Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

Did you use the logs for all the machines or just one per pair? Getting one Scorcher with the logs makes sense but I don't know how you'd do the second in time. They don't care about trip wires so guiding them that way probably wouldn't work.

Both the Scorchers I killed with the logpiles using the Ropecaster on the second to keep him in place, the Bellowbacks I just blew up with precision arrows since that's faster, and I lured one of the Frostclaws into the last trap on the third level. Just writing that out makes it seem easy but there's a lot that can go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Brightman posted:

Neat, I've been waffling on getting Absolver for a while now, so that's handy, and also it being a PS+ game will help with the low population problem I was worried about.

If Zero Time Dilemma is a cross-buy thing that'll be neat, but confusing as gently caress for anyone who didn't play 999 and VLR first, luckily there's some decent LPs of those in the LP Archive. There's also one of ZTD going on right now that's only a little of the way in.

Edit: Here's the link to 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and the one to Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward which took Fedule almost 5 years to complete.

It is not cross buy. I own zero time on ps4. They did make virtues last reward a ps+ title in the past. Funny thing is, the first game hasn't been ps+ yet.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

haveblue posted:

I'll download Absolver and I already own Observer so now I just need Ruiner and I can have the complete lineup of confusingly similar -er names

Add Pyre

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Neat factoid: If you go to Hemwick before beating Vicar it's at sunset and looks loving beautiful. :swoon:

Also the black sickle enemies won't spawn so it's a bit easier.

I already have Pyre and Prey so someone needs to release a game named Prye

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nice job!

The first try is in some cases the most competent because you just throw caution to the wind.

Neat factoid: If you go to Hemwick before beating Vicar it's at sunset and looks loving beautiful. :swoon:

Dang oh well. I’ll google for screenshots.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Heavy Rain was neat and had some really cool moments even though the whole plot falls apart if you think about it for more then 0.5 seconds. And the game hides the big reveal from you by blatantly lieing (and not even with the excuse of an unreliable narrator) which is some horseshit. Nahman Jayden still owns though

I'm playing Beyond: 2 Souls right now and it's hilariously dumb.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Ineffiable posted:

It is not cross buy. I own zero time on ps4. They did make virtues last reward a ps+ title in the past. Funny thing is, the first game hasn't been ps+ yet.

Yeah I saw that. 999 wasn't on Vita or PS4 until it was bundled with VLR in the Nonary Games last year. VLR being PS+ in the past is what got me into the series, read the 999 LP, and then played VLR straight through. Also partially contributed to me getting a Vita when I realized I had like 20 games through PS+ for it so why not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Both the Scorchers I killed with the logpiles using the Ropecaster on the second to keep him in place, the Bellowbacks I just blew up with precision arrows since that's faster, and I lured one of the Frostclaws into the last trap on the third level. Just writing that out makes it seem easy but there's a lot that can go wrong.

Was it just luck that the second Scorcher stayed underneath the log pile long enough to be roped? My Ropecaster had the highest possible Handling and even then most machines can move around a bit before they get fully tethered to the ground.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You should absolutely play Heavy Rain at least once, for free

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Lobok posted:

Was it just luck that the second Scorcher stayed underneath the log pile long enough to be roped? My Ropecaster had the highest possible Handling and even then most machines can move around a bit before they get fully tethered to the ground.

The timing is such that if you take the center rope and immediately drop the log pile onto that first Scorcher, the second one will be patrolling around the back just in time for you to rope him underneath the other pile. He doesn't need to be completely tied down, just immobilized enough to eat most of the logs when they fall. Again, this can take many tries but gives you a lot of necessary time for the next stages of the trial, as killing a Scorcher on its own can take forever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh I just realised that free Life Is Strange spin-off thing is out now. Guess I know what I’m doing for the next couple hours.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can’t beat the first big boss in DOOM and I’m getting frustrated, friends.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Housh posted:

I can’t beat the first big boss in DOOM and I’m getting frustrated, friends.

Which one.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Spalec posted:

Heavy Rain was neat and had some really cool moments even though the whole plot falls apart if you think about it for more then 0.5 seconds. And the game hides the big reveal from you by blatantly lieing (and not even with the excuse of an unreliable narrator) which is some horseshit. Nahman Jayden still owns though

I'm playing Beyond: 2 Souls right now and it's hilariously dumb.

