Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bad Seafood posted:

Eagerly awaiting the subplot where Duane teaches Sette how to read. Sette feeds Jivi his still-beating heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah but that's going to happen right now so there's nothing to await.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My money is on Sette leaving, than ambushing him on his way back while he's alone and beating the poo poo out of him, followed by some bonding over their mutual hatred of Jivi

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Jivi's awfully judgemental for the son of a pirate.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Thats probably why he's so judgmental - Sette reminds him of the life he harshly rejected.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, I figured. And, I mean, I find Sette to be charming and I know a lot about her internal struggles, but Jivi's seen less and is also in a position to care less because he actually has to deal with the consequences of her actions. Making fun of her being illiterate is beyond the pale, but as emotionally mature as he can be, he's also still a kid and Sette also stomps right on a lot of his biases. It's easier to just write her off as a Shart than it is to fully get into why she's not emotionally prepared to stop looking for the approval of a parent who isn't doing what's best for her, etc.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I don't think he'd give a a poo poo about her criminal record if she wasn't also guilty of the far greater crime of being the most obnoxious person alive

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I figured. And, I mean, I find Sette to be charming and I know a lot about her internal struggles, but Jivi's seen less and is also in a position to care less because he actually has to deal with the consequences of her actions. Making fun of her being illiterate is beyond the pale, but as emotionally mature as he can be, he's also still a kid and Sette also stomps right on a lot of his biases. It's easier to just write her off as a Shart than it is to fully get into why she's not emotionally prepared to stop looking for the approval of a parent who isn't doing what's best for her, etc.

Hey now, Duane is doing everything he can to protect Sette when he has the mental faculties to do so.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I don't think he'd give a a poo poo about her criminal record if she wasn't also guilty of the far greater crime of being the most obnoxious person alive

This.

And don't forget in comic time this is still just after she pulled a giant loving dagger on him to settle an argument. If someone did that to me in the afternoon and I got a chance to take pot shots at them later I'm petty enough to do it. Plus they're all kids in there right now, and nothing gets riled up more easily than a pack of kids getting to play the 'lets mock the different one'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean, yeah, that's my point. It's not that she's a criminal but that she's obnoxious, willfully uneducated, arrogant, and mean to Matty. My point is that I don't think he gives her slack for the behavioral stuff due to the bad past stuff because he's also got bad past stuff. Someone older might be able to go 'oh her coping mechanisms are just really different from his' but Jivi's a kid too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's kinda neat to see Sette get some of her own medicine after so long of being a little poo poo but Ashley did a good job in basically showing that you can still go too far.

Jivi's really acting like he's in his element and asskissing Cresce's culture when in reality he's a complete coward who has ran from every responsibility he has ever owed it. Ran from his mom (after being a boatswain on a pirate ship for however long which is illegal), ran from his uncle's place, shacked up with a Black Tongue which if he was as good of a Crescian as he puffs himself up to be would be out of the question, and is traveling with an Ald-majority party which is basically heresy. Even if it's the smartest thing to do (he'd be dead otherwise) he's a piss-poor representative of his country's values even with his outbursts of heroism.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That's not how you impress the girls Jivi.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Rude but not inaccurate

Trick is I'm more invested in her being the most obnoxious person alive rather than jivi who is being obnoxious without context

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda neat to see Sette get some of her own medicine after so long of being a little poo poo but Ashley did a good job in basically showing that you can still go too far.

Jivi's really acting like he's in his element and asskissing Cresce's culture when in reality he's a complete coward who has ran from every responsibility he has ever owed it. Ran from his mom (after being a boatswain on a pirate ship for however long which is illegal), ran from his uncle's place, shacked up with a Black Tongue which if he was as good of a Crescian as he puffs himself up to be would be out of the question, and is traveling with an Ald-majority party which is basically heresy. Even if it's the smartest thing to do (he'd be dead otherwise) he's a piss-poor representative of his country's values even with his outbursts of heroism.

he did rescue the plats from Starfish though, that buys him some goodwill from me

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a good crescian wouldnt

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Welp looks like Jivi might have gotten under Sette's skin but it cost him his chance with the girl he was flirting with as well as alienating him from Matty. Turns out there is a thing called 'going too far'! And of course from the last panel Jivi is trying to just dismiss it all like FAKE NEWS ( wait why is that not an emote..? )

