Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beastie posted:

I’ve never seen Rocky Horror. I’m such a bad person. Every time a screening is shown I’m out of town or have tickets to something else.

Well you should get tickets for the Rocky Horror Picture show as well and make it a Science Fiction double-feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you should get tickets for the Rocky Horror Picture show as well and make it a Science Fiction double-feature.

RHPS and Phantom of the Paradise work really well together I find.

I was thinking at work about songs you couldn't escape in the 90s.

Eric Clapton Unplugged comes to mind instantly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z--Le7oZ50U

And then there was his Tears in Heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPj3GAYYZ0

The next one I can think if is Paula Cole's I Don't Want to wait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJb5RvAs4BI

And Green Day's Time Of Your Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

Praise you was used a lot too, but I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate that song so much and its stupid video I won't link it.

All of these are sappy songs that people latched onto because "oh its so emotional and meaningul!" and then you would hear them in every Rom Com and Dramatic movie trailer of the time. It's like you couldn't escape Hey Ya for any wacky comedy thing in the early 2000s.

A song that always pissed me off was Babylon Zoo's Space Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCbAEkfXSDE
The song starts out with this cool techno thing, then it loses its oomph and becomes some weir pseudogoth crap fest. I feel like that was the intention, like the video director or band was all "lets trick all those lame techno kids into thinking they're gonna get something they'll like".

So we have a 90s, 80s and 70s thread, are we going to get a early 2000s thread next? Nothing makes me feel old realizing that Hey Ya came out 17 loving years ago. I have girls at work that are as old as that.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
"My Heart Will Go On"

Edit WHAT THE gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8cnPNC3NsE

Dixville has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jun 26, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dixville posted:

"My Heart Will Go On"

You know whats weird about that song, it didn't last very long at #1 and I honestly heard more people complain/make fun about it that the song itself.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I mean I'm pretty sure part of the reason people complained was because it was so overplayed. It is a super lovely song though. But it does stand out in my mind as a song you would have had to be living under a rock to have not heard at the time.

Also seriously that edit to my last post was like 30 minutes later but the original ending of Titanic is hilariously terrible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dixville posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure part of the reason people complained was because it was so overplayed. It is a super lovely song though. But it does stand out in my mind as a song you would have had to be living under a rock to have not heard at the time.

Also seriously that edit to my last post was like 30 minutes later but the original ending of Titanic is hilariously terrible.

Maybe I just ran away when that penny whistle started playing.

Hahha that is terrible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

You know whats weird about that song, it didn't last very long at #1 and I honestly heard more people complain/make fun about it that the song itself.

Billboard charts don't tell the whole story. It got hideously overplayed by pretty much every teenage girl ever at the time. You were guaranteed to hear it at every school dance. It also seemed to crop up on the radio way more often that it should have. It's the most disgustingly sappy song I've ever heard and OMG it was the song from the Titanic and that's just such a good love story and I'm going to marry Leo some day and :barf:

And before you say it yes I'm a cynical old prick and was quite the teenage edgelord in the '90s. Then again I still have a deep, visceral hatred for that song so take that as you will.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, remember in the 90s it was expected for dudes to hate Leo, but now we're all "He's awesome!!".

I guess when he just stopped being a pretty boy in movies made for women to cry at and started making actual movies we started to see him for the actor he is. Heh remember the rumor he was going to play Anakin in Episode 2? At the time that was the worst possible thing, but now we know that would have been a million times better.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, remember in the 90s it was expected for dudes to hate Leo, but now we're all "He's awesome!!".

I guess when he just stopped being a pretty boy in movies made for women to cry at and started making actual movies we started to see him for the actor he is. Heh remember the rumor he was going to play Anakin in Episode 2? At the time that was the worst possible thing, but now we know that would have been a million times better.

I do remember that. Personally I never really hated him even though I did get annoyed at the nonstop fawning over him and Titanic. The movie wasn't even all that good. Not bad really but not nearly as good as people made it out to be.

He is a legit good actor, though.

I went to high school with multiple girls that were absolutely, dead convinced they were going to marry Leo one day. It was...painful to see.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

twistedmentat posted:

I mean leonardo DiCaprio has been stellar since basketball diaries and what's eating Gilbert Grape, literally his entire career, so I never got where that "pretty boy who makes girls cry" came from. The dude has always made good movies

Edit: I guess baz luhrmann's romeo+juliet? Did that start that?

big trivia FAIL has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jun 26, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, i'm 100% sure it was just Titanic and Romeo+Juliette.

I've never actually seen either of them but I have an idea R+J is a weird rear end movie from the clips I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agc-h7mnW6c

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, i'm 100% sure it was just Titanic and Romeo+Juliette.

