Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the worst examples of tv shows that completely ran out of juice in their final seasons?

imho Dexter was completely running on fumes by season 8, like it was actually exhausting to watch and to this day i still haven't finished that season even though i hear it's the kind of tv that's so bad you gotta see it at least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Drew Carey Show was also intentionally trying to get itself canceled if I recall correctly

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Samuringa posted:

I remember loving one when I watched, but it did not age well because technology moved forwards: Michael is ambushed in a house and he has no way of fighting it out, so he has to look for an escape route that no one would think of guarding; he kicks out an AC and crawls out of the hole. People guard doors and windows but no one guards an AC. But now the ones we use are all Split so he'd be hosed nowadays...

I've literally never seen nor heard of a Split until this post. Maybe they're more common in warmer places, up here I just see the regular old air conditioners that take up a window.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Season 9 of roseanne

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

hard counter posted:

imho Dexter was completely running on fumes by season 8, like it was actually exhausting to watch and to this day i still haven't finished that season even though i hear it's the kind of tv that's so bad you gotta see it at least once

Dexter is impressive in how great that show started and how far it fell by the time it ended.

The final episode was duuuummmmmbbbbbb.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is also the entire run of Xiaolin Chronicles. I liked the original series, then Chronicles came out years later and was terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GrandpaPants posted:

Person of Interest's myth episodes were good
Wrong. That story made no sense and destroyed the whole dynamic of the show. Recurring characters like Veronica Mars's dad and Amy Acker were good because they provided a bit of continuity, but the evil AI just took over the entire show.

duck trucker posted:

Dexter is impressive in how great that show started and how far it fell by the time it ended.
Dexter had probably three season's I'd recommend and then it starts slipping. Season six is the absolute last one anyone should watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d say maybe season 5 if you want to be nice. Season 6 sucked because they just did the Julia Stiles plot again but worse.

Tbh stop at season 4. That ending and season was incredible. Everything else after that is pretty weak. Well, maybe except “sorry for your loss”.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Gilligan's island got weird at the end, though the actors were their normal wooden selves.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Fringe got bad in the last season. You could argue it was bad after the 3rd or so, but I enjoyed it right up to Nimoy's death even though the season leading up to *that* wasnt the greatest.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

FreudianSlippers posted:

The show just got worse in general as soon as Rory graduated high school.

To be honest, every show centred around high school students turns pretty crap as soon as they graduate. I don’t think any shows have managed to find a way to write around it, since sending all the characters to the same college is kind of unrealistic. Just end all teen dramas at season 3 or whatever.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The only show that came to mind that I watched was Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Yep, theory checks out

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Could you remind me what happened? I don't want to open that box with my wife around...

It's after Rory and Lorelai reunite (after she went and stole a boat with Logan and was arrested) And then... They lean hard into Logan and his lovely friends, introduce Luke's daughter,who was actually fine as a character, but was used to create conflict between Luke and Lorelai, and the season ended with Lorelai sleeping with Chris.

Rory is pretty much the worst person in the world, and I hate Logan and his horrible friends (who are all the worst parts of the netflix movies). Like the story arc where she steals a boat and stops talking to Lorelai is actually pretty great, but undermined by the fact she doesn't learn her lesson and keeps being a privileged gently caress who just keeps seeing Logan and his lovely friends, who are the absolute worst people.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I’d say maybe season 5 if you want to be nice. Season 6 sucked because they just did the Julia Stiles plot again but worse.

Tbh stop at season 4. That ending and season was incredible. Everything else after that is pretty weak. Well, maybe except “sorry for your loss”.

Julia Stiles season wasn't bad. It was no season 4, but compared to what came after...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

To be honest, every show centred around high school students turns pretty crap as soon as they graduate. I don’t think any shows have managed to find a way to write around it, since sending all the characters to the same college is kind of unrealistic. Just end all teen dramas at season 3 or whatever.
I often think that any show that wants to go for more than three or four seasons needs to start replacing the cast Law & Order style. Otherwise the characters either become boring because we know them too well or become caricatures of who they used to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dixville posted:

Yep, theory checks out

I do like the idea of a guy who is constantly having magic poo poo cast on him for wacky shenanigans Jimmy Olsen style eventually becomes immune to it and gets the hell away from the literal crazy witch.

Oddly enough I mostly know Sabrina from the cartoon, which had Norbert from The Angry Beavers voicing Salem. And Sabrina was pretty poo poo at magic so she generally had a genie do her ill-advised spells for her. And instead of Libby they had an absurdly rich girl called Gem Stone for some reason attending the same public school and lusting after Harvey who was a huge weirdo. That show was weird.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SEX BURRITO posted:

Friday Night Lights solved this by bringing in a new cast including Michael B Jordan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Daria's come up a lot in this thread for ageing scarily well in many ways. And weirdly enough for a 90s show there's even a plot point about Jane basically being a streamer back before streaming had a name. (though I think various odd camera sites were a very early internet thing, I remember some parody cartoons about them) Also the one where a private military contractor recruiting in the high school was rightly seen as morally abhorrent (hard to imagine that kinda thing after Iraq, though now they just have the real military) and Daria writes satirical ultra-violent right-wing fiction.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Daria's come up a lot in this thread for ageing scarily well in many ways. And weirdly enough for a 90s show there's even a plot point about Jane basically being a streamer back before streaming had a name. (though I think various odd camera sites were a very early internet thing, I remember some parody cartoons about them) Also the one where a private military contractor recruiting in the high school was rightly seen as morally abhorrent (hard to imagine that kinda thing after Iraq, though now they just have the real military) and Daria writes satirical ultra-violent right-wing fiction.

