Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IANAL but isn’t taking a user database containing information submitted for the purpose of having a working home security system, and then using it to cross-reference people with lots of Twitter followers for marketing purposes a GDPR no-no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

IANAL but isn’t taking a user database containing information submitted for the purpose of having a working home security system, and then using it to cross-reference people with lots of Twitter followers for marketing purposes a GDPR no-no?

given that the person in question works for the Field Museum (in Chicago), the security company probably doesn't care about the GDPR.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*jumps out of bushes wearing Jason mask*
"GDPR!!!!!!!"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

poisonpill posted:

*jumps out of bushes wearing Jason mask*
"GDPR!!!!!!!"

If you had posted this exact thing on Twitter like 2 weeks ago you'd probably be an internet sensation with 200k favorites

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Thanks Ants posted:

Even the Wild Wild Midwest must have some kind of privacy laws.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

lmao

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's quite the incorrect assumption you've made, unless "No Trespassing" signs count for "some kind of privacy laws."

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What reality do you live in where privacy laws in America are a thing? It sounds nice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hold up there, don't want to slow down the JOB CREATORS

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The documentation says you only need PKI if you don't have kerberos for system authentication (or go noauth yolo and rely on the firewall). Hopefully that's true, since I'm banking on it. Test environment is still locked up in a zone while I wait for firewall rules to get opened so I can get it pulling logs.

Interesting. I didn't catch that at all. Well, that's nice :).

RE: test environment, I literally cannot get anything stood up because our pipeline terrible so I am forced to write my own local one. I'm using https://github.com/VirtualEngine/Lability to manage my free trial media for this project. So far I've only got 2 VMs and a private switch auto building because I've never used DSC before, but it seems like this'll work for me, at least to PoC before I ask for small changes in existing environments.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Jowj posted:

Interesting. I didn't catch that at all. Well, that's nice :).

RE: test environment, I literally cannot get anything stood up because our pipeline terrible so I am forced to write my own local one. I'm using https://github.com/VirtualEngine/Lability to manage my free trial media for this project. So far I've only got 2 VMs and a private switch auto building because I've never used DSC before, but it seems like this'll work for me, at least to PoC before I ask for small changes in existing environments.

Jessica Payne did a couple things about WEF over the last couple years that go over a lot of the useful detail.
Use source-computer initiated instead of collector-initiated so the log server itself is just a privilege-less black hole. The content is all over WinRM so it auto negotiates Kerberos Auth and session encryption if in the same or trusted domains and requires that or TLS so as noted PKI is only needed across domain trust boundaries. If PSRemoting works, WEF will work. If you do go across domains, deliver the public cert in the same GPO that configures the client to target the log server in the first place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WeldPond/status/1007668993669378048

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
xposted from the yospos thread:

quote:

what are secgoons using for appsec tools?

i found some $$ in our software budget and i'm doing an evaluation of software composition analysis and static analysis tools. super bonus points for cross-ecosystem/language as our software stack covers java, python, ruby, javascript, go, and erlang.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you find something that covers both Go and Erlang, please be sure to report back!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I'm not expecting to find something that covers the whole stack but I don't really want to glue together something for every language/ecosystem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Sonarqube for SAST and Whitesource or Black Duck for SCA? No idea if they support Erlang but they do support Go

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sonarqube for SAST and Whitesource or Black Duck for SCA? No idea if they support Erlang but they do support Go

I did a POC of WhiteSource and I was completely underwhelmed. Some folks here have used BlackDuck in the past and the amount of false positives put them off. Might be worth another look, though.

SourceClear was better but they got bought by CA so until the lifetime and pricing of that product shakes out I'm not about to drop $$.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1011412172369465345

Don't Google your own crypto.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The bad roleplay twitter account thinks "FIDO U2F" is the make and model of a 2FA dongle, but "FIDO" is the name of the consortium, and "U2F" is an authentication standard.

