Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It is kind of weird how I agree with the Bad Dude in this situation, even in this episode whenever it showed them saving people I was thinking about how they'll just get logged out and it won't really matter if they get destroyed. It's actual a super believable motivation for somebody to be pissed off at GBN if they did Gunpla Battle in any of the old seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The high stakes of breaking gunpla, which got no mentions other than Sei going "I got a giant box of spare parts." And was barely treated as an actual concern.

dudermcbrohan posted:

to be fair, the 00 gundam is very familiar with doing some real dumb bullshit in canon

The 00 did this exact thing in the series/movie, even curing GN cancer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schubalts posted:

The high stakes of breaking gunpla, which got no mentions other than Sei going "I got a giant box of spare parts." And was barely treated as an actual concern.

Not counting the final episode, where they had to borrow parts from their friends, or when Fellini was going to self-destruct the Wing Fenice. You're right, Sei saying "I'll rebuild it no matter what, just fight!" to Reiji didn't have any plot consequences at all. But it established a level of trust between Sei and Reiji, and helped communicate how they felt about the battle with Yuuki

Gunpla damage never mattered in terms of plot, but it lent emotional weight to the battles. Something severely lacking in the followup series that don't feature Gunpla damage

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not counting the final episode, where they had to borrow parts from their friends, or when Fellini was going to self-destruct the Wing Fenice. You're right, Sei saying "I'll rebuild it no matter what, just fight!" to Reiji didn't have any plot consequences at all. But it established a level of trust between Sei and Reiji, and helped communicate how they felt about the battle with Yuuki

Gunpla damage never mattered in terms of plot, but it lent emotional weight to the battles. Something severely lacking in the followup series that don't feature Gunpla damage

They've already established that getting your gunpla hosed up or totaled has consequences in this world, despite it being a video game. Riku blowing out the GN drives when he lost to Ogre caused the 00 to have to spend time in the repair hangar, though it's not clear how much.

That's about as much meaningful effect as gunpla damage had in GBF. Hell, even when Fenice was totally and utterly destroyed by Aila(the most brutal act of destruction on a gunpla in the show), Fellini disappeared and reappeared with a rebuilt and upgraded one within a day or two.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sorry guys i can't raid, my gunpla's cooldown timer still has six hours left

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

sorry guys i can't raid, my gunpla's cooldown timer still has six hours left

Would you like to buy a repair accelerator to get back in the action now? Only €4.99!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's actually not quite right. While it doesn't have an impact on the plot, damaging the kits dictated how they were upgraded in the story. For example; The Wing Gundam Fenice getting wrecked meant Felini had to rebuild it anyway, so he upgraded it in the process to the Fenice Rinascita.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

They've already established that getting your gunpla hosed up or totaled has consequences in this world, despite it being a video game. Riku blowing out the GN drives when he lost to Ogre caused the 00 to have to spend time in the repair hangar, though it's not clear how much.

I think the problem is more how characters treat the consequences. Their reactions aren't "Aww shucks, guess I can't do anymore battles today." they're more "Aaagh help, I'm gonna actually factually die."

It hardly feels like Riku's crew even play the game that much anyways. I mean, we know for a fact he's not allowed to play more than 2 hours a day. Good thing the Mass Diver singularity happened during Riku's very limited play time.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

I think the problem is more how characters treat the consequences. Their reactions aren't "Aww shucks, guess I can't do anymore battles today." they're more "Aaagh help, I'm gonna actually factually die."

It hardly feels like Riku's crew even play the game that much anyways. I mean, we know for a fact he's not allowed to play more than 2 hours a day. Good thing the Mass Diver singularity happened during Riku's very limited play time.

Speaking of Riku he came off as being adverse to team play and almost a glory hog. I know MC and the magical girl from another world is riding shotgun with him. But every time someone gave him an order he refused and then begged for a star slot on the grounds of loving GBN and he can protect it. It all played out like they were organizing a raid and Riku would just try to last hit the boss regardless of the roll he was assigned.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RillAkBea posted:

Them acting like they're dying is just playing to the drama of the moment, pretty much. In GBF you had Meijin and Sei's dad staying behind to guard the wrecked remains of China and Aila's gunpla instead of helping Sei and Reiji stop the out of control crystal because they acted like the two of them were going to die if their units blew up, and nobody questioned this despite the loss of their gunpla being kind of a minor thing in the face of "berserk plavsky crystal going out of control". I consider it like yelling out in fear if something jump scares you in a video game, or how some people get super twitchy and move with their character in a heavy action game.

