Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ah, and I can especially see how they're no longer trying to sell one of their boat brands. Probably a REALLY tough sell at the moment.

https://twitter.com/Team_Mitch/status/1011615705568071681
They've been gloating this morning about how Gorsuch is helping them land a bunch of 5-4 victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's going to take a lot of idiots losing their jobs for Wisconsin to wise up. Until they forget again.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sotomayor is basically "nice of you to overturn Korematsu, but you're doing the same poo poo right after congratulating yourselves."

https://twitter.com/Yahel/status/1011617030116642816

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

It's going to take a lot of idiots losing their jobs for Wisconsin to wise up. Until they forget again.

I'm sure that new Foxconn facility will make up for it all!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Don’t worry guys, the looming economic crisis isn’t hitting everyone.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...flow%3Afacebook

quote:

In cash-strapped Methuen, where the average resident earns just under $32,000 a year, five police captains stand to each make a whopping $432,295 a year under their new contract, according to an analysis by the city auditor that has outraged residents and officials.

The pay would make the five captains the highest-paid police officers in the state, giving them salaries that would exceed Governor Charlie Baker’s annual pay of $151,800; Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans’s salary of $238,846; and the $386,829 collected last year by the highest-paid state trooper, outgoing Superintendent Richard McKeon.

They are thinking of borrowing money from the state to fund it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

How do you manage that kind of negotiating power, so that you're making way more than your bosses, bosses, bosses.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It’s like 50,000 residents. There isn’t much backstop on the purse if the council has their famimy as the cops.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Don’t worry guys, the looming economic crisis isn’t hitting everyone.

Ok, that’s absolutely insane. Is there some sort of valid explanation like cashing in on vacation/sick time at the end of their careers?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Lol Methuen is just garbage enough of a town to need to pay that much to attract anyone to work there though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BUG JUG posted:

Lol Methuen is just garbage enough of a town to need to pay that much to attract anyone to work there though.

It is. It's also small enough that wtf 5 captains?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

Ok, that’s absolutely insane. Is there some sort of valid explanation like cashing in on vacation/sick time at the end of their careers?

The article goes into it a little more. Its a funky contract that each year their new base pay is calculated on their previous pay including benefits included plus a percentage. Whether it was malicious buy the writers/approves or just a dumb mistake is up for debate.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Defenestrategy posted:

How do you manage that kind of negotiating power, so that you're making way more than your bosses, bosses, bosses.

1. The structuring of the raise calculation was incomprehensibly complex, allowing an advertised raise of 2% to become a raise of 281% for police captains.

quote:

The contract was approved by the City Council on a 9-0 vote last fall, but only after five councilors received special permission from the city solicitor to cast their votes. The five had initially recused themselves because three had family members who work for the Police Department, and two were going to move into jobs in the department.

That Works posted:

It is. It's also small enough that wtf 5 captains?

Plus 7 lieutenants and 12 sergeants.
For a city of 50k.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 26, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:negative:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mlmp08 posted:

Ah, and I can especially see how they're no longer trying to sell one of their boat brands. Probably a REALLY tough sell at the moment.

Trump gonna accelerate sea levels rising and say he brought back boat manufacturing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In early medieval Europe, frequently taxes on the peasantry would not be a fixed amount or percentage, but all surplus they had producedin a given year. Everything except what they needed to live. So I guess this is a return to norm.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:wtc: that's more than the chief and commissioner of the NYPD make combined

Edit: apparently the union negotiated a 2% raise and whoever actually wrote the contract is a fuckin idiot. Even the union is saying this is not what was expected but talk about being handed a gift

quote:

“Both the city and the association are aware of the strong desire of the City Council and the people of Methuen to see a reasonable compromise on the issues raised in recent weeks,” the joint statement said. “We agree that such a compromise is in everyone’s interests.”

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 26, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
There’s a bazillion little places like that never get looked into it.

Menlo, GA, paid annual 99,000$ salary to a part time 10h-a-week cop for years.
Only he didn’t even do his 10 hours.

In rear end backwoods Georgia where that is king-salary.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
These are american voters lmao

https://twitter.com/joelelan27/status/1011620681526566912?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Vahakyla posted:

There’s a bazillion little places like that never get looked into it.

Menlo, GA, paid annual 99,000$ salary to a part time 10h-a-week cop for years.
Only he didn’t even do his 10 hours.

In rear end backwoods Georgia where that is king-salary.

Whats worse is just how many bad city attorneys are out there. Its why cities routinely get hosed by businesses when deals go bad.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Eh, I’d imagine the deals work out exactly as they want, since direct deposits from city account to your personal one are prohibited.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Norwaaaay! :mad:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also peep this thread with clippings from 1934 urging people to be nice to Nazis lest they just get more power via anger.

