Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a shot of a practical alien looking up and hissing at Ripley when she blows up the eggs.

Plus I think shot or two when a character gets grabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PriorMarcus posted:

There's not a single full bodu shot in that scene where the alien isn't really dated CGI.

Which isn't to say I don't believe you, it's just a shame they didn't use any of that footage.

There’s some practical Alien shots before it leaps up out of the water and onto the ladder. It’s brief, but you can see it here from 0:20 to 0:24
https://youtu.be/14Mf_nTyWBc

I remember seeing behind the scenes footage of Woodruff testing the Alien suit in a swimming pool, that might be when they almost drowned him. I’ll try to track that footage down; if that’s when things went wrong with the suit, that might be why there aren’t as many practical suit shots in that scene.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wasn't the story there that Jeunet read Whedon's script and got all the comedic bits mixed up with serious bits and vice versa?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Leavemywife posted:

Wasn't the story there that Jeunet read Whedon's script and got all the comedic bits mixed up with serious bits and vice versa?

Yes. If I remember right, Jeunet wasn’t fluent in English at the time of filming.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Leavemywife posted:

This was probably for the best, honestly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Yes. If I remember right, Jeunet wasn’t fluent in English at the time of filming.

"How are we gonna find someone willing to direct this script!"

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

"How are we gonna find someone willing to direct this script!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg2N0dOb_jM&t=169s

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For people who want to see more of David's crazy drawings from 'Alien Covenant', this is coming in September:

https://www.amazon.com/Alien-Covenant-Drawings-Dane-Hallett/dp/1785659243

It's a compilation of all the artwork done for David's bestiary along with another book where the artists talk about their design process. I'm really stoked for this.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

For people who want to see more of David's crazy drawings from 'Alien Covenant', this is coming in September:

It's a compilation of all the artwork done for David's bestiary along with another book where the artists talk about their design process. I'm really stoked for this.

Yep getting this for sure

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Wonderful. Need this in my life.

Wish it came with audiobook by Fassbender but whatevs

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Thinkin bout that flute scene

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Definitely getting this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is there a CD thread for the new Predator film? I scanned through the list but missed it if it is there.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
New trailer looks slightly better, still not good though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Hey what's the thread consensus on Convenant? I thought it was atrocious overall (oh my god the cgi not-chestbursters and the fight scenes urghhh) but did like the David and Walter scenes. Flute scene undoubtedly best scene in movie.

I liked Prometheus too. Had some of the same problems and plenty all its own but was actually interesting and about as original as a big budget SF film's ever going to be.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 26, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

(oh my god the cgi not-chestbursters and the fight scenes urghhh)

The chestbursters/baby aliens were practical rod puppets.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
The only scene in Resurrection that really worked for me was the discovery of the clone lab. Wonderfully creepy. The rest of it misfires in so many ways.

I dislike Covenant for discarding so much of what was built in Prometheus, but last time I said that it caused a huge kerfuffle. I still think Pro and Cov would be much better if they were unrelated to Alien and just explored their own themes.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I love Prometheus, wanted to see more adventures of Lisbeth Salander and her beheaded robot pal going off to fight aliens, instead she got Poochie'd in the worst way.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

brocked posted:

I love Prometheus, wanted to see more adventures of Lisbeth Salander and her beheaded robot pal going off to fight aliens, instead she got Poochie'd in the worst way.

A sequel to Prometheus that gives the fans more Prometheus Brand Adventures would be straight up bullshit

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, red-shirting Lisbeth Salander and making David the queer robot wizard king was the most Prometheus-direction they could have gone.

Because Prometheus was already saying - looking at the Alien franchise and saying - "Okay, gently caress all this bullshit, let's just make bizarre sci-fi movies. gently caress continuity, we can do whatever we want, no rules."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shaw's appearance in Covenant as such is very weird and creepy and in keeping with the previous film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, it's very sad and fitting that she basically becomes the ghosts she was chasing in Prometheus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

The chestbursters/baby aliens were practical rod puppets.

Yes and no. They used those on set but painted over them completely with CGI. Basically reference and something to actually shoot. There’s very little to no practical creatures effects in Covenant, except for like, he facehugger on the face.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Yes and no. They used those on set but painted over them completely with CGI. Basically reference and something to actually shoot.

This really paid off in the brief part where the neomorph and David interact.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

willie_dee posted:

New trailer looks slightly better, still not good though.

I like how they completely omitted anything to do with the autistic kid who hopefully was tossed in reshoots and edits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It would be impossible to do so.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CelticPredator posted:

Not through the magic of taking a hatchet to the editing room. :sparkles:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

They have plenty of time to reshoot and chop out the kid if they wanted to.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Give us the Autistic Kid Cut!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

They have plenty of time to reshoot and chop out the kid if they wanted to.

No they don’t.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

No they don’t.

Whole films have been made in less than three months, Ron Howard reshot most of Solo in five. They could do it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Whole films have been made in less than three months, Ron Howard reshot most of Solo in five. They could do it.

If they had completely re-written and re-shot the film to eliminate a major character, we'd know about it by now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

He didn’t do poo poo but make a lousy movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Solo was a fun watch, not a great film, but entertaining. I don't see The Predator being anything but terrible might as well butcher it up. Though they won't and everyone's going to complain when it turns out the kid's roll in the film sucks and the studio will wonder why it didn't work out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sometimes trailers just focus on different characters more than others, and over the course of multiple trailers they try to mix it up so that certain characters get more focus if they didn't before. For instance, this new trailer focuses a lot more on Sterling K. Brown's character than the previous one, and I don't think Thomas Jane appeared in the first trailer at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

Solo was a fun watch, not a great film, but entertaining. I don't see The Predator being anything but terrible might as well butcher it up. Though they won't and everyone's going to complain when it turns out the kid's roll in the film sucks and the studio will wonder why it didn't work out.

Solo was agony for me.

It’s a Shane Black and Fred Dekker movie, of course there’s gonna be a kid in it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ok the kid can stay.

but only if hes inexplicably face hugged out of nowhere and gets chest-bursted like in A:VIPeR

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
New trailer looks like they decided to remake AvP Requiem. Since that was half a good movie, I'm cautiously interested.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

new The Predator looks cool and fun and i will watch the heck out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Really the black predators again. It's like they merged the alien vs predator 2 pc game with predators. The masks look dumb. Will prob see if, hopefully its action schlock.