Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

DogonCrook posted:

Am i crazy or was this called something else? I dont remember buying this version or whatever it is, but it is really good. Maybe it was a demo for preordering that i played or something because it was just the destruction derby stuff i think.

Next car game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Harminoff posted:

Next car game

Yeah that rings a bell it, was a stupid name.

The crx's have a "bang me in the rear" livery

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It was Bugbear's Next Car Game: Wreckfest for a while before THQ Nordic took it over and actually turned it into a videogame.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Not racing per se, but how is beam.ng with a wheel?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Harminoff posted:

I’ve tried it and it works but it’s super floaty. I prefer that one with a controller and keyboard/mouse

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
ive been on the fence about beam ng but this is kinda cool. They are working with automation so anything you make in that game there will port into beam ng and they are bringing the test track. I had been thinking about that game too since the competitions in that thread seemed fun but i never got a round to buying it either.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/284160/announcements/detail/3428810266254672729

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The Raceroom summer sale is in progress atm, don't know how many of you are into it but there are some p deep discounts (ingame store, not Steam).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

DogonCrook posted:

ive been on the fence about beam ng but this is kinda cool. They are working with automation so anything you make in that game there will port into beam ng and they are bringing the test track. I had been thinking about that game too since the competitions in that thread seemed fun but i never got a round to buying it either.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/284160/announcements/detail/3428810266254672729

Yeah, I'm looking forward to Friday the 13th just for that reason, I already have both games.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Harminoff posted:

I agree that the controls are a bit floaty, but it's quite fun once you tweak the wheel settings and force feedback.

Racing in BeamNG is always a lost cause for me because I slide everywhere, but offroad and climbing are where the fun is here. Not to mention the jump maps and damage model.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's aggravating to read up on beam.ng because of it. People rabidly defending the driving model because "ITS 100% ACCURATE!!" and I suppose maybe their equations are in fact lifted straight out of a physics textbook but that poo poo don't fly in a video game. Feeling real is more important than being real and they're working against 40 years of gamers being trained to expect a game to work a certain way.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The most fun in BeamNG definitely happens at lower speeds. It was the same thing with its predecessor, Rigs of Rods, where the "realistic" physics model is probably doing the math right but just isn't simulating with enough detail to get the real world answer. In the real world tires flex in thousands of places per tread block to grab around the texture of the road surface, where in the Beam world you have a few hundred polygons at best against a perfectly flat surface with a semi-arbitrary traction multiplier applied.

JeffT417
Oct 15, 2012
One thing I love about beam is the modelling of engine movement and clutch engagement. It's by far my favorite game (program?) to use to teach friends the basics of driving a manual car. The support for transfer cases and locking differentials is awesome if you're a 4x4 enthusiast also.

Hopefully the automation integration will play nice with the existing vehicles. I'd love the ability just to import engines and transmissions alone to the official BeamNG content.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

xzzy posted:

It's aggravating to read up on beam.ng because of it. People rabidly defending the driving model because "ITS 100% ACCURATE!!" and I suppose maybe their equations are in fact lifted straight out of a physics textbook but that poo poo don't fly in a video game. Feeling real is more important than being real and they're working against 40 years of gamers being trained to expect a game to work a certain way.

I have a hard time believing that beam.ng is 100% accurate given that any given car in that game drives like it has pogo sticks for a suspension and coagulated grease for wheels.

Also, you've probably all seen it already, but Nordschleife in 5:19:54 IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

Also, you've probably all seen it already, but Nordschleife in 5:19:54 IRL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

Yeah, it's bonkers. Jimmy Broadbent was slightly faster in Assetto Corsa (but that version is probably quite a bit off the real world car/rocket): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DuNdC_LA0

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Life of an ACVW owner in the pacific northwest.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
That doesn't look entirely safe.

For those interested in discovering obscure but amazing race tracks, check out Bikernieki for Assetto Corsa. Download here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/bikernieki-race-track.17186/
I made a quick video of a race against the AI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NeYZo3tDro

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Heads up if you have wreckfest and a wheel putting the saturation at 45 makes a world of a difference!

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Steen71 posted:

That doesn't look entirely safe.

Looks like Conrod Straight at Bathurst. Got plenty of time to do it there and seeing where you're going is kinda nice when going over the mountain.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
fyi the r3e sale ends today and the discounts are Quite Good e.g. I just bought the full content pack for £45 (buy their fake currency first at a discount, then use it to buy stuff in the store for another discount)

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I added a couple mods to the OP, but since nobody probably notices that I want to point out:

Content Manager for Assetto Corsa (Payware)
https://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html
A vastly superior UI for Assetto Corsa, visually and functionally. Many many additional options.

Well worth the money imo.

Feldbergring
If you love vintage road courses, this is for you.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

GhostDog posted:

Feldbergring
If you love vintage road courses, this is for you.

:cheers: It is so, so good.

About 15 years ago I remember struggling to get under 8 minutes around Nürburgring in Grand Prix Legends. It was THE achievement in GPL, and I spent ages trying to string together that flawless lap. It was one thing to memorise every turn, it was as much of a challenge not to make a mistake in the very skittish GPL cars. I finally did it in 2003, after having raced GPL for about three years!