The first link in the Google results on the article they're talking about is, indeed, an Amazon page for an old Yubico key, but the description should be clear enough for anyone who ends up there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
hot take: Swift On Security is bad in every way and always has been

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

No I think telling people to search for something and then buying the first thing that pops up is probably unwise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

Swift On Security is literally Taylor Swift tweeting about infosec and I will not be convinced otherwise. :boom:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Swift On Security is literally Taylor Swift tweeting about infosec and I will not be convinced otherwise. :boom:

Taking the most absurd possible answer in these trying times is always the right answer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Taking the most absurd possible answer in these trying times is always the right answer.

:haw:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

She keeps bumping into guys at parties trying to impress her with their bad professional opinions and just dumps them to Twitter

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Trying to impress people with your bad opinions is a pretty good summary of the security industry, tbh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also my posts

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Docjowles posted:

Trying to impress people with your bad opinions is a pretty good summary of the security industry, tbh

Security is a brilliant field of trying to elaborate the best theory with the worst practice.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I just finished Spam Nation and enjoyed reading it. Does anyone have any recommendations for other narrative-based books about hacking or security? Surveillance Valley is also on my list.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my bitter bi rival posted:

I just finished Spam Nation and enjoyed reading it. Does anyone have any recommendations for other narrative-based books about hacking or security? Surveillance Valley is also on my list.

I enjoyed Kingpin, as I recall.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

The Cuckoo's Egg.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Security is a brilliant field of trying to elaborate the best theory with the worst practice.

HIPPA: Multifactor, 15 minute lockout period, robust auditing.
REAL HIPPA: USB mouse jiggler, fired nurse's username and password on a stickynote taped to the monitor, auditing disabled because it recording all these things and made management look bad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

HIPPA: Multifactor, 15 minute lockout period, robust auditing.
REAL HIPPA: USB mouse jiggler, fired nurse's username and password on a stickynote taped to the monitor, auditing disabled because it recording all these things and made management look bad.
The first one is HIPAA and the second one is HIPPA.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So I had a question based on someone's thread they made on the spurr of the moment in the subforum: outside of cryotographies general application of controlling access to information, are there other applications for the techniques involved? Like would it be possible to use things learned there to generate random numbers, or to find natural patterns in nature that might have a sort of incidental obfuscation of the actual pattern due to some aspect of the phenomena? Just curious what kind of crossover it can have with other sciences.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cuckoo’s Egg is obviously the great but if your inner BBS hacker teen didn’t love “Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace” then you’re wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

Cuckoo’s Egg is obviously the great but if your inner BBS hacker teen didn’t love “Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace” then you’re wrong.

I got that one and “Where Wizards Stay Up Late” for Christmas from my parents when I was in college (prior to dropping out). Both are great reads.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lain Iwakura posted:

The Cuckoo's Egg.

I picked this one up in high school in the discount pile at Waldenbooks. Maybe one of my better life choices.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

We're in a situation where we have seasonal load for our border firewall traffic and we're in a down cycle. We're logging all inbound drops to Splunk at the moment and we're going to blow through our license in a spectacular manner once the next cycle hits. The people running the service are just sorta sitting there fretting about it but not actually doing any load shedding and are trying to play chicken with the execs to get more money for more ingest license. Apparently the border firewall accounts for about half our ingest rate and drops are a huge portion of those. The ops people don't want to lose visibility, but the vast majority of those are coming from garbage ISPs full of crap that nobody cares about. My thought as a compromise position was to import SpamHaus or whoever's RBL in to a deny rule one above the default deny with no logging to load shed a bunch of poo poo that we don't care about, and even that they are iffy on.

It's an incredibly stupid situation and I am trying to steer these children away from impending doom and likely getting their asses fired for not doing due diligence and if anyone has dealt with something similar and can weigh in on border firewall log load shedding tactics I would love to have someone else involved with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I have no real insights, but I’d probably try to measure what’s taking up the bulk of the data and blocking those if it makes sense to.