Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

David Farrier, of Tickled fame, once joined an expedition looking for this. I think he was making a documentary about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
there are a lot of reasons that people become estranged from their families, not all of them involve abuse or homophobia or even the family being the primary bad guys, and the public does not have a right to know the identity (or the family) of a suicide victim who worked very hard to anonymize himself

chernobyl kinsman has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Jun 26, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Varkk posted:

David Farrier, of Tickled fame, once joined an expedition looking for this. I think he was making a documentary about it.

I think it’s totally possible the stories are exaggerated tales of a real thing. There’s lots of things we discover every year and there are not a lot of conservation / bio types running around Mongolia.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Varkk posted:

It’s sad as all poo poo that we spend so much time focusing on myths instead of real worms.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

there are a lot of reasons that people become estranged from their families, not all of them involve abuse or homophobia or even the family being the primary bad guys, and the public does not have a right to know the identity (or the family) of a suicide victim who worked very hard to anonymize himself

No poo poo, a lot of people in this thread being Reddit Detectives.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Yeah, this is one of my personal pet peeves. The "People's Right to Know." Unless you were personally involved, or it has a direct impact on your life, you do not have a right to know.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MightyJoe36 posted:

Yeah, this is one of my personal pet peeves. The "People's Right to Know." Unless you were personally involved, or it has a direct impact on your life, you do not have a right to know.

But that doesn't sate my curiosity.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Very accurate.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

SLOSifl posted:

It’s sad as all poo poo that we spend so much time focusing on myths instead of real worms.

Don’t be sad, just download Tinder like the rest of us.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Interesting website but I think I'm blind from that goddamned color scheme.

Web brutalism will save us from the blandness of modern UI aesthetics

https://www.imaginarycloud.com/blog/why-we-need-web-brutalism/

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I hate the term "web brutalism" so much. Those designs aren't brutalist. They're avant-garde, sure, but brutalism entails a rejection of affectation and ornamentation and if anything, those websites are over-designed and brimming with affectation. And that article details the history of architectural brutalism and then just totally discards it so it can justify the use of the term in modern web design. If we could hook Le Corbusier up to a turbine we could solve the world's energy problems.

The unnerving story is how much I care about this stupid term :v:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If anything, modern flat design embraces that poo poo already, and aside from a really neutral color palette, it's hard to see how they could go much further.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Ray Gun magazine, but it's the internet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Brutalism because I suck at art, but can draw cubes, so it makes me feel like I can be an architect.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I unironically like it for very specific purposes, but it's hard to see how to apply the same principles to web design short of going to a completely barren, black and white interface, with no attempt to be welcoming or friendly, but strictly optimized for maximum clarity.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Azathoth posted:

I unironically like it for very specific purposes, but it's hard to see how to apply the same principles to web design short of going to a completely barren, black and white interface, with no attempt to be welcoming or friendly, but strictly optimized for maximum clarity.

I think they have stuff like the interior of Aachen hospital in mind (which isn't Brutalist exactly but still)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniklinikum_Aachen#/media/File:Aachen_klinikum_innen.jpg

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

MightyJoe36 posted:

The freedom of information act and scores of similar state level laws disagree :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Caganer posted:

The freedom of information act and scores of similar state level laws disagree :shrug:

Those all deal with government documents and do not grant you the right to the details of a private citizen.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Proteus Jones posted:

Those all deal with government documents and do not grant you the right to the details of a private citizen.

They do if the private citizen was in public, relinquished their expectation of privacy, or so on. The relevant laws are about stalking and harassment, not privacy. That said, laws are bullshit.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Proteus Jones posted:

coroner's reports, detective's notes, court proceedings etc are all public records.

if it's generated by someone your tax dollars paid, it's a public record.

you know where they can't look over autopsy reports to verify the police's claims?

Russia :colbert:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's pretty unnerving that over the 250ish pages I read of this thread there were constant derails. Not unexpected though given it's SA. :v:

On topic, my favorite cryptids are Mothman and the Flatwoods Monster, maybe because they're up near my neck of the woods since I've lived in the mid-atlantic the vast majority of my life. also they aren't really scary once you look at the renditions of them

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Kitfox88 posted:

It's pretty unnerving that over the 250ish pages I read of this thread there were constant derails. Not unexpected though given it's SA. :v:

On topic, my favorite cryptids are Mothman and the Flatwoods Monster, maybe because they're up near my neck of the woods since I've lived in the mid-atlantic the vast majority of my life. also they aren't really scary once you look at the renditions of them

Flatwoods Monster haunted my dreams as a kid. As an adult, it's obvious the "it was a big owl on a tree limb" explanation makes so much sense when you look at the drawings.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's unnerving that people spend so much effort on things that don't exist.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

xtal posted:

They do if the private citizen was in public, relinquished their expectation of privacy, or so on. The relevant laws are about stalking and harassment, not privacy. That said, laws are bullshit.

That was my point. If you are a public figure, you pretty much don't have a private life. If I get arrested for something, you have a "legal" right to have access to the arrest report, and other public documents. You don't have a right to know any details about my private life separate from the details/circumstances of the arrest.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Whitlam posted:

She, I wasn't, and you came across as an aggressive dick.

