Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LPs feel like a mess ergonomically to me. They just don’t feel right at all. My PRS singlecut is better but I don’t know. After getting used to a Strat everything else feels like it was made by an idea man vs someone who played. That’s hilarious for many reasons but yeah.

Can’t beat that 70s big gently caress off chord slamming LP tone though I’ll say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
my favorite LP feature is actually the selector switch on the upper bout. I know it's a giant pain in the rear end when it comes to wiring but when you're playing it falls right to hand and IMO feels a lot better than the Strat/SG/etc. position.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

I love my EC-1000, which is half an inch thinner than a real LP and has a shredder neck on it. So I guess I'm actually an SG man rather than an LP man.
I loved my Eclipses but yeah, they felt more like an SG (which is sorta weird taking into account that ESP has the Viper).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

my favorite LP feature is actually the selector switch on the upper bout. I know it's a giant pain in the rear end when it comes to wiring but when you're playing it falls right to hand and IMO feels a lot better than the Strat/SG/etc. position.

I like the Strat one because I can change it with my pinky while playing. They both work in their own way though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Anime Reference posted:

my favorite LP feature is actually the selector switch on the upper bout.

Gotta agree with this.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
They actually sorta reissued it as the Squier Master Series Esprit back around 2005. I picked one up around 2007 when they were discontinued and blown out for ~$200. Made in Korea, Duncan Design pickups, set neck, body and neck binding, etc. They are wider than a Les Paul, and even though it's chambered mine is still fairly hefty.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen one to play it, but I loved those guitars when they were the Robben Ford signature models. Those are some really gorgeous instruments and they really talk in Robben's hands.

It was the inspiration for the Seymour Duncan JB bridge/Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup combo in my red Ibanez 770DX.

I look for those Robben Ford models on Reverb from time-to-time. They're... dear.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Tool's Maynard James Keenan Accused of Raping a 17-Year-Old Girl in 2000
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tools_maynard_james_keenan_accused_of_raping_a_17-year-old_girl_in_2000.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And not just one, since she said she heard that he did this in every city :stonk: :barf:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hosed up if that’s true, but isn’t that whole “the band wants to meet you but only you and not your boyfriend” thing pretty cliche?

E: I mean, it wouldn’t surprise me if it did happen, but that story seems as old as rock and roll.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

From reading some reviews, this might be considered stupid music poo poo, but what does everyone think about the Fender Bass VI? I recently got to play one of the recent Squier models, and as mainly a bass player who fucks around with a guitar at home, I was really happy playing it and I’m considering picking one up.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I've played a couple and they seem awesome to me, seriously considering as my next instrument. But I would approach it as if it's a separate thing. It's not quite guitar, and not quite a bass.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

empty baggie posted:

From reading some reviews, this might be considered stupid music poo poo, but what does everyone think about the Fender Bass VI? I recently got to play one of the recent Squier models, and as mainly a bass player who fucks around with a guitar at home, I was really happy playing it and I’m considering picking one up.

They’re cool. Awesome for playing anything from gloomy goth poo poo or cool baritone country music. I prefer a standard baritone guitar to those but I’m the opposite, mostly a guitarist.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

While I was playing it, I couldn’t help but think about that band that played “Lump” and “Peaches” (started to type the name of the band out but felt stupid lol). Didn’t they restring a bass with guitar strings and a guitar with bass strings or something like that? Anyway, I thought it was pretty fun to play and had all kinds of ideas, so I guess if I’m not going to approach one as a bass, it would be more of an inspiration piece if anything. I just can’t remember a time that I had that much enjoyment from loving around with either a bass or guitar. Like it was a toy but totally serious at the same time.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

empty baggie posted:

While I was playing it, I couldn’t help but think about that band that played “Lump” and “Peaches” (started to type the name of the band out but felt stupid lol). Didn’t they restring a bass with guitar strings and a guitar with bass strings or something like that? Anyway, I thought it was pretty fun to play and had all kinds of ideas, so I guess if I’m not going to approach one as a bass, it would be more of an inspiration piece if anything. I just can’t remember a time that I had that much enjoyment from loving around with either a bass or guitar. Like it was a toy but totally serious at the same time.

If memory serves, their guitarist played a guitar with three strings (possibly tuned to a power chord?) and the bassist had a bass with one string.

I still kind of want a bass vi even though I can't justify it at all

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hexwren posted:

If memory serves, their guitarist played a guitar with three strings (possibly tuned to a power chord?) and the bassist had a bass with one string.

I still kind of want a bass vi even though I can't justify it at all

Instruments

Ballew and Dederer/McKeag play a basitar and guitbass, which are regular, six-string guitars with special modifications: Ballew's instrument has two bass strings (with which he plays bass parts), and Dederer/McKeag's instrument has three guitar strings (used to play guitar parts). The original idea came from Morphine frontman Mark Sandman, with whom Ballew had previously worked.

Guitars modified in this way use heavy-gauge strings for a heavier sound and are normally tuned in Drop D, though the Presidents play half a step lower in C#. For a basitar, the strings are placed in the D and B positions. Ballew uses a .60 gauge string tuned to C# and a .36 tuned to G#.[citation needed] On a guitbass, the strings are placed in the A, D, and G positions. .54 gauge tuned to C#, .42 to G#, and a .32 gauge tuned to C#.[citation needed]

Finn's drum kit is currently supplied by Slingerland; his cymbals are a variety of "really good" Sabians including two 13" El Sabor splashes as his main "crash" cymbals, 14" Hi hats and a 20" Ride on his left side.

I think it's nice that they got the "really good" Sabians. :3:

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

empty baggie posted:

I've got one, and rather like it. The low E can be a bit fiddly, and you'll want to give it a good set up, obviously. I think it works well as a bass, but I also use it as a guitar quite often. Sounds like heaven through a fuzz. Check out Jet Harris for some good use of the VI. Robert Smith played one for a long time as well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I'm aware that the Bass VI is like a 30 inch scale, but I have this baritone 28.75 scale Agile Guitar. I enjoyed playing it so much, that I actually got some Bass VI strings and tuned it like one, but the other guitar player in the post-rock / doom-ish band said it was too low, so I got a new nut and switched back to the standard Baritone tuning. It's still hella fun to play on lower registers.

Recently I also got this:

An Ormsby multi-scale, 8-string that goes from 25.5 to 28.5. It's stupid, overdone and quite frankly I didn't need it, because...
  • The death metal band has two tunings: E and C.
  • The post-rock band is mostly me on B and the other guitar player in E
  • The covers band mostly necessitates E and Drop-D
... but hot-drat: thumbing, slappin', poppin' and flamenco-ing on it is so goddamn fun. It made me think that maybe I should consider buying a bass to get my funk on more often. And I'm never gonna stop sharing that picture because it's my peak Awesome/Stupid Music poo poo.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

empty baggie posted:

I bought one of the Squier models when they first came out. My main instruments are guitar and bass. It was sort of a novelty in it's standard tuning, so I decided to switch to standard A baritone. It has transformed the way I write. I no longer think in terms of guitar or bass, more of a best of both worlds.

So, yeah. I guess I like mine.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I CAN FINALLY CONTRIBUTE TO THIS THREAD! I have two of the Squier VIs, and have considered trying to track down a Pawn Shop VI or really splurging and getting a EBMM Silhouette Bass Guitar.

I've been playing bass for 18 years, started on five string almost immediately after I picked up the four because the string spacing was more comfortable for my left hand, and got my first short scale bass last January (Fender Mustang). I approached VI therefore from the perspective of a bassist and have been over the moon pleased with mine and what it's done for my playing on four and five string basses. The voicings you'll pick up as a result of noodling really add a lot to your texture if you're playing covers of music thousands of people have played before you, and being able to better access melodic lines in a register you're comfortable with will make you a better guitarist, if you're looking for that.

Don't feel like you're limited to playing Wichita Lineman or stuff by the Cure, either. You're pretty obviously not going to be playing down-tuned prog metal on one probably for reason of looks alone, but if you spend time trying to play it fingerstyle, you'll be surprised by how round the front two pickups can get, especially if you're willing to mess with the tone knob. The only real consideration you might have in trying to fit it into other playing is that the output is way the hell lower than standard P and J pickups, especially compared to short scale basses and the increased lows/low mids that are native to the lower tension.

Some things to consider:
- Buy a staytrem bridge or otherwise find one that's the full inch wide. The intonation on the A string particularly is tough to get with the stock Squier bridge.

- Switch immediately to the La Bella string gauges, either from La Bella or from some other source. The .084 E is too loose relative to the other strings in the stock Fender set. If you're considering the Ibanez SRC6, same deal - it uses the .084 low instead of the original .095. I actually built a custom La Bella set at mostly the same gauges, except they don't offer .095 as a standalone, so my low E is .098. Cool, even better.

- Tied to the previous and expressed by others already, but get/give it a setup immediately. The nut on my first VI was cut like rear end from the factory and once I replaced it, I could play in first position without going 40 cents sharp on F and F#. You'll also need to widen the slots if you switch to the heavier strings. If you're going to use the vibrato, you'll want to shim the neck to get a bit more stability out of the bridge, but if you're considering flatwounds, be advised that the bridge does not want to stay put without the friction from the string windings, so you probably won't want to go too high. It's all a matter of taste anyway.

- If you're going to switch between instruments a lot in a set or during practice, I'd recommend getting higher output pickups. I have a set of the "mid range" VI pickups from Jaime at The Creamery and they're awesome, but you lose some of the serious high twang from the stock set. The lead voiced ones might be more up your alley, but I haven't heard them personally and can only vouch for the comparison between the stock and mid-range. If you're not switching instruments and are otherwise happy with the stock pickups, though, you really shouldn't need to mess with them unless you like messing with stuff.

- Probably turn down your tweeter if you have access to such things.

Please, by all means, buy a bass VI. All of you. So I can get my hands on a wider variety of them, or at least so maybe fender will make another weird one like the Pawn Shop model.

