Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Having my first bad group project. They do the work but I have to clean up really basic stuff that they should know. Like how to cite a paper properly (we got flagged for plagiarism because they decided to do direct quotes without citations. Guess which section did not get flagger?) And now, we have to do an hour long presentation.

Their script is bad.
Everything they write is in passive sentences.
They open with questions.
They ask for my advice and then negate the comments.

I already talked to my professor once to cover their asses. gently caress doing it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Hey Gents, seeking some advice.

Degree: BA in Economics
Amount left on Post 911 GI Bill: 24 months

Current Situation: Landed a full-time job at a big bank after a veteran internship program. It is corporate America, with insanely boring/unfulfilling work, and I have a passive aggressive micro-manager. Pay is great, but I am becoming more, and more depressed working this job. I have a few government agency applications in process, so I'm praying those pan out. In the meantime, I working on my contingency plan to GTFO.

Interests: Wholeheartedly, my interests are in the public/govt sector. I am also considering re-joining the service as an Officer (This option will remain on the table, as I loved my time in the service, and have no issues going back.)

Graduate Degree: With 24 months left to use on my Post 9/11, I've been thinking about earning a graduates degree. The subject I loved the most during my studies was Political Science / International Relations. Everything from reading the books, sitting in lecture, and most of all, writing research papers...It is the one subject I would love to become a subject matter expert in. Also, some universities, such as Stanford, offer a Masters in Public Policy and Masters in International Policy Dual Degree program.

I feel a graduates degree in this field would be greatly beneficial to my future opportunities: tenure track professor, think tank, government, NGO, etc.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is anyone here in a PhD program? How did you decide to take the leap? My Post 9/11 will cover 24 months of my program, after that it would be scholarships / grants / Yellow Ribbon.

mad_Thick fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 21, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Soulex posted:

Having my first bad group project. They do the work but I have to clean up really basic stuff that they should know. Like how to cite a paper properly (we got flagged for plagiarism because they decided to do direct quotes without citations. Guess which section did not get flagger?) And now, we have to do an hour long presentation.

Their script is bad.
Everything they write is in passive sentences.
They open with questions.
They ask for my advice and then negate the comments.

I already talked to my professor once to cover their asses. gently caress doing it again.

That sucks. At my school, some of the professors require you to write evaluations on your team mates at the end of the term. However, I've never seen anything come of it-even when my whole team wrote about the guy who consistently no called/no showed to meetings with zero excuses after the fact. He still passed with a B, and the rest of us got a B+ in the class.

Just finished up my first 6-week summer term (well, my last final is tonight). I took two classes and was at school from 6:30-9:30 Monday-Thursday. gently caress taking two accelerated summer courses at the same time. I start on Monday with just one class which should be much less of a time commitment.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How long does it usually take for the VA to send your certificate of eligibility? The site says 30 day average but it's the VA so that means nothing to me. Also, is there anywhere to check the status of an application or is it just "wait and see"? The website only tracks claims.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

How long does it usually take for the VA to send your certificate of eligibility? The site says 30 day average but it's the VA so that means nothing to me. Also, is there anywhere to check the status of an application or is it just "wait and see"? The website only tracks claims.

Call 1 (888) 442-4551 and use option zero to speak with a human. Explain your situation and ask for a status update on CoE. They can see the progress notes and give you a better idea of timing. I've spoken with them around a dozen times through varying degrees of BS and they've been very helpful.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The paper I worked on with two professors got accepted for publication in an academic journal after we do some revisions.

I’m about to be a published author!

For anyone curious the paper topic was on the effects (if any) of accounting standards on country development.

I wouldn’t mind keeping up with researching this topic in a PhD program.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mad_Thick posted:

Hey Gents, seeking some advice.

