Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Just let me mount siege engines on walls. Back before the game came out, they talked about the zoomed in sieges letting them have bigger walls and more room to position stuff and all I wanted was being able to put cannons pointing out. I'd rather all towers be replaced with un-scalable section of wall that sticks out on which archers or siege engines can be safely stationed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Unless you have a lot of artillery, limited tower range doesn't completely trivialize sieges because you'll run out of ammo AI some point and if their garrison has enough hardy units or guys out of LoS you'll still have to get your hands bloody regardless.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frog Act posted:

or you could just choose not to do that, use the cannons like you would in an older game to take down towers (since you can't knock down walls like you could in 2006) and then send in units on ladders to take the dead zones from the defenders. Typically then a long and bloody battle for the walls ensues because you actually have units left you can commit tactically when you want to because they haven't been whittled down to nothing by tier 5 defense throwing huge explosions into their midst every couple seconds

But you can knock down walls with artillery fire? You can't knock it next to the gate, but you can definitely do that everywhere else. High Elves even get a rite that gives them the ability to click delete on a section of the wall.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Frog Act posted:

I'm gonna have to do that anyway in order to advance siege engines, just like in every other game, it makes more sense to have intact infantry units for that. Like nobody would just go hang out and set up shop in range of the enemy walls. It bugs the heck out of me

If you reduce tower range you won't have to do that though.

I've never seen towers take out my advancing siege engines, actually. I don't see any reason to nerf them considering how weak they already are. Did you try the game before modding it?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Would it be so terrible for them to let you build every unit and balance them by cost? Waiting years before I can even have, say, white lions or swordmasters loving blows.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ZearothK posted:

But you can knock down walls with artillery fire? You can't knock it next to the gate, but you can definitely do that everywhere else. High Elves even get a rite that gives them the ability to click delete on a section of the wall.

I didn't know that, i just got wh2 and you definitely couldn't do it in 1 unless I missed something major

KPC_Mammon posted:

If you reduce tower range you won't have to do that though.

I've never seen towers take out my advancing siege engines, actually. I don't see any reason to nerf them considering how weak they already are. Did you try the game before modding it?

yes, it was so drastically different from the sieges I've played hundreds of hours of in nearly (every other?) total war game that I couldn't deal

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The people complaining about towers being OP are the kinds of players who set up in the corner of the map against the edges every time and generally play the game in the least fun way possible.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

I didn't know that, i just got wh2 and you definitely couldn't do it in 1 unless I missed something major

Yes, you could in 1. You missed something major.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Helion posted:

Would it be so terrible for them to let you build every unit and balance them by cost? Waiting years before I can even have, say, white lions or swordmasters loving blows.

This is why Vampire Counts are the best faction. You get every unit by turn 15 and you don't even have to build recruitment buildings.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Are there any mods that tweak Warriors of Chaos at all? I just wrapped up a campaign as them. By the end I was just rolling over a city every turn, though granted it was on normal.

Basically I'd like to see more options from Razing beyond shaving a turn off of growth or a money, some way to leapfrog new armies a little faster especially late game, and making a newly spawned lord not immediately cause attrition.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jerry seinfel posted:

Are there any mods that tweak Warriors of Chaos at all? I just wrapped up a campaign as them. By the end I was just rolling over a city every turn, though granted it was on normal.

Basically I'd like to see more options from Razing beyond shaving a turn off of growth or a money, some way to leapfrog new armies a little faster especially late game, and making a newly spawned lord not immediately cause attrition.

SFO just released a big chaos patch and included a bunch of new mechanics like razing for a particular god like how Norsca does

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What I do for sieges is run everyone up to the walls and have my ranged units sit out of the firing angle of the towers, if you mouse over a tower you'll see a red outline of what it can shoot at and you just avoid the red.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What I do for sieges is run everyone up to the walls and have my ranged units sit out of the firing angle of the towers, if you mouse over a tower you'll see a red outline of what it can shoot at and you just avoid the red.

If there’s a forest to hide in or a spot the towers can’t hit I’ll hang out there until I destroy a tower, otherwise I do the same thing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

kidkissinger posted:

The people complaining about towers being OP are the kinds of players who set up in the corner of the map against the edges every time and generally play the game in the least fun way possible.

~different people find different things fun~

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Panfilo posted:

Unless you have a lot of artillery, limited tower range doesn't completely trivialize sieges because you'll run out of ammo AI some point and if their garrison has enough hardy units or guys out of LoS you'll still have to get your hands bloody regardless.

