Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

so....ios12 good?

I’m waiting for the nocebo “poo poo slow and killing my battery” posts

I know there’s not a date, but what’s the rough timeline to a public release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Public release should be September. I’ve encountered a few minor bugs so far but it seems fine overall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Public release is same time as new phones.

MacRumors will have still have articles saying "iPhone Users report battery drain, random freezing on iOS 12 update" regardless.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Public Beta 1 is pretty loving good. The vibrate on Touch ID is super annoying and I submitted feedback within 5 seconds for that. I had that disappearing icon bug thing but the invisible one reappeared after moving another app.

My iPad Air 2 was a stuttery piece of poo poo in iOS 11 but it honestly feels like a brand new iPad after putting 12 on it. I was blown away at how smooth everything ran.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh yeah, that Measure app is pretty garbage. It hasn’t gotten anything even close the few times I’ve tried it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Apple won’t sell another iPhone since iOS 12 will keep ancient phones working ~perfectly~ for many more years.

Short AAPL!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"No new iPhones!"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, that Measure app is pretty garbage. It hasn’t gotten anything even close the few times I’ve tried it.

Maybe there's a minimum size for it to work. Have you tried measuring someone else's penis?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iOS 12 is loving embarrassing imo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s worked for me on some instances. But it has to be like obvious poo poo with defined edges with clean background or surface to scan against (coasters, books).

My cat on the other hand is apparently 4 feet long.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s worked for me on some instances. But it has to be like obvious poo poo with defined edges with clean background or surface to scan against (coasters, books).

My cat on the other hand is apparently 4 feet long.

Longcat is long

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Are ya talking about the third-party measure app or the new stock measure app that's coming with iOS 12?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
On an iPhone 7 (single lens camera) the iOS 12 stock measure app definitely feels more accurate than that MeasureKit app did soon after launch.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I can't wait to read SA in AR

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Endless Mike posted:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

My wifes was randomly going black when the camera was covered (like it does when you put it next to your face while on a phone call). A hard reboot fixed it. Are you doing the real reboot.

1. Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.

2. Now press and quickly release the Volume Down button.

3. Finally, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.

?

Neat, I haven't had to try that on a X before. Did it and the glitches haven't come back.

And on that note installing the iOS 12 beta so when everything fucks up I won't be able to tell what broke it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Over There posted:

I can't wait to read SA in AR

It’s like the posts are coming right out of the goatass

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Endless Mike posted:

Its been pretty bad ever since they made album covers on the lock screen a tiny little loving thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As the lone podcast app beta tester, I report that continuous play is broken when streaming, which sets the app back to where it was a year ago.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

As the lone podcast app beta tester, I report that continuous play is broken when streaming, which sets the app back to where it was a year ago.

What if you queue it up with the 3D touch command?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you have an Apple Watch you may want to wait on this beta because mine’s connection to the phone is down hard.

Multiple reboots and I’ve managed to get to a stage where it’s trying to update to the latest (non-beta) WatchOS, but it’s already failed once and since when did an incremental watch OS update take up almost 300mb of space and take hours to download.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah, anyone who isn't a developer should not be installing betas on the watch imo. Hope you get it fixed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t install it on the watch. Dear Lord I’m not that dumb.

I was dumb enough to install it on my phone though. Oh yeah. I’m exactly that dumb.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Whew! Just checking.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've had no problems with my watch on os4 and iPhone on dev beta 2

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Any major app issues with public 1? Mainly things like bank apps and other essentials that suddenly crash on launch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The only app oddness I've noticed is that Strong won't kick off the companion mode on the watch (os4). That's about it. Everything else seems to just work.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Whew! Just checking.

There's no public beta of watchOS because the only way to restore it if something goes wrong is to take it to the Apple store!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
AirPods just took a bath in my washing machine. RIP.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haven't had any trouble with my WatchOS 4 Watch and iOS 12 public beta 1.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Vintersorg posted:

Its been pretty bad ever since they made album covers on the lock screen a tiny little loving thing.
Speaking of the bad lockscreen controls, do they still get pushed out of memory from so much as a light sneeze in iOS12?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I’m on the beta seed, but stuck on 11.4.1. :saddowns: how do I get this thing to pull the 12 beta?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:f5:ing this thread furiously waiting for the waze CarPlay update.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think they separate beta profiles by major release and you have to explicitly sign up for the iOS 12 beta.

Anyway it's at beta.apple.com

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’m a pretty boring user but 12 seems fine so far. Not a whole lot interesting I’ve run into. You couldn’t pay me to check out podcast.app again though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My Watch is finally paired again with my iOS 12 beta, but I had to restore it from scratch.

iOS 12 is pretty much a loving embarrassment in how little has changed. But then I tried to close out an app (the Apple Watch app because it kept hanging) and I couldn't figure out why hard pressing wasn't getting rid of it and OMG YOU CLOSE APPS WITH AN UPWARD SWIPE LIKE GOD INTENDED!

iOS 11 is dead. Long live iOS 12.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:f5:ing this thread furiously waiting for the waze CarPlay update.

would that even happen until they update the app, which they cannot do until it’s a public release?

So...like three months at best? or maybe I’m out of touch idk

Krispy Wafer posted:

OMG YOU CLOSE APPS WITH AN UPWARD SWIPE LIKE GOD INTENDED!

iOS 11 is dead. Long live iOS 12.

Big, if true

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Minidust posted:

Speaking of the bad lockscreen controls, do they still get pushed out of memory from so much as a light sneeze in iOS12?

Yupppppp.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krispy Wafer posted:

iOS 12 is pretty much a loving embarrassment in how little has changed.

Ssssshhhh. This is how we get IOS 7 (and 10/11)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iOS 12 good

No weird battery drain like every second version of 11