I've never actually seen either of them but I have an idea R+J is a weird rear end movie from the clips I've seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agc-h7mnW6c

It's the Shakespeare play modernized. They didn't rewrite the script at all they just said "what if this happened literally today?"

I highly recommend watching it. It is bug gently caress insane and pretty true to how Shakespeare was actually performed back in the day given that the fight scenes are just nuts. It's way better than it gets credit for but unfortunately gets the same bad rep that Romeo and Juliet itself does. It isn't a romantic love story. It's a tragedy about two stupid teenagers being two stupid teenagers.

But really...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEzskNtFnIY

...yeah.

edit: Actually that clip doesn't do the scene justice as poo poo just goes completely bonkers after that. It's worth watching for that scene alone. I couldn't find a longer version on the YooToobz so :shrug:

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Jun 26, 2018

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's the Shakespeare play modernized. They didn't rewrite the script at all they just said "what if this happened literally today?"

I highly recommend watching it. It is bug gently caress insane and pretty true to how Shakespeare was actually performed back in the day given that the fight scenes are just nuts. It's way better than it gets credit for but unfortunately gets the same bad rep that Romeo and Juliet itself does. It isn't a romantic love story. It's a tragedy about two stupid teenagers being two stupid teenagers.

But really...

...yeah.

edit: Actually that clip doesn't do the scene justice as poo poo just goes completely bonkers after that. It's worth watching for that scene alone. I couldn't find a longer version on the YooToobz so :shrug:
Yeah that's my point, R+J was fuckin AWESOME

Edit: DO YOU BITE YOUR THUMB SIR??

big trivia FAIL has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jun 26, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But really...

...yeah.

Here's some of the rest, unfortunately in a foreign language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL8G54DI174

Never has a more beautiful movie been made. I feel like Baz Luhrmann just realized that "Romeo & Juliet in modern day but with all the same dialogue" was an inherently ridiculous concept, so he decided to quadruple down.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 05:22 on Jun 26, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Everything in that his hyper stylized in that way only the late 90s could do.

It is weird as gently caress to hear that dialog come out of a bunch of doofus surfers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Everything in that his hyper stylized in that way only the late 90s could do.

It is weird as gently caress to hear that dialog come out of a bunch of doofus surfers.

Yeah, it reaches a level of utter madness that only the 90's could produce.

Like just watch it. Seriously.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

He was dead for two weeks when he was found. He was a decomposing 85-pound skeleton.

With a cat free roaming his apartment...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

With a cat free roaming his apartment...

Probably not very hungry.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen" was a pretty popular tune in the 90s as the decade started closing out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

It's sort of funny how this song to me in 1999 felt a bit 'hopeful' and 'optimistic' and in 2018 it feels quite the opposite.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet is one of the most insane and ridiculous films I've ever seen. It's full of hilariously stupid stuff like how everyone has guns, but the script obviously says 'swords', so the guns are all emblazoned with the name of the manufacturer... 'Sword'. Oh, and the 'longsword' is a shotgun. I love it.

The soundtrack is also extremely 90s to the point it rivals The Crow and Spawn: Garbage, Everclear, Butthole Surfers, Radiohead, Wannadies... and of course Des'ree, who is responsible for some of the worst lyrics in history.

Oh, and of course it was the inspiration for 'Tales for the l33t', the extremely primitive flash films translating Shakespeare into 1337/text-speak, as was the style in the late 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLHpg5HwZ0

Every now and then I think about Mercutio's death scene in this and can't stop laughing.
"You okay Mercutio?"
"DO I LOOK OKAY YOU rear end? I WANT ALL OF YOUR BALLS TO DIE!"

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Jun 26, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, it reaches a level of utter madness that only the 90's could produce.

Like just watch it. Seriously.

I really need to do that, is it streaming somewhere?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

big trivia FAIL posted:

Yeah that's my point, R+J was fuckin AWESOME

Edit: DO YOU BITE YOUR THUMB SIR??

Counterpoint, it sucks because they trimmed down brave Mercutio's death scene and cut out his best line.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think someone made a comment as to why Disney songs tended to always win the Academy Award for best song was because Disney was able to get them a lot more pop radio airplay. Six of Ten 90s Best Songs Oscars went to Disney movies in the 90s, with 5 of those being to animated movies.

Conversely, the 2000-2010 era of best song looks like backlash against that in some respect. I look at all the nominees and winners for best songs look a lot different and even the number of songs nominated in many years was only 3 from 4-5.

Sort of a "chicken or the egg" thing but Disney was doing way less musicals around that time. Pixar (and imitators) were putting out all the big-name animated stuff and Disney's output was attempting to appeal to teenagers (with limited success).

