Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Glad Kennedy used his final term well in loving us as fast and hard as possible. :suicide:

Can't wait for the Dems to roll over and let the GOP fast track Scalia 2.0 but now 40 years younger before the midterms!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

There's no viable way forward besides court-packing in 2020.

Feels like this is going to become a fairly mainstream opinion. Scary times ahead!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Watch the republicans go for full broke and nominate a 1L from liberty university.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This is Trump’s opportunity to gently caress his base, though, now that he’s reached his confident “gently caress my advisors, WILDCARDS, BITCH!” stage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So Don Jr then?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Craptacular! posted:

Reminder that Kennedy was only “the swing vote” after O’Connor stopped being “the swing vote” etc. It’ll just keep happening.

:lol:

Trump's replacement for Kennedy is going to be as bad as Gorsuch, if not worse.

If Roy Moore were 40 years old he would likely be Kennedy's replacement.

Stutes posted:

Kennedy was already part of the bad 5; the vote split won’t change until RBG dies, it’s just locked in for another 40 years.

Kennedy is the only reason SSM is legal right now. If you don't think the challenges to overturn that decision haven't been plotted and held for Kennedy's retirement I have some bad news for you: ALEC is extremely good at what it does.

Unless Roberts or some other conservative would actually stick to the "SSM is the law of the land" thing, and they won't, then SSM is going to be overturned within the next few years and there's going to be a hell of a lot of anti-LGBT poo poo passed by the GOP because conservatives will eat it up and most Democrats and 'independents' won't actually care.

Reminder that if Hillary had won and Kennedy retired we'd either have a 6-3 non-fascist SCOTUS, or a 4-3 one.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 27, 2018

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I analyzed his pre-November 2017 list and decided that Joan Larsen would be the most likely nominee...not sure on the post-November 2017 list, but my gut tells me he goes with a woman.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I think I've expressed this elsewhere, but rolling back SSM and Roe V. Wade would be the quickest way to get the general public behind court packing. No guarantee they could do it, but still.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

I analyzed his pre-November 2017 list and decided that Joan Larsen would be the most likely nominee...not sure on the post-November 2017 list, but my gut tells me he goes with a woman.

Jeanine Pirro

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Evil has won

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I honestly think the GOP will gently caress this up and nominate a squish. With the election McConnell can’t slap down a Miers type incompetent or a potential Souter.

If Bannon were still around, maybe, or if the let my boy Stephen Miller pick him.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kennedy is the only reason SSM is legal right now. If you don't think the challenges to overturn that decision haven't been plotted and held for Kennedy's retirement I have some bad news for you: ALEC is extremely good at what it does.

I don’t think the Republicans will go there because it will cost them corporate benefactors. Companies with public relations departments that are just wrapping up their Pride campaign were formerly just fine denying gay people rights that never existed, but will be pushed to action if they’re supporting taking people’s rights away.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Finally Trump can get rid of Jeff sessions by making him a supreme Court Justice

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

I don’t think the Republicans will go there because it will cost them corporate benefactors. Companies with public relations departments that are just wrapping up their Pride campaign were formerly just fine denying gay people rights that never existed, but will be pushed to action if they’re supporting taking people’s rights away.

:allears:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Court packing was a bad idea when Roosevelt tried it and it's still a bad idea now. Republicans will win an election again, and once you ring that bell, you can't unring it. Actually, an amendment fixing the number of justices at 9 is a very good idea.

Better idea: don't rely on the courts to win policy victories. If your complaint is that same sex marriage is only legal because of a court ruling that might be reversed, you could always just pass laws in state legislatures instead?

(Reality: if that were overturned, it would still be legal in nearly every state at this point, and it would be a big vote winner for democrats too)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Court packing was a bad idea when Roosevelt tried it and it's still a bad idea now. Republicans will win an election again, and once you ring that bell, you can't unring it. Actually, an amendment fixing the number of justices at 9 is a very good idea.

Better idea: don't rely on the courts to win policy victories. If your complaint is that same sex marriage is only legal because of a court ruling that might be reversed, you could always just pass laws in state legislatures instead?

(Reality: if that were overturned, it would still be legal in nearly every state at this point, and it would be a big vote winner for democrats too)

No, because the Republicans on the court are all hosed up partisans and will find any non-conservative law to be unconstitutional on the flimsiest grounds. Without changing the makeup of the court to reduce the influence of these partisans, they're effectively a veto on any progressive legislation.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mortabis posted:

Republicans control most of the state legislatures and usually congress and even where they don't they are way more effective than the Democrats so pretty much the only hope for a lot of people's policies is the supreme Court

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mortabis posted:

you're dumb

the conservative majority is going to be rolling back policy victories based on the flimsiest of pretexts: democrats will not be able to pass policy wins of any sort without finding that somehow a $15 minimum wage violates the first amendment

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Syzygy Stardust posted:

I honestly think the GOP will gently caress this up and nominate a squish. With the election McConnell can’t slap down a Miers type incompetent or a potential Souter.

