Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Also, Todd bought an android child because.......................he loves kids?

Serious answer is cause his wife took his daughter with her when she left him, and he wanted a replacement daughter to prove he wasn't a gently caress-up

But you're not looking for serious answers, so come up with a funnier answer

WampaLord posted:

God drat, Woolie's anger feels so good.

He was SO SURE about the child.

Cage hosed him! He hosed him right in the asssssss!

Also Woolie channeling the Westworld thread when getting so angry at the fight scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Also Woolie channeling the Westworld thread when getting so angry at the fight scenes

That was glorious, Woolie was firing on all cylinders in this one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I was 100% with Woolie on that soldier scene, like every single other instance has been them just mowing everyone down, but you get within arm's reach of an android and he's very visibly and obviously moving towards you and you don't just hold down the trigger, that's some lame-rear end writing. Like the scene is good enough and all but then that happens.

It's "funny" how the soldiers are apparently gathering up androids who don't resist...but running away warrants OPEN FIRE BRRRRRRTTTTT KILL'EM ALL. Must've gotten inspiration from american cops.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
And considering that I think the captured androids are just being taken to camps to be tossed into big bonfires you have to wonder what the point of gathering them up is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Buckets posted:

And considering that I think the captured androids are just being taken to camps to be tossed into big bonfires you have to wonder what the point of gathering them up is.

Efficiency of cleanup/recycling, basically.

If they just shot them all in the street, someone would have to come clean it up (because there aren't any androids to do manual labor anymore, welcome back jobs!!!! :toot:), easier to make them march themselves to the camps.

Oh wait, there's still plenty of non-deviant androids, so that reasoning doesn't even work, just shoot them in the street and have the non-deviants bring them to the recycling center.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"Even Todd's fake family left him" had me loving rolling, dumb twist aside.

WampaLord posted:

Efficiency of cleanup/recycling, basically.

If they just shot them all in the street, someone would have to come clean it up (because there aren't any androids to do manual labor anymore, welcome back jobs!!!! :toot:), easier to make them march themselves to the camps.

Oh wait, there's still plenty of non-deviant androids, so that reasoning doesn't even work, just shoot them in the street and have the non-deviants bring them to the recycling center.

It's there to reference concentration camps. Really doesn't seem like any more reason than that. Subtle!

Wonder if they'll get to the REALLY dumb ending, the one where it's revealed that deviancy is a Cyberlife plot

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean

Is there anyone who doesn't think that like an hour into the game

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SgtSteel91 posted:

Serious answer is cause his wife took his daughter with her when she left him, and he wanted a replacement daughter to prove he wasn't a gently caress-up

But you're not looking for serious answers, so come up with a funnier answer

I want a link to the moment the Westworld thread blows its poo poo up. :allears:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

WampaLord posted:

That was glorious, Woolie was firing on all cylinders in this one.

I agree with Woolie's anger about the Westworld finale but he was wrong about several things that were actually explained -

The military dudes that Delos brought in aren't actually military, they're just a glorified PMC. This doesn't forgive their stupidity entirely but I can understand why a bunch of mercenaries and contractors getting clowned by the Hosts would happen.

Woolie was also mad about the workers somehow getting captured by the Hosts and was under the impression that they just went home after their shifts. :psyduck: Like, one of the major plot points of S1 was that when you work in the park, you're cycled into the Mesa facility for months on end. He also complained about Punished Bernard "Venom" Lowe having no agency when the entire point of his story reveal was realizing AI Ford had been purged from him and he did most of what he did of his own volition. Imaginary AI Ford was just a coping mechanism for his guilt.

I'm sorry for the CIA document but while the finale left a bad taste in my mouth, a good portion of what he complained about was ultimately answered, even if it was in the worst, possibly most convoluted way they could muster.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
So I've caught up on the last few episodes of Detroit, and I do believe I have bingo!

I was thinking this whole time Kara and Luther would end up being the main romance but nah, they actually have a somewhat decently established relationship where they've been getting along well and that's obviously not what David Cage is into.

Meanwhile, for the guys' original bingo card:

We could have a double bingo on our hands, but The Supernatural seems like a long shot at this point since Cyberlife appears to be the final location for the big climactic battle. I think it would've been hinted harder by now if it were the case.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
:allears: Woolie was on fire on this episode and calling Pat out for being a flip flopper.

Boy did this game fall apart near the end. This is all peak Cage. Alice being an android child is a really dumb twist and now looking back Cage kept avoiding any instances of it being hinted so it can pay off and like hell it does. Also a camp? Really?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Shindragon posted:

:allears: Woolie was on fire on this episode and calling Pat out for being a flip flopper.

And I think that's going to bit Pat in the rear end cause 1) They don't know Hank's son's name and 2) They're not friends with Hank

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Boy did this game fall apart near the end. This is all peak Cage. Alice being an android child is a really dumb twist and now looking back Cage kept avoiding any instances of it being hinted so it can pay off and like hell it does. Also a camp? Really?