I have a feeling that "two hours a day" thing was completely forgotten by the writers and was pretty much just mandated because this is targeted at kids and you want to make sure the kids eat their vegetables and do their homework instead of spending 6 hours a day playing vidja games.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In this case, the drama makes a bit more sense. They’re racing against the clock to capture and identify the dude sabotaging the game (and, later, racing against the clock to prevent him from irreparably wrecking said game), and because they locked the server to trap him, any character deaths will be permanent until the operation ends. In other words, if you die, you’ll no longer be able to help stop him. Not only that, but once the Biggest Zam starts directly erasing and corrupting data, there’s a decent chance your account will be unrecoverable if it gets you.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Speaking of Riku he came off as being adverse to team play and almost a glory hog. I know MC and the magical girl from another world is riding shotgun with him. But every time someone gave him an order he refused and then begged for a star slot on the grounds of loving GBN and he can protect it. It all played out like they were organizing a raid and Riku would just try to last hit the boss regardless of the roll he was assigned.

This show definitely has not played out the way the prologue showed off. (Not to any huge surprise)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

In this case, the drama makes a bit more sense. They’re racing against the clock to capture and identify the dude sabotaging the game (and, later, racing against the clock to prevent him from irreparably wrecking said game), and because they locked the server to trap him, any character deaths will be permanent until the operation ends. In other words, if you die, you’ll no longer be able to help stop him. Not only that, but once the Biggest Zam starts directly erasing and corrupting data, there’s a decent chance your account will be unrecoverable if it gets you.

Well if we're coming from the tech angle then why didn't the admins force shutdown, patch out the break decal exploit and restore from backup?

The show just feels really flimsy with it's internal logic, which is annoying considering how many episodes they wasted trying to explain the world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Well if we're coming from the tech angle then why didn't the admins force shutdown, patch out the break decal exploit and restore from backup?

The show just feels really flimsy with it's internal logic, which is annoying considering how many episodes they wasted trying to explain the world.

Because they had that discussion a few episodes back and explained the guy 2eas either an insanely good hacker or had root access permission to GBN's core code. It's not something patching or a forced shutdown would fix.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

The whole point was to avoid something as disruptive as a system shutdown. I imagine that given Break Decal interference, you’d have to go back quite some way and lose a great deal of data to do a system restore.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Yeah the whole gunpla taking damage wasn't a huge plot crux that often in the older series, but as a villain motivation in a series focused around a virtual reality game, I think it's a understandable frustration in everyone moving to a new version of a game. I've definitely felt that way about mechanics in sequels and reboots of games I've played myself. I just find it weirdly relatable in that sense. Which kind of makes him the most interesting character in the show for me now, even if he is going about it in a lovely way. Koichi was before, but they sidelined him super hard so now I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out when they meet up again.

I do miss the gunpla building scenes though, we've barely had any of that in this one.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they had that discussion a few episodes back and explained the guy 2eas either an insanely good hacker or had root access permission to GBN's core code. It's not something patching or a forced shutdown would fix.

Darth Walrus posted:

The whole point was to avoid something as disruptive as a system shutdown. I imagine that given Break Decal interference, you’d have to go back quite some way and lose a great deal of data to do a system restore.
And I could buy that excuse up until now but on the verge of the entire game being deleted by a megalomaniac who has made himself invincible to player attacks, the admins response is still "Well let's see how this plays out..."

Also an infuriating reminder, we're 12 episodes in and Riku has yet to ask Sara any normal human questions as far as we've seen, and yet there still seems to be a PG-safe romantic relationship forming. :argh:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The green wings were dumb and the fight was boring.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the wings if they had the consequence they should (they literally shattered the GN Drives, so the 00 Diver is now effectively worthless). Of course, that's not the case, because the battle ended there and then, but if that comes up in further combat it'll be neat. It's still an asspull though, but the concept of special moves was already said before and having giant GN wings is not something out of place for a 00 variant, definitely not more than the AGE-2 having a Raiser Sword.