If Bannon were still around, maybe, or if the let my boy Stephen Miller pick him.

Trump literally has a list approved by the most far right legal 'scholars' the RNC has and he literally just said he was using that again

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mortabis posted:

no they won't and even if they did you just added 6 liberal justices.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well that’s not going to help the Canadian real estate bubbles.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

quote:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

The problem is state only recognition of same sex marriage doesn't help very much when everything involves interstate commerce.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Mortabis posted:

The Republicans on the court have stopped caring about things like legal precedent. They have started making up pretexts for whatever result they want, regardless of the underlying law. See the decision in Masterpiece Bakery and the decision in Trump v. Hawaii-- they cannot be read as anything but polar opposites as it comes to the bias of government officials, and they were a week apart.

The current SCOTUS does not care about the law anymore. It is controlled by wholesale partisans.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

sexpig by night posted:

Trump literally has a list approved by the most far right legal 'scholars' the RNC has and he literally just said he was using that again

Outstanding. :boom:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Craptacular! posted:

You think Trump and his insane nominees are constrained by "corporate benefactors"? That's cute but not true at all. These are true believers.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Among all this hysteria, it might be helpful to remember that Trump himself is very pro gay rights.

On another note, two guys on his list are in their 40s.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Mortabis posted:

Courts can overturn laws, you know.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

try 6-3 hellscape

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Among all this hysteria, it might be helpful to remember that Trump himself is very pro gay rights.

do a krauthammer.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Well that’s not going to help the Canadian real estate bubbles.

I laughed... then I cried.

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Syzygy Stardust posted:

oh you sweet summer child

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He's either trolling or an idiot and has been for a while. Best to ignore him.

Mortabis posted:

None of this matters when one side's entire attitude is 'gently caress the rules, gently caress tradition, and gently caress YOU'

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I can't get over the fact that Kennedy saw
- the election and the first 18 months of the Trump presidency, in general
- travel bans 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0
- children being held in cages

and decided to cap it out with Trump v. Hawaii, legitimizing gerrymandering, gutting public sector unions, calling California a totalitarian state for banning lying about whether a facility is a medical clinic, and finally giving a massive electoral boost to the Republicans by retiring right before a midterm.

Obergefell was an aberration. Kennedy should go down in history in the same footnote as the likes of Alito and Thomas.

Also, crossposting from Trump thread: it's gonna be wild when the court rules 5-4 in favour of Trump in Trump v. United States over something like the special counsel deposing him or subpoenaing him, and three of this five are going to be Trump nominees themselves.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I needed a laugh like that after all of this depressing poo poo today

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Peter Thiel should come back into consideration.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Sulphagnist posted:

and decided to cap it out with Trump v. Hawaii, legitimizing gerrymandering, gutting public sector unions, calling California a totalitarian state for banning lying about whether a facility is a medical clinic, and finally giving a massive electoral boost to the Republicans by retiring right before a midterm.

Obergefell was an aberration. Kennedy should go down in history in the same footnote as the likes of Alito and Thomas.

Well, what do you call it?

*drum roll*

The Libertarians!

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Mortabis posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about, the Court threw out Lochner precisely because of the court packing plan.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sulphagnist posted:

That’s unfair. Kennedy and Alito are poo poo to varying degrees, but Thomas is a top 5 Justice of all time.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Well, it’ll be fun to help dismantle the new Lochner era when I’m in my sixties I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Lemming posted:

No, because the Republicans on the court are all hosed up partisans and will find any non-conservative law to be unconstitutional on the flimsiest grounds. Without changing the makeup of the court to reduce the influence of these partisans, they're effectively a veto on any progressive legislation.

The liberals on the court are any better? Literally every one of Sotomeyer's dissents or opinions is a rant on the underlying policy with little to nothing on legality or constitutionality. Ginsberg is not far behind, though she at least tries to make a (stretched) legal argument on matters. Kagan and Kennedy and Roberts are the only ones who seem capable of evaluating the legal merits of their cases, and not just the effects their decisions will have on legislative or executive policy. The real loss with Kennedy is that he added some legitimacy and premise of neutrality to the institution; now it will turn more into an un-elected version of congress.

The problem with the Supreme Court is the same problem with the Presidency. Government is becoming more about absolute control of institutions and less about compromise. Most of what the goes before the Supreme Court are attempts to invalidate or create laws which should originate from the legislature. Most of what Trump and Obama previously did through executive action should have originated from the legislature. All that compromise is becoming too hard on everyone's ideals and unwillingness to negotiate with the enemy, so we try to attain absolute control over institutions that bypass the process.