Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

SonicRulez posted:

I'm surprised that at the end of Season 2 of both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, there's been no interaction between the two. I guess the MCU versions aren't going down that road at all.

I want Luke/Jessica and I hate that they're dragging it out :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Or yet. And Danny is seeing Coleen, when he’ll eventually end up with Misty

This isn't a spoiler. And I really doubt the MCU is going to have Danny get with Misty. I think she is just way too far ahead of where he is in life, plus way too mature and has her poo poo together. Danny's still emotionally stunted, though we see he's getting better, and Colleen is on an even level with him because of all the poo poo Bakuto did to her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Codependent Poster posted:

This isn't a spoiler. And I really doubt the MCU is going to have Danny get with Misty. I think she is just way too far ahead of where he is in life, plus way too mature and has her poo poo together. Danny's still emotionally stunted, though we see he's getting better, and Colleen is on an even level with him because of all the poo poo Bakuto did to her.

Misty's also far and away my favorite character in the Luke Cage shows, and I'd hate to see her get entangled with Rand.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Misty definitely deserves to get hers though. I'm really tired of "strong black woman" who "doesn't need" a love interest.

Cut out Danny all together and give the people the Misty/Coleen pair up that we deserve tbh. If anyone deserves to be alone it's him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Koalas March posted:

Misty definitely deserves to get hers though. I'm really tired of "strong black woman" who "doesn't need" a love interest.

Cut out Danny all together and give the people the Misty/Coleen pair up that we deserve tbh. If anyone deserves to be alone it's him.

I think (Luke Cage s2 spoilers) I'm good with giving Danny a chance in Iron Fist season 2. He was pretty solid in the episode he had with Luke. I also don't want him and Misty hooking up, it wouldn't feel natural, and since I'm an Alias fanboy I've been angry about Luke and Claire since LC season 1. THE CHILD MUST BE BORN

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Koalas March posted:

Cut out Danny all together and give the people the Misty/Coleen pair up that we deserve tbh.

I've been rooting for Misty/Claire, personally. I thought they had wonderful chemistry in LCS1 and Defenders.

These shows could really use queer characters who aren't criminal assholes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I've been rooting for Misty/Claire, personally. I thought they had wonderful chemistry in LCS1 and Defenders.

These shows could really use queer characters who aren't criminal assholes.

I can get behind Misty/Claire for sure

And yeah JJ/LC needs to happen 🤷🏾‍♀️

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, finished Luke Cage S2. Thoughts:

This is a much more consistently good season than LCS1. There's no moment of everything dropping off a cliff in story quality or dramatically changing gears like LCS1 had, and it's pretty evenly good throughout. Cage himself still feels like the most wooden member of the cast, Misty Knight remains the absolute best character in the Luke Cage orbit.

The new characters were fine. Bushmaster was a solidly okay villain, it's transparently obvious that he's there so Luke Cage can have a physical equal for fist fights and fortunately, unlike Diamondback, he worked pretty well in the overall story. Tilda was good, but I was really hoping she wouldn't start falling into her Nightshade persona from the comics - I liked her moral ambiguity and was hoping she'd choose the side of good at the end.

Music was great, the use of Harlem's Paradise was a modern-day speakeasy was an inspired choice for season one and it's put to great use again here. One of Luke Cage's signature strengths relative to the other Marvel Netflix, in my opinion, has been its strong sense of place with Harlem. Marvel Harlem feels like a real community in a way that Hell's Kitchen does not, and events are always about how they affect Harlem, not just the individual heroes and villains.

I have mixed feelings about the show's portrayal of LGBT characters and issues. On the one hand, I liked that revealing a character to be queer was treated as a major humanizing element of the character and his love was completely sincere and not at all dismissed out of hand. On the other hand, just like Hogarth the character is still a certified rear end in a top hat and criminal like nearly everyone else on these shows. There's been a couple of queer characters in Marvel Netflix now, but none of them are remotely admirable or good people.

