Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I wrote with nothing but blue-black for years. Some favorites: Lamy, Diamine, and J. Herbin Bleu Nuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Wife surprised me with a Pilot Custom 743 FA for my birthday. Filled it up with some Asa-gao and wrote my grandmother a letter on some Tomoe River. Felt really, really nice!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Moral_Hazard posted:

Thanks for the blue-black suggestions

Is there a US retailer that sells Souboku? I've been having no luck finding one, even on ebay. That shade looks perfect.

Also, is this Fuyu no Onkata? https://www.kingdomnote.com/item/2717003239532 I can't read Kanji at all.

Partially fake edit:

Souboku is, like, really new. It was supposed to come out in April but only began showing up in stores about three weeks ago. Give it a little while.

And yes, that's Fuyu no Onkata.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I inked up my imperial black pro gear tonight, and goddamn what a great nib on that pen.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I'm quite partial to R&K Leipziger Schwarz.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve just dipped into this world, and it’s amazing what’s available at normal shops in Japan. I’ve picked up a medium Pilot Kaküno and a fine Pilot Cocoon, and both are very good starters - the Cocoon handles especially well.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Kakuno is the absolute kid-friendly starter pen, and the Cocoon is the Japanese domestic version of the Pilot Metro we talk about in the thread title. They’re both brilliant and disgustingly affordable. And yes — the fountain pen game is strong even at typical stationery stores in Japan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kessel posted:

Kakuno is the absolute kid-friendly starter pen, and the Cocoon is the Japanese domestic version of the Pilot Metro we talk about in the thread title. They’re both brilliant and disgustingly affordable. And yes — the fountain pen game is strong even at typical stationery stores in Japan.

even at full Tokyu Hands prices the Cocoon is good (I also have one of the ballpoint versions of that, very happy with both). Didn't know it was the same as the Metro, but then the praise makes full sense.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Cocoon has better colors. I wish they offered plain bands in the retro pop colors, because I wouldn't mind having a red metro, but I don't like the pattern on it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Uh, are those 308's just Jinhao 992's?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Professor Shark posted:

Uh, are those 308's just Jinhao 992's?

No. Different body materials, different body construction, and PenBBS pens use #6 sized nibs. 992s are smaller and use #5 sized nibs.

They're both copies of the Sailor Procolour 500 though, which is why they look so similar.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Has Lamy discontinued broad nibs for the Safari? I decided to just go ahead and buy a broad nib--either a new Safari with a broad nib, or just a replacement nib to swap onto my current one. Either way is good with me. But I've scoured the internet and no one seems to be selling broad nibs at all except third party sellers on Amazon and Ebay that are probably selling counterfeits. Everyone trustworthy--Goulet, jetpens, etc.--sells pretty much everything Lamy except broad nibs which are out of stock.

I realize I'm weird and want something that's the opposite of what the vast majority of the market wants.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jetpens has them in stock? https://www.jetpens.com/Lamy-Fountain-Pen-Nib-Stainless-Steel-Finish-Broad/pd/3630

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

grack posted:

No. Different body materials, different body construction, and PenBBS pens use #6 sized nibs. 992s are smaller and use #5 sized nibs.

They're both copies of the Sailor Procolour 500 though, which is why they look so similar.

Right, I forgot that the 992 was a "homage"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A friendly PSA: Don't drop your Lamy 2000, or you'll wind up having to pay people like me a bunch of money to fix it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Opus 88 Kolero: threads, so many threads. Also, number 5 nibs are so teeny-tiny

Other than that, really nice pen

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trip Report: I gave out 992's, Diamine ink, and little Moleskine notebooks to my students and showed them how to fill their pens. They were very happy and excited!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Hey, fountain pen thread. If I had a Montblanc 149 from the late 80s or mid 90s with a broken piston, what are my options? I'm afraid Montblanc is going to charge me an arm and a leg and replace tons of stuff (sentimental value, I would like to preserve as much of the pen as possible), but I don't know if anybody besides Montblanc would have the stuff to repair it.

The piston damage is simple, the worm screw is just broken off of the cap/knob. I could drat near just superglue/epoxy the thing myself if I weren't afraid of somehow sealing the piston mechanism shut permanently.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Remora posted:

Hey, fountain pen thread. If I had a Montblanc 149 from the late 80s or mid 90s with a broken piston, what are my options? I'm afraid Montblanc is going to charge me an arm and a leg and replace tons of stuff (sentimental value, I would like to preserve as much of the pen as possible), but I don't know if anybody besides Montblanc would have the stuff to repair it.

The piston damage is simple, the worm screw is just broken off of the cap/knob. I could drat near just superglue/epoxy the thing myself if I weren't afraid of somehow sealing the piston mechanism shut permanently.

This person seems to be in a similar situation to you and the price seems alright.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Opus 88 Kolero: threads, so many threads. Also, number 5 nibs are so teeny-tiny

Other than that, really nice pen

The Demonstrator version uses a #6 nib.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
OK, cheap chinapen question: Just got a pair of Wing Sung 3008s delivered and they seem pretty good, except the nibs just fall off both of them. It looks like they're designed to slide over little channels on the feed, and reddit says maybe superglue in these channels, but that doesn't seem right. Clamping with my fingers doesn't work, and I really don't want to take pliers to them and risk breaking the feed. Anyone have and fix this issue?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Take nib off of feed, pinch together with your fingers, put nib back on feed. Repeat as necessary.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

grack posted:

Take nib off of feed, pinch together with your fingers, put nib back on feed. Repeat as necessary.

