Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

Great advice thanks!

Sadly my company probably has too much outside funding in it's core business to be elligible for Oculus Start, even though I'm the only dev with a shoestring budget and doing lots of it in my own time....

Worth a shot at least!

Maybe then just tweet at the Oculus Dev twitter asking for a Go. They have something like $100 million dedicated to furthering VR development, so they can probably spare the $120 + shipping or whatever they have to pay for Oculus Go HMDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AgentF posted:

Sorry, why are we trying to find the centre?

You know on a similar note I’m really curious how widespread thumb fatigue is because, from a few pages back, this:

quote:

Your thumb is resting at all times instead of continually pushing back against joystick recentering.

Sounds like a complaint that I can’t even imagine having. Do you use thumb sticks with like 5lb of resistance or something? :psyduck:

I mean, for me at least (and this is a mostly non-VR concern since I’m stuck with the PS Move controllers for wands) the pushback on your thumb is somewhere between negligible and sort of useful when it comes to joystick movement. Tactile feedback is a good thing.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Has anyone played X-Plane 11 with a Rift? I'm wondering how it goes performance wise.

It's 30% off on Steam at the moment, don't know whether to pull the pin on it or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have a 1070, it seems to Hitch a bit. Not as much as it did before the guy switched from steamvr to native Oculus, but it's still there. Aside from that, I really like it. It's fun to load it up and fly around for a bit. The actual game doesn't have any issues, it runs just fine. Just minor hitches when I move my head around a lot. Don't take my word for it though, go to the website and download it. You can play for an hour at a time for free. After an hour, your stick goes dead, but you can just exit the game and open it back up. I haven't bought the full thing yet, considering doing it in this sale. I think the biggest complaint people have is that there aren't a lot of planes.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I tried X-Plane with my rift about a year ago and it worked but like coja said, it was kinda stuttery even with a 6600k+1080. I ended up getting Flight Simulator X Steam Edition and a program called FlyInside and that performs well and is pretty cool. I haven’t tried the new x-plane since. Maybe I will today to compare since now I have a 7700k+1080ti.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Virtual Virtual Reality was a lot of fun.

I wasn't ready for the Bad Ending though :stare:.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nickhimself posted:

I just reinstalled vorpx and man, it's gotten much better. Hopped into guild wars 2 with virtually zero configuration from me. Very cool

Do you get 3d at all in guild wars with vorpx? I just tried it, and no 3d :(

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Nah

it's really nice to run around and look at all of the landscapes though

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Right, just unscrewed my Odyssey's headphones and flipped them forward so I can use regular headphones. The integrated headphones still work fine and should go right back into place if I ever want to sell it and my regular ones actually reach down to my ears without tilting the screen way away from my face. Magical! I must be mad loving around with this thing so much

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

nickhimself posted:

it's really nice to run around and look at all of the landscapes though

Yeah, the hugeass screen is extremely impressive. Unfortunately, the low FOV starts giving me a headache after a while :(

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
Elite: Dangerous is getting a fairly decent update in a couple of days it seems like. Just as a heads up. It and the Horizons expansion (which I highly recommend) are currently on sale as well.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I must be mad loving around with this thing so much

the number of 3d printed parts in my dell visor setup is increasing rapidly, but I got it for like $130 used, so whatevs.

I'm working on a better battery cover for wmr controllers that should improve the grip a bunch, i'll post it here if people care

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the number of 3d printed parts in my dell visor setup is increasing rapidly, but I got it for like $130 used, so whatevs.

I'm working on a better battery cover for wmr controllers that should improve the grip a bunch, i'll post it here if people care

make it cover the windows button and I'll pay you for the design

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
My dear god what a saga I had with LA Noire.

Rockstar social club is one of the most infuriating middleware I've come across.

After a nice feeling moment of 'I'll spoil myself tonight and buy it on a whim to play in the increasingly dwindling couple of hours I have between work, making dinner, putting the kids to bed and collapsing of exhaustion' I ran it on the headset, looking dumbly into a loading screen for a couple of kinutes only to take it off and see it was prompting for a login to a social club account.

For whatever reason, logging in is tied to a captcha 'prove-you-are-a-human-but-actually-crowd-source-our-image-recognition-software' process. We've all done these before... but for some reason this one has about 10 pages of images for you to verify rather than one or two which takes at least a minute or two to fill out... Not a big deal in itself, a bit annoying when you have to pull off your headset and use your computer on the floor of an empty room, but ok if I only have to do it once...

Oh, it turns out I already have a rockstar account apparently so I have to login, not register.... Must have been from GTA5... Well let's try a password. Oh wait, I need to do the Captcha again? Well that must be due to the fact I was on the registration page not the login page, so I'll do it again... Invalid password? Oh, well try another... I have to do the Captcha again?!? Seriously? Ahh I'll try another... Invalid again?

