours.
- Worship. Worship + geist of st traft is a game win vs many decks. Especially mardu pyromancer, eldrazi tron, scapeshift, and many creature decks.
- Stony Silence. play stony silence against affinity and tron.
- path to exile: look I had to find room for the fourth path somewhere
- Blessed alliance: Bring in against burn and Bogles, and grixis deaths shadow if you feel spicy. If bogles drops off the face of the earth completely, then you can replace these with rhox war monks.

Validate me you fucks

Edit: I'm probably looking to cut the fourth path from the board for a single path to exile.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 25, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I feel like you either run the Kira or run 21 lands, but not both. 21 seems a little low when you have a four-drop that you want to cast on-curve or sooner, but maybe the Hierarchs ease that pain enough. Could drop the Kira for Path #4 and then have an extra SB slot for another utility creature. I also feel weird seeing a deck with blue mana not run any Ceremonious Rejection but you've told me in the past that the Tron matchup is at least manageable anyway.

Also, would a singleton Horizon Canopy be worth including? The guy at my store who was running Bant Spirits for a while had one and seemed to be glad to have it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 25, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I feel like you either run the Kira or run 21 lands, but not both. 21 seems a little low when you have a four-drop that you want to cast on-curve or sooner, but maybe the Hierarchs ease that pain enough. Could drop the Kira for Path #4 and then have an extra SB slot for another utility creature. I also feel weird seeing a deck with blue mana not run any Ceremonious Rejection but you've told me in the past that the Tron matchup is at least manageable anyway.

Also, would a singleton Horizon Canopy be worth including? The guy at my store who was running Bant Spirits for a while had one and seemed to be glad to have it.

I think the hierarchs make 3 drops manageable enough. I'm not huge on a horizon canopy personally, it just doesn't do enough to wow me in this deck.

The tron matchup is generally pretty close to 50/50. Although I think you lose a couple percentage points by no longer running phantasmal image. (phantasmal image is a perfectly cromulent Ulamog sometimes) The trick with playing against tron is trying to either get under a T4 ugin with a T2 geist. Or holding things (like a collected company or flash attackers) to resolve after an Ugin. Letting an Ugin's - 3 resolve and just Collected company'ing at end step is usually enough to win you the game against tron.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Engineered Explosives is SO MUCH better than Blessed Alliance, Kira is still bad, Gavony is insane and imo play 2 copies. Moorland Haunt is way too slow to ever be good in modern unless there's some massive changes made to the format and Cavern of Souls is not good when your deck already crushes any deck trying to counter your spells. I don't even play 1 and I've never once missed it. Also yeah 21 lands is insane and I really haven't liked having less than 4 Geists, especially now that he'll be a 3/3 much more reliably. Maybe Geist isnt as necessary now with 4 more lords though. I'll have to play some games and see. Kataki + Stony feels really unnecessary.

The biggest problem I'm having is cutting 2 cards for lord 3 + 4. The 2 Images are easy, but I really don't like not having all 4 Paths, especially now that apparently everyone is playing infect again and you can't beat a turn 2 Blighted Agent without one. I want to cut a Wanderer because it's easily the worst spirit but not having a turn 1 play feels so bad and it is actually good in a lot of matchups somehow, especially when combined with Rattlechains for surprise Force Spikes. My thought are -2 Image, -1 Geist, -1 Selfless Spirit and probably moving the Selfless Spirit to the board.

For reference, here is what I'm currently playing.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Engineered Explosives is SO MUCH better than Blessed Alliance, Kira is still bad, Gavony is insane and imo play 2 copies. Moorland Haunt is way too slow to ever be good in modern unless there's some massive changes made to the format and Cavern of Souls is not good when your deck already crushes any deck trying to counter your spells. I don't even play 1 and I've never once missed it. Also yeah 21 lands is insane and I really haven't liked having less than 4 Geists, especially now that he'll be a 3/3 much more reliably. Maybe Geist isnt as necessary now with 4 more lords though. I'll have to play some games and see. Kataki + Stony feels really unnecessary.

The biggest problem I'm having is cutting 2 cards for lord 3 + 4. The 2 Images are easy, but I really don't like not having all 4 Paths, especially now that apparently everyone is playing infect again and you can't beat a turn 2 Blighted Agent without one. I want to cut a Wanderer because it's easily the worst spirit but not having a turn 1 play feels so bad and it is actually good in a lot of matchups somehow, especially when combined with Rattlechains for surprise Force Spikes. My thought are -2 Image, -1 Geist, -1 Selfless Spirit and probably moving the Selfless Spirit to the board.

For reference, here is what I'm currently playing.

I've been on 21 lands for months now and haven't felt bad about it. I have been considering trading the cavern for a second Gavony. Wanderer is so good at such random times, and the extra 4 lords is really going to improve it more.

I'm still waffling on the 4th path. I think 3 geists is the right number for the deck. Why do you hate Kira so much?