It seems to explain why Todd didn't make a huge fuss about her being missing. "Android kidnaps a child" is a far bigger and more alarming headline then an android who beat up their master and ran away, and why we never saw her eating. Speaking of: You can steal a candy bar for her in the motel chapter, is it possible to get her to eat it? I mean, it certainly explains things, but I'm not gonna deny it's a dumb as hell twist.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

VibrantPareidolia posted:

So I've caught up on the last few episodes of Detroit, and I do believe I have bingo!

I was thinking this whole time Kara and Luther would end up being the main romance but nah, they actually have a somewhat decently established relationship where they've been getting along well and that's obviously not what David Cage is into.

If I may point out...

- Shower scene: technically Hank got one
- Racial stereotype zone: admittedly I'm somewhat invested in Luther's character in that I don't want him to die horribly, but he's definitely skirting the stereotype line. Physically imposing black guy who's got a heart of gold and spouts wisdom about family (family family...)? Kara even gets the option to call him a "gentle giant" at one point
- Inappropriate slavery analogy at black person: when North and Josh are arguing, North says some pretty wack poo poo about how Josh is choosing to remain a slave or something because of his pacifism. Of course, they're androids and the original intention of the space was referring to a black human, but that scene was still hilariously stupid. Maybe half-crossed off?
- That's not how people talk: what the gently caress was up with President Vloggary Clinton's speech patterns??

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

SgtSteel91 posted:

And I think that's going to bit Pat in the rear end cause 1) They don't know Hank's son's name and 2) They're not friends with Hank

Since they had people telling them to surrender with Kara I imagine somebody told them Hanks's son's name.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

Since they had people telling them to surrender with Kara I imagine somebody told them Hanks's son's name.

But I think the option to say Cole is a locked option

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

standard owl posted:

- That's not how people talk: what the gently caress was up with President Vloggary Clinton's speech patterns??
motherfucker, welcome to 2018, it's a brave new world

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

What's the origin of "family family family", anyway?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

a cartoon duck posted:

What's the origin of "family family family", anyway?
my dude, you absolutely, ABSOLUTELY need to watch the Punisher LP

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Woolie is doing Kirby Lore videos so every time he gets something wrong or makes a mistake I'm going to d i e

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

SgtSteel91 posted:

But I think the option to say Cole is a locked option

Nope. It is still selectable if you dont know it, there just isn't a lock symbol next to it.

The unlock is mainly just there to point out the answer if you know it. Otherwise you get a 25% chance.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

We could have a double bingo on our hands, but The Supernatural seems like a long shot at this point since Cyberlife appears to be the final location for the big climactic battle. I think it would've been hinted harder by now if it were the case.

It all comes down to how Magical the Magic Stone really is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

standard owl posted:

- Inappropriate slavery analogy at black person: when North and Josh are arguing, North says some pretty wack poo poo about how Josh is choosing to remain a slave or something because of his pacifism. Of course, they're androids and the original intention of the space was referring to a black human, but that scene was still hilariously stupid. Maybe half-crossed off?

I think a better one is the black preacher who yells at Markus that he'll be the damnation of humanity and he's everything wrong with the world.

And "that's not how people talk" is basically a second free space, come on, it's David Cage. Todd is a perfect example of "that's not how people talk" with his 0 to 11 rage fueled rant about his wife leaving him for A loving ACCOUNTANT!!!!

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Guys. Woolie made a thing

https://youtu.be/EIKb01oHDLo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man. watching paige's heavy rain videos, and there is seriously not a single human being in this entire game. It's like The Room: The Game. Every single character is like if an alien tried to describe a human

ze bad game

it's funny that paige got basically the best ending and almost never screwed up. I was totally expecting her to botch at least one crucial QTE for one of the main four. Well, besides leaving the lady in the car to drown, as paige is wont to do

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 28, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJXOkjs4qS4

"Woolie, can we just call you Markus?"

THEY KNEW

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

man. watching paige's heavy rain videos, and there is seriously not a single human being in this entire game. It's like The Room: The Game. Every single character is like if an alien tried to describe a human

ze bad game

it's funny that paige got basically the best ending and almost never screwed up. I was totally expecting her to botch at least one crucial QTE for one of the main four. Well, besides leaving the lady in the car to drown, as paige is wont to do

Although it's basically in character for Shelby to leave Lauren to die since he's leaving no lose threads that he's the Origami Killer

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
It will never cease to amuse me that Kirby is a literal toddler who has to contend with cosmic gods from beyond the stars every few years.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

standard owl posted:

Maybe we could go even further and interpret Woolie as the black person who the inappropriate slave analogy (the entire game) is being dictated to

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the next episode the last episode of the LP? It feels like it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maybe we could go even further and interpret Woolie as the black person who the inappropriate slave analogy (the entire game) is being dictated to

This is deliciously meta

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Is the next episode the last episode of the LP? It feels like it.

Should be.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

standard owl posted:

- Racial stereotype zone: admittedly I'm somewhat invested in Luther's character in that I don't want him to die horribly, but he's definitely skirting the stereotype line.

