Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:rip: unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Much ado as Abood becomes nothing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Janus plus Masterpiece basically means we're in a new Lochner era, where the Supreme Court is weaponizing nonsensical constitutional interpretations - now, the First Amendment (but only for conservative speech and conservative christians) to block liberal legislation on the flimsiest of pretexts. There's not really any solution but court-packing anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

Janus plus Masterpiece basically means we're in a new Lochner era, where the Supreme Court is weaponizing nonsensical constitutional interpretations - now, the First Amendment (but only for conservative speech and conservative christians) to block liberal legislation on the flimsiest of pretexts. There's not really any solution but court-packing anymore.

Sotomayor's one paragraph dissent echos your exact sentiments.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sotomayor's one paragraph dissent echos your exact sentiments.

Justice Sotomayor, dissenting posted:

I join JUSTICE KAGAN’s dissent in full. Although I joined the majority in Sorrell v. IMS Health Inc., 564 U. S. 552 (2011), I disagree with the way that this Court has since interpreted and applied that opinion. See, e.g., National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra, ante, p. ___. Having seen the troubling development in First Amendment jurisprudence over the years, both in this Court and in lower courts, I agree fully with JUSTICE KAGAN that Sorrell—in the way it has been read by this Court—has allowed courts to “wiel[d] the First Amendment in . . . an aggressive way” just as the majority does today. Post, at 27.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So does this mean that cops can all stop paying dues?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

evilweasel posted:

Ah, I see that completing the destruction of our democratic institutions is now a bipartisan consensus.

I'm not particularly interested in having an extended discussion on this, so I'll just simply say that I think maintaining the integrity and neutrality of democratic institutions like our Judiciary is far more important than any one, two, or twenty bad decisions. The fact that Republicans are weaponizing the courts does not mean that packing them in response will do anything other than signal the death of this union.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Ah, I see that completing the destruction of our democratic institutions is now a bipartisan consensus.

I'm not particularly interested in having an extended discussion on this, so I'll just simply say that I think maintaining the integrity and neutrality of democratic institutions like our Judiciary is far more important than any one, two, or twenty bad decisions. The fact that Republicans are weaponizing the courts does not mean that packing them in response will do anything other than signal the death of this union.

Our democratic institutions are useless if one side isn't allowed to pass laws when they win elections. Republicans have packed the courts with conservative ideologues who will reach for the flimsiest of legal pretexts to strike down laws that violate only their policy preferences; that is not a tolerable state of affairs.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Iron Rose is being terrible again.

evilweasel posted:

I wonder if they'll go blatant enough to have two separate law books, one for regressives and one for everyone else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm glad SCOTUS is here to destroy what little hope we all had after AOC won last night.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Iron Rose posted:

America is already dead. We're cheering as children are caged on our border. Our highest court is making anything up they can to justify supporting a partisan agenda. Congress has completely abdicated its duty for over 8 years now. The president is a stooge controlled by a hostile foreign government.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Taerkar posted:

I wonder if they'll go blatant enough to have two separate law books, one for regressives and one for everyone else.

Striking down the conviction in Masterpiece because you can look behind the application of a facially and actually neutral law based on a stray comment that could be misinterpreted as religious animus, while upholding the travel ban because even with overt religious animus if lawyers can craft a facially neutral explanation (even when everyone knows it is false), is already the two separate law books stage. The decisions were only a week or two apart!

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

America is already dead. We're cheering as children are caged on our border. Our highest court is making anything up they can to justify supporting a partisan agenda. Congress has completely abdicated its duty for over 8 years now. The president is a stooge controlled by a hostile foreign government.

America died in the civil war, and its zombie was destroyed in the new deal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

evilweasel posted:

Striking down the conviction in Masterpiece because you can look behind the application of a facially and actually neutral law based on a stray comment that could be misinterpreted as religious animus, while upholding the travel ban because even with overt religious animus if lawyers can craft a facially neutral explanation (even when everyone knows it is false), is already the two separate law books stage. The decisions were only a week or two apart!

Exactly. There only consistent thing is "conservatives win" regardless of the merit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jesus christ:

quote:

The majority also suggests that it would be unconstitutional for a public employer to agree to a contract that gives union members a better deal than nonmembers. (Which is why imposing the duty of fair representation on the union is not a significant burden that justifies requiring nonmembers to pay fair share fees).

this is blatant, even for alito

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

evilweasel posted:

Yes, but they haven't actually printed any books yet. I'm saying they might get that blatant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Syzygy Stardust posted:

America died in the civil war, and its zombie was destroyed in the new deal.

