Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Nah, most of the original gang were already potential Ascendants, or became so before Gardens of the Moon happened. Also the Malaz empire is maybe 20 years old, tops.

Gardens of the Moon states that the empire was founded in 1058 and the novel starts in 1164. We also don’t really know actual life expectancy for the setting. A lot of people could just be really long lived due to some portion of Thelomen blood in their ancestry and we already know they are a long lived species, Karsa is 80 years old when we meet him. The Krusts definitely had some Thelomen blood in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

There seem to be some contradictions (I thought Whiskeyjack's nickname was a Malazan bastardization of his actual name, where does Jack come in?) and plot lines ending nowhere (are we supposed to know who Opal is? It sounds vaguely familiar, but I really have no idea). Definitely ways above Lament and its wet fart of a storyline.

I'll still take the incessantly philosophizing guards of FoL over it any day, though.

A whisky jack is the common name of the grey jay. I learned that because the German translators didn't want to call him the German word for grey jay (which is Meisenhäher and sounds awful when used as a name), so they gave him another name from the same bird family: Elster

Now you know where the jack came from

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Gardens of the Moon states that the empire was founded in 1058 and the novel starts in 1164. We also don’t really know actual life expectancy for the setting. A lot of people could just be really long lived due to some portion of Thelomen blood in their ancestry and we already know they are a long lived species, Karsa is 80 years old when we meet him. The Krusts definitely had some Thelomen blood in them.

Fair enough, I was wrong on the dates. Everyone still being around from the original "planned from a dive-bar" takeover of Malaz City made it seem like way less time had passed.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fair enough, I was wrong on the dates. Everyone still being around from the original "planned from a dive-bar" takeover of Malaz City made it seem like way less time had passed.
Yeah, staying in the Deadhouse gave them all kinds of powers. Extreme lifespan and general immunity to disease being two of them.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Oh, Beak...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I just read this too. ☹

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I love Beak getting asked his age and he says something like “I was thirty but that was five years ago so I don’t know.”

snoremac fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 26, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, staying in the Deadhouse gave them all kinds of powers. Extreme lifespan and general immunity to disease being two of them.

Wasn't there an earlier Malazan empire also empowered by the unDead cavemen, or am I just misremembering things?
I'd re-read the Malazan books to confirm/deny, however I do recall the WonderTwins FuckupTwins being involved and/or being the ones giving Malaz history infodumps.

Killers of joy, ruiners of lives, always making the wrong decisions for the most self-involved reasons, linchpins of destiny that never go the gently caress away, I am talking about Onos T'oolan and his sister Kilava Onass.....I can't inflict experiencing the WonderTwins FuckupTwins on myself again.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yes, at some point Kellanved finds the "First Throne" which gives him control of at least one T'lan Imass legion. It's why Tool begins the series in service to Adjunct Lorn.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We learn in dancer's lament that it's Gothos who sets them in that path, too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And one of the few universal constants in Malazan is that Gothos is a dick.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did Gothos do it? Or did Demon (who, as a bhok'aral is part of the secret cabal ruling Shadow) trick him into it in order to lure Kellanved into taking the Throne of Shadow?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

some spoiler tags would be nice with the supplemental books.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Everyone talking about timelines and no one calling you out on "WJ is as good as Traveller" Get ouuttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

turboraton posted:

Everyone talking about timelines and no one calling you out on "WJ is as good as Traveller" Get ouuttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Malazan Wiki posted:

Dassem was also a fierce and accomplished fighter. Temper mentioned that Skinner was the only Crimson Guardsman reported to have survived a clash with him. Even Whiskeyjack's superb swordsmanship was only able to delay Dassem's eventual victory when they practice sparred, according to Dujek Onearm.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ICE's prequels have been pretty good so far. He's better when he's not trying so hard to imitate Erikson.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I won't spoil you but let's say a common enemy has faced both WJ and Dassem 'Imafuku' Ultor.

Being able to delay Dassem's victory is exactly what everyone does, including that edgy guy with the edgier weapon.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 30, 2018

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yes, at some point Kellanved finds the "First Throne" which gives him control of at least one T'lan Imass legion. It's why Tool begins the series in service to Adjunct Lorn.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

:eng101: Kellanved taking control of the Logros leads to Dassem Ulton being named First Sword and firing Tool from his position of First Sword so can go hang out with the Adjunct.

