Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

That's in line with what I've been hearing, but on the other hand I streamed Planet Earth II yesterday and it definitely was a much higher resolution than 1080p.

There's some 4k movies that are free on Prime so I'll test one out when I get home from work.

There is a very noticeable difference between the 4k Netflix versions of Planet Earth 2 and the UHD blu rays, and I tested with a gigabit fiber connection so bandwidth wasn't an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I haven't seen Covenant, so it's fun to think of all the possibilities. Like someone jumping into an escape pod backwards and mistaking a xenomorph's hands for a seat belt. Or the movie ends when we learn from a news report that the xenomorph locked himself in a car and then ate himself to death.

ok if you want the rug pulled out from under you, the scene in covenant involves the alien finding a giant comb

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

4k isn't just a resolution bump, it's also a color depth bump. Yeah, could be higher resolution, but not HDR,.

Oh, for sure that's the most noticeable aspect of the UHD blu ray's I've bought so far. I picked up The Matrix yesterday and the color depth upgrade there is really something. It's a nicer looking film, action scenes aside, than the previous releases were showing because of the weird color grading.

Anyway, a nice resolution bump is still probably reason enough to stream in 4k as opposed to 1080p, at least with certain releases.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I haven't seen Covenant, so it's fun to think of all the possibilities. Like someone jumping into an escape pod backwards and mistaking a xenomorph's hands for a seat belt. Or the movie ends when we learn from a news report that the xenomorph locked himself in a car and then ate himself to death.

I could definitely see a Xenomorph eating/loving itself to death

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Enos Cabell posted:

There is a very noticeable difference between the 4k Netflix versions of Planet Earth 2 and the UHD blu rays, and I tested with a gigabit fiber connection so bandwidth wasn't an issue.

The bandwidth coming from netflix onto your ISP's network is probably more limiting than your connection.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can check it with fast.com . It's powered by netflix and checks to see whether or not your ISP throttles netflix specifically (most do).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You can check it with fast.com . It's powered by netflix and checks to see whether or not your ISP throttles netflix specifically (most do).

I've since dropped down to the cheaper 300Mb tier, but just checked via fast.com and it's seeing the full 300Mb so I'm good there.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Is there a Hulu equivalent of that? Mine runs like complete rear end.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Watching the second season of terrace house. I am scared of and attracted to Natsumi. Wouldn’t be surprised if she kills someone over dirty dishes though.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheManWithNoName posted:

Watching the second season of terrace house. I am scared of and attracted to Natsumi. Wouldn’t be surprised if she kills someone over dirty dishes though.

You are around the time my favorite Terrace House member ever, Hansan, shows up.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Netflix added Ken Burns The Vietnam War. It's very good. I have a grandfather who deployed there twice with severe PTSD from it so it hit me a little harder than I thought but I'm glad I checked it out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

david_a posted:

From what I’ve heard, only Apple is streaming 4K in any reasonable quality. Amazon and Netflix do support HDR but not all of their 4K content is HDR. I’ve heard that Netflix (for instance) dedicated less bandwidth than a normal Blu-Ray for a 4K stream.

I've been really disappointed with Netflix's 4K streaming. Resolution doesn't count for much if you can still see compression artifacts all over the place.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Finally got around to Death Note.

T'was dope. Easily the best Death Note movie.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Netflix added Ken Burns The Vietnam War. It's very good. I have a grandfather who deployed there twice with severe PTSD from it so it hit me a little harder than I thought but I'm glad I checked it out.

I started watching this last night, and it is extremely good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Finally got around to Death Note.

T'was dope. Easily the best Death Note movie.

The only one as I'm concerned.

It's a terrible movie, but also great. Willem Dafoe was a loving masterstroke that made the film for me. I could watch a movie consisting of nothing but him threatening people over the phone and be happy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The only one as I'm concerned.

It's a terrible movie, but also great. Willem Dafoe was a loving masterstroke that made the film for me. I could watch a movie consisting of nothing but him threatening people over the phone and be happy.