That doesn't change the fact that this series keeps trying to milk emotions out of me and utterly fails. I don't care about what the bad guy is doing or how people are getting shot down because it genuinely does not matter. There's nothing at stake, but the series keeps pretending the world is. It's like they completely missed the point of Mister Ral's message, that not having anything at stake is completely fine and people can care and put all their efforts in anyways. Instead we get a series that constantly tries to push how serious and important the danger is but...there's no danger. The people shot down will just have to stop playing for a bit because they can't join the fight, but they act as if they were dead or something. This isn't SAO (not like that's a good example to follow).

All of that said, Evil Haro and the Biggest Zam were unintentionally hilarious so...uhh...accidental good job there? Also Ayame is still fully likable despite overreacting just like the rest, but I guess that's because she's an actual character and her motivation is not completely stupid (she just wants her Gunpla back, man. It has memories in it), putting her far above Riku or, even worse, Yukki, who I have genuinely forgotten if he had any sort of personality or he just existed from day one to say "Riku" every so often.

And uhh...is it just me or this episode felt like Bandai really wants this series to appear in SRW? Lots of cut-ins that wouldn't look out of place at all in that kind of game.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I didn't even fully enjoy bad Haro because after wolf guy grabbed Haro's cloak and a Haro jumped out the door I was just wondering why he'd had a human face until he very conveniently didn't. Even when he's piloting the Biggest Zam he's barely animated, taking a lot of the potential comedy out of the scene. I wish there'd been a Haro pushing decals on people all along. Maybe a different color or with some new distinguishing mark drawn on every appearance. A goatee in one episode, a hat in another, an evil smirk in a third and so on. Then have the Haro in a tiny specialized cockpit working all the buttons and pedals instead of just two levers.

Even the Biggest Zam was kind of a disappointment, because when Riku is flying around in trans-am two of the toe missiles smash in to each other and one stabs through the other so I was hoping he'd use one of them as a temparary weapon to damage the Biggest Zam and give everyone the idea to use it's own power against it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

tsob posted:

I wish there'd been a Haro pushing decals on people all along. Maybe a different color or with some new distinguishing mark drawn on every appearance. A goatee in one episode, a hat in another, an evil smirk in a third and so on. Then have the Haro in a tiny specialized cockpit working all the buttons and pedals instead of just two levers.

Stop drilling you hit oil!

tsob posted:

Even the Biggest Zam was kind of a disappointment, because when Riku is flying around in trans-am two of the toe missiles smash in to each other and one stabs through the other so I was hoping he'd use one of them as a temparary weapon to damage the Biggest Zam and give everyone the idea to use it's own power against it.
But in our drug metaphor that's basically saying the only way to beat a meth addict is to give him more meth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I didn't even fully enjoy bad Haro because after wolf guy grabbed Haro's cloak and a Haro jumped out the door I was just wondering why he'd had a human face until he very conveniently didn't. Even when he's piloting the Biggest Zam he's barely animated, taking a lot of the potential comedy out of the scene. I wish there'd been a Haro pushing decals on people all along. Maybe a different color or with some new distinguishing mark drawn on every appearance. A goatee in one episode, a hat in another, an evil smirk in a third and so on. Then have the Haro in a tiny specialized cockpit working all the buttons and pedals instead of just two levers.

While I do agree they could've done more with Evil Haro antics, there's at least a point to the reveal; Thinking the guy is just a regular account gives everyone something to focus on; ID who he is, ban the poo poo out of his account, and the problem goes away. Revealing him to be a Haro in disguise makes it a hell of a lot harder to realistically stop him; He'll just do what literally every hacker in an MMO has even done and spin up a new disposable guest account.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Couple new suits from the manga

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guy Goodbody posted:

Couple new suits from the manga

G-Else looks sweet, maybe a transformed version of the other. Besides colours I think only the face and feet are different.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

G-Else looks sweet, maybe a transformed version of the other. Besides colours I think only the face and feet are different.