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1007301941540655106

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Also peep this thread with clippings from 1934 urging people to be nice to Nazis lest they just get more power via anger.

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1007301941540655106

https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1007303298347659267

If only more of them volunteered as kapo!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

That Works posted:

They also can never justify why it was about 'states rights' then most of the seceded states agreed to a constitution that made slavery mandatory at the federal level.

Edit: So remember that if someone spouts some 'right to choose' bullshit.

Back when I was a cop in Louisiana, I had a partner who talked about the states' rights angle. It came up when we were talking about the then-current topic of cities tearing down Confederate statues. He earnestly believed the US Civil War was a matter of northern aggression, that it was about states' rights, and he didn't know why people would want to be rid of monuments to the Confederacy.

It kind of surprised me, because he was (and is!) a genuinely good person. Not racist, not mean-spirited, never went looking for a reason to bust someone. He was also game to ride patrol with me, even though I was probably the only northern-born liberal in the department.

In talking about it, I realized that he had never in his life heard about the Cornerstone Speech, or knew that the issue of slavery was the one matter that per the Confederate constitution, states couldn't choose on their own.

More than anything else, it was a matter of the public school system in that part of Louisiana, and presumably the rest of the region, straight up omitting everything leading up to the Civil War in their curriculum.

I don't know if I changed his mind, but by raising those blind spots, I at least got him to consider that people whose ancestors felt the bootheel of the CSA might not want their monuments venerated. He never brought up the issue again.

:unsmith:

I'm not a cop anymore, but we're still friends, and he never talks poo poo about the Union.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Whats worse is just how many bad city attorneys are out there. Its why cities routinely get hosed by businesses when deals go bad.

Public salaries and budgets in an industry that pays well on the private side are not going to attract the best of the best outside of a handful of prestige positions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Those quotes around slavery, though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Those quotes around slavery, though

People really will buy anything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol I guess Delta banned all pit bulls service or not

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

this would make a great shirt IMO

No.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

how's he going to get to his concerts :ohdear:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I wonder what happened.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

how's he going to get to his concerts :ohdear:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/delta-private-jets.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arc Light posted:

Back when I was a cop in Louisiana, I had a partner who talked about the states' rights angle. It came up when we were talking about the then-current topic of cities tearing down Confederate statues. He earnestly believed the US Civil War was a matter of northern aggression, that it was about states' rights, and he didn't know why people would want to be rid of monuments to the Confederacy.

It kind of surprised me, because he was (and is!) a genuinely good person. Not racist, not mean-spirited, never went looking for a reason to bust someone. He was also game to ride patrol with me, even though I was probably the only northern-born liberal in the department.

In talking about it, I realized that he had never in his life heard about the Cornerstone Speech, or knew that the issue of slavery was the one matter that per the Confederate constitution, states couldn't choose on their own.

More than anything else, it was a matter of the public school system in that part of Louisiana, and presumably the rest of the region, straight up omitting everything leading up to the Civil War in their curriculum.

I don't know if I changed his mind, but by raising those blind spots, I at least got him to consider that people whose ancestors felt the bootheel of the CSA might not want their monuments venerated. He never brought up the issue again.

:unsmith:

I'm not a cop anymore, but we're still friends, and he never talks poo poo about the Union.

I grew up in Louisiana, graduated high school in 96. I don't recall if it was ever formally presented to me in school as purely northern aggression, but I do remember it was definitely posed as a matter of 'states rights' and I learned a lot about how blacks fought for both sides during the war and that how many of the southern people fighting didn't even own slaves and were fighting for their own land. There was no point where I was ever taught that this was treason and that the south was the bad guy. The whole thing was pitched to us as some kind of noble uprising on principles and that oh yeah somewhere along the way everyone decided slavery shouldn't be a thing anymore but that was totally separate from all these honorable men all our schools and buildings are named after and we should give them as much respect as the union side.

I definitely got to hear a lot of stories about how Stonewall Jackson, Lee and Forrest were the greatest geniuses of their time and allowed the south to honorably punch above their weight for years longer than they needed to. Victory for the North was presented to as as the eventual process of slow wearing down and the lack of supplies promised to the south by the british. So, no one actively came out and cheered on the confederacy directly, but there was a whole shitload of 'we almost won, these brave patriots on the wrong side of a gentlemans dispute about governance so nearly won.'

It wasn't until I was 20 until I got to hear about poo poo like Little Round Top and Chamberlain and more about how Sherman and Grant were just outplaying the confederates for the last years of the war. Sherman was just almost not spoken of and Grant being a drunk was mentioned often and kinda presented like he ended up on top only because everyone else ultimately failed. By the time he got to the top he just had more men and more supplies and victory was inevitable. He was never mentioned as being an actually good leader etc.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder what happened.