Degree: BA in Economics
Amount left on Post 911 GI Bill: 24 months

Current Situation: Landed a full-time job at a big bank after a veteran internship program. It is corporate America, with insanely boring/unfulfilling work, and I have a passive aggressive micro-manager. Pay is great, but I am becoming more, and more depressed working this job. I have a few government agency applications in process, so I'm praying those pan out. In the meantime, I working on my contingency plan to GTFO.

Interests: Wholeheartedly, my interests are in the public/govt sector. I am also considering re-joining the service as an Officer (This option will remain on the table, as I loved my time in the service, and have no issues going back.)

Graduate Degree: With 24 months left to use on my Post 9/11, I've been thinking about earning a graduates degree. The subject I loved the most during my studies was Political Science / International Relations. Everything from reading the books, sitting in lecture, and most of all, writing research papers...It is the one subject I would love to become a subject matter expert in. Also, some universities, such as Stanford, offer a Masters in Public Policy and Masters in International Policy Dual Degree program.

I feel a graduates degree in this field would be greatly beneficial to my future opportunities: tenure track professor, think tank, government, NGO, etc.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is anyone here in a PhD program? How did you decide to take the leap? My Post 9/11 will cover 24 months of my program, after that it would be scholarships / grants / Yellow Ribbon.

Check with any grad program's job placement. They'll usually publish right on their website. If they have good rates of converting jobs and the outcomes are what you want to do, loving roll with it.

Whatever you do, do not go to law school.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

nwin posted:

That sucks. At my school, some of the professors require you to write evaluations on your team mates at the end of the term. However, I've never seen anything come of it-even when my whole team wrote about the guy who consistently no called/no showed to meetings with zero excuses after the fact. He still passed with a B, and the rest of us got a B+ in the class.

Just finished up my first 6-week summer term (well, my last final is tonight). I took two classes and was at school from 6:30-9:30 Monday-Thursday. gently caress taking two accelerated summer courses at the same time. I start on Monday with just one class which should be much less of a time commitment.

Yeah just got done with our presentation and the differences between performances was large.

It's also really dumb that summer class full time is 12 credits because it makes you have to take two at once like that.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Booger Presley posted:

Call 1 (888) 442-4551 and use option zero to speak with a human. Explain your situation and ask for a status update on CoE. They can see the progress notes and give you a better idea of timing. I've spoken with them around a dozen times through varying degrees of BS and they've been very helpful.

Thanks dude.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So, I pissed off a whole class pretty much.

I killed the final presentation, and we were doing a civil discussion on if street harassment should be punishable by law. We were telling stories about sexual harassment and assault and a lot of the room felt that it was a one sided thing, guys only do it. Guys recounted different. We told stories about us and I mentioned that if anyone assaulted me from behind, my first instinct is to fight back. I said I'd hit back.

A student said "So youd hit a woman?"
I said yes, in self-defense or threat of danger to someone else.
"That's all I needed to hear." And three other women jumped in saying "me too" tried to explain but it wouldn't matter.

Saw the professor afterward and she knew immediately what I was talking about and even heard me saying that the discussions were causing issues that were evident in today's presentation. Basically each group gives a presentation on a controversial topic, we all talk about it in a invitational way as to see other perspectives and not change others'. Because groups still work on presentations as we discuss our issues (which we often disagreed on), this caused group cohesion to drop.

Feels good having a professor see through the bullshit. One of the harder classes I've taken based on the amount of work, but that's all done with.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Soulex posted:

So, I pissed off a whole class pretty much.

I killed the final presentation, and we were doing a civil discussion on if street harassment should be punishable by law. We were telling stories about sexual harassment and assault and a lot of the room felt that it was a one sided thing, guys only do it. Guys recounted different. We told stories about us and I mentioned that if anyone assaulted me from behind, my first instinct is to fight back. I said I'd hit back.

A student said "So youd hit a woman?"
I said yes, in self-defense or threat of danger to someone else.
"That's all I needed to hear." And three other women jumped in saying "me too" tried to explain but it wouldn't matter.