And the comic is again going on hiatus- this used to be a fairly consistent webcomic in its updates but these scattered hiatus' this chapter are really throwing off my sense of pacing. But at least we get to check in on Cutter and crew when we come back.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he did rescue the plats from Starfish though, that buys him some goodwill from me
Yeah the thing is I think Jivi is generally a good person, but that doesn't really make him a good Crescian ideal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems to be a running theme of this story that the traits which make one a good person also make them a bad citizen

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

seems to be a running theme of this story that the traits which make one a good person also make them a bad citizen

Rahm is both a (mostly) good person and a good citizen (because the other running theme of this story is that Rahm is The Best)

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Fabricated posted:

He didn't really have a lot of say in being a boatswain because his mom is the captain. It's not like he chose to be a pirate; he was literally born to it, and he's only 14, so expecting a kid to bail at like, age 10 is a little much. We don't know what happened with his uncle, and he didn't run away from his uncle to shack up with the black tongues - he was traveling alone after leaving his uncle's and got abducted by the Red Berry Boys to be a slave. He escaped (getting the poo poo kicked out of him in the process), got Uaid, rescued Quigley and Matty, and ended up at Rahm's because Timofey showed up and explicitly invited them when they had nowhere else to go. He was only at Rahm's for maybe a day or two before the silver eel/Crescian attack on Ethelmik happened and he ended up fleeing with Duane et al.

Like, he's definitely being a jerk to Sette in this scene but I wouldn't call him a coward or a hypocrite. He also tells Quigley that he's known good Alds, and just thinks their government is evil, not the Aldish people (and in this story, it's pretty clear all governments actually are evil). Compared to Duane, Jivi's nationalism is pretty sane.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

Rude but not inaccurate

Trick is I'm more invested in her being the most obnoxious person alive rather than jivi who is being obnoxious without context

oh yeah that is not at all a knock on Sette as an entertaining character it's kind of an established thing that the only two characters willing to put up with her at all are Nary and Duane, and Nary mostly for the purposes of inflicting her on others.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 11, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

He didn't really have a lot of say in being a boatswain because his mom is the captain. It's not like he chose to be a pirate; he was literally born to it, and he's only 14, so expecting a kid to bail at like, age 10 is a little much.

also this is Unsounded, where dying at sea means your soul is literally devoured by the cold cold depths

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder which id prefer, to be dissected into my bad and worse experiences after death or just be trapped inside myself w my own bullshit for eternity

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unsounded's metaphysics are actually pretty hosed honestly, between pymary slowly but surely annihilating matter from the world, davy jones locker being more than a metaphor, and an entire intelligent species that gets neither the benefits of being a senet beast nor being human (thus being wide open to being genocided w nerve gas by one of the "better" governments in the setting)

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 11, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tollymain posted:

unsounded's metaphysics are actually pretty hosed honestly, between pymary slowly but surely annihilating matter from the world, davy jones locker being more than a metaphor, and an entire intelligent species that gets neither the benefits of being a senet beast nor being human (thus being wide open to being genocided w nerve gas by one of the "better" governments in the setting)
Yeah I mean there's a reason one of the two major religions just goes 'all of this is super hosed and not okay, this is the God's crime, and we have a duty to fix it'. Like, in the context of the setting that's pretty reasonable. Too bad the government is still evil, though!

The thing that keeps striking me about the twin sacrifices is that the modern version is a lot more sanitized than what we've seen was a historical version, with one twin's throat getting cut over a bowl while the other watched. But that also doesn't change what's actually happening. Drinking a painless, quick-acting poison after getting treated with utmost respect is a much better way to die, but the death itself is the thing that makes it hosed up. And it's not really a willing sacrifice, because even though you can technically back out (or not give your children up in the first place) we see the result of that with how Iori is talked about, and it's hard to be fully consenting of something when you've been raised in an isolated compound your entire life for the express purpose of doing the thing. Like, there has to be extreme social pressure in place if there's not legal pressure, because otherwise too many people would back out.

