Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

So how are y'all spending your summer?

The same way I spend every other season of the year, I guess?

Alaemon posted:

I'm exceeding 45 hours a week

I honestly can't decide on how to respond to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Performing improv and trying to restrain my boss’s unfocused energy.

In “dine on Alpo” news, Valparaiso Law School is planning to move to Tennessee.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mastershakeman posted:

I did winter camping at elevation (Yellowstone) in just a tent and it was like -25 overnight? It stunk since we were under geared. I do recall during bright sunlight the day we got to the car it being -19. Then back in Chicago it was 25 and I was overheating immediately

These are F numbers, so uh -30ish C. Celsius is so stupid. -10 C is right where winter camping gets nice, any warmer and its too slushy and wet
That sounds awful. I did some hiking in Iceland, and ~20 degrees at night in a tent was bad enough.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
loving Roberts. Oh for sure, in retrospect Korematsu was a terrible decision, a disgrace in fact, with “no place in law under the Constitution.” 323 U. S. 214, 248 (1944)(Jackson, J., dissenting). And yes, we're using the same rationale here that we used in Korematsu. And yes, Trump did compare himself favorably to FDR interning Japanese Americans. But it's okay here, you see, because, well, here there is a valid national security concern. As has been obvious from the dozens of terrorist attacks that have occurred without the travel ban.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

echopapa posted:

Performing improv and trying to restrain my boss’s unfocused energy.

In “dine on Alpo” news, Valparaiso Law School is planning to move to Tennessee.

Lol, the “gift” of Valpo

I like to think that this thread had some role in bringing about the death of Valparaiso law school

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

loving Roberts. Oh for sure, in retrospect Korematsu was a terrible decision, a disgrace in fact, with “no place in law under the Constitution.” 323 U. S. 214, 248 (1944)(Jackson, J., dissenting). And yes, we're using the same rationale here that we used in Korematsu. And yes, Trump did compare himself favorably to FDR interning Japanese Americans. But it's okay here, you see, because, well, here there is a valid national security concern. As has been obvious from the dozens of terrorist attacks that have occurred without the travel ban.

Gotta say folks, I'm speaking from a place of ignorance but based just on my reading the SCOTUS thread... the gently caress is up with your supreme court?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

:raise: exactly how old are you, are you like a geriatric trying to reach single digit bodyfat? If so, I have bad news.
I'm in my 40s but I'm trying to reach bodyfat percentages that are extremely difficult to attain for even young guys. The percentages I'm trying to hit are 8% to 5% which is unsustainable except for short periods of time. I just want to prove I can do it. I've been dropping 1.6 kg a week for 10 weeks so far and have 16.4 kg left to go.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gotta say folks, I'm speaking from a place of ignorance but based just on my reading the SCOTUS thread... the gently caress is up with your supreme court?

Turns out that if you appoint racist ideologues to the Supreme Court, they make racist ideological rulings. Weird, huh?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

a multi-decade program to pack it with nutcases

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

The "tests" concocted by the justices rely on willful ignorance about the motivation behind polices rather than using a modicum of the intelligence the justices have.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

The "tests" concocted by the justices rely on willful ignorance about the motivation behind polices rather than using a modicum of the intelligence the justices have.

Some might even say they are being intellectually dishonest in order to reach a prejudged partisan outcome.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some might even say they are being intellectually dishonest in order to reach a prejudged partisan outcome.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Well at least Sotomayor published a dissent that's going to be read in 50 years like Jackson's in Korematsu

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

a multi-decade program to pack it with nutcases

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's hosed up.

Or, in the words of my civil procedure law professor (and supreme court judge) and I paraphrase "if you are a law-reader (pejorative term right there by the way), taking law as a passive observer and neglect the legal-philosophical and logical framework that constitutes modern legal methodology, how are you any better than a lay person? A jurist is first and foremost a law practicioner. If you don't understand what this means and why it is important, I recommend you drop out." The point being, that every law scholar or jurist is not entitled to but obligated to work within a framework and a methodology that first and foremost is responsible for producing "the good result". The obligation in this case simply means a responsibility to go beyond the normal scope of sourcework and legal methodology into everything from natural philosophy to comparative law in the cases where ordinary methodology fails to deliver a result that is compatible with fundamental principles and human rights, democratic principles and natural law.