I think my feelings about the overall story and character directions in Luke Cage S2 are that they were well written, internally consistent, and well acted... but I didn't like most of them. This is a darker, grittier show than usual for Marvel Netflix, but not in the sense that there's a lot of violence or sexual trauma or whatever. Most characters in this show are in downward emotional and behavioral spirals, compromising and sacrificing their morals and ideals for what they believe has to be done. It is human, understandable, and banal darkness and corruption. This was a good show that for the most part I found fascinating yet unpleasant to watch. Bad people doing bad things, and good people starting to do bad things and turn into bad people because it seemed necessary.

I found Luke Cage S1 to be the median point of the Marvel Netflix shows, standing right on the line between the good ones and the bad ones. Season two, I'd put comfortably as one of the good entries in the franchise. Not one of the really good ones like Jessica Jones S1 or Punisher, but a significant improvement over the first season.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm very okay with Misty x Claire shipping

My hot take is that coming off the comics I was anticipating Luke and Jessica a lot but as time has gone on I couldn't care less if they get together in the show and in fact since they don't have anything to do with each other now I think it would take a lot of work to convince me those two have any reason to be together

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Power Man/Iron Fist duo-series as first gay crimefighting couple.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

adhuin posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

adhuin posted:

Those super hero names would take on an entirely different meaning.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

adhuin posted:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Omg is that Luke/Jessica's daughter or Danny/Misty? Either way she's adorable and deserves to be in the Netflix shows

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That's Danielle Cage. On reflection, Jessica must have been in a serious haze after giving birth to let Luke name their daughter after Danny.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
She recognizes and accepts their forbidden love

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
While still a gently caress up, but 616 Danny Rand is way more likable than Netflix Danny.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is there currently a Preacher thread for Season 3? I thought it started off pretty strong and the actors were good choices.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maybe in TVIV. We don't do individual show threads in BSS.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man, that’s out already? I have all of S2 on my dvr and haven’t even started yet

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Luke Cage S2 was solid the whole way through. It doesn't make any of the mistakes S1 and many other Marvel Netflix shows have made. I honestly didn't feel like it ran too long at all. In fact, I had to double check that I was watching the final episode because it felt like they could have gone further. The only downside is that it makes JJ S2 look that much worse.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hellcat was too good with stuff like this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

Man, that’s out already? I have all of S2 on my dvr and haven’t even started yet

It just started this Sunday. This season looks like it will be doing the Angelville arc while still doing some stuff with Eugene and even bonus Hitler as he's been added to the opening credits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nearly done with Luke Cage season 2, and it's really good and all, but I have a bit of an issue with how easily they let Luke's dad off the hook. The entirety of season 1 was about the damage the man caused with his anger and selfishness, but in this season it's played like it's just a father and son growing apart and needing to get over it. I'm not saying you can't redeem a character like that, but it all went a little too smoothly for my taste.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Nearly done with Luke Cage season 2, and it's really good and all, but I have a bit of an issue with how easily they let Luke's dad off the hook. The entirety of season 1 was about the damage the man caused with his anger and selfishness, but in this season it's played like it's just a father and son growing apart and needing to get over it. I'm not saying you can't redeem a character like that, but it all went a little too smoothly for my taste.

They basically did the same thing with Bushmaster. I think they tried a bit too hard to show people how hardcore he was for them to then try to flip him and make him sympathetic. I mean, he beheaded a business man that helped Mariah because of blackmail and that blackmail only happened because that girl, who was working for the Jamaicans the whole time, helped Mariah set it up as part of her cover.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I found myself sympathetic towards John :shrug:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The only Marvel Netflix bit I haven't watched yet is Punisher. I'm assuming it doesn't tie in to Luke Cage s2?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Little Mac posted:

The only Marvel Netflix bit I haven't watched yet is Punisher. I'm assuming it doesn't tie in to Luke Cage s2?