This led to Hood taking revenge because Traveler now a) was supposed to be his Mortal Sword and b) those Imass are supposed to be dead and in Hood's realm.

Which led to Traveler breaking his Mortal Sword vow to Hood, which leads to Hood kidnapping and really loving up Traveler's daughter.

Which led to Traveler swearing vengeance on Hood, which led to Traveler killing Rake after Rake stole his vengeance.

Which led to whathisname going free from the sword.

Which led to saving the Throne of Darkness (how the Emperor and Hood convinced Rake to kill Hood) in the finale of the penultimate book and saving the world (with a now-alive and free Hood and his mini-army of Jahgut, and the bridgeburners who ascended once Hood quit his job) at the finale of The Crippled God.

I think it was in TCG that the last piece of that chain of causation fell into place, with a flashback during Tool's point of view chapter, during the trek across that desert. Turns out the plan for the finale of TCG was put into place way back when.

Edit: formatting.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 1, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

^^^^^ugh.

The one thing I want from the future Karsa trilogy is no WonderTwinsFuckUpTwins. Although Tool dying a third time in the Karsa trilogy would be great, Tool getting a 4th life would be exceptionally ugh.

My dislike of the WonderTwins FuckUpTwins aka Tool + his sister is burnout from their repeated appearances in the Malazan books/burnout at Erikson's fetish for involving them with most of the critical events that have happened in the core Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
We get it, you don't like Tool and Kilava. You don't need to do the strike-through text every time. Also most of the powerful characters have been present for tons of the critical events that shape the series so I don't know why you're focusing on those two more than any other ascendant that has been around for thousands of years.

Isn't it mostly Kilava that fucks everything up for everyone? Well her and Kallor.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

We get it, you don't like Tool and Kilava. You don't need to do the strike-through text every time. Also most of the powerful characters have been present for tons of the critical events that shape the series so I don't know why you're focusing on those two more than any other ascendant that has been around for thousands of years.

Isn't it mostly Kilava that fucks everything up for everyone? Well her and Kallor.

Yeah but Kilava's involvements are entirely her loving up and creating problems for other people. Hood never hurled orphans into a portal to hell, releasing an insane lizard queen and then instead of fixing it immediately decide to procrastinate for a quarter million years until it becomes somebody else's problem.

I do like how the books have all these unforeseeable consequences to poo poo that gods and wizards set in motion millennia ago. It's just in Kilava's case not only was it foreseeable, it was actually foreseen. And she still let it happen!

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
But what does that have to do with Tool? He does other things besides gently caress things up for everybody.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh yeah, Tool owns. Ownos T'oolan.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kallor is cursed to always fail/be forgotten. I'd rate the Errant and the Twins of Chance(the Oponn) who all have world-fuckery as their Ascendant powers-set as better world-fucker-uppers than Kallor. Icarium deserves to be in that list too, like the incredible hulk that he is.

Kilava's ranking in the fucker-upper rankings tends to vary depending on how deep into the malazan series books you've read. Just browsed the malazan wiki to see if I was just blindly hating on her, and wow, nope. Tool isn't bad as a character, the multiple second chances + happy endings while Beak + Trull got shafted (Literally in the 2nd case.) is my main annoyance with Tool.

Re-reading the Letheri Malazan books made me rewatch Jeeves & Wooster tv series. Still fantastic.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Olar Ethil and Errastas are real motherfuckers

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I want Icarium to face Traveler somehow.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

turboraton posted:

gently caress Errastas in particular, forever and ever, amen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The battle of Iskaral Pust and Kruppe is the greatest battle.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

turboraton posted:

I literally can never decide A. Which of these two I hate more and B. Whether I should feel sympathetic, because it's so in their nature they couldn't NOT do what they do. It's not even how they are, it's WHAT they are.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

The battle of Iskaral Pust and Kruppe is the greatest battle.

