Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Well, I wouldn't expect a deranged serial killer to just go quietly.

Speaking of Criminal Minds, it's my GF's favorite, so I inevitably end up watching it a lot. I remember this one scene in this latest season where the criminal is having like a fantasy of marrying someone, but the way they shot it made it look so incredibly cheap. Like daytime TV spliced into this primetime cop show.

Are you sure that was the latest season? Because one from like four seasons ago has Luke Cage as the unsub with those fantasies and it was shot pretty badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Arivia posted:

Are you sure that was the latest season? Because one from like four seasons ago has Luke Cage as the unsub with those fantasies and it was shot pretty badly.

I googled it and I pulled up the episode (I think) on Netflix now. It's actually from Season 6. I'll let if it's the one I saw.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The best thing to come out of Criminal Minds is the episode of the dearly departed Limitless TV show that made fun of it. The main character's FBI group is tasked to investigate a serial killer but he thinks the whole thing is way too gross so all of a sudden the episode is about a serial "hugger" and everything gets sanitized.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Yep this is the one. Season 6 episode 13.

I'm gonna upload the scene lol.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFNwPfm81w

skooma512 has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Jun 26, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"A police shooting at Owl Creek Bridge."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Straight White Shark posted:

Burn Notice existed in the same sort of milieu and managed the eventual shift back and forth from doing legitimate government work pretty well.

Speaking of which: while I wouldn't say that it aged poorly, Burn Notice's aversion to lethal takedowns seems really loving quaint by today's standards; it felt like a throwback even at the time but nowadays the lengths that Michael goes to in order to avoid murdering mooks almost seem less credible than the MacGyvering he does, at least in the context of being an action show.

And when the gang actually do kill a couple of innocent civilians, Fiona goes to prison for like three days.

Much like the X-Files, Burn Notice's criminal-of-the-week stuff is usually way more appealing than the mytharc. And most of the McGuyvering in the show was at least reasonably plausible. They did a thing about pulling RAM out of a laptop and freezing it to steal encrypted data, which is actually a thing that researches at Princeton experimented with and found that it's totally possible.

I don't know if it aged badly, because it was pretty awful at the time, but there's an episode where Michael and Fiona go undercover as hackers to infiltrate a well-funded illegal cyber warfare operation. The entire episode has them just randomly saying computery-sounding words and all these supposed expert hackers around them just sort of nod and agree with everything. Oh, and Mythbusters debunked two notoriously stupid moments: ricocheting a bullet off of the road when in a moving vehicle, to penetrate the underside of a bullet-proofed vehicle and shoot the driver from underneath, and throwing a mattress into a swimming pool to break your fall from a high balcony (turns out that this would almost certainly kill you, but an expert diver could survive the fall into a standard-depth pool without the mattress)

Burn Notice brought us "my name is *huge explosion*, and I'm from the department of *another huge explosion*" which was amazing though

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I really enjoyed Burn Notice at the time because even if everything that happened was complete bullshit, the way Michael narrated and explained it made me believe it was somewhat plausible.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The most perplexing part of Burn Notice was the Sam Axe tv movie.

If people want to give money to Bruce Campbell, they have my full support, but I have no idea who that movie was for.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Much like the X-Files, Burn Notice's criminal-of-the-week stuff is usually way more appealing than the mytharc.
Much like every one of those shows. They start out doing good crime/monster of the week stuff until they run out of ideas and then they stall for time while pretending that there's some big payoff planned. But there never is. It always ends up getting dumber and dumber until the show loses enough viewers that it gets cancelled and either ends with an incredibly unsatisfying resolution or no resolution at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Much like every one of those shows. They start out doing good crime/monster of the week stuff until they run out of ideas and then they stall for time while pretending that there's some big payoff planned. But there never is. It always ends up getting dumber and dumber until the show loses enough viewers that it gets cancelled and either ends with an incredibly unsatisfying resolution or no resolution at all.

The problem is that there was never a planned out mytharc. The only reason the X-Files had one was because they needed a reason for Gillian Anderson to disappear for a few episodes due to being pregnant.

I've said it many times, with how streaming is changing the face of TV, I would love to see a procedural where cases aren't exactly solved in one episode. Make one monster of the week last 3 weeks, or hell, maybe resolve in week 4 in connection with a different monster of the week.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

The problem is that there was never a planned out mytharc. The only reason the X-Files had one was because they needed a reason for Gillian Anderson to disappear for a few episodes due to being pregnant.