As with most of Wingard's films, it's a work of tremendous technical accomplishment. I think the primary thing that might marginalize it for folks is that it's taking an already very trashy source and paring it down significantly. The primary difference between Wingard's vision and previous adaptations of Death Note is that there's no longer any of this stuff about Light being this lucidly megalomaniacal figure, or, like, hacking into the C.I.A. and poo poo. He's good at calculus, otherwise he's just kind of a misanthropic punk teenager. One of the best gags is in the opening where he tries to get the bully to back off by saying technically it would be child abuse because he was held back. And what Light thinks will fix the world really, in the context of American education and honor culture, really doesn't require him to be characterized as uniquely as his Japanese counterpart. Lots of teenagers here just want to see "bullies" get shot in the face, and it's remarkably easy for them to do just that.

There's some nods to the idea of Light becoming a despotic god-figure to some people, but there's much less preoccupation with this in Wingard's film. If anything, he fast-forwards over it to just create an even more straightforward narrative of, like, "What if Spider-Man, but not with a happy ending?"

As far as previous adaptations, Light Up the New World is actually pretty decent.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mr. Toodles posted:

I've been watching the new season of Luke Cage with closed captioning on, and they change the dialogue of the Jamaican characters to reflect an American syntax, for lack of a better term. They do slip in some, what I assume is, Patois, but its easy enough to know what they are saying in context. It's really weird to see and hear.

I watch just about everything with CC on (I might need to get my hearing checked :v:), and I’ve noticed that more and more. I think it’s bizarre on things, like when a character says ‘gently caress’ and CC says ‘censored’ or fu—. Also on foreign shows, like if a character says ‘leftenant’ CC puts lieutenant.

Unmature posted:

Alien: Covenant was the worst experience in a theater I had last year

It committed the greatest movie sin of all: it was boring.

But then again, how much new stuff can you add to an Alien franchise movie by this point?

Alien picks off people one-by-one, oh no acid-blood! Something... in... my...chest?! The threat is over, let’s relax... oh my God no it’s not?!?!?! Okay, now it really is... oh my God, it isn’t again!

I guess some people really dug the Walter/David interactions, but it didn’t land for me. I also feel like they were going somewhere with Oram’s ultra-religious background and why he was kinda looked down upon by Weyland-Yutani, but then it just died part-way through and he decided to become King of Dumbass Mountain.

Oram: Okay David, you’re clearly evil and in league with these things bursting out of people. Also, I faced down the devil as a child, and you remind me of it!
David: Sure, okay... wanna see some cool-lookin’ alien eggs?
Oram: ...yes.
David: Great, okay. Look real close now, reeeeeeeal close.
Oram: You got it chief!

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 27, 2018

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

I really like Ozark on Netflix. I dont hear much about it but its really good. Jason Bateman at his best.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The first episode was the best, but I liked Ozark overall. It's like Breaking Bad but with less dumb decisions, and I love BB.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll put on CC because it's Summer and I have to have fans constantly blowing in my face and it drowns out the volume of the TV.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use CC all the time even though I wear bluetooth noise canceling headphones because of fan noise and studio apartments with loud neighbors/don't want to bother the neighbors. Subtitles are awesome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also on foreign shows, like if a character says ‘leftenant’ CC puts lieutenant.

It's just a different pronunciation, not a different spelling.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lycus posted:

It's just a different pronunciation, not a different spelling.

I never knew that. I always assumed it was a European thing, like arugula vs rocket. Huh.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There should be a rule about Netflix having later movies in a series without the previous parts. I can't watch Before Midnight without seeing Before Sunset.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Last Jedi is on Netflix although seemingly not showing up unless you search for it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Y'all are ALL high af Prometheus and Covenant were goddamn amazing movies.

That said, I'm apparently the only person who also thinks Alien 3 > Aliens.