Repeat this several more times, each captcha process a minute or two until a bright spark in my head tells me just to reset the password. One reset, another Captcha and we're finally cooking.

Ooh it's launching... Oh hrm. There's an issue with tracking. Text is wierdly floating in 3D space and jittering around. Ah I'll quit and reopen...Pull off the headset, lie on the floor, quit the program, relaunch and put the headset back on.

After awhile of staring at the rockstar logo I realise ...It's not opening... It's stuck on the loading screen...

Ugh. Take of the headset. Force close. Relaunch. Nothing happens. Rinse repeat, with a couple of computer resets in-between.

I realise the issue is with the bloody social club. Clearly it's trying to validate with a server somewhere and being blocked or ignored.

I finally figure out if I log out of the social club, relogin (do the loving captcha, yet AGAIN) I can get it to launch.

I realise I still have the weird tracking issues. gently caress it - I'm going to do it anyway. Start the tutorial, pick up a pen, dip my hat. Hey, this seems pretty neat!

Oh, my guardian system is like rotated 90 degrees to my position and no way reflects my room space... Well, I haven't calibrated the Oculus in awhile, may as well do that...

Headset off, recalibrate. Rather than repeat all that again, let's see if I can solve these tracking issues. Unplug my extensions, use cables directly, muck about.

Social club logout, login, captcha, relaunch. Hrm I can hear the game, but there's no video from my headset. Headset off, muck about, still no video.

Update drivers, no luck. Run option to 'repair' Oculus software - find it deletes everything, wait as it downloads 5 gig then has unexplained errors and refuses to finish installation.

At this point I just want to refund the software. It had been 3 hours. Last I saw the 'played' time I saw it I had used 35 minutes. This was spent on captchas, loading screens and one minute of gameplay. I gave up and went to bed.

Tonight I am going to completely wipe every trace of the oculus software from my system and try yet again to just get the software running so I can at least attempt a refund. I read you cannot log out of Oculus between periods if you want to refund software, so I might be out of luck. Even worse is the very real possibility that my headset is now completely hosed, whether it is the cable or the screen. Likely not the games fault, but pulling it on and off a million times probably didn't help things.

Rant over. Apologies to anyone that kept up this far for airing my frustations.

TLDR: Rockstar Social club is a painful piece of poo poo and it should be built into Oculus design standards that once an app is launched it is entirely controlled through the headset and should not require using the desktop.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Just think of how much you are helping out the self driving car industry!

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Another Knuckles in action video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ad194iqmfE

The grip pressure bit is pretty neat.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
When will those be available and where can I get them?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
A lot more out there about EV2s than there ever was about the original knuckles. Would this be due to a change in NDA policy? Maybe Valve are happier to let hype build up about this version?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AgentF posted:

A lot more out there about EV2s than there ever was about the original knuckles. Would this be due to a change in NDA policy? Maybe Valve are happier to let hype build up about this version?

They're a lot closer to looking like a retail product, so if they're not feature-complete then they're only a revision or two off from it (which is probably the point of the current dev version). The old ones were pretty bare-bones proof-of-concept devices, and if it wasn't an NDA (which is quite possible), then the devs were all given a shitload of SDK documentation that can be summed up as "THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING TO REMAIN CONSISTENT".

Actually, speaking of; Has there been any mention of if calibrating the grip sensors is any faster on startup? I know with the original dev kits it took a few seconds of finger-flexing for it to calibrate.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're a lot closer to looking like a retail product, so if they're not feature-complete then they're only a revision or two off from it (which is probably the point of the current dev version). The old ones were pretty bare-bones proof-of-concept devices, and if it wasn't an NDA (which is quite possible), then the devs were all given a shitload of SDK documentation that can be summed up as "THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE, DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING TO REMAIN CONSISTENT".

Actually, speaking of; Has there been any mention of if calibrating the grip sensors is any faster on startup? I know with the original dev kits it took a few seconds of finger-flexing for it to calibrate.

I doubt there was an NDA, but they probably asked people not to talk about it previously. Also, it sounds like they have shipped out many more copies (hundreds instead of tens, or less than ten) of Knuckles to various developers.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I know Rez is on the Oculus store, so hopefully in the future Tetris Effect will be on there too (as its the same developer).

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Fano posted:

I bought Arizona Sunshine during the sale and it looks like the trigger buttons on my vive controllers aren't working in game? I'm unable to pick anything up in the main menu to even start. I can teleport just fine and every other game works as expected. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Does anybody else have any insight on this before I go and refund the game?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Has there been any news of any new WMR headsets coming out, or is what's out there going to be it for awhile?