Runner up/strong contender to that greatest battle is the siege of the Suncurl in the B&KB spinoff books. It was like Erikson novelized a Three Stooges movie.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kallor is cursed to always fail/be forgotten. I'd rate the Errant and the Twins of Chance(the Oponn) who all have world-fuckery as their Ascendant powers-set as better world-fucker-uppers than Kallor. Icarium deserves to be in that list too, like the incredible hulk that he is.
This would make sense except that curse is Kallor's punishment for loving up the entire world.
Icarium is on another level though. He's just never done it yet for reals. I wonder if he and Karsa will ever truly fight in the Karsa trilogy.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 5, 2018

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
does Traveler's daughter ever show up? is that the girl from the prequel books? what did Hood do to piss Traveler off so much? im not sure we ever get a clear story on what happened to her.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

pile of brown posted:

This would make sense except that curse is Kallor's punishment for loving up the entire world.
Icarium is on another level though. He's just never done it yet for reals. I wonder if he and Karsa will ever truly fight in the Karsa trilogy.

Kallor was able to genocide an entire continent, not the entire world I thought. The Elder Gods who bothered showing up rightfully punished Kallor for that, while being lowkey appalled that a mere human was able to do all of that. And even more appalled that Kallor had the bad table manners to do it all in his name, and not in the service of a Elder God or Ascendant power.

The Icarium vs Shadowthrone realm + Quick Ben + Trull fight was bad enough.
The eternal sleeper stuff from Memories of Ice highlighted how Malazan warrens + dimensional realities are layers upon layers intertwined. A Karsa vs Icarium showdown would likely turn the Malazan world into a slightly chunky asteroid field before continuing across the various Malazan dimensions/warrens.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CoolHandMat posted:

does Traveler's daughter ever show up? is that the girl from the prequel books? what did Hood do to piss Traveler off so much? im not sure we ever get a clear story on what happened to her.

It's barely less vague than that, yeah:

She was involved in the latest Chaining in some unspecified way, Hood used her in the ritual because Lady Envy was unavailable. Dassem rescues her, and because she's on the verge of dying he stashes her in Tremorlor (I think Fiddler identifies her?). And then he....fucks off halfway round the world?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kallor was able to genocide an entire continent, not the entire world I thought. The Elder Gods who bothered showing up rightfully punished Kallor for that, while being lowkey appalled that a mere human was able to do all of that. And even more appalled that Kallor had the bad table manners to do it all in his name, and not in the service of a Elder God or Ascendant power.

Kallor genocides his empire, but he also (albeit indirectly) caused the arrival of Kaminsod and the Jade Giants, which threw the world, warrens, and pantheon into disarray and chaos for tens of thousands of years. It didn't end the world but it sure hosed it up and won't ever be the same.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hellion describing Skulldeath trying to have sex with her. :goatsecx:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

pile of brown posted:

Kallor genocides his empire, but he also (albeit indirectly) caused the arrival of Kaminsod and the Jade Giants, which threw the world, warrens, and pantheon into disarray and chaos for tens of thousands of years. It didn't end the world but it sure hosed it up and won't ever be the same.

Everything throws the Malazan world and warrens and pantheons into disarray.
It's just what the active Elder Gods and active wannabe Ascendant powers do. The errant, the Tiste arrival, the lizard-people civil war, the Imass going extinct on purpose, the roving IceKings, the island of Swordpeople, the 2nd malazan empire, etc. Shadowthrone is just a hyper-intense example of a newbie ascendant.
Series title "Book the Fallen" could easily be re-titled as "How a 97 lb weakling became Hero of the Beach by Charles Atlas Shadowthrone...Dictated not read, Transcribed by Iskaral Pust

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's barely less vague than that, yeah:

She was involved in the latest Chaining in some unspecified way, Hood used her in the ritual because Lady Envy was unavailable. Dassem rescues her, and because she's on the verge of dying he stashes her in Tremorlor (I think Fiddler identifies her?). And then he....fucks off halfway round the world?

[spoiler] thats right, she is just laying inside the Deadhouse, Fiddler just looks at her, describes her clothing, and thats it. [spoiler]

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
thats right, she is just laying inside the Deadhouse, Fiddler just looks at her, describes her clothing, and thats it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Re-read Gardens of the Moon.
The T'lan Imass anti-warren effect got dropped hard in the followup books.