Saw the professor afterward and she knew immediately what I was talking about and even heard me saying that the discussions were causing issues that were evident in today's presentation. Basically each group gives a presentation on a controversial topic, we all talk about it in a invitational way as to see other perspectives and not change others'. Because groups still work on presentations as we discuss our issues (which we often disagreed on), this caused group cohesion to drop.

Feels good having a professor see through the bullshit. One of the harder classes I've taken based on the amount of work, but that's all done with.

That's really loving dumb but I've met some reactionary idiots in college so far. Its not like you were talking about going Ray Rice on people. Self defense is self defense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don’t comment on gender issues in college.

Just don’t.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Just don’t.

Oh yeah there's also that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

Just don’t.

It was a gender studies class

had to take it because there were basically no other options. Better than I thought it was going to be.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Haaaaa.

I loving just poo poo myself. I went to my mailbox and saw a letter from the Dean's office. I thought, "well that was loving fast." and assumed it was a complaint from this morning. The school is literally right down the road from me.

Nope.

It was congratulations on being selected for First Honors for the last semester. I was on academic probation last year.

They suggested I go for some scholarships called Fulbright, Rhodes, and Goldwater. Anyone have experience with these?

I'm still waiting on my word back from the scholarship people. Should know something next month maybe. Thanks again to everyone that helped.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Congrats dude!

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I just finished my first week at my summer job/internship. It's a unionized job in my major (GIS) which seems pretty much unheard of, and it seems like people tend to stay here for their entire careers. Not bad, it'll be :krad: to maybe get a permanent position out of this.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I'm riding high. Got connected with a Pat Tillman scholar. I know what I gotta go for to get it so next semester is gonna be insanely busy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Apply for Rhodes for sure, it's prestigious

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

I'm riding high. Got connected with a Pat Tillman scholar. I know what I gotta go for to get it so next semester is gonna be insanely busy.

Report back here what you find/learn, please. I know there’s gotta be more than just me who wants to know.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Report back here what you find/learn, please. I know there’s gotta be more than just me who wants to know.

These are the notes I took after talking to ole dude.

It's a service based scholarship, as in they want people who give back to the community type poo poo. High caliber, high visibility, very competitive, as in Doctors and lawyers will be your competition. That sounds scary but don't be intimidated at all. Also if you didn't have the full honorable after 4-6-8-whatever many years, don't sweat it. I got 2 years and a general. That has to be explained but the guy was like "Ok so you got that and then you went to school, you got into Columbia just now. There's a story to be told about breaking through barriers and overcoming. Tell that story."

As I understand it, the game plan in the lead up to the application period is to volunteer your rear end off and do community service. NOT JUST VETERAN poo poo. You wanna accentuate that in your application especially. You want to reach out to the people who are Pat Tillman scholars at your school already and make that connection. You can search by school and find them here: http://pattillmanfoundation.org/meet-our-scholars/

I lucked out and the Veterans Support Services department head at Queens College has had my back these past two years. The CUNY system has produced just 1 Pat Tillman scholar in recent years and reaching him was as simple as a phone call. The guy was super loving chill, briefed me on everything I wanted to know going forward, and we're going to stay in touch throughout the process. I don't expect to have any difficulty reaching out to other Pat Tillman Scholars, either directly or at mixers they hold closer to the application period.

The next application period opens in February 2019. I'm going to be meeting with the Fellowships adviser at Columbia as well as reaching out to the Pat Tillman scholars we have on campus. I'm basically going to paint a picture for this thread of how the process looks, as I go through it.

Hope that was useful. Let me know if there are any other questions and I'll do my best to find out.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 23, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Apply for Rhodes for sure, it's prestigious

I assume this was directed to Soulex but I'm loving old or I would. Kinda bums me out thinking of my life choices up to this point. If I was wired this way just a few years back, I could pull poo poo like that off. But gently caress it, no regrets.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I got my VA claim approved for 60% and got my back pay on the same day I did my school orientation and it was one of the greatest and most liberating feelings in the world. Still probably going to try again for the hearing loss since it’s service connected but 0% somehow despite me not being half deaf in one ear coming in and coming out half deaf in one ear. Makes social situations awkward when I have to swap sides while walking or seats with people and of course having to say “what” all the time and not being able to comfortably use a phone and do something else at the same time.