The feet are rotated 180 degrees, the face might be a drop-down mask. One of the G-Self's abilities was shifting its colour scheme to match its equipment packs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The feet are rotated 180 degrees, the face might be a drop-down mask. One of the G-Self's abilities was shifting its colour scheme to match its equipment packs.

And the shoulder panels rose up, Unicorn style

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The only thing I can't spot the transformation for is the v fin mustache thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

The only thing I can't spot the transformation for is the v fin mustache thing.

I think they're overlaid on the horns and lower from there.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

G-Self Dark Matter looks legit cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That another Gyobu design? I may be mistaken here, but IIRC, the G-Self was the one G-Reco design he didn’t do. On the other hand, this redesign feels Gyobu as gently caress.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

That episode could have been 10 minutes long and miss nothing. Astray No Name was fantastic, the death of 00 Diver was good. Everything else was meh.

I kinda want Tsukasa to join the superfriends so we can see more of his edgy gunpla but I bet the reincarnation of 00 Diver would still hog the glory.

Also I guess that's one of the secret gunpla fromthe hobby show revealed and the other's probably Riku's new ride.

EDIT: Awww yeah, that's the stuff.

https://twitter.com/HobbySite/status/1011540896708325377?s=19

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 26, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Yeah. That was weird how no one felt betrayed by Ayname. In fact the reverse of everyone instantly trying to make it up to her instead of the other way around. But she did sort of betray them then instantly switch sides to help them in the weakest of betrayals.

And Sarah wtf? Who calls someone in the middle of a true gunpla battle to tell them explicitly that they can't help? Was she just implying that every win Riku's had till now was only possible thanks to her? Not to mention Riku's talk of teamwork and friendship goes out the window as soon as he gets a message from a total stranger to meet irl in an abandoned warehouse. Kid is stupid.

Astray no-name was beautiful though. I wanna Know how it disappears from the guys hand when slapping the sad elf's hand. But reappears an instant later.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is it just me, or does it look like Riku's new Gunpla is going to be a Wing Gundam?

Sazabi posted:

And Sarah wtf? Who calls someone in the middle of a true gunpla battle to tell them explicitly that they can't help? Was she just implying that every win Riku's had till now was only possible thanks to her? Not to mention Riku's talk of teamwork and friendship goes out the window as soon as he gets a message from a total stranger to meet irl in an abandoned warehouse. Kid is stupid.

Yes, why did his friend call to offer her emotional support and concern for the dangerous thing he was doing on his own? :thunk:.

Also his talk of teamwork and friendship went out the window because he was doing something dangerous and wanted to keep them safe. This is like Shonen Protagonist 101, it's not exactly a new character fallacy.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is it just me, or does it look like Riku's new Gunpla is going to be a Wing Gundam?

I sort of expected it to be another 00 clone or maybe a Qanta to keep on theme, but now you've said that, I will accept nothing less.

Edit: Looking at it, yeah the arms are sort of in that direction but the head, waist and legs are still very 00.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 26, 2018

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man that astray design loving owned. I want an mg of it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monaghan posted:

Same, that thing kicked rear end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

I sort of expected it to be another 00 clone or maybe a Qanta to keep on theme, but now you've said that, I will accept nothing less.

Edit: Looking at it, yeah the arms are sort of in that direction but the head, waist and legs are still very 00.

Part of it is the big magical wings seem to be something they're gonna revisit with ~The Other Group~, and nothing says big magic wings like the Wing Zero Custom.

The real question is Will it come with the comically-oversized sword? :v:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

There's something perfect about the villain of this show being the one trying to add an element of jeopardy to things.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Possibly as close as you'll get:
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/06/hgbd-1144-gundam-astray-no-name-release.html?m=1

Looks nice, but will probably be expensive with a lot of leftover parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Turns out the bad guy is right, the fights matter a lot more when there's a Gunpla on the line.

Which is somewhat disheartening that we're immediately gonna return to meaningless consequence-free game fights

• Locked thread