Edit: Also, I just don't like engineered explosives as a card (doesn't fit my style), and I refuse to pay that much for it

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 25, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Kira is just so mediocre. You need to play it at sorcery speed, it's worse at protecting your stuff than Selfless Spirit or Rattlechains, it doesn't protect against wraths at all, and it's just a 2/2 flyer for 3 against a lot of decks. I could see it being better in a deck with Aether Vials where it can actually catch your opponent by surprise but there's just no way to do that outside of a Company where you don't have 2 better cards to drop.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Kira seems like one of those cards that's the first to get boarded out after game 1 because everyone is going to bring in sweepers against your deck. That's not necessarily a reason to leave a card out of a deck entirely, but when you're trying to identify cuts to add in something new then that makes it a more attractive card to take out. I have a singleton Kira in my list that I haven't bothered to actually sleeve up :v: and I'm probably cutting Kira, 2 Images and the 22nd land for 4 Supreme Phantoms to start.

Does Image have enough utility to be yet another multi-purpose creature in the sideboard, or is that too cute? Trying to think of decks with big creatures that are worth copying but it seems like the deck should be able to outrace those decks anyway.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Kira is just so mediocre. You need to play it at sorcery speed, it's worse at protecting your stuff than Selfless Spirit or Rattlechains, it doesn't protect against wraths at all, and it's just a 2/2 flyer for 3 against a lot of decks. I could see it being better in a deck with Aether Vials where it can actually catch your opponent by surprise but there's just no way to do that outside of a Company where you don't have 2 better cards to drop.

She's good against fair decks as an additional source of card advantage, and she has flash as long as you control a rattlechains.

maybe my meta is just heavy on jund, grixis, and mardu, but she's always been great against those.

plus I have exceptionally fond memories of resolving Kira + eidolon of rhetoric against a removal deck and it was incredible.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I forgot what I was reading and was about to punch a dude IRL over deep space nine.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

black potus posted:

I forgot what I was reading and was about to punch a dude IRL over deep space nine.

You should anyway for good measure. Odo don't got time for anyone's poo poo.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Real card top, current generation of Chinese counterfeits bottom.

These are the best fakes I've ever seen. The texture is very slightly too glossy, but I think that would wear off with a bunch of riffle shuffling. The title font is not perfect, and that's the biggest tell: rosette looks good to me, we're doing black on top now, light test result is convincing. Tearing these apart, the core looks like the core of a real card. There's no way these would be noticeable in sleeves.

This is gen7 from this particular criminal counterfeiter. The earlier generations were basically nice proxies, but the tech has improved a lot, and at this rate I'm going to be surprised if we don't start seeing cards that I cannot differentiate anymore.

(Note: my personal code of conduct is that I'll never sell/trade/give these away, obviously never use them in sanctioned play, and I'm also not going to talk about where they come from except to say that it's trivial to find). I'm taking these into my LGS with a printout of that zoom so local guys know what's up, after that they're going into a proxy cube.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Real card top, current generation of Chinese counterfeits bottom.

These are the best fakes I've ever seen. The texture is very slightly too glossy, but I think that would wear off with a bunch of riffle shuffling. The title font is not perfect, and that's the biggest tell: rosette looks good to me, we're doing black on top now, light test result is convincing. Tearing these apart, the core looks like the core of a real card. There's no way these would be noticeable in sleeves.

This is gen7 from this particular criminal counterfeiter. The earlier generations were basically nice proxies, but the tech has improved a lot, and at this rate I'm going to be surprised if we don't start seeing cards that I cannot differentiate anymore.

(Note: my personal code of conduct is that I'll never sell/trade/give these away, obviously never use them in sanctioned play, and I'm also not going to talk about where they come from except to say that it's trivial to find). I'm taking these into my LGS with a printout of that zoom so local guys know what's up, after that they're going into a proxy cube.

Those are looking really good. I've debated buying cheap counterfits to put into edh lists to take to conventions so I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars in my pocket just to play with friends.

At the same time, I'm worried that eventually my cards will be valueless because you can't tell the difference.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Those are looking really good. I've debated buying cheap counterfits to put into edh lists to take to conventions so I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars in my pocket just to play with friends.

At the same time, I'm worried that eventually my cards will be valueless because you can't tell the difference.

I haven't played sanctioned legacy in 14 months and I'm pretty tempted to liquidate everything and rebuild in proxies.

If I do it with these, though, I will probably get a permanent-ink PROXY stamp to deface each card with in permanent ink, because I don't want someone to steal these and then dump them on the market proper.

Agree that carrying around 5+ digits in cardboard at conventions full of randos is a bad feeling.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Looking at UW miracles builds that have been doing pretty decent lately. Might test it at local weeklies to see how miracles compares to regular UW control or jeskai, but it's had a few decent results on mtggoldfish. One thing though, most sideboards have a single Lyra Dawnbringer in the sideboard. I get that it's a baneslayer angel that can pump your entreat angels, but what matchup are you bringing it in for? Humans after game 1 when they probably cut reflector mage? Midrange matchups like jund or mardu pyromancer assuming they probably cut some terminate after game 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I haven't played sanctioned legacy in 14 months and I'm pretty tempted to liquidate everything and rebuild in proxies.

If I do it with these, though, I will probably get a permanent-ink PROXY stamp to deface each card with in permanent ink, because I don't want someone to steal these and then dump them on the market proper.

Agree that carrying around 5+ digits in cardboard at conventions full of randos is a bad feeling.

Same. I haven't played legacy for 13 months. I.would probably keep URW poo poo and sell the rest. I have done 5 proxy vintage events though. That's where the real fun is for me now.