The main character finds out she has been working for the bad guys from a public news broadcast.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
A solid month. I cannot wait to SHAAAUAUNNNN

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cyberdemon at the end of the Lazarus Labs.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Housh posted:

Still applies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Housh posted:

Hit him with the BFG in the second half of the fight and keep damaging him while he's stunned to get health and ammo pickups. That was crucial to my survival in that fight.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Housh posted:

You should have the bfg then right? For those bosses you have to focus on dodging more then you do with regular enemies where you can just tank and heal based on aggression. I reccomend the pulse rifle. It's really powerful. Bfg it and that should let you dodge with a steady stream of fire going in.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Still applies.

Lol. gently caress yeah the proest of tips.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh my god these fuckin whiney rear end Nora keep bitching about having to be away from the "sacred land". You're only hear to SAVE THE WORLD THAT YOU LIVE IN. Geralt wouldn't have put up with this poo poo

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Lobok posted:

Hit him with the BFG in the second half of the fight and keep damaging him while he's stunned to get health and ammo pickups. That was crucial to my survival in that fight.

Where are there health drops during the second fight. I get him down to a tiny bit of health but always die before I can get to the glory kill stun.

Bombadilillo posted:

You should have the bfg then right? For those bosses you have to focus on dodging more then you do with regular enemies where you can just tank and heal based on aggression. I reccomend the pulse rifle. It's really powerful. Bfg it and that should let you dodge with a steady stream of fire going in.
Yeah I think I have one BFG ammo when I start and there is one in the level. I'll give the pulse rifle a method a shot. Thanks!

Housh fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 27, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Playing Captain Spirit is basically a constant sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop and I feel so bad for this kid :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeeeeeeeeeeees!

I platted Heavy Rain on PS3 and I've wanted to buy it on PS4 for over a year but I've been waiting for a sale and there hasn't been one. My patience has paid off!

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy
Can the OP update the first post to add the TCL 6 series as good options for 4K HDR for the PS4 Pro? I can validate the awesome budget TV.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Housh posted:

Where are there health drops during the second fight. I get him down to a tiny bit of health but always die before I can get to the glory kill stun.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't mean pickups in the level. Pickups spill from the Cyberdemon when you blast him after he's been stunned with the BFG in the second half of the fight.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Lobok posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't mean pickups in the level. Pickups spill from the Cyberdemon when you blast him after he's been stunned with the BFG in the second half of the fight.
Ok. I never noticed that during the fight. That’s a big help.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Housh posted:

Ok. I never noticed that during the fight. That’s a big help.

Checking online it says to hit him with rockets specifically when he's stunned. I don't know if that's a requirement or if it's just the best weapon for big damage quickly. I was mostly using rockets and the Gauss cannon in that fight anyway so I was getting those pickups without knowing whether it was what I was "supposed' to do or not.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks, friends. Got home and beat him with my first try using the tips.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Someone tell me if I am going to be depressed while playing that Caption Spirit game - whether I will be or not, put it in a spoiler for others.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress I need to finish Doom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Someone tell me if I am going to be depressed while playing that Caption Spirit game - whether I will be or not, put it in a spoiler for others.

It's got the usual domestic misery characteristic of a Life is Strange game but it ends on an uplifting note.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Captain Spirit and it was a great little thing and definitely worth it for free. It wasn’t completely depressing but definitely bummed me out at times. I liked but didn’t love Life Is Strange but this makes me more excited for the sequel, although a couple moments still suffered from the unsubtle writing issues that plagued that game.

Most heartbreaking moment was when I realised why the villain is called Mantroid.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 27, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It's got the usual domestic misery characteristic of a Life is Strange game but it ends on an uplifting note.

If it ends with the kid dying or like becoming parapalegic or something I'm coming for u

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Finished the main story for Horizon Zero Dawn. Might go back and do the Frozen Wilds, might move on to another game :shrug:

Overall it was good, never quite made the leap to great for me. I was pretty hyped near the beginning of the game but the more it went on the more I kind of cooled off on it? It never hit heights of like Witcher 3 for me. It's hard not to compare the two while playing it. I like Aloy but as a character but was never like, enamored by her like I've seen a lot of people. Her character design was the best part. I should've just gone with only her pissed off responses to things because those ended up being the most interesting

