Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please cease to have dinner parties, or attend any further dinner parties. Thank you.

brother in law: "I don't get this loss thing."

Me, popping up with an overhead projector: "so there's this webcomic that sucks..."

Edit: (But the real conversation was about a mutual friend who had recently passed away and their affinity for memes)

Gene Hackman Fan has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

brother in law: "I don't get this loss thing."

Me, popping up with an overhead projector: "so there's this webcomic that sucks..."

Edit: (But the real conversation was about a mutual friend who had recently passed away and their affinity for memes)

I assume you pulled a screen down from seemingly nowhere like the animaniacs

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Brewmaster posted:

It's fun watching all the other philosophy majors crawl out of the woodwork for this. My problem is I really want to share these with my 60 year old father, who was a philosophy student at university, but then I'd have to explain "memes" as a concept. And I feel like that could get awkward very quickly.

I can't think of anyone easier to explain memes to than a phikosoy major.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

:vince:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Luv u.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Nice!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Did he die? If so loving lol at this

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

his whole career was building to this very joke

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It's often harder on the player, than the cpu

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

age of empires deserves better than this

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/25/entertainment/pawn-stars-the-old-man-richard-harrison-dead/index.html

quote:

(CNN)Richard Harrison, best known to viewers of the History Channel reality series "Pawn Stars" as "The Old Man," died Monday morning after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease, according to his son, Rick Harrison.

Rick Harrison, who co-starred with his father on the series, said on Instagram that his father died "surrounded by those he loved."

"He was my hero and I was fortunate to get a very cool 'Old Man' as my dad," he wrote. "He lived a very full life and through the History television show 'Pawn Stars' touched the lives of people all over, teaching them the value of loving your family, hard work and humor."

Rick Harrison added: "We appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers and ask that we are provided some privacy at this time."

"Pawn Stars," which has been on of History's most popular programs since its debut in 2009, follows the action inside the family's 24-hour Las Vegas business, World Famous Gold & Silver Pawn Shop.

"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our friend Richard 'The Old Man' Harrison, a beloved member of the HISTORY and @pawnstars family," History said in a statement posted to social media. "He will be greatly missed for his wisdom and candor. Our thoughts are with the Harrison family during this difficult time."

Details on the services for Richard Harrison are pending, according to a statement posted to the business's Facebook page.

"The team at Gold & Silver Pawn and the Pawn Stars family is grieving his loss," the statement added. "He will be remembered as the best father, grandfather and great-grandfather you could have by his family and by fans as the sometimes grumpy (always loving, however), often wisecracking, and voice of absolute reason on the History television show 'Pawn Stars.'"

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ew gross, don't post details, you're harshing my lols

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Check out this restricted chaos game.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

bike tory posted:

The link has a bunch of other philosophy memes and only a couple overlap. So in case anyone wants the Guy Goodbody version of this post, here:

Feel free to correct anything I got wrong

Walter Benjamin is famous for writing about the Panopticon, not Foucault. Foucaults’ early works such “Madness and Civilization” and “The Birth of the Clinic” touched upon forced incarceration of the mentally ill as a means of expunging certain social elements that did not belong in the rational modern era, through a process he referred to as The Great Confinement. In his later works, such as “Discipline and Punish” and the lecture series “Territory, Control, and Population,” Foucault continued discussing the manifestations of power dynamics in the 17th century and onwards, often highlighting the evolution of criminal punishments as a means to illustrate shifting attitudes towards power and its use. And then once again during his final four volume “History of Sexuality,” he introduced the concept of “bio-power” as a means to describe the exercise of control over various aspects of human and animal biology, and once again cited the evolution of the prison system as an example of this. However, I would argue that Foucault is not comparing things to prisons, he is illustrating the power dynamics in various aspects of society, and then also presenting certain examples from prisons as manifestations of those same dynamics. hth

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

?????????????????

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

sandoz posted:

?????????????????

i see you're new to the internet. everyone loving sucks

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

nice erry'day
hail

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
tired: all memes need to be fully explained and contexualized
wired:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lord farquad's sells propane and propane accessories.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Spanish Manlove posted:

The E meme makes me very mad because it makes me look at Markiplier's dumb gently caress face, and now this idiot makes me even angry by mistaking it for Hank Hill. I am Meme Mad on the Internet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SpacePig posted:

The E meme makes me very mad because it makes me look at Markiplier's dumb gently caress face, and now this idiot makes me even angry by mistaking it for Hank Hill. I am Meme Mad on the Internet.

I bet hearing game theory guy's voice would really round out that experience eh

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY

A MEEEEEEEEME THEEEOORYYYYY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND CUT

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does hE look like hE knows what a JaypEg is?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Turn off the internet, we're done here.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

nice erry'day
hail

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

twoday posted:

Walter Benjamin is famous for writing about the Panopticon, not Foucault. Foucaults’ early works such “Madness and Civilization” and “The Birth of the Clinic” touched upon forced incarceration of the mentally ill as a means of expunging certain social elements that did not belong in the rational modern era, through a process he referred to as The Great Confinement. In his later works, such as “Discipline and Punish” and the lecture series “Territory, Control, and Population,” Foucault continued discussing the manifestations of power dynamics in the 17th century and onwards, often highlighting the evolution of criminal punishments as a means to illustrate shifting attitudes towards power and its use. And then once again during his final four volume “History of Sexuality,” he introduced the concept of “bio-power” as a means to describe the exercise of control over various aspects of human and animal biology, and once again cited the evolution of the prison system as an example of this. However, I would argue that Foucault is not comparing things to prisons, he is illustrating the power dynamics in various aspects of society, and then also presenting certain examples from prisons as manifestations of those same dynamics. hth

I don't disagree with any of this but in Discipline and Punish Foucault writes quite a lot about panopticism and also does specifically compare the architecture of schools, factories, prisons etc to each other.

I don't think the meme is particularly unfair in its characterisation of Foucault. I think a valid criticism of Foucault's theory from the point of view of activists or those oriented towards social justice is that it can be quite paralyzing in the way that it locates agency and the self in discourses and power/knowledge, which can easily make the kind of centring institutions that the meme mentions seem all-powerful; certainly it makes the idea of "escape" seem ridiculous, hence everything is a prison.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jun 26, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I think if you got to the point where we had to give "World War" a number 2 sequel, then it is a bit clear where we were going from there

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SpacePig posted:

This.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

thanks mr Epicurus

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Phone a friend, call Jesus

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/FayVFox/status/1011756020375248896

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.