I've said it many times, with how streaming is changing the face of TV, I would love to see a procedural where cases aren't exactly solved in one episode. Make one monster of the week last 3 weeks, or hell, maybe resolve in week 4 in connection with a different monster of the week.

So, classic Doctor Who?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

So, classic Doctor Who?

ew, gently caress no

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean, Bosch, Murder One, the Killing etc are that. Heck, Even Gotham usually has multi-episode villains.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tiggum posted:

Person of Interest's myth episodes were good, except for the last season, which was rushed because of network mandates/cuts. It was a good progression from street crime, organized crime/police corruption, shadowy organization, then, uh, two AIs going to war with each other. I think it also helped that the various "big bad" storylines interweaved with each other, so it wasn't the sort of standard "okay this threat is done, now a new challenger appears!" but instead has a more natural buildup of events. The aforementioned shadowy organization has its roots pretty early on, for example, so it when it became the prominent threat, it didn't just come out of nowhere.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Burn Notice often had him manipulate the villain of the week into a position where other people would kill them. He didn’t go and drop bodies himself often but he definitely killed a lot of people.

IIRC a lot of it was so the cops would care less about him instead of not wanting to kill anyone and because his mom would feel bad. I liked that show a lot more than I thought I would though the last season or two blew p much entirely because of the arc that didn't actually matter to anyone.

The episode where he pretends to be the devil is pretty fun though

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jun 26, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the worst examples of tv shows that completely ran out of juice in their final seasons? You know, where the cast is visibly exhausted and everything and there's a pervasive sense that they just want to get it over with and go home?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Castle. From season 5 or 6 on you could just hear the cast going "oh god drat it" every time the show got renewed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Besesoth posted:

Castle. From season 5 or 6 on you could just hear the cast going "oh god drat it" every time the show got renewed.

I'm sure it didn't help that the leads apparently hated each other.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the worst examples of tv shows that completely ran out of juice in their final seasons? You know, where the cast is visibly exhausted and everything and there's a pervasive sense that they just want to get it over with and go home?

I admittedly didn't watch much of it after Carrell left, but The Office seemed like this.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I got the impression Tom Welling was tired of Smallville by the time he got to season two.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wheat Loaf posted:

That 70s show after Topher Grace left when as somebody said in a different thread the actors stopped giving a poo poo and started having the hairstyles they wanted to have instead of their characters' hairstyle

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Agreeing with The Office and also throwing Full House from season 2 onwards in there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also the Simpsons in the theoretical world where their last season was like 15 years ago

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Calaveron posted:

That 70s show after Topher Grace left when as somebody said in a different thread the actors stopped giving a poo poo and started having the hairstyles they wanted to have instead of their characters' hairstyle

Scientology spread like the plague on that set.

I hear the guy who played Jonas Quinn in Stargate SG1 kept trying to convert people. It’s extra funny because the entire show is about toppling false gods.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

skooma512 posted:

I hear the guy who played Jonas Quinn in Stargate SG1 kept trying to convert people. It’s extra funny because the entire show is about toppling false gods.

:ssh: Scientology isn't about religion, its about tax evasion.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Samuringa posted:

I really enjoyed Burn Notice at the time because even if everything that happened was complete bullshit, the way Michael narrated and explained it made me believe it was somewhat plausible.

Yeah I only caught the occasional episode but that was the best part. His logic behind using a dummy electrical box as a safe in plain sight still seems pretty sound. (Average person leaves it alone out of fear of electrocution, electricians leave it alone because it's not connected to anything, and that's not their job man.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Criminal Minds, it's my GF's favorite, so I inevitably end up watching it a lot.

Same. Been through it at least twice completely on Netflix, plus watching extra "one-offs" of the episodes she really likes, catching re-runs on live TV, etc...

I also try to make a game of it by trying to guess at the start of the episode who is just a figment of the killer's imagination/was already dead the whole time. Then at the end they do the BIG REVEAL that "holy poo poo, the little person helping him turn people into marionettes was just, himself, a little marionette and wasn't really there! Wow, so clever!"

