Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

I sort of assume given the content of the mural and the essential absurdity of cordoned off street art that the abhorrence of the stunt is, indeed, what the artist is trying to communicate with the piece. Of course, it's possible that the artist isn't doing an irony and that this is completely earnest. gently caress if I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

moller posted:

I sort of assume given the content of the mural and the essential absurdity of cordoned off street art that the abhorrence of the stunt is, indeed, what the artist is trying to communicate with the piece. Of course, it's possible that the artist isn't doing an irony and that this is completely earnest. gently caress if I know.

it's probably a viral marketing thing

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
u are what u pretend to be,

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

moller posted:

its also gotten the image of the mural shared way more than if he didn't pretend it was exclusive, its a classic barker trick where you make something worthless exclusive to seem valuable

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

theres that 19th century poo poo. making your employees literally beg for their jobs

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

literal decimation, in the roman sense, lmfao

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

That sounds a lot like something Enron used to do.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

smart of them to do it over video conference so the employee doesn't just shoot everyone involved

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9TlaYxoOO8

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

moller posted:

whatever the artist intention, this is counter-revolutionary art

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
If they can afford to hire round the clock security for a mural then they're probably a poo poo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's only """"ironic"""" in so far as they have plausible deniability. It's not even that good of a mural, so likely a marketing stunt, but it's still sick, and a product of a sick society.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

rudatron posted:

a product of a sick society.
Totally unrelated, but imagine how much money someone could make if they built a chatbot therapist and/or handheld anime girlfriend app for lonely nerds.

Of course anyone who wants to make even more money would just reinforce the dysfunctional behavior patterns instead of trying to help resolve them, or there's a third option: "I'm required to remind you to stop being a creepy weirdo, but for the $3.25/mo subscription you can opt out. You worthless poo poo."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

silentsnack posted:

Totally unrelated, but imagine how much money someone could make if they built a chatbot therapist .

Literally just ELIZA

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

silentsnack posted:

handheld anime girlfriend app for lonely nerds.

It's already here, in holowaifu form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcKaNqfykg

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Literally just Dr. Sbaitso

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

face me in person you cowards

edit: lol she had to go first and her boss went second, with no counter-argument from her allowed, and she wasn't even allowed to see his argument. almost like the game was rigged from the start

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Jun 26, 2018

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/exclusive-neanderthal-minibrains-grown-dish

quote:

Until now, researchers wanting to understand the Neanderthal brain and how it differed from our own had to study a void. The best insights into the neurology of our mysterious, extinct relatives came from analyzing the shape and volume of the spaces inside their fossilized skulls.

But a recent marriage of three hot fields—ancient DNA, the genome editor CRISPR, and "organoids" built from stem cells—offers a provocative, if very preliminary, new option. At least two research teams are engineering stem cells to include Neanderthal genes and growing them into "minibrains" that reflect the influence of that ancient DNA.

[...]

Muotri has developed the modern human brain organoids to the stage where his team can detect oscillating electrical signals within the balls of tissue. They are now wiring the organoids to robots that resemble crabs, hoping the organoids will learn to control the robots' movements. Ultimately, Muotri wants to pit them against robots run by brain Neanderoids.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

blade runner prequel sounding pretty good

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

I know “pit them against” in this context is probably meant to mean solve puzzles or something but the thought they grew human and Neanderthal brains and the first thing they did is put them in robot crab bodies to fight owns so much

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is actually an extremely cool cyberpunk dystopia

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

silentsnack posted:

Totally unrelated, but imagine how much money someone could make if they built a chatbot therapist and/or handheld anime girlfriend app for lonely nerds.

Of course anyone who wants to make even more money would just reinforce the dysfunctional behavior patterns instead of trying to help resolve them, or there's a third option: "I'm required to remind you to stop being a creepy weirdo, but for the $3.25/mo subscription you can opt out. You worthless poo poo."

there's an uber, for peer to peer therapy

i've seen commercials on tv

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

silentsnack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AjtIAje3o

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

I wanna see the grant proposal for this. I have this theory that William Gibson must have taken a bunch of peyote, wrote a draft for a new novel, and mailed it to the wrong address. And these guys were like "hell yeah"

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Shear Modulus posted:

blade runner prequel sounding pretty good

This could lead to breakthrough treatments for autism, but it'll actually be used to call the mentally ill sub-human and advocate for their eventual eradication.

Which is actually pretty cyberpunk when you think about it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

robot crab neanderthals

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

WampaLord posted:

It's already here, in holowaifu form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcKaNqfykg

alexa but you can jerk off to it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vECHOv0NL88

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

halo 3 and mass effect 3 beat you to the punch

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

i already posted this in the pics thread but i feel like it belongs here. funko pops are one of the worst things to exist.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
imagine I posted the funko pop relationship contract

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
the trump library will be in WPB, Florida and if u happen 2 be in the area a few decades from now pls make sure 2 go snorkeling there and post the pics maybe toss a jeb! and some Carson Sphinxs in there too

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Yikes...they may as well have mini wipers like the headlights on an 80s Mercedes

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im not even sure what funko pops are

theyre like a certain brand of bobblehead that is really popular?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Shear Modulus posted:

They aren't bobbleheads. At least, there are variations that are bobbleheads, but most are stationary. They're just little vinyl figures.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://i.imgur.com/XSZuqzZ.mp4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cant wait for gangs of crows to beat me up and steal my cigarettes

Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

plastic figures that are usually some kind of nerd media character which go on top of a computer desk or in a cubicle in a vague attempt to prove to coworkers that you have some spark left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/thomyorke/status/1009849797602435072