Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i can't ensure random structures, really. i'm currently thinking about this by changing the basic crashlanded setup, hopefully in such a way that it isn't too goddamn onerous just to get anything done. the random one the game generated for me earlier, with a shitload of human meat and such, looks fun enough but it would be absolutely goddamn miserable to play. the trouble being there's actually not a shitload of ways i can kit out the initial landing so that feels good and also plays good. i'm sure i can figure it out, i just need to think about it some more.

a couple of things that spring immediately to mind:
- replace the weapons you start with powerful but absurdly impractical weapons, like miniguns and jade spears.
- add a lot of beer to the initial drop
- add smokeweed to the initial drop
- disallow the torch lamp building (darkness joke here)

feel free to suggest some other stuff and i'll see if i can adapt it

e: also, this actually will be B18 i guess because i can't find copies of EdB and the other mod i need that work in the beta. you will probably be able to get away with loading them in the beta i guess though

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Coolguye posted:

e: also, this actually will be B18 i guess because i can't find copies of EdB and the other mod i need that work in the beta. you will probably be able to get away with loading them in the beta i guess though

https://github.com/notfood/EdBPrepareCarefully

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i can't get that to work with the world pawn spawner i linked earlier, sadly

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

boar guy posted:

yeah my pet peeve is actually pawns that refuse to do any job. like i don't care if you're a 0 in construction, you still gotta help build them fucken walls

What you actually end up with might vary slightly from the original plan...

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Pawns that don't want to work get the job of being dummies for testing weapon effectiveness. Or bait. Either or.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Playing The Lost Tribe with CoC Cultist mod enabled and it's like a whole new game.

My third attempt at a colony is going pretty well, we have essentially built a castle with a massive cathedral to Dagon in the middle.

We haven't gotten too far down the tech tree- no electricity yet- but we've looted an armory of firearms from dumbass raiders who walked through our death field of wooden deadfall traps.

It's pretty wild how much replay value this game has. Still Loving it a few hundred hours in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There's no way I'm playing vanilla after I modbeasted my game out, but I am looking forward to stories of Grover the pawn with two flames and zero points in construction.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's pretty hard to step back from that, yeah. I'm looking forward to about a month from now when all the good mods are updated, in 64 bit mode and with all the really nice poo poo now integrated in vanilla.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

alright i'm gonna finish up a scenario and savegame for people to roll with today

i am taking suggestions for goon pawns now. feel free to suggest yourself. the initial 3 pawns at least right now are going to be lowtax, jeffk, and lenord j crabs, since i can cover a good subsection of skills with those 3 and it doesn't feel completely self-indulgent or favoritist to people i know and like on the website.

since i'm using Prepare Carefully you can be as specific or vague as you please when suggesting your character. if you provide no clues on something i'm probably going to roll the dice until i see something that looks good. if you ask for full on 10-everything omnicompetence i'm probably going to monkey's paw you somehow. mechanically, again note that we will all be sons and daughters of lowtax so we don't get cleaned up by the garbage collector. other familial relationships are fine but that's one that everyone will have.

as an example,

quote:

Don't care about the name but Coolguy for the nickname. Bald for hair. Industrious trait, and good at crafting.

Will potentially get you:

because in this case the rolls decided I should have 3 traits, one has to be taken up by "spawns in world", and another is the requested industrious. the third happened to be that i'm ugly as gently caress. oh well. we got good at crafting after some twiddling with backgrounds, and i did a quick pass over to make sure there were no fatal flaws. refusing to do plant work is a little annoying but ultimately ok.

but trying to lawyer me and cover all of your bases like so:

quote:

Coolguy for the name, bald for hair, industrious and jogger for traits, good at at least crafting, cooking, and medicine with no incapabilities, no injuries, 35 years old

will probably get you something like:

because addictions aren't technically injuries. yeah, that's a great pawn now. good goddamn luck getting someone to put up with your rear end long enough to dry you out, though.

if you really do spend a long time truly covering every base like this is a contract negotiation i'm probably going to just hit random a half dozen times and give you what the dice give you, regardless of how lovely that is. basically, we should take for granted that i am not going to intentionally ruin a pawn, or allow the dice to ruin a pawn, unless i feel like someone's going all power fantasy on this silly little game of ours. i refuse to let someone be incapable of a ton of dumb labor, roll pyro or psychopath, spawn with a luci need, or any other poo poo like that (unless you ask for it). there's plenty of that in the game as is. so we can just be chill with this and hit the highlights.

i'll be taking entries for a day or so since this thread isn't huge, and then i'll upload the savegame. if this little experiment goes well and we have a couple people excited about telling the stories, i'll port the idea over to GBS and make a proper thread out of it. :)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 27, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I demand that you make me the worst possible colonist so that I become blight upon whatever societies I happen to roll in on.