Off the top of my head, there's:
The combination Psycho/Sunset Boulevard rip-off where a guy's mom was in a Golden Era Movie once, so he kills women for her but she's a skelington.
The aforementioned one where a killer turns people into living marionette dolls and there's a dwarf who we see helping him who's just a puppet.
The X-Files dude (Baldy, not Spooky Fox or Redhead) kills people in their cars and is also fighting with his family, but turns out he actually killed them before the episode starts and was hallucinating.
A guy who hallucinated 3 or 4 "friends" from his schizophrenia and wanted an exorcism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember the Mandy Patinkin episodes of Criminal Minds were about the pathology of the killer, who usually wasn't revealed until the third act of a given episode, but I think it reached a point where most of the episodes would begin with the killer and follow them a bit, then the team would come in and it would feel more like they're playing catch-up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah I only caught the occasional episode but that was the best part. His logic behind using a dummy electrical box as a safe in plain sight still seems pretty sound. (Average person leaves it alone out of fear of electrocution, electricians leave it alone because it's not connected to anything, and that's not their job man.)

I remember loving one when I watched, but it did not age well because technology moved forwards: Michael is ambushed in a house and he has no way of fighting it out, so he has to look for an escape route that no one would think of guarding; he kicks out an AC and crawls out of the hole. People guard doors and windows but no one guards an AC. But now the ones we use are all Split so he'd be hosed nowadays...

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Wheat Loaf posted:

Newsradio after Phil Hartman died. Just not the same.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

skooma512 posted:

And his name is Corin Nemec which is waaaaay more scifi than Jonas Quinn. And apparently he was enough of a bother they fired him to bring back Michael Shanks- after they had phased Shanks out and hired Nemec in the first place because Shanks wanted a huge-rear end salary increase and to show off his newly buff physique instead of being a nerd reading dusty books after five seasons.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Wheat Loaf posted:

Gilmore Girls was terrible in its last season. The creators of the show left, so it was just a bunch of people writing fan fiction at that point. And then they tried to do a revival years later and that just made it weirder.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

Newsradio after Phil Hartman died. Just not the same.

Was going to say this. You could tell some of the soul of the show was just gone but they were mandated to continue.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Star Trek The Next Generation season 7.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SEX BURRITO posted:

Gilmore Girls was terrible in its last season. The creators of the show left, so it was just a bunch of people writing fan fiction at that point. And then they tried to do a revival years later and that just made it weirder.

Trap sprung!

The real divide happens about midway through the sixth season.my theory is Amy Sheridan knew she was getting booted and wrote the show into a corner. Whether it was out of spite or she had an answer either way she took it with her. The writers did they’re best getting out of it and were in negotiations til like the bitter end to get a half season to wrap it up. They didn’t and the ending is rushed.

The Netflix movies aren’t so much a revival but a chance for the original creators to give the show a proper send off. And they’re good! Mostly. There are some flaws and a bit of weirdness but it’s a proper ending at least

Now the xfiles revival... ugh

At least the second movie had the feel of a solid two parter

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ambitious Spider posted:

Trap sprung!

The real divide happens about midway through the sixth season.my theory is Amy Sheridan knew she was getting booted and wrote the show into a corner. Whether it was out of spite or she had an answer either way she took it with her.

Could you remind me what happened? I don't want to open that box with my wife around...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gilmore Girls actually turned to poo poo as soon as Logan and his lovely friends were introduced.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mu Zeta posted:

Gilmore Girls actually turned to poo poo as soon as Logan and his lovely friends were introduced.

The show just got worse in general as soon as Rory graduated high school.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pick posted:

Star Trek The Next Generation season 7.

Voyager after the first handful of episodes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

IIRC a lot of it was so the cops would care less about him instead of not wanting to kill anyone and because his mom would feel bad. I liked that show a lot more than I thought I would though the last season or two blew p much entirely because of the arc that didn't actually matter to anyone.

The episode where he pretends to be the devil is pretty fun though

I think the show really is trying to push the idea that Mike is just that much of a boy scout. Fi has a lot less compunction about killing people, and she's competent enough to be at large after years of crime, so it's presumably not just necessity.

(He does get less careful when he gets to do official CIA business overseas, but he's still relatively clean.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

Voyager after the first handful of episodes.

I wonder if anyone's ever tallied/separated out the episodes based on which Janeway was in them.

Could you tell a coherent story with only the episodes where Janeway was no-nonsense about getting the crew home at any cost?

Could you do the same by stringing together every episode where she was compassionate to a fault?