Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're thinking of messing with saturation/vibrance ignore the main sliders and drop straight down to the HSL box. And only mess with the luminance sliders. Even then less is more.

Clarity is okay in small doses, like if you're going above +10 you screwed up. It's a convenient contrast boost if you just need a tiny oomph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Yeah, +10-ish seems like a reasonable limit.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
[PYF] LR Sliders: I love dehaze and sometimes it works magic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm surprised there hasn't been a rush of poo poo on Flickr with dehaze cranked to max like we got with clarity.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Pro tip: set dehaze to zero for that spooky fog effect! :eng101:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I dug up the photos as they came out of camera

Plus One Bonus shot

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

[PYF] LR Sliders: I love dehaze and sometimes it works magic.

I like dehaze for a bit of added midtone contrast, but it can sometimes add a colour cast. I find that dropping down to the H/S/L box and desaturating blues a little helps a lot. Also use split toning to warm images up rather than the temperature slider to avoid everything just turning orange.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have no idea how the blacks got crushed and highlights got blown on that same buffalo pic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snow and backlit subjects will do that.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I took it out the passenger window while we were driving so the settings werent that optimal. Also using a T6i so I probably don't have the dynamic range of a better camera.

Canon EOS Rebel T6i
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Apeture ƒ/5.0
Zoom 200.0 mm
Shutter 1/2000
Iso 1000

I was also not shooting in raw so I'm not sure I would have had much luck fixing it even if I had tried to game the exposure up or down.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thats a tough scene. You've got what looks like bright mid day sun, a bright background with a dark matte foreground subject, and snow (which is hard in the first place)

Shoot raw, dial your exposure down a bit so that your sky isn't blown out and then bring up the shadows (bison) in post.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Bisons, like many mammals, can have really black fur. And snow is basically the definition of white, it reflects visible light nearly perfectly with respect to the incoming spectrum of light. So having a 100% white area AND a 100% black area in the same photo (of bison on snow on a sunny day) is something I would consider quite good.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Minority opinion: I actually don't hate the bison photo. The colors and blown highlights make it look kind of like an old postcard or something. So maybe if you fiddle with it in post some more, you could try to push it more towards an overprocessed film look rather than "fixing" it. I like the composition, but you could also try to crop a bit to remove the sky. For some reason the sky bothers me a lot more than the snow. No idea if either of these ideas will work, but maybe worth a try.

But yeah, sunny snow is hard and you'll do yourself a favor to a) shoot RAW b) make sure you've got the playback setting that shows red or blinking on blown highlights so you can check quickly whether you need to dial exposure comp.

Guard Skunk on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't mind it either, it has a good composition. The bison aren't actually black blobs and have detail in the shadows so I bet by bringing the highlights down the snow can be tamed to be less eye destroying. Don't be afraid to -100 the highlights, then diddle with the whites and tone curve to avoid making the photo look underexposed.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The color temperature seems a little off in the bison photo, like it's too blue. Being able to tweak that is one of the most useful features about shooting raw.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Just got back from Alaska looking for some bears. Good news, they still have bears there! Here's a couple of them:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Minority opinion: I actually don't hate the bison photo.
I don't know if you guys are talking about the original overcooked image that was posted or the latest version. I like the latest version, but there is a very blue tint to it. Blown sky and snow is pretty hard to escape when your subject is that dark, especially when not shooting raw.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good job not getting mauled.

Alaska's population is so low because 90% of the people there die to bear or moose attacks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i love that wide shot of the bear. the composition and lighting really stand out to me. i didn't realize bears were so furry and fuzzy!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This picture is so goddamn cool.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

President Beep posted:

This picture is so goddamn cool.

I have never empty quoted before

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
uhh excuse me, blown highlights, crushed blacks, not perf-

Yeah I'd hang that on my wall in a goddamn instant. Nice shot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

Just got back from Alaska looking for some bears. Good news, they still have bears there! Here's a couple of them:

I don't know if you guys are talking about the original overcooked image that was posted or the latest version. I like the latest version, but there is a very blue tint to it. Blown sky and snow is pretty hard to escape when your subject is that dark, especially when not shooting raw.