Orientation was....something. I sat next to at least one person who didn’t shower before going to this thing and most people going to this school seem to live within an hour of it and some have seemingly never managed to go two states over despite this being the northeast and that being not much of a feat. I was the only person who was able to complete the course registration form on their own so while I was just sitting there the professor would ask me random easy math questions then I’d answer them and he’d just stare at everyone else struggling to use a laptop. He said I was going to do well at this school.

Kind of nervous I’m going to a retarded people university.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 26, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's the joys of being a non traditional student. Shits easy, yo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You can also ways transfer. Some credits might not go though

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Deathy. Tell me about fireman carrying The Mare out of a party.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I got out June 2007. I used up the majority, but not all of my time before graduating in 2014.

Is my GI Bill eligibility expired?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GD_American posted:

I got out June 2007. I used up the majority, but not all of my time before graduating in 2014.

Is my GI Bill eligibility expired?

No it shouldn’t be. And you should post here in GiP more often.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Legislation recently passed to make Post-9/11 good for forever rather than for just 15 years. If you have at least 10% service connected disability you should apply for vocational rehabilitation and employment, also known as chapter 31.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Legislation recently passed to make Post-9/11 good for forever rather than for just 15 years. If you have at least 10% service connected disability you should apply for vocational rehabilitation and employment, also known as chapter 31.

I took chapter 31 all the way to my bachelor's; I'm a few years away from hitting a soft ceiling at my job without a Master's. I've gotten conflicting answers on whether Chapter 31 will pay for post-grad (I'm kinda assuming it's negative). I will miss those twice-yearly 100 dollar office supply shopping trips :)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Voc Rehab is gonna expedite my poo poo. I wish I got told to just simply ask them if they could expedite it instead of "wait for the letter and stay in touch" by the old WWP rep. New one seems on the ball and he was like "listen, just be chill and ask em, mention the columbia thing, mention you got a deadline, and hopefully it works out if you get the right person on the phone."

That's p much how it turned out. Week or two I should get my letter. Which reminds me, now I need to REALLY make sure my poo poo's straight for that.

E: so how does this poo poo work. Like I've been told how it works before but just so I got it fresh on the mind. This is how I recall it goes. You go to orientation, have a folder with some examples of job postings, and convince the VA Counselor that you need all this education to do what you want to do.

For example: "I need this ivy league master's degree to become the top flight *insert three letter government agency here* analyst of the world. Voc Rehab will help me get there and also ensure I have the tools needed to not become one of these people when entering the work force."

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 29, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

GD_American posted:

I took chapter 31 all the way to my bachelor's; I'm a few years away from hitting a soft ceiling at my job without a Master's. I've gotten conflicting answers on whether Chapter 31 will pay for post-grad (I'm kinda assuming it's negative). I will miss those twice-yearly 100 dollar office supply shopping trips :)

Oh nice.

Then yeah, use whatever you've got left on your 9/11. No expiration anymore.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cool beans. Thanks for the help, y'all.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Motherfucker (Positive kind) if true. I've been overloading myself with school because benefits expire prior to graduation. This is good.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Booger Presley posted:

Motherfucker (Positive kind) if true. I've been overloading myself with school because benefits expire prior to graduation. This is good.

Yes it is. Here's more information about it.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Many words. Thanks! This definitely widens my options, and relieves a fair amount of stress.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Booger Presley posted:

Many words. Thanks! This definitely widens my options, and relieves a fair amount of stress.

Like and subscribe, support my Patreon

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahaha, nice

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

:piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004