Today I decided to attempt it in Assetto Corsa at the '65 Nordschleife mod track. The track is fairly similar to the GPL version, I think, and if you know the modern version, you should feel reasonably at home. Some turns are quite a bit tighter though, and there are some serious jumps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThDm4NtKzKk

Download the track here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/3yzvmm2f1xfhkl9/N%C3%BCrburgring+1965+v1.0+by+Rainmaker.7z

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are there any boat racing games with wheel support?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GutBomb posted:

The Crew 2, and I think right now that's about it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

GutBomb posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/501090/

Supposedly has pretty believable physics and FFB, but it doesn't look like much of a game, more like a sandbox where you can "build" boats and do time trials.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GhostDog posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/501090/

Supposedly has pretty believable physics and FFB, but it doesn't look like much of a game, more like a sandbox where you can "build" boats and do time trials.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Even has VR support!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
So Fanatec has revealed their two new DD wheels, one at €1499 and the slightly less powerful one will be auction only :wtc:

Buy today for December delivery! Dont forget your 2 year extended warranty :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget to order your separate kill switch because it doesn't come with one unlike every other industrial servo based wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, the DD1 is auction only because they have no idea what price to give it. It's only slightly less powerful than the DD2 but they can't just sell it really close in price to the DD2 because that's a huge gap between the CSW 2.5 and the DD1. The auction is so they can figure out what price people are willing to pay. I'm guessing that it will be 1000 dollars at the end of the day. It can't be so expensive that someone will just drop another couple hundred to just get the better one, and it can't be so cheap that no one bothers with the better one.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I think it will depend on the availablilty of the DD2; if at the time of auctions you can get a DD2 to your door in under, say, 4 weeks for €1499 then yes, I see the DD1 auctions going for 1200-1300.

If there is no DD2 availability and the DD1 in the auction(s) are ready to ship at the end of the auction, I can see impatient people going 'gently caress it' and spending 1600~ just to have one of their DD wheels.

So I actually think its possible we could see the auction DD1 sell for more than 1500, given the right/wrong circumstances

Anyway its a dumb idea

e: going from 3 to 5 years warranty costs €299 :lol:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I don't really care about much more power, the V2 at peak is already plenty strong imo. Maybe 10Nm tops to have some headroom and not having to worry about clipping. Mostly I'm interested in more detail and less resistance, although without ever having tried a DD I don't know how big the difference to a high end belt like the V2 really is.

Not sure if 1500 bucks is worth it to me, probably not. Certainly not as an early adopter.

Edit:

CactusWeasle posted:

e: going from 3 to 5 years warranty costs €299 :lol:

And this is just ridiculous.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 13, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they release the DD1 at 1k, I'll do what I can to try to get one. If not, then whatever, my CSW v2 is still really good. I don't know what it is about Fanatec. Their poo poo breaks and they refuse to support it but it's still really good when it works.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I have the very first version of the CSW so I was at least waiting for the announcement today to see what was what. It's probably better for me to go to the CSW 2.5 than literally an extra €1000 for the DD2.

If it WAS 1000e the DD1 could still be on the table but I think the eventual MSRP could be 1250/1300. I dont see them dropping 500 from the only-slightly more powerful version.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never understood why people are so hot for more force. A good brushless belt drive unit provides enough force to make log races tiring if you want it to.

What I would want is better definition, but belts are already really good at that too.

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t get direct drive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Basically it's to get better feedback. Direct drive is both powerful and fast.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I never understood why people are so hot for more force. A good brushless belt drive unit provides enough force to make log races tiring if you want it to.

What I would want is better definition, but belts are already really good at that too.

I LOVE my CSWv1. There has never been a time when ive been using it and thought "there should be something better than this", but I'm probably about as smart as the people who
need to buy an iPhone 6 when they have an iPhone 5 when it comes to sim racing stuff. It's 1500 it must be fantastic :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think they just want that much smoother, but the csw 2.5 is pretty dang good there too.

Seriously though I run my force st like 60%, nowhere near maxing out.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Most people with DD wheels don't run that at the max force. I have a small mige which is 20Nm peak / 10Nm holding torque. In iRacing I run 50Nm FFB, but in the simcube software I run at 90% which is rated in amps (12.89 being my max). iRacing is weird in that when you lower the FFB it compresses the signal, so you can end up with clipping. The hardware section in the forum came to the consensus to use 43-60Nm in iRacing to get a full range in the sim, then adjust overall strength in simcube to a comfortable level.

The speed at which it changes direction means you can feel smaller changes. So peak torque will be how fast it changes, holding torque is how much force is required to move the servo when its holding a specific position.

Also fun fact iRacing FFB is programmed at 60Hz, but has an option to output telemtry data (including FFB signals) at 360Hz. Hence why there is a irFFB program that people use. Some say its causes a small but noticable delay. I don't use it cause it requires using vJoy to create a spoofed controller (sort of like how CH manager will map multiple devices to one big virtual device).

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 13, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thomas showed a graph during their live stream that showed the smoothness of various wheels. The CSW 2.5 was pretty smooth and the new DD2 was even smoother. He also had a wink wink nudge nudge hybrid servo wheel that was probably the accuforce that was like a sinewave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I've been tooling around in AC lately and haven't really played it since I got my DD wheel earlier in the year. I use a modded fanatec bmw rim (using teency lc to make it think its a CSW) strapped onto the servo. I noticed that AC, without needing fanaleds, uses the leds and rumble motors in the rim. Its pretty cool to have an extra thud when you flat spotted the tires.

I don't use fanaleds in iracing though cause I don't like the vibrate to shift or random rumbling it seems to do.