It's probably a cyclical thing, and they've realized the time is now right to target the children of people who grew up on Disney musicals.

pantsofdoom
Nov 20, 2003

i like pants

hello fellow teenagers

Enjoy this selection from Learning the Internet:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

I really need to do that, is it streaming somewhere?

YouTube had it for like $2 I think. I imagine most of the streaming services have it.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ToxicSlurpee posted:

YouTube had it for like $2 I think. I imagine most of the streaming services have it.

It was on netflix at one point, but must have dropped off.

That movie came out on home video around the time my english class was covering Romeo & Juliet. So I didn't do the reading and just watched it 5 or 6 times.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wacky Delly posted:

That movie came out on home video around the time my english class was covering Romeo & Juliet. So I didn't do the reading and just watched it 5 or 6 times.

Yep mine too. I wonder if that was intentional. We were shown in the 70s R&J movie, with the nipple because this is Canada.

With browsers wars, I heard "Explorer is someone who doesn't know where they're going, Navigator is those who know where they want to go". I forget when I switched to Explorer. Windows 98 maybe?

I do miss 3.11 because I spent so much time organizing my desktop folders it looked really sweet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wacky Delly posted:

We actually just watched it in class. Was the first time I saw it. In retrospect that's weird because Romeo literally does ecstasy at the party.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Yep mine too. I wonder if that was intentional. We were shown in the 70s R&J movie, with the nipple because this is Canada.

With browsers wars, I heard "Explorer is someone who doesn't know where they're going, Navigator is those who know where they want to go". I forget when I switched to Explorer. Windows 98 maybe?

I do miss 3.11 because I spent so much time organizing my desktop folders it looked really sweet.

Also don't forget that in that movie, Juliet's actress was underage. She actually wasn't allowed to see the premiere because her own boob increased the rating too high.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

Also don't forget that in that movie, Juliet's actress was underage. She actually wasn't allowed to see the premiere because her own boob increased the rating too high.

God dammit 70s!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

We actually just watched it in class. Was the first time I saw it. In retrospect that's weird because Romeo literally does ecstasy at the party.

We watched both versions in my class, and did a reading of the play. I liked the modern take, for how loving goofy it was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leavemywife posted:

We watched both versions in my class, and did a reading of the play. I liked the modern take, for how loving goofy it was.

I can't remember if we watched both versions or only the 1968 version in addition to reading the play. We did Hamlet in 12th grade that included watching the Mel Gibson movie and attending an Orlando Shakespeare production that happened to be going on at the same time, which was so good that I went back on my own time later.

For Orlando Fringe next year, I'm working on doing a production of Drunk Shakespeare. One of the actors is randomly selected to get hammered on 5 shots before launching into an abbreviated, partially improvised version of the play.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Meh, I saw the Zeffirelli version in English class too, in America, twenty-two years ago. Never saw the Baz Luhrmann version because I never had an interest in the source material, but I’m obliquely familiar with it thanks to Hot Fuzz.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Meh, I saw the Zeffirelli version in English class too, in America, twenty-two years ago. Never saw the Baz Luhrmann version because I never had an interest in the source material, but I’m obliquely familiar with it thanks to Hot Fuzz.

I watched Hot Fuzz not too long ago, and only on that rewatch that I realized that it was a reference to the film.

That reminds me, series one of Spaced just makes it under the wire for this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OizzpOhJw0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dxgqRIDcQ

I honestly started wondering to myself if this poo poo was a fever dream I had as a kid or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dxgqRIDcQ

I honestly started wondering to myself if this poo poo was a fever dream I had as a kid or something.

:stonk:

A friend of mine showed me this video. Who wants to learn about the wonders of surfing the World Wide Web from the whitest family ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81IwlDeV6c
If I have to live with that loving jingle forever burned into my head, so does everyone else.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

It's like yeah ok everyone is singing but how do you all know the words and there's dance moves how do they all know the choreography gaaaah.

Allow me to reply to your post with something from the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNzNeGw8Fmo

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:stonk:

A friend of mine showed me this video. Who wants to learn about the wonders of surfing the World Wide Web from the whitest family ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81IwlDeV6c
If I have to live with that loving jingle forever burned into my head, so does everyone else.

WHY AM I ALREADY 15 MINUTES INTO THIS VIDEO WITH NO SIGNS OF STOPPING?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Same. I don't think I ever made the Hot Fuzz connection though. Hell, you'd think that me at 15 would have remembered a nipple in a movie, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Parkingtigers posted:

WHY AM I ALREADY 15 MINUTES INTO THIS VIDEO WITH NO SIGNS OF STOPPING?

Because... you're surfin'-on-the-in-ter-net! :yayclod:

:shepicide: