Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

hooman posted:

No please tell me actually. How does this help, what technical solution is going to make a nation of 20 million people less reliant on the USA for defence against anyone who might reasonably go to war with us?

How does finding submarines help, how does partnering with india help, what goals does this achieve and are those goals worth billions of dollars?

There are hundreds of answers to your question, but I'm not going to waste my time outlaying different scenarios because if you already think you're smarter than all of the defence planners in our defence force you're far too much of an idiot to convince otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

$8 tax hike is not a hardship, but a $10 tax cut is much needed relief for the battlers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This country is a stupid joke.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gucci bane posted:

There are hundreds of answers to your question, but I'm not going to waste my time outlaying different scenarios because if you already think you're smarter than all of the defence planners in our defence force you're far too much of an idiot to convince otherwise.

Ok cool, don't tell me anything, just jack off into your own mouth about how dumb I am. Don't bother laying out an argument or defending a position, just claim that all the smart people totally agree with you and because they're in these positions they must be right and be totally competent at making these decisions. Experience constantly shows just because people hold these positions doesn't mean they're not just dogmatic idiots I mean I literally posted this a few pages ago.

Would you take as an acceptable defense "Well the RBA predicted wage growth would rise this year and fix the budget deficit therefore there is no structural problem with taxation in Australia"?

Obviously people in these positions made this decision, they wouldn't loving do it if they didn't think it was the right decision, you seem to have knowledge or understanding of how these decisions are made and I've asked you to loving tell me how we defend ourselves, how we don't become totally reliant on the USA if China decided they really wanted our land? I've asked what these things actually do for us? Ok we find Chinese submarines, ok we partner with India, what does that do? All the wars we've been in since I've been old enough to follow this have been following American interventions in the Middle East and peacekeeping/disaster relief operations (the second of which I think is excellent use of military resources).

Yes I'm loving skeptical but I'm literally coming to you saying "I'm ready to listen and change my mind" and you're writing me off without bothering to even present any justification or information on a position you've taken. Like if it's a very complex subject, that you don't have time to write a loving treatise on, fine, refer me to some reading material, but spending billions on loving drones hardly seems like a good ROI for defence posture and needs more than "you're just too dumb to know better :smuggo:".

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Anidav posted:

Pauline would rather 8 dollars go to big city slicker universities than struggling, suicidal regional true blue avocado farmers.

Checkmate boomers.

Less avocados mean less millenials, therefore this is pandering to boomers?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Ok cool, don't tell me anything, just jack off into your own mouth about how dumb I am. Don't bother laying out an argument or defending a position, just claim that all the smart people totally agree with you and because they're in these positions they must be right and be totally competent at making these decisions. Experience constantly shows just because people hold these positions doesn't mean they're not just dogmatic idiots I mean I literally posted this a few pages ago.

Would you take as an acceptable defense "Well the RBA predicted wage growth would rise this year and fix the budget deficit therefore there is no structural problem with taxation in Australia"?

Obviously people in these positions made this decision, they wouldn't loving do it if they didn't think it was the right decision, you seem to have knowledge or understanding of how these decisions are made and I've asked you to loving tell me how we defend ourselves, how we don't become totally reliant on the USA if China decided they really wanted our land? I've asked what these things actually do for us? Ok we find Chinese submarines, ok we partner with India, what does that do? All the wars we've been in since I've been old enough to follow this have been following American interventions in the Middle East and peacekeeping/disaster relief operations (the second of which I think is excellent use of military resources).

Yes I'm loving skeptical but I'm literally coming to you saying "I'm ready to listen and change my mind" and you're writing me off without bothering to even present any justification or information on a position you've taken. Like if it's a very complex subject, that you don't have time to write a loving treatise on, fine, refer me to some reading material, but spending billions on loving drones hardly seems like a good ROI for defence posture and needs more than "you're just too dumb to know better :smuggo:".

nice meltdown

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

norp posted:

I just don't understand how they can look at privatisation and go "that's going to lower prices"

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Because the Libs are the best financial managers. and they said it so it must be true!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TheMightyHandful posted:

Because the Libs are the best financial managers. and they said it so it must be true!

Parliament House needs a giant sign saying "X days since last government bailout) and it needs to be in at least double figures before they're allowed to privatise anything else

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Parliament House needs a giant sign saying "X days since last government bailout) and it needs to be in at least double figures before they're allowed to privatise anything else

sweet, privatise something once every ten days

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Before Times posted:

sweet, privatise something once every ten days

I too remember the Howard years.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Starshark posted:

Hyper inflation is more complicated than just 'printing money'. I don't even understand it even though it was explained to me slowly by an economist student. One of the other problems you need is a lack of productivity. I forget where Weimar went wrong there, but for example in Zimbabwe they gave farms to soldiers who didn't know how to farm so farming productivity went right down.

In the case of Weimar, among other things, the French occupied the ruhr in retaliation for non-payment of reparations. In response, the workers in the occupied area went on general strike and the Weimar government supported them by paying their wages for the duration.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Sorry man, I didn't think you were being serious about wanting to learn about this stuff. I did respond to your post about economics saying that yes economists suck and it's because of perverse incentives.

I agree that there can be problems with defence acquisitions in a similar fashion. Like for example, we are paying a 200% premium minimum to build ships here. That industry will never be profitable and we taking on ridiculous amounts of risk that will likely to result in huge project delays and cost blowouts.

However, you were attacking a pretty fundamental idea with heaps of questions that demonstrated a lack of knowledge so I didn't want to respond because you qualified your language and I thought the discussion would spiral into 'well what about x' forever.

Just in regards to India, it is a hedge against US withdrawal from Asia. China doesn't want our land, but they may want to control SLOCs. China has the SCS, India the Andaman Islands. This locks up the Malacca Strait. With these drones, we can know about other possible threats approaching the Indian Ocean through alternate routes. This makes Australia useful to India independent of the US and could result in Australia returning to the Malabar exercises next year. If the US were to have another 3 Trumps, that Indian relationship could be extremely important to Australia. Especially as by 2030 it is predicted that the US and India will be the same size in GDP... and China will be double that size.

I'd recommend reading Australia's management of strategic risk in the new era by Paul Dibb to get a hold on what the DoD officials believe the various situations are that could justify our deployment of defence assets. Maybe read a couple of reports by Lowy and the ANU Strategic & Defence Studies Centre.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Weird how days after the tax cuts pass both Fairfax and News run stories about Labor MPs being targeted by Chinese spies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

gucci bane posted:

Sorry man, I didn't think you were being serious about wanting to learn about this stuff. I did respond to your post about economics saying that yes economists suck and it's because of perverse incentives.

I agree that there can be problems with defence acquisitions in a similar fashion. Like for example, we are paying a 200% premium minimum to build ships here. That industry will never be profitable and we taking on ridiculous amounts of risk that will likely to result in huge project delays and cost blowouts.

However, you were attacking a pretty fundamental idea with heaps of questions that demonstrated a lack of knowledge so I didn't want to respond because you qualified your language and I thought the discussion would spiral into 'well what about x' forever.

Just in regards to India, it is a hedge against US withdrawal from Asia. China doesn't want our land, but they may want to control SLOCs. China has the SCS, India the Andaman Islands. This locks up the Malacca Strait. With these drones, we can know about other possible threats approaching the Indian Ocean through alternate routes. This makes Australia useful to India independent of the US and could result in Australia returning to the Malabar exercises next year. If the US were to have another 3 Trumps, that Indian relationship could be extremely important to Australia. Especially as by 2030 it is predicted that the US and India will be the same size in GDP... and China will be double that size.

I'd recommend reading Australia's management of strategic risk in the new era by Paul Dibb to get a hold on what the DoD officials believe the various situations are that could justify our deployment of defence assets. Maybe read a couple of reports by Lowy and the ANU Strategic & Defence Studies Centre.

Thanks a lot for the response, that partnership with India makes sense, I'll have a read of those reports.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Courier Mail is teasing a shocking Reachtel Longman poll to be released tonight at 9pm.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sky News currently has a ticker headline that reads "Albo's moment"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's on?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
nineteen days without weed and i've decided i have to kill malcolm turnbull before he kills me

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

It's on?

Doubt it. Avs has a better chance of scoring sweet leaf tonight

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

Reachtel

Doesn't count

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Reachtel only calls people with rotary phones.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Whitlam posted:

I don't know anything about this person so you could be right, but doctors dismissing and ignoring women's pain (especially Indigenous women) is actually a huge issue.

As I say, I've never heard of this person before in my life so her story might be bullshit, but I know many stories like this, and they're depressingly more common than you might expect.

quote:

But I wish the process of engaging with the public health system wasn’t adversarial in a way that endangers patients. Nurses are pitted against patients in a race for time and process completion. The judgements being made about patients are based less on clinical observations than biases.
One random person tweeted at me: “If you’re well enough to tweet, you’re well enough to stand up.” This is simply not the case. I also refuse to cease being engaged in self-advocacy – and also the quest to enjoy my life, no matter how ill I am. I shouldn’t need to be broken in every way possible to “deserve” treatment.
One doctor at another hospital tweeted at me that I’d “Twitter shamed over worked, under resourced staff and now they’re going to get ripped to bits by management.” Maybe he was right – clearly how I’d been treated was something worth being ashamed about. But his lack of compassion was stunning. He’d picked a side, and he was clearly on the side of staff, not the patient left lying on the floor for nearly two hours.
I’d never named the staff or the hospital.
We shouldn’t have to pick sides between patients and staff well-being.
Patients should get timely, best practice care. Medical staff should have their rights at work respected.
Dehumanising patients, deprioritizing patients, inflicting medical bias on patients — all of this leads to outcomes that increase the wait time on diagnosis and create poor patient prognosis.
Bureaucracies that reduce their patients or medical staff to demands of process completion in wholly unachievable time frames ultimately dehumanises both staff and patients.
The point of writing this is not to rip nurses to pieces. They’re under inhumane strain. They’re being made to chose between their own livelihood and the well-being of their patients. And that’s coming at a cost to both their patients and their own well-being in the workplace.
I expect the unions to fight for better conditions for nurses and medical staff. They deserve and desperately need better rights at work. And I’m happy to support their union’s efforts.
Meanwhile, I’m still seeking diagnosis. I’m still in pain. So I’ll keep advocating for myself, writing about the experience — and complaining until I get better care.
Here’s to hopefully getting a diagnosis in the next few months — not in a decade or so.

She seems pretty decent imo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Reachtel only calls people with rotary phones.

LONGMAN voters – particularly young people – believe Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has a better plan for Queensland than Opposition leader Bill Shorten, according to exclusive polling.

Couriermail.com.au is this evening publishing key poll data for Longman – including surprise two-party preferred results for the key by-election seat.

ReachTEL polling, of 814 Longman residents on June 26, showed that 58.7 per cent of voters thought Mr Turnbull had the best plan for Queensland, compared to 41.3 per cent who backed the Labor leader.

But it was 18 to 34 year olds who were the PM’s biggest supporters, with 71.7 per cent backing in the LNP leader.

Mr Shorten’s strongest support came from the 51 to 65 year old age bracket, where he had the support of 48.8 per cent of voters.

The Opposition leader has consistently trailed the Prime Minister in preferred leader polling conducted by Newspoll, despite Labor remaining ahead in the polls 52-48.

Longman polling results for company tax were published at 5pm, with the two-party preferred outcome to be revealed at couriermail.com.au at 9pm, and full details and comprehensive coverage in tomorrow’s Courier-Mail

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Before Times posted:

And characterising it as histrionic (which by the way is up there with 'hysterical' in terms of gendered use of words to describe emotions) is a bit much.

I characterised her past behaviour as histrionic, as "melodramatic behaviour designed to attract attention" best describes it, not the current article. The current article might be accurate, but with her history I don't trust it to not be grossly exaggerated, and full of quotations that are at the very least misremembered.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Anidav posted:

LONGMAN voters – particularly young people – believe Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has a better plan for Queensland than Opposition leader Bill Shorten, according to exclusive polling.

Couriermail.com.au is this evening publishing key poll data for Longman – including surprise two-party preferred results for the key by-election seat.

ReachTEL polling, of 814 Longman residents on June 26, showed that 58.7 per cent of voters thought Mr Turnbull had the best plan for Queensland, compared to 41.3 per cent who backed the Labor leader.

But it was 18 to 34 year olds who were the PM’s biggest supporters, with 71.7 per cent backing in the LNP leader.

Mr Shorten’s strongest support came from the 51 to 65 year old age bracket, where he had the support of 48.8 per cent of voters.

The Opposition leader has consistently trailed the Prime Minister in preferred leader polling conducted by Newspoll, despite Labor remaining ahead in the polls 52-48.

Longman polling results for company tax were published at 5pm, with the two-party preferred outcome to be revealed at couriermail.com.au at 9pm, and full details and comprehensive coverage in tomorrow’s Courier-Mail

What was the question?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Anidav posted:

kill all Australians

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

I characterised her past behaviour as histrionic, as "melodramatic behaviour designed to attract attention" best describes it, not the current article. The current article might be accurate, but with her history I don't trust it to not be grossly exaggerated, and full of quotations that are at the very least misremembered.

#notallmen #butimaniceguy

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
an article popped up on my phone the other day that was like "according to a survey of all australians, education, rental affordability, the environment, and humane treatment of refugees ranked lowest on the list of priorities. the highest priorities included better public hospitals, less foreign ownership, and better quality aged care". it's like yes, that sounds like you really surveyed a big range of demographics there, good job you loving idiots

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't release the specific wording of a question you asked on a survey - either a real survey or an imaginary Reachtel one - then it's because the questions were leading and you don't want people to see them.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The one person under 34 they called was Caleb

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
In 2009 I was living on the Gold Coast earning about $55k/year, I was able to afford luxuries, nice headphones, nice food. By 2011 I was earning roughly the same money, but now I had a loan to repay every month, every energy bill was a surprise and I didn't have any money left over at the end of the month. In 2013 I quit my job left the country.

I'm back now, and things seem to have only gotten worse. I'm absolutely certain that I wouldn't be able to pay HECS debt living of $55k and definitely not in the more expensive parts of the country, you know, the places with jobs.

When will they stop screwing us from every loving angle?

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
for some reason my phone news app only gives me the poo poo right-wing sources. daily telegraph, nine news, daily mail (since when does the loving daily mail operate in australia? i hate it) and assorted local papers from bumfuck towns i've never visited. on one hand it sucks rear end, but on the other hand i value getting an idea of what people in the conservative bubble think is "news". the plastic bag thing is such a big loving deal to the boomers, it is hilarious

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ewe2 posted:

#notallmen #butimaniceguy

Criticism of a person's professionalism based on a history of a lack of professionalism is valid. Get over it.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
if i see a headline that's some ridiculously minor crime that shouldn't even be newsworthy, like someone's keyed a car or pissed on an atm, 100% of the time there's a photo of the perpetrator and they're a scary brown

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Measly Twerp posted:

In 2009 I was living on the Gold Coast earning about $55k/year, I was able to afford luxuries, nice headphones, nice food. By 2011 I was earning roughly the same money, but now I had a loan to repay every month, every energy bill was a surprise and I didn't have any money left over at the end of the month. In 2013 I quit my job left the country.

I'm back now, and things seem to have only gotten worse. I'm absolutely certain that I wouldn't be able to pay HECS debt living of $55k and definitely not in the more expensive parts of the country, you know, the places with jobs.

Boomers dying off and/or violent uprising of the people

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

this broken hill posted:

if i see a headline that's some ridiculously minor crime that shouldn't even be newsworthy, like someone's keyed a car or pissed on an atm, 100% of the time there's a photo of the perpetrator and they're a scary brown
meanwhile the old white guy who murdered his wife, his daughter and her four autistic children was a great man, a really top bloke, he just had a bit of a rough trot is all

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

Measly Twerp posted:

lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Measly Twerp posted:

I salute you, brother goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
We moved from Tas to Melb' about 2 years back and by then there were no plastic bags in Tas for a while. I'm getting to relive the massive amount of pointless and pathetic sooking about it at work daily and I'm loving it. Like gently caress me is it realy that hard to leave a few reuseable bags in the boot of the car you never loving leave home without?