Seriously, I am so loving dumb. Duh.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I bought another Delta

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

I bought another Delta

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in healing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in healing.

The only "problem" I see is finding models I want at reasonable prices. I mean, it's not like my Delta pens threaten to beat me if I don't continually buy them or anything. Oh no, it's certainly nothing like that!

oh god send help

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Kinokuniya in Seattle has a really cute stationery section. Sold a friend on some Parallels and grabbed myself another Preppy and some Parallel ink there yesterday.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
So I pretty much only use my Moonman M2 about once a week for grading and it hasn't dried out once compared to my Lamy safari. This pen is great.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just got by first broad-nibbed pen (Pelikan M600) and I’m loving the feel of it, but I find myself having to press harder than with my EFs to get things going. Like, with my EF Parker I barely have to touch the page and it’ll write, whereas this B nib seems to have a smaller sweet spot and to require more pressure if I want to avoid hard starts (skipping isn’t a problem). Am I doing something wrong?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Wengy posted:

Just got by first broad-nibbed pen (Pelikan M600) and I’m loving the feel of it, but I find myself having to press harder than with my EFs to get things going. Like, with my EF Parker I barely have to touch the page and it’ll write, whereas this B nib seems to have a smaller sweet spot and to require more pressure if I want to avoid hard starts (skipping isn’t a problem). Am I doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, it's likely that the tipping on your pen is overpolished. It's something that can be fixed easily enough but will require the use of Micromesh or a similar abrasive. If you don't have Micromesh or you're not comfortable using it, I'd suggest exchanging the pen if you can.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

grack posted:

You're not doing anything wrong, it's likely that the tipping on your pen is overpolished. It's something that can be fixed easily enough but will require the use of Micromesh or a similar abrasive. If you don't have Micromesh or you're not comfortable using it, I'd suggest exchanging the pen if you can.

Hm, I got it from nibs.com and they’re supposed to check for this stuff before sending pens out... :(
I just gave it a thorough cleaning, unscrewed the nib, cleaned everything out, put the nib back in and reinked the pen - so far it performs much better. Hope it’s just starting pains.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Pelikans should be very wet writers, especially a broad. My Pelikan (M nib) is my smoothest, wettest writer. Pelikan inks are actually a bit "drier" to account for this. I've also read that Nibs.com has (anecdotally) suffered a bit of a service dip. Speculation is that the guy running it is either too busy with custom nib grind orders, or isn't able to produce as much as he used to and has hired in outside help that isn't at the same skill level (or is spending less time on QC himself).

Anyway - the all of that is internet anecdotes and speculation. You'll find just as many defenders of his work too, but it's made me think twice about the price premium.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

New Twsbi in the works and it looks weird and tiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFcj7f_u_0s

Also, the way the person in that video video writes is kind of triggering to my delicate sensibilities.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lowness 72 posted:

I've also read that Nibs.com has (anecdotally) suffered a bit of a service dip. Speculation is that the guy running it is either too busy with custom nib grind orders, or isn't able to produce as much as he used to and has hired in outside help that isn't at the same skill level (or is spending less time on QC himself).

Anyway - the all of that is internet anecdotes and speculation. You'll find just as many defenders of his work too, but it's made me think twice about the price premium.
I ordered my M800 BB (which writes phenomenally i might add) from them and the tuning work wasn't done by Mottishaw, so I think all of the people who work at the shop do the basic tuning. Your invoice should say who did the work

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Cleaning out my moonman m2 in like 3 minutes really makes me realise how god drat annoying it is to clean out converters.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

I've also read that Nibs.com has (anecdotally) suffered a bit of a service dip. Speculation is that the guy running it is either too busy with custom nib grind orders, or isn't able to produce as much as he used to and has hired in outside help that isn't at the same skill level (or is spending less time on QC himself).

Well, the practical truth of the matter is that even with the world's best QC, you'll still get lemons every once in a while. No manufacturer is immune. That said, it's also possible that the quality has a slipped a bit if extra people have been hired on to help tune nibs.

Wengy posted:

I just gave it a thorough cleaning, unscrewed the nib, cleaned everything out, put the nib back in and reinked the pen - so far it performs much better. Hope it’s just starting pains.

I'd still drop Nibs.com an email and describe your issues. Even if you don't end up sending your Pelikan back for tuning, I'm sure they'd like to know when problems occur so they can investigate the cause. As it stands, though, the issues you describe are absolutely the symptoms of an overpolished nib.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It’s not all Mottishaw these days; he’s training someone to take over in preparation. I’ve met the lady he’s training at the various shows — very nice lady, and she’s clearly inherited quite a lot of his knowledge. I think she’ll get better as she does more nibs.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pondex posted:

Also, the way the person in that video video writes is kind of triggering to my delicate sensibilities.

That doesn't seem to hold much ink compared to their usual line, but I guess if filing is that quick it wouldn't matter much. A one-handed mechanism is kind of neat, too.

Filling my pens hasn't really been one of the major time sinks of using pens. I'm not really sold on the need for it, but I like to see brands experiment.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Pondex posted:

I like the size, but I wish the spring was concealed, and I don't like the cap. I don't mind the decreased capacity. Who needs that much ink in one fill?

I'll probably buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I actually like the idea but it's ugly as gently caress. I might actually get one and just sand the crap out of the back part to hide the spring.