It's actually pretty self-evident. If nothing else, just as a simple matter of pragmatism if you practice bad law and the results are incomprehensible or continually at odds with good morals, good ethics, good logic, the public sense of justice and fairness and produce real-world results that are a net negative for society as a whole, you weaken your authority as arbiters of justice. When it comes right down to it, every single appointment to every court in a democracy is a function of that democracy and any legitimacy and authority directly derives from the people and nothing else. Failing to recognize that is a failure to recognize the central duty of law.

In my personal opinion - and feel free to call me out on my bullshit here - judgements that are at odds with the general good of society and that are offensive to democratic will, the zeitgeist of the time, fundamental human rights etc. and/or are just terrible judgements in general, weaken the authority of the supreme court and weaken the precedential impact of such judgements to the point that the question can be raised whether they give any precedential guidance at all.

Alright, never mind my rambling. It's not like my own supreme court hasn't thrown out some stupid poo poo judgements before and the world hardly ended for all that. At least I can count my blessing that our supreme court is predominantly occupied by democratic interpretation of the will of parliament and the central legislative concerns that give reason to each statute instead of political horseshit. That's a real good thing about parliamentarism, judges leave their politics out of the courtroom entirely, or risk their impartiality compromised in the eyes of their collegues.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That's hosed up.

Or, in the words of my civil procedure law professor (and supreme court judge) and I paraphrase "if you are a law-reader (pejorative term right there by the way), taking law as a passive observer and neglect the legal-philosophical and logical framework that constitutes modern legal methodology, how are you any better than a lay person? A jurist is first and foremost a law practicioner. If you don't understand what this means and why it is important, I recommend you drop out." The point being, that every law scholar or jurist is not entitled to but obligated to work within a framework and a methodology that first and foremost is responsible for producing "the good result". The obligation in this case simply means a responsibility to go beyond the normal scope of sourcework and legal methodology into everything from natural philosophy to comparative law in the cases where ordinary methodology fails to deliver a result that is compatible with fundamental principles and human rights, democratic principles and natural law.

It's actually pretty self-evident. If nothing else, just as a simple matter of pragmatism if you practice bad law and the results are incomprehensible or continually at odds with good morals, good ethics, good logic, the public sense of justice and fairness and produce real-world results that are a net negative for society as a whole, you weaken your authority as arbiters of justice. When it comes right down to it, every single appointment to every court in a democracy is a function of that democracy and any legitimacy and authority directly derives from the people and nothing else. Failing to recognize that is a failure to recognize the central duty of law.

In my personal opinion - and feel free to call me out on my bullshit here - judgements that are at odds with the general good of society and that are offensive to democratic will, the zeitgeist of the time, fundamental human rights etc. and/or are just terrible judgements in general, weaken the authority of the supreme court and weaken the precedential impact of such judgements to the point that the question can be raised whether they give any precedential guidance at all.

Alright, never mind my rambling. It's not like my own supreme court hasn't thrown out some stupid poo poo judgements before and the world hardly ended for all that. At least I can count my blessing that our supreme court is predominantly occupied by democratic interpretation of the will of parliament and the central legislative concerns that give reason to each statute instead of political horseshit. That's a real good thing about parliamentarism, judges leave their politics out of the courtroom entirely, or risk their impartiality compromised in the eyes of their collegues.

Yes but the United States is infested with “jurists” who think it’s their job to divine how a bunch of guys who have been dead for centuries meant their laws to apply to circumstances they could not possibly have imagined in their wildest dreams.