It doesn't really tie in to any of them, aside from Daredevil season 2 setting up where he is at the start.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Little Mac posted:

Also, just so you know, this isn't your stereotypical Punisher. The only petty criminals he kills in the show are people about to kill an innocent person right in front of him. The Punisher show basically casts Frank as the tormented lone ranger in a modern-day Western.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

His story is good and sympathetic, but the things he does prior to that story being told are like... pretty monstrous. See also Shooting up a church during service to send a message to Luke. He had very legit beef but he targeted some fairly innocent people. His uncle called him out on it, which is good, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he kept doing it until Luke saved his aunt after his family got massacred. I feel like the story missed a moment of realization for him that his uncle was right. Some sense of remorse or guilt.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 27, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Watching cage made me want to watch punisher again so I binged that the last couple days and my new hot take is that it's better than JJ s1 because I can actually watch it more than once

ToastyPotato posted:

His story is good and sympathetic, but the things he does prior to that story being told are like... pretty monstrous. See also Shooting up a church during service to send a message to Luke. He had very legit beef but he targeted some fairly innocent people. His uncle called him out on it, which is good, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he kept doing it until Luke saved his aunt after his family got massacred. I feel like the story missed a moment of realization for him that his uncle was right. Some sense of remorse or guilt.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong the show was very clear that he was willing to make himself a monster in pursuit of destroying mariah but also I think it did a pretty good job in making him sympathetic in that his backstory is such that he had Very Good Reasons for wanting the Stokes legacy burned at the stake

site fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 27, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It just started this Sunday. This season looks like it will be doing the Angelville arc while still doing some stuff with Eugene and even bonus Hitler as he's been added to the opening credits.

Having just watched s2 recently: he was in the opening credits last year too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Seth Rogan said he was going to be a character this season.

How was season two? I dipped out early in season 1 because it seemed like it was just meandering but I liked the main cast enough that I'd like to give it another shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

Yeah I dunno, I thought John's story was perfectly handled. They show us he's a force of nature, and then they tell us why. He never becomes a good guy or anything.

My other issue this season was with getting the same information too many times. Too many flashbacks to scenes we'd already seen, sometimes literally minutes before, too many instances of someone telling a story and then seeing that same story acted out in a later episode, too many people recapping events from season 1 to other characters. I get that audiences are stupid as poo poo and forget stuff between seasons and then complain online if they don't get a season recap, but god drat, there's a limit.

Still a very good season overall. I'm curious to see what happens in season 3. And hey, they finally managed to make Iron Fist kinda likeable!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

How was season two? I dipped out early in season 1 because it seemed like it was just meandering but I liked the main cast enough that I'd like to give it another shot.

Season 2 was also pretty meandering, but it was set in New Orleans and very very weird.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Bushmaster is a lot like Killmonger. Yes they were wronged. That is not reason enough to go as far as they did. I feel sorry for the characters, but they're still really bad people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I liked it fine but I binged it so you know that pacing and "meandering" isn't so bad when you aren't waiting week to week. The main cast is a good draw, they nailed Herr Starr and Joesph Gilgun as Cassidy may be the best casting choice of all time. I take it a lot of people are disappointed that they aren't doing the road trip from the comics, but I read it so long ago that I barely remember anything about it, so that's not a problem for me.

Everyone else around here seems to loving despise it though so maybe I'm an idiot who shouldn't be listened to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Herr Starr recruitment montage was fantastic.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Holy crap I haven't watched the show but looked up a picture and that is the perfect herr starr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Finally got around to watching The Defenders to prepare to watch Luke Cage S2, and it's terrible! By the end the inconsistent characterization, the threadbare budget, the Iron Fist, the haphazardly drawn bad guys, the fights between the same dudes that repeats every episode.....I was barely paying attn.

Is it still spoilered? In any case, the dragon bones thing still doesn't make sense and makes it clear that the writers were flying by the seat of their pants by the finale. What were the protaganist's arcs again? How'd they change? It's all so unclear, like the powers that be couldn't decide if this thing was gonna be gritty or high concept.

Just a bad taste in my mouth for this entire marvel TV thing. At least the, I think, 3rd episode at at the midland bldg was fun and light on its feet. Lol, an 8 ep show only had enough gas for 4.

e: onto the Punisher.