It's me, I'm the stupid music poo poo. I have two Bass VIs, and playing them made me find and buy a 2000 Sub-Sonic so I could do baritone poo poo, too.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
What's the worst pedal you guys have owned? I'm putting my vote in for the Danelectro Fab Flange, it appears to also have a hidden feature of secretly being an overdrive that sounds like a fully dimed tubescreamer whenever on and the regen knob cannot be used above 0 usless you want to alternate between blown speakers and tinnitus. No wonder the person who gave it to me was trying hard not to laugh and wanted no money for it.

It may have some limited use as a dub siren I guess

Edit

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 28, 2018

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The Squier VM VI is more accurate to the original 60's version compared to the Japanese Fender but QA can be iffy. Out of the box they usually come with flash lines on the binding, a lovely nut, the wrong bridge, and a cheap vibrato tailpiece. You can however pick up a full fat Fender Jag import tailpiece, a new bridge from Mastery or Staytrem depending on taste, a new nut, and the flash trims up easy on the binding with a needle file or razor. Still works out cheaper than the Fender version even if you pay a luthier to do everything for you.

If you're going to buy La Bella strings use the custom set builder, it works out a lot cheaper though I have had problems with them sending the wrong scale length E string a few times so the windings stopped before the nut, they used to send out a replacement set no questions asked but the second time it happened they got all huffy and said "You need to specify the correct model and scale length when ordering" Which I did and it even showed up on the confirmation email.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

What's the worst pedal you guys have owned? I'm putting my vote in for the Danelectro Fab Flange, it appears to also have a hidden feature of secretly being an overdrive that sounds like a fully dimed tubescreamer whenever on and the regen knob cannot be used above 0 usless you want to alternate between blown speakers and tinnitus. No wonder the person who gave it to me was trying hard not to laugh and wanted no money for it.

It may have some limited use as a dub siren I guess

Edit

This sounds cool, can I have your one?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I was once told by an electronics repairman that my DOD American Metal was "the worst wounding effects pedal I've ever heard in my life".

He's not far off. The farther you turned the tone knob the treblier / screechier it got.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I had a DOD Hard Rock Distortion. No idea how guitars sounded through it but my bass just sounded like fart noises. I kept playing through it anyway because I was 15 and idolized Cliff Burton and didn't know any better.
I technically still have it, I should get my parents to send it to me.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I used to have the DOD Metal Maniac as my first distortion pedal growing up, and I remember it also being an incredibly rear end-sounding pedal. There's something about old DOD pedals, man.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i had the dod death metal

it ruled

not quite as much as the mxr blue box though

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i had the dod death metal

it ruled

not quite as much as the mxr blue box though

I always wanted the death metal but never got one for some reason. Instead I think I (after the DOD) used a zoom 505 multieffects unit that I got for christmas from my family one year until I finally bought a metal zone

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I had DOD bass grunge until the switch on it stopped working... and I realised how lovely it sounded after we opened for some other band whose bass player also used one. It had a knob labelled "stupid".

One of our guitarists used a Boss DF-1 feedback/distortion, and the other had a BUTT FACE DOD Grunge but moved to a Metal Zone.

So we were pretty much the bad '90s pedal band :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Planet X posted:

I was once told by an electronics repairman that my DOD American Metal was "the worst wounding effects pedal I've ever heard in my life".

He's not far off. The farther you turned the tone knob the treblier / screechier it got.

Wrong. They improved the HM-2. :getin:

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

NonzeroCircle posted:

What's the worst pedal you guys have owned?

Ibanez 7th Heaven pedal. I have never gotten a usable sound out of it. It just sounds bad.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Also that DOD AM pedal - my buddy hated it too. Later on, I still had it around, but the batter cover had snapped off and the battery lead was cut for some reason. I had it as a doorstop and when he saw it, mentioned that that's about all it was good for.

It was all I could afford in 1991. :smith:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

What's the worst pedal you guys have owned?

I have a lovely DOD fuzz that just sounded weak and brittle. I ended up circuit bending it and it actually sounds better now.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Worst pedal I’ve owned is a digitech rp50 followed by a T. rex tonebug auto wah. Donated both to charity.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I bought a Donner Mod Square multi-modulation effect pedal. I returned it the next day. There wasn't a usable effect on it. Even the tremolo somehow sounded like poo poo.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I still unironically love my DOD Deathmetal.
Even if the switch stopped working years ago.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I ordered this out of a catalog in like 1999. It took forever to arrive, sounded like complete garbage, and broke within a year. I don't think I even knew what a wah pedal was supposed to sound like at that point.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Haha, Rogue. Oh man. The company that made late 90's Behringer look boutique.

I remember getting a bunch of Musician's Friend gear magazines/catalogs back then and Rogue was easily king of the cheapest of the cheap. They made just about everything having to do with guitar, and everything they made was horrible.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

I ordered this out of a catalog in like 1999. It took forever to arrive, sounded like complete garbage, and broke within a year. I don't think I even knew what a wah pedal was supposed to sound like at that point.

Innovative design: in/out sockets in the bottom of the pedal :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I remember getting a bunch of Musician's Friend gear magazines/catalogs back then and Rogue was easily king of the cheapest of the cheap. They made just about everything having to do with guitar, and everything they made was horrible.

i have a rogue fretless bass and it rules