Let us put this behind us and post our favourite cryptids. Mine is still Mokele-mbembe. I realise that lost dinosaurs are used by religious nuts to try and prove young Earth theory or whatever, but drat if I don't want to believe.
Also it's based on a badly outdated idea of how sauropod dinosaurs looked, acted, and lived :colbert:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/06/75f0f464cb3367/targeted_a_family_and_the_ques.html

an oregon school harassed an autistic kid to the point he basically dropped out because a teacher misheard something another student had said, all for the sake of covering their own rear end, and tried to couch it all as providing "support"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

MightyJoe36 posted:

If I get arrested for something, you have a "legal" right to have access to the arrest report, and other public documents.

I don't disagree with most of your post, but it's worth bearing in mind that pretty much all of this is gonna vary hugely depending on where you are.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Whitlam posted:

I don't disagree with most of your post, but it's worth bearing in mind that pretty much all of this is gonna vary hugely depending on where you are.

I'm particularly sympathetic to the family here, because there is no possible universe where their identities becoming public doesn't immediately lead to indefinite harrassment from internet weirdos, neverending requests for interviews, and absolutely all their dirty laundry being aired in public and coming up anytime a prospective employer or casual acquaintance googles their name.

Even if the reason Lyle broke contact is not embarrassing, they'd be subjected to a neverending series of cranks dead set on proving their "theory".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Azathoth posted:

I'm particularly sympathetic to the family here, because there is no possible universe where their identities becoming public doesn't immediately lead to indefinite harrassment from internet weirdos, neverending requests for interviews, and absolutely all their dirty laundry being aired in public and coming up anytime a prospective employer or casual acquaintance googles their name.

Even if the reason Lyle broke contact is not embarrassing, they'd be subjected to a neverending series of cranks dead set on proving their "theory".

Yeah, my question would be "what public good would be served in this particular case by releasing this information?"

I mean, sorry Internet Detectives don't the closure they think they need but tough poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's obvious that the family became estranged because of a disagreement over whether mashed potatoes should be lumpy or smooth.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:whitewater: posted:

Rising water levels have hampered efforts to reach 12 teens and their soccer coach who have been trapped in a cave in Thailand for four days.

Water levels are rising inside a cave in Thailand where 12 boys and their soccer coach have been missing for four days.

Large hoses and pumps are being used in the rescue effort at the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai province where Navy Seal divers say water levels are rising at a rate of 15cm per hour.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda told reporters on Wednesday that elite divers leading the search were seriously handicapped by muddy water that has filled some chambers of the large cave to the ceilings.

He said the divers can proceed only when enough water is pumped out so there is space between the water and the ceiling to make it safer to work.

The divers will also soon start using special oxygen tanks that provide longer diving times, he said.

The boys aged 11-16 have been missing since their 25-year-old coach took them to the cave complex on Saturday after a practice match. Officials have previously said they believe they are still alive.

Somkuan Saokeaw, a volunteer rescue worker who had just left the cave area where a diving team was operating, said they had worked through the night in the farthest chamber they could access.

The cave complex extends several kilometres and has wide chambers and narrow passageways with rocky outcrops and changes in elevation. But officials have said they are hopeful the boys found a safe space away from the floods.

Authorities have said footprints and handprints were found inside the cave complex, as well as other items thought to belong to the boys.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Speaking of families this was pretty :stare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Catsouras_photographs_controversy

quote:

Two CHP employees, Aaron Reich and Thomas O'Donnell, admitted to releasing the photographs in violation of CHP policy. O'Donnell later stated in interviews that he only sent the photos to his own e-mail account for viewing at a later time, while Reich stated that he had forwarded the pictures to four other people.[3] Catsouras' parents soon discovered the photographs posted online. The pictures had gained much attention, including a fake MySpace tribute website that actually contained links to the photographs.[3] People also anonymously e-mailed copies of the photos to the Catsouras family with misleading subject headers, in one case captioning the photo sent to the father with the words "Woohoo Daddy! Hey daddy, I'm still alive."[1] This led the Catsouras family to withdraw from Internet use and, concerned that their youngest daughter might be taunted with the photographs, to begin homeschooling her.[3]

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Homo sapiens are a plague that need to be scoured from the Earth.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Holy poo poo.

Would it be terrible to show my friend those pictures next time I catch him doing over 100 in farmland? We all refuse to ride with him because frankly he's going to end up dead or killing someone or both.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

What the gently caress

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Those photos were posted in GBS back in the day. It was a thread warning of the dangers of driving too aggressively.
Story attached said the driver had argued with her mother before stealing her father’s car. Then crashed in to the toll booth.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

fruit on the bottom posted:

What the gently caress

For real. Unnerving that anyone still hasn’t seen those pics a decade later.

Just wait until you meet Kirk Johnson.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I haven't seen those photos either. However I have seen photos of what happens to a man's skull if he stands in front of a jet fighter that's catapulted from an aircraft carrier.

I recommend not seeing those photos.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I had (and have had) a cocktail or feelings about that.

Like, that she did what she is ridiculously irresponsible of a kid to do that. Not only that, but as a parent, the idea of someone passing those photos around and/or taunting me and my younger kids fills me with this insane misery.

Lastly, I saw the pictures. Holy gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Ugh that’s one of my worst fears. I still feel a bit panicky reading about Mossdale even though I’ve read about it plenty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/what-lies-beneath-mossdale-caving-disaster-794268.html