Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Minidust posted:

Weird sticker on the CD packaging:

“THE COMPACT DISC VERSION OF BAD WITCH”

As Sir Lemming pointed out to me, it’s like Trent is specifically guilt-tripping you for not buying it on vinyl :v:

Also that original release date note like it’s a radio promo or something (I bought it on Amazon).

Halo number clearly visible, in case people were wondering if that was still a thing:

Fun fact: This is the first NIN album to have more swearing in the track titles than in the actual songs. :haw: Lil' Balthazar Venn can attend rehearsals without Mariqueen covering his ears.

The vinyl had the same sticker, by the way. But with vinyl instead of compact disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

Minidust posted:

Lil' Balthazar Venn can attend rehearsals without Mariqueen covering his ears.

This next song is called ... Poop Mirror.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Jesus gently caress that's a setlist. I'm seeing them tomorrow night and if they play this setlist I can probably die happy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmxt7ORGFVo

Saw this get retweeted earlier. This is a pro watch.

quote:

1,000,000 01:30
Letting You 05:32
Discipline 09:26
March of the Pigs 13:50
Head Down 17:50
The Frail 21:57
The Wretched 24:12
Closer 29:48
Gave Up 34:19
The Warning 39:09
Vessel 42:53
21 Ghosts III 49:00
28 Ghosts IV 52:00
19 Ghosts III 57:14
Piggy 59:50
The Greater Good 01:06:28
Pinion 01:11:10
Wish 01:11:30
Terrible Lie 01:15:12
Survivalism 01:20:17
The Big Come Down 01:24:42
31 Ghosts IV 01:28:44
Only 01:32:00
The Hand That Feeds 01:36:07
Head Like a Hole 01:39:36

Encore:
Echoplex 01:44:45
The Good Soldier 01:52:04
God Given 01:55:49
Hurt 01:59:48
In This Twilight 02:04:55

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I like Freese on drums.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmxt7ORGFVo

Saw this get retweeted earlier. This is a pro watch.
That set list is the best.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
I feel like it's been a while since anyone's busted Trent's chops for stealing Skinny Puppy's "Dig It" for Down In It and that now's a pretty good time to bring it up again

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-says-kanye-the-weeknd-ripped-off-nins-live-shows/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leon Einstein posted:

That set list is the best.
Pinion going right into Wish is so loving good. It makes me wish they'd do it every time they play Wish. It wouldn't even take that much longer!

Photex posted:

I like Freese on drums.
Yeah, my god is he a beast here :eyepop:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

olives black posted:

I feel like it's been a while since anyone's busted Trent's chops for stealing Skinny Puppy's "Dig It" for Down In It and that now's a pretty good time to bring it up again

https://pitchfork.com/news/trent-reznor-says-kanye-the-weeknd-ripped-off-nins-live-shows/

Yeah, you got it Trent, you invented background screens and lighting rigs. You old, stupid rear end in a top hat.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Skinny Puppy did it before NIN, not that using a backdrop video during a concert is some hugely original idea anyway.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, you got it Trent, you invented background screens and lighting rigs. You old, stupid rear end in a top hat.

lmao wtf

E: is that you abed???

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Didn't talking heads break out projectors for their shows when they were on the road?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why Kanye and the Weekend specifically? Hasn't everyone done exactly all of this for the last decade?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Why Kanye and the Weekend specifically? Hasn't everyone done exactly all of this for the last decade?

If you actually clicked the article you would have seen that they have shared tour production designers

quote:

Nine Inch Nails and Kanye have both worked with production designer Martin Phillips (the creator of the iconic Daft Punk pyramid) in the past.

In a 2017 Billboard interview, Sooner Routhier and Robert Long, the Weeknd’s lighting and production designers for his “Starboy: Legend of the Fall” tour, acknowledged Reznor's influence on their work. “We’ve always called [the Weeknd’s] aesthetic the Nine Inch Nails of R&B,” they said. “His music has so many dynamics and the visuals and lighting have to reflect that. But, it still has to be simple.” Routhier added, “I have always looked up to and respected Roy Bennett. His lighting designs for Nine Inch Nails and Prince have inspired me since I was in college.”