Thinking of either picking up a WMR headset or a RIFT. Not sure if my computer will support all the stuff a rift needs though. Asus Z97-i PLUS motherboard in a fractal design node 304, so I have enough USB ports but I'm not sure if they all share the same usb bus. And there's no room to add an USB card.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danith posted:

Has there been any news of any new WMR headsets coming out, or is what's out there going to be it for awhile?

Thinking of either picking up a WMR headset or a RIFT. Not sure if my computer will support all the stuff a rift needs though. Asus Z97-i PLUS motherboard in a fractal design node 304, so I have enough USB ports but I'm not sure if they all share the same usb bus. And there's no room to add an USB card.

You should consider a Vive as well if you're looking to spend Rift-level money. Especially with the Knuckle controllers looking a lot more like they'll actually release to the public. Plus you don't need to dedicate three 3.0 USB ports to it.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

reminder the price difference is 100 dollars, or 40 dollars if you buy the (by some accounts, necessary) third rift camera

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd say deluxe audio strap for vive is as necessary as the third sensor is for rift.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

tracking seems more important than comfort, but I suppose it's all anecdotal either way. The DAO is still something I've yet buy despite its glowing reviews

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

tracking seems more important than comfort, but I suppose it's all anecdotal either way. The DAO is still something I've yet buy despite its glowing reviews

The difference in tracking is much less noticeable or impactful than the difference in comfort and ease of use between the stock Vive and a Rift or DAS.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The tracking on both is very good. Comfort is extremely important.

Do you still get a few free games with Rift?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Personally I just haven't had a big issue with the comfort of the Vive on my head, but I lose my mind if tracking is off for a second even minutely so I just weigh that as way more important.

Comfort is important, sure, but if we're weighing the two I just think the latter is a bigger deal when we're talking about VR

Tweak fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 27, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

Personally I just haven't had a big issue with the comfort of the Vive on my head, but I lose my mind if tracking is off for a second even minutely so I just weigh that as way more important.

Comfort is important, sure, but if we're weighing the two I just think the latter is a bigger deal when we're talking about VR

Ok, then you should get a Rift because you can use up to 5+ cameras, which will significantly reduce the chances of getting occlusion issues for even a split second compared to the Vive, which only has a max of two lighthouses, and thus a much higher risk of getting occlusion.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Oh ok well then to the original point, I guess the Vive is a cheaper option since you don't need 5 extra cameras and a USB hub/extenders

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Are you being obtuse on purpose?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
How about you just buy whatever you like and let other people buy whatever they like and everyone can be happy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Ok, then you should get a Rift because you can use up to 5+ cameras, which will significantly reduce the chances of getting occlusion issues for even a split second compared to the Vive, which only has a max of two lighthouses, and thus a much higher risk of getting occlusion.

I've almost never had any occlusion with "just" the two lighthouses (also a reminder that the Mk.2 ones can have more than two in a grid) unless I was doing something to REALLY obfuscate them in a way that was abundantly clear it was my fault rather than some arbitrary loss of tracking.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've almost never had any occlusion with "just" the two lighthouses (also a reminder that the Mk.2 ones can have more than two in a grid) unless I was doing something to REALLY obfuscate them in a way that was abundantly clear it was my fault rather than some arbitrary loss of tracking.

Practically the tracking on the Vive is great and better than a Rift with two trackers, and probably three as well unless you have a really well tuned (and small enough) setup, I just don't think he was being fully genuine because occlusion issues do occur on the Vive and the "best" tracking is with a Rift. You have to do absurd nonsense and it's not worth it, but it does have a higher ceiling of quality, at least until lighthouse 2.0 where you can have more than 2 lighthouses.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I wasn't being genuine when suggesting I, a Vive owner, get tracking issues and it drives me insane?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

I wasn't being genuine when suggesting I, a Vive owner, get tracking issues and it drives me insane?

Then why wouldn't you make the effort to get perfect tracking, which currently is only available on the Rift

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I don't have enough USB ports :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tweak posted:

I don't have enough USB ports :haw:

You're in luck, grab one of these and you'll be covered https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM

-----

Cutting through the slap fight, the point is that you can get really great tracking with either a Rift with 3 cameras or a Vive. You can get good comfort with either a Rift or a Vive with the Deluxe Audio Strap. After that point, the main differences are subjective. The optics are generally considered to be better on the Rift, but the Vive has a little wider FOV. The Vive can fit a wider range of head shapes and is more accommodating for glasses. The controllers on the Rift are generally regarded to be superior. If you want to play Rift exclusives, you can do it on a Vive but it's a little janky.

You'll be happy with either, to be honest. Try both out and buy the one you subjectively like better. That's more important than any of the technical differences.