And none of that is to say the Gefendur religion is evil, because it's not, I just kind of want to use the thread as a sounding board for the stuff that's hosed up specifically around the twin sacrifice. I honestly think the cannibalism is the least problematic thing about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's interesting to me that Saelit doesn't have any presence outside Alderode.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

It's interesting to me that Saelit doesn't have any presence outside Alderode.

Well, not any major, open presence- IIRC Cope said on her Tumblr that there are Ssaelit communities in the Aldish enclaves in Sharteshane, they just keep their heads down really low. Which brings me to the other reason- Gefendur paladins have a tendency to try to root out 'heresy' including Ssaelts, so without a very strong military backing, or a Constantine-esque leader conversion, there's no reason to believe anyone is going to be adopting it any time soon. Plus its extremely rooted in the Aldish way of life, such as strictly separating genders and marginalizing women.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

He didn't really have a lot of say in being a boatswain because his mom is the captain. It's not like he chose to be a pirate; he was literally born to it, and he's only 14, so expecting a kid to bail at like, age 10 is a little much. We don't know what happened with his uncle, and he didn't run away from his uncle to shack up with the black tongues - he was traveling alone after leaving his uncle's and got abducted by the Red Berry Boys to be a slave. He escaped (getting the poo poo kicked out of him in the process), got Uaid, rescued Quigley and Matty, and ended up at Rahm's because Timofey showed up and explicitly invited them when they had nowhere else to go. He was only at Rahm's for maybe a day or two before the silver eel/Crescian attack on Ethelmik happened and he ended up fleeing with Duane et al.

Like, he's definitely being a jerk to Sette in this scene but I wouldn't call him a coward or a hypocrite. He also tells Quigley that he's known good Alds, and just thinks their government is evil, not the Aldish people (and in this story, it's pretty clear all governments actually are evil). Compared to Duane, Jivi's nationalism is pretty sane.

oh come on, name one crime against humanity the king of sharteshane has committed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh come on, name one crime against humanity the king of sharteshane has committed

mostly he's just committed crimes against pork rinds

but ofc sharteshane itself is a mercantile nation with a puppet government and Beadman is arguably worse than either Cresce or Alderode in terms of his corrosive influence on the state of the continent

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

did you see what he looks like with his shirt off

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Duane's nationalism is a pretty reasonable reaction to significant chunks of the world wanting to wipe your religion from the face of the earth.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

mostly he's just committed crimes against pork rinds

but ofc sharteshane itself is a mercantile nation with a puppet government and Beadman is arguably worse than either Cresce or Alderode in terms of his corrosive influence on the state of the continent

He's a bad dude but he's the kindest and most moral political authority we've seen by far just by virtue of being willing to entertain get-rich schemes that don't involve the murder of millions of random strangers

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 12, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sharteshane is a libertarian paradise

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which is to say its a horrible place for those who dont have the requisite personal qualities and luck (so much goddamn luck) to get ahead

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

Duane's nationalism is a pretty reasonable reaction to significant chunks of the world wanting to wipe your religion from the face of the earth.
The underlying irony of which is his country only tolerates his religion insofar as they need the Ssaelit bloc to bolster their own forces against Cresce. Were Cresce to ever actually fall to Alderode, his people would be back on the chopping block in record time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

so some of my theories about Delicieu* have been torpedoed and my new leading one, which i'm pretty sure is close to correct, is horrifying in new and exciting ways

the procedure being described works, eventually and/or with bonus mutilation, and Prakhuta and/or Bastion ices Delicieu and Prakhuta is either permanently infused with pain-ghosts, driven nutso, or both

it's a differently-horrible bent on a Frankenstein story, and I like it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't see the girls around.

Wonder if they're sealed away inside those fleshy-looking eggs.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

So woowooooh, I want to be just like you
I want to walk like you, talk like you do
You see it's true, a lizard like me
Can learn to be human too, yeah

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

:wtf:
That the lizard was able to ride along inside the pain train, I could understand. But these two are here, and not ripped apart, and sane??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

:wtf:
That the lizard was able to ride along inside the pain train, I could understand. But these two are here, and not ripped apart, and sane??

Ashley Cope in today's comments posted:

My philosophy is we already saw that, so let's do something worse.