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Well, this is a thing apparently.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If you actually clicked the article you would have seen that they have shared tour production designers

Jeesh. I did click it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Bad Witch is the most interesting thing Reznor has done since Year Zero / Ghosts. More of this please.

If poo poo Mirror and The Background World swapped EPs then this would be a perfect EP. I'm coming around on poo poo Mirror, but it's the only track I'm not in love with.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

holy lol

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The idea of an NIN-branded coffee is super lol-worthy, but PAWS is a pretty legit charity, so I might just pick it up to feed my coffee addiction.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Starbucks, Inc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

:master:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Asnorban posted:

Bad Witch is the most interesting thing Reznor has done since Year Zero / Ghosts. More of this please.

If poo poo Mirror and The Background World swapped EPs then this would be a perfect EP. I'm coming around on poo poo Mirror, but it's the only track I'm not in love with.

As much as I love The Background World the 10 minute tail kind of kills listening to the trilogy as a single album.

stev fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 27, 2018

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahahahaha :perfect:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Steve2911 posted:

As much as I love The Background World the 10 minute tail find of kills listening to the trilogy as a single album.
I honestly don't really get what he was going for there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

As much as I love The Background World the 10 minute tail kind of kills listening to the trilogy as a single album.

it works if you put it last

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
ngl I'm a little disappointed that Trent seems to be in "old man shouts at Kanye" mode these days (refering to some other recent interviews with him as well)

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
It should be beneath him to talk poo poo. Acting like he invented video as a companion to music is pretty weird.

Speaking of that, I saw a meat beat manifesto concert where the video was the sources of his samples while they were triggered in the songs. It's hard to explain, but it owned.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
That quote feels like it's being way overblown because in context he's just pointing out that Yeezy and the weeknd both worked with his same light and stage designer, and the weeknds team even says they consider themselves "the nin of r&b"

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

That quote feels like it's being way overblown because in context he's just pointing out that Yeezy and the weeknd both worked with his same light and stage designer, and the weeknds team even says they consider themselves "the nin of r&b"

The context is from the author of the article, not Trent himself, though.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Donovan Trip posted:

nah he really is just being a little bitch

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbc6music/status/1012055728432001026

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leon Einstein posted:

It should be beneath him to talk poo poo. Acting like he invented video as a companion to music is pretty weird.

Speaking of that, I saw a meat beat manifesto concert where the video was the sources of his samples while they were triggered in the songs. It's hard to explain, but it owned.
That rules. There was this band I saw a few times years ago (and played with once) whose drummer had his kit hooked up to their lighting rig, so like strobes would flash when he'd hit certain drums. It was loving awesome.

They weren't a big act or anything, but that just elevated their already dope live show so much.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not really seeing it, if that's talking poo poo I may be skewed because that just sounds like stating facts about the look of Kanye and the weeknds stage. Especially on yeezus and the short lived TLOP tour.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I think you’re just mad he called the new Kanye album garbage lol

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Leon Einstein posted:

He spent the '90s and half of the '00s talking poo poo about everyone and made a music video specifically for that purpose, if anything the overall amount of poo poo talking is only starting to return to characteristic levels

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think you’re just mad he called the new Kanye album garbage lol

nah i just think it's funny that he has totally forgotten that he ripped off both the video and the song that put him on the map.

also I haven't listened to a kanye album since dark twisted fantasy

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

All those industrial music videos were grainy B&W/desaturated back then. Or it was footage of catastrophes or graphic scenes from movies.

I remember.

I was there.

I am old.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
You can definitely hear that he was inspired by Dig It, but musically they're not that similar.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
look guys, face it, industrial music is fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Leon Einstein posted:

I honestly don't really get what he was going for there.

Trent was 52 years old at the time, it's a 9 second sample looped 52 times. Each time it decays.