It is true - any Alien movie must include the key components: chest bursters, eggs, an android who is a scientist (except for A4 but that was an abortion of a movie), strong female lead, and a very moist space ship.

So - each of these movies is really just an episode of an ongoing cop show pretty much. Your hands are tied with a lot of the big parts, so you've got to push a story in there somewhere some how. Prometheus took the "where did they come from?" angle, introducing the big rear end white guys, (overlords? benefactors? poo poo if I know) and then Covenant introduced the "how come there's so many different types?" angle.

I know people hated Prom and Cove, but they're just so drat beautiful. Aliens jumped the shark on the atmosphere, going for comic book action movie looks. I get it, I understand why people love that one, I mean I still love it too, but it lost all the haunted house creepiness and the HR Giger style, in favor of 1980's Batman movie atmosphere.

Jesus I need my coffee.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sand Monster posted:

The Last Jedi is on Netflix although seemingly not showing up unless you search for it.

I didn't see the Force Awakens, do I need to watch it first?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You could follow along without seeing TFA beforehand, but that seems like a strange thing to do. Would you watch Empire Strikes Back without seeing A New Hope first?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You could follow along without seeing TFA beforehand, but that seems like a strange thing to do. Would you watch Empire Strikes Back without seeing A New Hope first?

Eh, it's more the fact that I'm semi-burnt out on Star Wars and don't really want to go out of my way to watch one :shrug:

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't see the Force Awakens, do I need to watch it first?

dont watch either of them ever

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

magnificent7 posted:

Nah, I'm there with ya, too.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, it's more the fact that I'm semi-burnt out on Star Wars and don't really want to go out of my way to watch one :shrug:

The Last Jedi is the first star wars movie I didn't finish watching. It has it all - jedis, a light saber, some humor, some chases, space ships - but it really felt like a clusterfuck of every bright moment from every previous SW movie, and a LOT of horrible poo poo. I THINK they're trying for a "Empire Strikes Back" feel, where our heroes are in different corners of the galaxy facing a variety of challenges, and the main hero is on a quest to learn stuff from a bitter old fart, but it's just too much going on from too many sources. Kind of like a Prodigy song.

I can sum it up for you in one sentence:
Leia can fly in space even when she's dead.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean, if you're burnt out then why bother? But if you're interested and have a few hours the worst thing that happens is that you turn it on and get bored and turn it off, you already paid for the netflix account so you're not really risking much except a little time. There's some cool stuff in there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

magnificent7 posted:

Lot's of (wrong) people think that. The real hot take is that A4 > A3, which is a true fact.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Lot's of (wrong) people think that. The real hot take is that A4 > A3, which is a true fact.

I like you, you have good opinions.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Enos Cabell posted:

DID I WAKE UP IN THE WRONG MULTIVERSE WHAT THE HELL

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

magnificent7 posted:

DID I WAKE UP IN THE WRONG MULTIVERSE WHAT THE HELL

Well, Donald Trump is the president

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, Donald Trump is the president

Marty never burned the almanac.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I also feel like they were going somewhere with Oram’s ultra-religious background and why he was kinda looked down upon by Weyland-Yutani, but then it just died part-way through and he decided to become King of Dumbass Mountain.

Oram: Okay David, you’re clearly evil and in league with these things bursting out of people. Also, I faced down the devil as a child, and you remind me of it!
David: Sure, okay... wanna see some cool-lookin’ alien eggs?
Oram: ...yes.
David: Great, okay. Look real close now, reeeeeeeal close.
Oram: You got it chief!

They did go somewhere with it: the resolution you're complaining about. Oram's mission statement was "simply trying to navigate the path as it unfolds before us." It is entirely appropriate that a guy who built his life on the blind faith that god would lead him where he needed to be would, in a hostile universe, be led to his own destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Faith is not rewarded in these films. It seemed like it was kinda in Prometheus, but then we saw where Shaw's faith led her in Covenant and I think most people would probably rather just get squished by a spaceship like Vickers was.