Hays-Tilden election.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Iron Rose posted:

the court is undemocratic.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
How much longer until they declare taxes unconstitutional since it goes to fund politicians and is basically political speech? And avoiding free riders isn't a compelling interest to require either! lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

jesus christ:

this is blatant, even for alito

Is this Alito's equivalent of Roberts and the VRA?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/1011979136817094664

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

So does this mean that cops can all stop paying dues?

I'm sure that will be well received by the blue brotherhood. They will absolutely not use any sort of coercion or threat to ensure that the dues keep flowing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Raldikuk posted:

How much longer until they declare taxes unconstitutional since it goes to fund politicians and is basically political speech? And avoiding free riders isn't a compelling interest to require either! lol

You presume that they would extrapolate their reasoning rather than completely reversing it from case to case based on their preferences, which we've seen is not the case over the past weeks.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Charging feed to non-members was the compromise made to restrict labor's ability to strike. That deal has now been rescinded. There should be a general strike in retaliation.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

axeil posted:

Charging feed to non-members was the compromise made to restrict labor's ability to strike. That deal has now been rescinded. There should be a general strike in retaliation.

Ask air traffic controllers how that works.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

The Iron Rose posted:

In a normal world I would agree with you. The issue is that modern conservative politicians are never acting in good faith and will continue to undermine democratic institutions without reservation until they completely destroy the ability of any progressive political movement to threaten their power. I think that it will only become more and more brazen.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Nobody can strike in the us because we're all destitute and paycheck to paycheck because the capital class won

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pocket pool posted:

In a normal world I would agree with you. The issue is that modern conservative politicians are never acting in good faith and will continue to undermine democratic institutions without reservation until they completely destroy the ability of any progressive political movement to threaten their power. I think that it will only become more and more brazen.

It's absolutely going to be more brazen. Lower courts have already been packed and we're going to see states outlaw abortion and gay marriage protections in the next year or two.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Nobody can strike in the us because we're all destitute and paycheck to paycheck because the capital class won

By importing illegal immigrants to lower our wages. Let’s build the wall, brothers!

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's absolutely going to be more brazen. Lower courts have already been packed and we're going to see states outlaw abortion and gay marriage protections in the next year or two.

Which courts had a bunch of seats added to facilitate this packing that already happened? Good for judicial efficiency and speeding up the appellate pipeline, I guess, but I can see why you’d be mad that a it happened now rather than during Obama’s administration.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

There's not actually a prize for being the most stoicly principled corpse in the mass grave.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That Clinic ruling sure reads a lot like "preventing fraud is Unconsitutional*" though the hypocrisy of the travel ban ruling so shortly after the bakery ruling makes me wonder how anyone who isn't a Trump-humping Nazi could see 5-4 rulings by the conservative wing as judicially legitimate.

* only applies to lying to promote conservative causes.

evilweasel posted:

yeah but democrats aren't getting 67 votes in the senate anytime soon, let alone a comfortable buffer to lose a vote or two to decorum and norms

there's not a lot of decisions i'd vote to impeach over, but the VRA is one given that the constitution specifically vested the enforcement of the 15th in Congress out of an awareness that the Supreme Court would try to interfere, making the decision that congress's determinations were not appropriate entirely outside the power of the supreme court

The GOP was served real well by the fact that Obama was, ultimately, a huge loving coward.

He could've forced confrontation over Garland, or Shelby County, or a slew of other things, but he didn't. Because he's a mediocre-at-best POTUS who looks amazing simply due to being sandwiched between two historically bad presidents. That Obama didn't force a showdown over Shelby County made it clear from the outset that he was never going to be more than passive-aggressive over the GOP stalling on Scalia's replacement. I hope history shits all over Obama because it's the least he deserves.

It also doesn't help that the Dem leadership is garbage and people like Chuck Schumer would sooner support the GOP and literal Nazis due to :decorum: than the left of their own party.

Sydin posted:

So we're pretty much 100% confirmed that Janus vs. AFSCME is going to be a 5-4 conservative slam dunk with the widest possible ruling to gently caress over public unions forever, right?