High incident of events revolving around a specific breed 🤷🏽‍♀️

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

I grew up in Louisiana, graduated high school in 96. I don't recall if it was ever formally presented to me in school as purely northern aggression, but I do remember it was definitely posed as a matter of 'states rights' and I learned a lot about how blacks fought for both sides during the war and that how many of the southern people fighting didn't even own slaves and were fighting for their own land. There was no point where I was ever taught that this was treason and that the south was the bad guy. The whole thing was pitched to us as some kind of noble uprising on principles and that oh yeah somewhere along the way everyone decided slavery shouldn't be a thing anymore but that was totally separate from all these honorable men all our schools and buildings are named after and we should give them as much respect as the union side.

I definitely got to hear a lot of stories about how Stonewall Jackson, Lee and Forrest were the greatest geniuses of their time and allowed the south to honorably punch above their weight for years longer than they needed to. Victory for the North was presented to as as the eventual process of slow wearing down and the lack of supplies promised to the south by the british. So, no one actively came out and cheered on the confederacy directly, but there was a whole shitload of 'we almost won, these brave patriots on the wrong side of a gentlemans dispute about governance so nearly won.'

It wasn't until I was 20 until I got to hear about poo poo like Little Round Top and Chamberlain and more about how Sherman and Grant were just outplaying the confederates for the last years of the war. Sherman was just almost not spoken of and Grant being a drunk was mentioned often and kinda presented like he ended up on top only because everyone else ultimately failed. By the time he got to the top he just had more men and more supplies and victory was inevitable. He was never mentioned as being an actually good leader etc.

I was out of Louisiana before middle school, but that tracks generally with what I remember. I don't remember so much Lee worship, but Stonewall Jackson was like a loving god, and lucky for the north that he got nailed by fratricide and had other medical woes before that. (probably is kind of lucky for the north, honestly, but not in the way of a southern victory).

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
When I was at Ole Miss, I took a class on the Civil War and the professor had a little lecture that started getting the southerners in the class all riled up.

"On April 15th, 1861, Abraham Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers to be raised for 90 days to put down the rebellion. Now, remember, the US Army at this time was less than 20,000 officers and men. 75,000! That's more than triple the size of the standing US Army!" The southerners were all "yeah! That warmonger! Robble robble!" The professor continued.

"EXCEPT! This was after Fort Sumter had been attacked! And this was AFTER the Confederacy authorized the raising of 100,000 volunteers for ONE YEAR!"

They shut up after that. The notion of Abraham Lincoln the warmonger and the so-called "War of Northern Aggression" came crashing down around them and it was amazing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I was out of Louisiana before middle school, but that tracks generally with what I remember. I don't remember so much Lee worship, but Stonewall Jackson was like a loving god, and lucky for the north that he got nailed by fratricide and had other medical woes before that. (probably is kind of lucky for the north, honestly, but not in the way of a southern victory).

Georgia circa 04 is similar, except a sanitized version where the war parts of the civil war aren't really mentioned and it talked about how the South rebelled over tariffs and perceived federal over reach*, attacked Fort Sumter, Atlanta was burned, and woah look we have cocacola now! Isn't that nice?

*over reach of what not explained.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

edit: accidental Double post

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

That professor? Albert Einstein

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

GoGoGadget posted:

That professor? Albert Einstein

Actually, his name is John Neff. I think he's still teaching there.

He does that little lecture every time he teaches the class probably because he enjoys the look of confusion on the faces of the kids who grew up learning the Civil War was about states' rights and the North were the aggressors blah blah.

I know I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

McNally posted:

When I was at Ole Miss, I took a class on the Civil War and the professor had a little lecture that started getting the southerners in the class all riled up.

"On April 15th, 1861, Abraham Lincoln called for 75,000 volunteers to be raised for 90 days to put down the rebellion. Now, remember, the US Army at this time was less than 20,000 officers and men. 75,000! That's more than triple the size of the standing US Army!" The southerners were all "yeah! That warmonger! Robble robble!" The professor continued.

"EXCEPT! This was after Fort Sumter had been attacked! And this was AFTER the Confederacy authorized the raising of 100,000 volunteers for ONE YEAR!"

They shut up after that. The notion of Abraham Lincoln the warmonger and the so-called "War of Northern Aggression" came crashing down around them and it was amazing.

This makes me happy. Especially in Ole Miss of all places. I got to go to most of the big southern college campuses playing club rugby in college and Ole Miss definitely had the most rebel flags per capita going on.

• Locked thread