I’m speaking from experience here, arty + ranged infantry free from tower fire can mow down easily half or more of a garrison if you’re any elves, dwarfs, or empire.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

jerry seinfel posted:

Here is the best Warriors of Chaos mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159792156

It doesn't do anything you requested or address any of the points you brought up, but bald chaos warriors look dumb

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly, it's really annoying that cannons aren't able to shoot outward from a siege defense. Just making up something that would make them somewhat useful: just make it to where if you put a cannon on the floor next to a tower, the tower will use the cannon's ammo instead of its normal poo poo and shoot cannon projectiles.

As it is, I just have to cheese the poo poo out of them and have them pointed at the gate with two melee units flanking either ide of the gate entrance so that when they come in, the AI gets "Stuck" and my cannons can fire at will. It feels very, very cheesy and like not what they intended for cannons to do but honestly I don't know what cannons are supposed to do. Mortars, though, are perfect for siege defense.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I'm surprised people are so down on siege battles in this, it's the only Total War I've played where I didn't always either siege the enemy out or autoresolve. I only play on hard/hard but I've only ever lost 1 offensive siege (don't try to fight dwarfs with only zombies and skeletons) in 100+ hours even taking level 5 capitals with a single mid-tier stack. Towers are annoying but they aren't a threat, a single unit of Darkshards probably does more damage from the wall than all the towers on a map combined. The only thing towers are for really is to stop you from just sitting your 19 units of Lothern Sea Guard at max range and burying the enemy in arrows. It forces you to come up with a way to overcome the defences rather than just working around the AI instead bring 17 units of sea guard and 2 bolt throwers and knock down a tower before you bury the enemy in arrows.

Seriously though with the defender now being able to rout, siege towers actually being useful, artillery being good and flying units existing offensive sieges are really easy to me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Behold the king of fun, clairvoyant knower of total war playstyles

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The max walls upgraded towers can normally shred one tower, which means the enemy are going to have to climb that section and get all tuckered out.

The wizards you can get for the garrison needs a few more spells unlocked. It’s fine for some lores, a skaven engineer can poo poo out warp lightning to great effect, but some lores first spell aren’t quite as relevant.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The HE gate maps not letting you put artillery on the walls is probably the most egregious example. The top of those walls is incredibly wide - like twice the width of all other walls in the game - and there's absolutely no reason a few spots on them couldn't have been designated as able to place artillery there. That the garrison actually includes two bolt throwers - which are nigh worthless since you can't put them on the walls - just puts a huge focus on the issue.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

The HE gate maps not letting you put artillery on the walls is probably the most egregious example. The top of those walls is incredibly wide - like twice the width of all other walls in the game - and there's absolutely no reason a few spots on them couldn't have been designated as able to place artillery there. That the garrison actually includes two bolt throwers - which are nigh worthless since you can't put them on the walls - just puts a huge focus on the issue.
I haven’t been to Ulthuan in some time - are the gate battles still sieges where the attacker isn’t allowed to build siege weapons? That is the prime bullshit. Regarding the placement themselves I suppose it was thought they’d be too vulnerable without mobility. If they were fixed up there permanently they’d be slaughtered if you lost that section of wall, and if they’re mobile I imagine there might be some technical constraints to moving them on/off/along. Can you imagine the path finding oh god

Also, how do I witch hunter. I seem to be unable to effectively use them to kill enemy lords and heroes on the battlefield. Am I supposed to use them to shoot? The damage seems rather poor, and it’s far too hard to keep a line of sight when Grimgor is carving a path down the lines. You’re not obstructed mate the orc is ten feet tall

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 27, 2018

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Best way to fix Total War sieges is to remove them.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Witch hunters are best used when they can use their accuse ability over and over on lords or heroes to chip away at them while shooting at infantry. Their shots typically kill a unit each time they fire so over the course of a battle they can rack up some good value.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
I can heavily recommend mods that reduce the build time on siege equipment, I've had a lot more fun doing sieges when I can always build at least 2 sets of towers in a turn and then attacking, then again I've played more then a thousand hours total between TWW 1 and 2 so I can't stand sitting back and using artillery in sieges any more. Having tons of murderfilled maniacs pouring out of siege towers to assault settlements together with heroes and lords while monsters bash in the doors is just so much more satisfying.
Exception for when I play as Skaven, then I still enjoy doing sieges with 5+ plaugeclaws and 2+ warp lightning cannons and just wrecking the whole city with green death and warcrimes.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I want to make a mod for beastmen because I like their playstyle but horde mechanics are mostly terrible.