Pros:
- The combat was fantastic. Really fun to break off components of robots and in general the weapons felt good. I was not patient enough for traps though. I would mostly just go in guns-a-blazin.
- The power armor was sick as hell, I can see why they keep it from you until the end :v:
- The game is gorgeous as hell, so many times during the game I'd like stop dead in my tracks and switch to photo mode because the surroundings looked so cool. The destroyed cities with traffic lights hanging and rusted cars everywhere with fully lush grass and trees around were great. The skyscraper was cool as hell.
- Any of the story stuff that had specifically to do with the Old Ones were so my jam. I loved exploring the ruins, I the later game ruins you go through and uncovering what happened to the old world and learning about Gaia and all that I LOVED the big reveal where it turns out the machines destroying the world couldn't be reversed. That was such a good moment because it was shocking and also still left the question of "but the world is still here, what happened?"
- You could keep running and never stop running. Shove your stamina meter up your rear end Link

Cons:
- Aloy just loving climb up! JUST CLIMB. GOOOO. I hated the climbing cause it felt like sometimes she just WOULDN'T go to the next ledge or metal piece.
- I found Meridian and the general area around there very boring. I think if this had been a different game I might have been more into it, but going from the starting area and also seeing the big snowey area the skyscraper is in, really made me dislike Meridian.
- I didn't really care about story stuff that didn't directly have to do with the Old Ones. I honestly never really cared all that much about Aloy's "dad". I didn't really care about the proving. I didn't care about the sidequests that were like "I lost my spear help me find it" or whatever. Some of that stuff is woven around the Old Ones but it just felt more like it was getting in my way when all I wanted was to just watching holograms and read text logs of what happened and not deal with what's happening to Meridian or the Shadow whoevers. I could've Tomb Raider'd around the old ruins with Aloy all day, I loved those parts.
- The animations during the dialogue scenes! My god! Why is it so bad!! Gahh. It killed me a little inside every time.
- I never really liked any of the characters that weren't Aloy to be honest. Even Sylens (Silense? I don't remember how to spell his name), because I got tired of every response of his being "You have a question. I understand. There's no time for that now" and it's like okay man :rolleyes: Stop hitting on Aloy EVERYONE
- I hated that Hades had a devil voice and not just like... a calm robot voice. Why did you guys program Hades to have a devil voice guys, that seems like a weird decision, even if the cowboy metal head.

All in all it was good, never quite blew me away, and I could never truly get into the story directly outside of the Old Ones. Fighting robots was heckin cool though.

exquisite tea posted:

Goddamn you

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Finished the main story for Horizon Zero Dawn. Might go back and do the Frozen Wilds, might move on to another game :shrug:

- The animations during the dialogue scenes! My god! Why is it so bad!! Gahh. It killed me a little inside every time.

I can't say anything for certain for your other points, but regarding this: the devs clearly took this complain to heart for The Frozen Wilds - the dialogue scenes are much, much better, with much-improved animations, emotions, and just in general a more dynamic feeling rather than just staring at each other and talking. Just noticeably better overall.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
If anyone ever asks me what Celeste is like I'm just going to link these.

https://youtu.be/CmkD1AjPIC4

https://youtu.be/MZerfOcbrKk

https://youtu.be/2UsbWoPWFjE

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Renoistic posted:

That strawberry was the bane of my loving existence. I didn't even think about clinging to the left wall either at any point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjr6IA-ECyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7bw_-OiDk

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Renoistic posted:

I made a mistake of watching the beginning levels to get an idea of what the game was, and that made it look sorta boring despite what everyone was saying. These, however, totally look like my poo poo!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

I can't say anything for certain for your other points, but regarding this: the devs clearly took this complain to heart for The Frozen Wilds - the dialogue scenes are much, much better, with much-improved animations, emotions, and just in general a more dynamic feeling rather than just staring at each other and talking. Just noticeably better overall.

The changes they made to the animations and dialogue really helped sell the characters more in TFW. After a few sentences of Burgrend talking I thought it was too bad we hadn't had this character around the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Macaluso posted:

That strawberry was the bane of my loving existence. I didn't even think about clinging to the left wall either at any point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjr6IA-ECyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7bw_-OiDk

:hfive: Glad I'm not the only one who made that mistake haha. I didn't think about doing it your way either. Looking forward to the B-sides!

BisterdDave posted:

I made a mistake of watching the beginning levels to get an idea of what the game was, and that made it look sorta boring despite what everyone was saying. These, however, totally look like my poo poo!

It's at the later end of the main game. But you can also unlock alternate versions of every stage (B-sides) which I'm sure are going to properly nightmarish!