Where did you go in Alaska? How did you get around? We've been thinking of heading up there to see birds and bears.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dakana posted:

uhh excuse me, blown highlights, crushed blacks, not perf-

What I want is a Thomas Kinkade painting, only in photograph form.

e: That bear should be sitting inside of a cozy cabin, drinking tea. Outside the window you can see a steam train passing by...

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I don't know where IJ went but IMO Lake Clark is the place to go if you can manage to sort it the logistics. It's way up near the top of my bucket list.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Where did you go in Alaska? How did you get around? We've been thinking of heading up there to see birds and bears.

The general rule in Alaska is you can either get to a spot with a normal city car, or take a bush plane. If it's near the coast there's probably a boat option.

A 4x4 really won't open much up.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The general rule in Alaska is you can either get to a spot with a normal city car, or take a bush plane. If it's near the coast there's probably a boat option.

A 4x4 really won't open much up.

You might not need it for clearance, but an SUV will generally have burlier tires so it's not the worst idea to get one if you're planning to go off the paved roads. Some of the gravel roads can be tough on tires.

Those bears shots are awesome.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

I don't know where IJ went but IMO Lake Clark is the place to go if you can manage to sort it the logistics. It's way up near the top of my bucket list.
This is indeed where I went. Specifically, Silver Salmon Creek Lodge (http://silversalmoncreek.com/). It's an ideal place to photograph bears because they come to the tidal flats at this time to eat the grass and go clamming, and they are around a lot of people so they basically ignore you and you get to see natural behaviours.

If you go I can't stress enough the importance of getting a good guide. Our guide was phenomenal in the sense that he understood where we needed to be for photo opportunities and he knew enough about bear behaviour to get us into shooting position for some incredible shots. Also, go for a few days at least. We got different stuff every day.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

2018-06-23_152538 by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

2018-06-23_152228 by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

2018-06-23_151117 by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
This is something different from what I usually shoot (which is sports):
Påfugl by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

why is that bird inside of a 90s TV hutch

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

InternetJunky posted:

This is indeed where I went. Specifically, Silver Salmon Creek Lodge (http://silversalmoncreek.com/). It's an ideal place to photograph bears because they come to the tidal flats at this time to eat the grass and go clamming, and they are around a lot of people so they basically ignore you and you get to see natural behaviours.

If you go I can't stress enough the importance of getting a good guide. Our guide was phenomenal in the sense that he understood where we needed to be for photo opportunities and he knew enough about bear behaviour to get us into shooting position for some incredible shots. Also, go for a few days at least. We got different stuff every day.
Where you with a personal guide or part of a organised group thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your sports photography background came out in the third one. Bird looks like it just scored a goal.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

Where you with a personal guide or part of a organised group thing?
I signed up as part of a small group, but even then you go out with a guide from the lodge, and they are in full control of everything to do regarding where you can go and how close you can get. I really want to go back, and if I do I'll just book directly through the lodge rather than as part of a group.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Jellyfish in the sea off Ko Lan.

IMG_5374.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5351.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5310.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Neat! Have you done underwater shooting before? Is it challenging?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
These weren't underwater, they were shot over the side of a boat from above the surface. I didn't have a CPL on my long lens so I just burst fired and deleted all the shots where the water reflections hosed up the clarity of the jellyfish.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Oh my word, that blue is amazing...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

These weren't underwater, they were shot over the side of a boat from above the surface. I didn't have a CPL on my long lens so I just burst fired and deleted all the shots where the water reflections hosed up the clarity of the jellyfish.

Oh, nice. I never would’ve thought you’d be able to get shots that clear just snapping at the surface.

e: Now that you mention it, I can kind of make out the surface undulations in shots two and three. That first shot is downright deceptive though.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 3, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Angry. Had the Canon 300 f/4 on the XH1, but hadn't adjusted the settings to show it, so the camera thought the 50mm was on. Makes a difference in how it sets the autoexposure/auto ISO. I think it may impact the IBIS, too. This bastard did not care that I was there.

Does Not Care I'm There by B. B., on Flickr

Gonna Have to Secure the Garbage Again by B. B., on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I wish these ladies liked lights more so I could get better pictures. :(

Hello by CM Yee, on Flickr

Nurse by CM Yee, on Flickr