I'm thinking something like the following:
Ungor/gor/bestigore recruitment an innate part of the Warherd building.
Dug-Out->Pelt Totem building chain provides 20% upkeep reduction and recruitment ranks for ungor/gor/bestigore along with scaling growth.
Red tree for lords made competitive (Why are JR's T1 red skills so terrible?).
Blue tree rearranged so you can get growth sooner and improved to be on par with more modern blue trees.
Rebalancing the techs, including changing the +15 MA for ungor/gor tech (description is for Bestigores and Minotaurs, so I don't know what CA was thinking).
Adding Slugtongue to the vortex campaign as a wilds/death LL caster with regeneration, poison attacks, and an aura of death.

But I'd probably get sick of beastmen by the time I'm done making and testing it (which is what happened when I made a mod for dwarfs).

Is there already a decent mod for beastmen that I should just use instead?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I want to make a mod for beastmen because I like their playstyle but horde mechanics are mostly terrible.

I'm thinking something like the following:
Ungor/gor/bestigore recruitment an innate part of the Warherd building.
Dug-Out->Pelt Totem building chain provides 20% upkeep reduction and recruitment ranks for ungor/gor/bestigore along with scaling growth.
Red tree for lords made competitive (Why are JR's T1 red skills so terrible?).
Blue tree rearranged so you can get growth sooner and improved to be on par with more modern blue trees.
Rebalancing the techs, including changing the +15 MA for ungor/gor tech (description is for Bestigores and Minotaurs, so I don't know what CA was thinking).
Adding Slugtongue to the vortex campaign as a wilds/death LL caster with regeneration, poison attacks, and an aura of death.

But I'd probably get sick of beastmen by the time I'm done making and testing it (which is what happened when I made a mod for dwarfs).

Is there already a decent mod for beastmen that I should just use instead?

Welcome to radious

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

So i posted this on Warhammer 2's page on steam, referring back to the picture Amuys made (he posted his stuff on steam as well), and uh.. this is the response i got:

quote:

"That is not possible however due to how Lizardmen "reproduce" and by quote/ unquote I mean like they do not reproduce at all they get spawned by magical pools inside their cities
This sort of issue also occurs to the skaven as apparently all females become huge hormone filled mosntrosities although it could be argued that certain perks may come if the female is birthed with special characteristics such as horns and/or white/black colourred fur but hey that is up to debate the lizardmen cant escape from always being male"

:stare: W-whatever you say my friend.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 27, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

is that the guy taht figured out what that mass effect character smelled like due to chemistry

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been reading up on warhammer lore via a google drive with all the now-outdated sourcebooks and fluff (excluding black library, unfortunately) and various youtube videos and its staggering how many people have a truly in depth knowledge of skaven reproductive practices

it's odd, I played Warhammer 40k from like 2000-2017 sporadically and subscribed to white dwarf and stuff but was never once interested in WHFB until I picked up TW:W, which also reignited my interest in the TW series which had been killed stone dead by Rome II's launch

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My knowledge of Skaven is “cunning backstabby creative rats”.

I think it’s better to not look deeper.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I think it’s better to not look deeper.

That's the best way to approach GW stuff generally.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Coked-up steampunk treacherous ratmen that are also ninjas is as surface level as you need to appreciate Skaven.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Wall towers are already almost pathetically weak unless the town has multiple levels of wall upgrades. Oh no, a siege tower money shot the middle of my archer unit and killed like 5 guys! :toot: poo poo, even with multiple levels of wall upgrade, they're completely trivialized by any faction with artillery being able to set up in a corner and blow the one or two towers that actually can target you from that angle to smithereens, and most of the factions that don't have artillery either don't care about casualties(vampires) or can simply bumrush and take the walls with superior melee before taking significant tower fire(early Chaos, Norsca).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

How to use wall towers.

Fight outside the walls.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gejnor posted:

So i posted this on Warhammer 2's page on steam, referring back to the picture Amuys made (he posted his stuff on steam as well), and uh.. this is the response i got:

:stare: W-whatever you say my friend.

the joys of nerd culture. some rando says something offhand to fill a gap in their ninja backstabbing rats' lore, it is Holy Writ twenty years later

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
This has nothing to do with playing this game but my son is playing in the trampoline and hitting other kids with pillows and screaming "WARHAMMER!!!"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Luminous Cow posted:

This has nothing to do with playing this game but my son is playing in the trampoline and hitting other kids with pillows and screaming "WARHAMMER!!!"

For Khorne!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Luminous Cow posted:

You need to start teaching him proper battle cries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You can't say Khorne out loud without it sounding ridiculous.