Dude, Luther isn't as much skirting as he is precariously dangling off of the line. All he needs is a magic mouse and he becomes John Coffey from Green Mile.

WampaLord posted:

Also, Todd bought an android child because.......................he loves kids?

If Todd lost his job and needed money for not-meth, why did he buy a nanny android.................. for his child android? It doesn't even need the care and support he was already not giving it.

If Todd had just studied to become an accountant, he could have had a whole lot more sex with his wife AND money for drugs, and a whole lot fewer expensive, redundant androids.

Justice Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 28, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

What would be interesting was if he was a drug dealer and not just a user and he just bought cheap androids to harvest for their blood and then beat them to poo poo so they could get serviced and repaired with new blood afterwords.

Can't elaborate on or have anything interesting happen in this game, though!

Maybe it's just them playing the cowards route but this game doesn't even really give any one moment time to breathe and it makes everything look super rushed and slapdash. Remember the Jerrys? No?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I can't wait for the Pat & Woolie Horizon: Zero Dawn LP

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Phantasium posted:

What would be interesting was if he was a drug dealer and not just a user and he just bought cheap androids to harvest for their blood and then beat them to poo poo so they could get serviced and repaired with new blood afterwords.

Can't elaborate on or have anything interesting happen in this game, though!

Maybe it's just them playing the cowards route but this game doesn't even really give any one moment time to breathe and it makes everything look super rushed and slapdash. Remember the Jerrys? No?

The Jerrys were so interesting! What happened to them?? Did they just decide to stay at the abandoned park forever? Just in case someone comes by and they have the chance to entertain people again? The place seems pretty far away, would they be safe from getting destroyed? It's pretty busted up but maybe other androids could go hide out there for awhile to escape the police. It's not like they need food or warmth.

Now I'm disappointed cause they were probably just there for the sake of a Cool Setpiece and have no bearing on the plot whatsoever. :(

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

The Jerrys were a cool idea but holy poo poo were they the most obnoxious (first) steamroll of Kara's development. Kara and Alice have such a good moment, with the caretaker/mom android trying her best to show creative thought in telling a story that resonated with their situation and her hopes for its conclusion. Kara has to keep trying to make the best of a bad situation and say something meaningful instead of empty robot comforts, and she's successful in it, too, at least in the Best Friends run.

Then, after she's gotten Alice to sleep, a bunch of androids bust through the loving window and go "HEY KID YOU WANNA RIDE A GODDAMN CAROUSEL?"

It's painted as this happy little moment for the trio to enjoy together before going back to a hard escape, but they ALREADY HAD THAT TEN SECONDS EARLIER. If it had been earlier, before Kara and crew settled into shelter, maybe when she briefly reactivated that one Jerry, it would've been fine. If they didn't explode through the loving window and just knocked, maybe it would've been more reasonable. But holy poo poo, they went for the worst way of implementing that ever, like they forgot to write it in until the scene was done.

Now Kara's development is completely nullified anyway, though, so whatever. I wish for the days when I thought her storyline would be pretty decent aside from one relatively minor stumble. gently caress Cage.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

Now Kara's development is completely nullified anyway, though, so whatever. I wish for the days when I thought her storyline would be pretty decent aside from one relatively minor stumble. gently caress Cage.

It really isn't though. That's what makes this twist so loving dumb, it doesn't actually change anything. Kara's still Alice's adoptive mom. Whether or not Alice is a deviant, she's still a thinking living adopted daughter that Kara cares for and protected at great risk to herself. Kara was still selfless, Todd was still abusive.

It's like the dumb twist at the end of Her Story, it doesn't actually re-contextualize or change anything meaningful. It's just a dumb twist for its own sake.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

TGLT posted:

It really isn't though. That's what makes this twist so loving dumb, it doesn't actually change anything. Kara's still Alice's adoptive mom. Whether or not Alice is a deviant, she's still a thinking living adopted daughter that Kara cares for and protected at great risk to herself. Kara was still selfless, Todd was still abusive.

It's like the dumb twist at the end of Her Story, it doesn't actually re-contextualize or change anything meaningful. It's just a dumb twist for its own sake.

The main drive of Kara's story was whether a deviant could form a meaningful, protective relationship with a human and raise one as a child, even in the face of other humans abusing and oppressing her, or whether that was solely her own programming making her do that. It's a pretty pointed contrast to the world around them, where it's turning into androids and humans protecting their own, or androids being helped by humans; Kara is the only android trying to help a human despite their circumstances.

Now we know Alice is an android, so it really doesn't matter in the same way as it did before because it's the same "androids gotta keep the other androids safe" protectiveness instead of something different. Kara was still selfless, but now it's no different from Markus sacrificing himself for the android movement or the sexbots teaming up to escape or Connor going deviant.

It's all just congealed into the same themes for everyone, because apparently that's all that matters in this story that definitely isn't about slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I can't wait for the Pat & Woolie Horizon: Zero Dawn LP

Is this for real?