It's cute you're only worried about public unions. If their ruling doesn't attack unions in their entirety I'd be shocked. Hell, if it doesn't say "public sector unions are illegal" I'd be shocked. The only upside would be if LEO unions don't get an exemption and cops are made to realize that yes, they are just as disposable to the GOP as everyone else.

evilweasel posted:

The Civil War Amendments specifically gave Congress the power to enforce them because the Supreme Court could not be trusted. Worse, the Civil War Amendments were passed, you know, after the Civil War and passed while the South was still under military occupation and so acting as if Congress's power in this area is limited by ~state dignity~ is so stupid that it defies description. There was no justification whatsoever for Shelby v. Holder and not only was it a wrong decision, it was an intentionally lawless decision.

And Shelby v. Holder was decided while Republicans controlled the House and everyone knew they would not pass a new VRA.

There was a Democrat in the White House, and the proper course of action was for OBama to hold a presser stating that the SCOTUS's ruling would not be followed because they are constitutionally prohibited from making such a ruling and that Congress as the ultimate authority on the subject had already made their decision when they renewed the VRA.

But that didn't happen. Because Obama is a worthless coward. Ultimately, the enforcement of the Shelby County decision is his fault.

(And I'm sure there's enough lovely Democrats that they'd have supported impeachment even if he'd found his spine)

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm sure that will be well received by the blue brotherhood. They will absolutely not use any sort of coercion or threat to ensure that the dues keep flowing.

They can just steal directly from citizens with more civil forfeiture.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

while ideal, please remember that general strikes are illegal and this is a country that is thoroughly in love with mass incarceration before judging unions for not doing so

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Evil Fluffy posted:

He could've forced confrontation over Garland, or Shelby County, or a slew of other things, but he didn't. Because he's a mediocre-at-best POTUS who looks amazing simply due to being sandwiched between two historically bad presidents. That Obama didn't force a showdown over Shelby County made it clear from the outset that he was never going to be more than passive-aggressive over the GOP stalling on Scalia's replacement. I hope history shits all over Obama because it's the least he deserves.

Obama is a better than average president.

The average president is pretty drat lovely.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Pretty angry that SCOTUS undermined Georgia’s attempts to improve America by cutting off Florida’s water.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

UberJew posted:

while ideal, please remember that general strikes are illegal and this is a country that is thoroughly in love with mass incarceration before judging unions for not doing so

Everyone just "gets sick" mysteriously one day. And it's a real bad illness, probably won't be a week or so till they're back on their feet.

Goal accomplished without anyone technically breaking the law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

There was a Democrat in the White House, and the proper course of action was for OBama to hold a presser stating that the SCOTUS's ruling would not be followed because they are constitutionally prohibited from making such a ruling and that Congress as the ultimate authority on the subject had already made their decision when they renewed the VRA.

i've heard people say this and i don't think people actually have thought it through at all. the VRA has to be enforced through the courts because it's about blocking laws that state governments pass. you can tell the supreme court to go gently caress itself and enforce its own legal rulings when it's trying to stop you from doing something, but you can't enforce the VRA without the court system unless you're willing to re-impose the occupation of the confederate states.

obama absolutely should have campaigned harder against the supreme court's illegitimacy however

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

Everyone just "gets sick" mysteriously one day. And it's a real bad illness, probably won't be a week or so till they're back on their feet.

Goal accomplished without anyone technically breaking the law.

Yes, I’m sure there won’t be any organizational electronic paper trail to find and support some indictments for false statements in addition to justification to fire everyone for an illegal strike.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

evilweasel posted:

i've heard people say this and i don't think people actually have thought it through at all. the VRA has to be enforced through the courts because it's about blocking laws that state governments pass. you can tell the supreme court to go gently caress itself and enforce its own legal rulings when it's trying to stop you from doing something, but you can't enforce the VRA without the court system unless you're willing to re-impose the occupation of the confederate states.

obama absolutely should have campaigned harder against the supreme court's illegitimacy however

Why did the VRA have to be set up to require preclearance only in specific jurisdictions anyway? Politics? State powers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zeeman posted:

Why did the VRA have to be set up to require preclearance only in specific jurisdictions anyway? Politics? State powers?

Northerners didn't want their racism interfered with.