MTV is actually looking at reviving Daria. Biggest stumbling block is that Daria’s voice actress left the industry entirely. Not getting her back would be trash.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aubrey Plaza is available

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oddly enough I mostly know Sabrina from the cartoon, which had Norbert from The Angry Beavers voicing Salem.

This was also the case in the live-action show. Nick Bakay is great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

MTV is actually looking at reviving Daria. Biggest stumbling block is that Daria’s voice actress left the industry entirely. Not getting her back would be trash.

She's done a lot of interviews about the show in the last few years. Wouldn't be surprised if she was up for returning.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm really surprised people say the leads of Castle hated each other. I haven''t watched the last couple of seasons but they always seemed to have great chemistry. I also really loved the show as a background noise sort of thing - Nathan Fillion just does it for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

My high school guidance counselor had them come in and give us the ASVAB in 11th grade because 90% of the things he had to say we're "GO MILITARY"

I got yelled at by an MP for pulling out homework after I finished a section rather than sit and stare at a finished test

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Calaveron posted:

The Drew Carey Show was also intentionally trying to get itself canceled if I recall correctly

I'll catch the occasional episodes on Laff, and that last season or so is really bizarre. Winford Louder becomes a tech start up run by Kaitlin Olson. Also where Christina Miller moved over to Scrubs, so they replaced her with Cynthia Waitross who's a stripper/waitress at the Warsaw and immediately marries Drew.

SEX BURRITO posted:

BRB, I'm going to write a Buffy knockoff where Melissa the Ghost Puncher goes off to college and the only other carry over characters are tertiary from the first 3 seasons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was that when they introduced the monkeypotamus?

Actually, between Family Matters, The Drew Carey Show and The Ferals, live-action comedies in the 90s were pretty casual about mad science.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Jun 27, 2018

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

Buffy worked well enough. It helped that only two of the early season cast ended up as college students.

e: now I think about it were they only in college for the season with Adam? Did they both drop out?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually, between Family Matters, The Drew Carey Show and The Ferals, live-action comedies in the 90s were pretty casual about mad science.

Lets not forget that mad science was the entire premise of Sliders. It probably stems from the fact that the myth of being able to invent some revolutionary device in your garage was still alive and well in the 90's.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dixville posted:

Yep, theory checks out

Didn't Sabrina reveal that she was a witch to Harvey and her best friend earlier on though? Wasn't that season 2/3?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Buffy worked well enough. It helped that only two of the early season cast ended up as college students.

e: now I think about it were they only in college for the season with Adam? Did they both drop out?

Season five they might both still have been students? But I remember season six was the one where Buffy had to get a job because she needed money to live and I'm pretty sure she wasn't at uni then. I think Willow still was though? She probably didn't finish her degree though because I assume she stopped going to class when she turned evil.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was that when they introduced the monkeypotamus?

How does The Ferals hold up now? I haven't seen it since it aired on TV originally and I've been meaning to watch it, but I have no recollection of its actual quality at all.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd buy that, in Burn Notice, Michael wasn't killing because of a combination of his mom's influence, not wanting to draw unwanted attention, and getting burned being a sort of psychological wake up call, sort of like, "Remember when you were a big shot CIA agent? That poo poo is over! Welcome to the real world!"

It was because the network wanted him to be more relatable after him cold blooded murder two unconscious men in a foreign restroom didn't test well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I didn't watch much Burn Notice and now I'm substituting Archer.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mu Zeta posted:

Friday Night Lights solved this by bringing in a new cast including Michael B Jordan.

I think Friday Night Lights had it a little easier because they had plenty of good adult characters that you were invested in. So you're happy to then see new younger characters being introduced. I was glad they didn't go the route of 'we've all given up on going to Harvard/exciting new city and decided to go to a college that happens to be down the road!'

Daria could work as a reboot. Apparently it's going to be Daria and Jodie as the main characters.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I didn't watch much Burn Notice and now I'm substituting Archer.

You're actually not too far off. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some cross-pollination between the two, especially once Burn Notice started getting back into official spy poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nuclear War posted:

I'm really surprised people say the leads of Castle hated each other. I haven''t watched the last couple of seasons but they always seemed to have great chemistry. I also really loved the show as a background noise sort of thing - Nathan Fillion just does it for me.

I don't really know whether the two leads liked one another or not, but isn't that how it works out though? Like you get two actors who are dating one another and they're cold fish on screen. Find a couple who can't stand the sight of the other and somehow it's more realistic. Nobody wants Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy on the screen all the time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

Didn't Sabrina reveal that she was a witch to Harvey and her best friend earlier on though? Wasn't that season 2/3?

Sabrina revealing she was a witch or Harvey finding out seemed to be the plot of about half the episodes from what little I can remember.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The last season of Scrubs was really just "we do something because we were told to report back to the studio", the second-to-last season even ended with a perfectly acceptable series ender for a comedy series.

Although on their defense, they did try to change the name to "Scrubs: pre-meds" or something similar but were idiotically overruled by the network. Over half of the actors had left, and IIRC, even the original sets were dismantled but no, "make another season, no explanation on why everything is different or who these new people are". They literally had a 5-min intro in their first episode to skip forward a couple of years to explain the changes.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

CelticPredator posted:

Season 6 had thatdumb amazing mural with Michael C. Hall depicted as a demon.

Season 7 had a villian that had a lot of potential. The mafia guy. But it was all wasted.

I remember being really confused when I started watching season 4 until I realized I had mixed up John Lithgow and Jon Lovits names.

Lithgow knocks it out of the park but I was really really interested in the idea of Lovits playing a serial killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Everyone always says Dexter started off great and got bad at the end but the very first season is all about Damaged-But-Still-Super-Cool serial killer Dexter fighting his long lost evil twin, it's like an edgy middle schooler's creative writing assignment.

"THEY WERE TRAPPED IN THERE WITH ALL THE BLOOD FOR DAYS!!!!"