Thankfully—O quam mirabilis est!—more often than not that “original meaning” falls in line with modern conservative zeitgeist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gorush was appointed because he's so militantly ignorant that he was willing to interpret any laws diametrically opposed to their obvious, plain intent in order to do bad things.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That's a lot of words to say you agree with Thomas and that stare decisis doesn't mean poo poo. It's just legal decorum and ignore it if you want to or use it as a rhetorical shield if you don't want to

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

That's a lot of words to say you agree with Thomas and that stare decisis doesn't mean poo poo. It's just legal decorum and ignore it if you want to or use it as a rhetorical shield if you don't want to

Yeah well I mean who doesn't love :words:

Anyway, it's not that stare decisis doesn't mean poo poo so much that it's about me being in support of a legal ideology where the value and weight of precedence diminishes proportionally with the relative shittyness of a supreme court and its judgements. Yeah I know, I'm pretty arrogant, but I also think there's good reason and I'd be fine with a de facto rebellion against hardline stare decisis in the lower courts and also against originalist thinking as described while I'm at it because what the gently caress kind of ideology is that :psyduck:

No for real this

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, the people behind the right wing court have basically constructed an elaborate, yet simultaneously content-free ideological "legal theory" that tries to do the opposite. It produces the results the justice wants through disingenuously asserting that they should not examine the underlying framework, effect, evidence, rationale, anything. The "commonsense" and originalist textualist theories developed by the right are weaponized, rheotorical legal-moral solipsism.

is loving stupid.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

blarzgh posted:

I honestly can't decide on how to respond to this.

I know it's laughable to the billable hours set. But I'm from the world of "Why are you working overtime? Who authorized this? You realize you won't get paid for it?" etc.

I'm lucky in that people in my department are decent. However, a separate branch of government actually pays my salary, and they don't care.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Just landed in Puerto Rico four hours ago. Never experiencing winter again

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

In Biglaw news, I forgot to eat lunch

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

disjoe posted:

In Biglaw news, I forgot to eat lunch

Don’t worry, someone else ate yours

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Just got cast by invitation to sing Phyllis in an Iolanthe pub sing. w00t. Quitting law. Pursuing opera.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Just got cast by invitation to sing Phyllis in an Iolanthe pub sing. w00t. Quitting law. Pursuing opera.

Rhyme doesn't pay, though.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

homullus posted:

I'm getting paid. Just not well.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

booo

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

ActusRhesus posted:

I'm getting paid. Just not well.

Getting paid anything is pretty well for Opera

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hoshi posted:

Getting paid anything is pretty well for Opera

Truth. Usually I only get paid for directing/choreographing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just got an interview scheduled for a second chair spot for one of my state's capital conviction review teams. FL doesn't use habeas procedures for capital appellate review, and instead has three designated regional counsel offices that provide all post-sentencing appellate work. This is my first interview I'm actually excited about because I actually give a drat about the work they're doing.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Like the law job market is vicious but the entry level Opera market is "pay for gigs until someone notices you"

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LET THIS PERSON GET AWAY WITH THIS?!?!?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just got an interview scheduled for a second chair spot for one of my state's capital conviction review teams. FL doesn't use habeas procedures for capital appellate review, and instead has three designated regional counsel offices that provide all post-sentencing appellate work. This is my first interview I'm actually excited about because I actually give a drat about the work they're doing.

Man, whole lotta goons love post-conviction work apparently. Congrats on the interview!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Omerta posted:

Man, whole lotta goons love post-conviction work apparently. Congrats on the interview!

Thanks. Hopefully I can land this. I'm not getting my hopes up, but this type of position would be great.

e: I know the subject matter of the work may wear on me after a while, since it's exclusively post-capital conviction work, but even so I think all the appellate work will be good for my career.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 27, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Welp, RIP my union. We have enough morons here who think the union does nothing despite getting like 5-6 weeks of vacation and getting paid more than government lawyers in other states who will be happy to free-ride to save 40bux a month.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

blarzgh posted:

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO LET THIS PERSON GET AWAY WITH THIS?!?!?

Yes, justice must be metered out for such per-verse-ity.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

nm posted:

Welp, RIP my union. We have enough morons here who think the union does nothing despite getting like 5-6 weeks of vacation and getting paid more than government lawyers in other states who will be happy to free-ride to save 40bux a month.

I think you mean they know the union works out well for them but they got theirs and don’t care about up and comers and they are cheap assholes.

These people are Baby Boomers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The tenor of this conversation is getting off-beat.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

The tenor of this conversation is getting off-beat.

I think you mean timbre

E: because tenors are perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hoshi posted:

I think you mean timbre

I put my clef where I want. I'll c my way out.