Pyromaniac, no dumb labor, no skilled labor and with no passions in art or medicine (I think that's all that's left?)

If I'm not a hat in at least one game, I will be supremely disappointed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I demand that you make me the worst possible colonist so that I become blight upon whatever societies I happen to roll in on.

Pyromaniac, no dumb labor, no skilled labor and with no passions in art or medicine (I think that's all that's left?)

If I'm not a hat in at least one game, I will be supremely disappointed.

CAN DO MY GUY

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I just want to be a pawn (Lprsti99 for the nickname) that has mental breaks at the drop of a hat. I don't remember what the most effective combo would be, but something like Depressive/Neurotic or whatever, good at animal training and shooting.

Note this is only because Keeshhound already laid claim to The Worst Pawn.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 27, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Volitile is the worst, I think. I don't know if it stacks with the neurotic traits or not.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

all lowered mental break stuff stacks. very neurotic is actually an interesting tradeoff there because it also increases GWS so some naive soul might be tempted to say "i can...i can work with this."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
For a +40% I will absolutely work with an increased break chance.

You just have to ferry them along until you can shove a paperclip into their pleasure center, anyway.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Danaru, a fat, staggeringly ugly, iron willed cannibal with two flames and decent competency in melee and cooking :chef:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Bleeding heart, Too Smart, passion for shooting, interest in cooking, research, and medicine. Old torso scar, addicted to ambrosia.

Edit: for fewer traits

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 27, 2018

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

so can I be a pawn please?

nickname TorakFade, male, age range 30-40, nudist trait. I'm not wearing no human leather pants or shirt, no sir (hats are cool and good).

As for stats and passions, eh, just don't make me totally useless and it'll be fine! I'd prefer shooting rather than melee if I actually wind up having a combat skill, but it's not a requirement.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 27, 2018

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you can name me Boar and give me a smokeleaf addiction and make me psychically hypersensitive :tipshat: ( i realize it won't be exactly this)

(edited)

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 27, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm zedprime and I will live as I post: 100% rng generated white noise.

Have you considered making some people sons of Lowtax, some sons of Fragmaster and some sons of Leonard so that there can be sectarian fights when they inevitably fall out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Y’all I can only fit in two traits for you since one of them has to be “spawns in world”. You can edit your posts or I can use my best judgement when I sit down to make these.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

zedprime posted:

I'm zedprime and I will live as I post: 100% rng generated white noise.

Have you considered making some people sons of Lowtax, some sons of Fragmaster and some sons of Leonard so that there can be sectarian fights when they inevitably fall out.

I considered this but LJC is not is real person so it’s difficult for me to ascribe surrounding context so it makes visceral sense if you’re a kid of lowtax or whoever. My time on the forums is all post Fragmaster too so I dunno what kind of cat he is.

Also that’d all be for flavor anyway since it’s not like I can actually make those things in short of making everyone ex lovers or something. It’s sorta like Grover being 0 construction...well that’s not actually super helpful since particularly if I give him flames he will be good at it eventually, which isn’t really the point. It’d be funnier to make him incapable of construction I think.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

More Traits Mod.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i really would prefer to keep the list of mods to an absolute minimum.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coolguye posted:

If you have to have one mod, it's psychology, I want to see goon elections.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

part of the point of wanting as few mods as possible is to allow people to add mods in-flight like that. iirc psychology can be added to a game without it and it mostly works.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Makes sense, because if there was a 4th trait allowed, I was going to put abrasive.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Makes sense, because if there was a 4th trait allowed, I was going to put abrasive.

not Annoying Voice?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'd like to be a pawn. Call it Toxic. Uh...I like cooking, crafting, and intellectual. Social skill should be zero. For traits how about night owl and neurotic.

Incapable of social is probably better and abrasive would be an appropriate trait too. Really I just like the idea if being the irritable guy that makes stuff but just wants you to go away and leave him alone.

The worst pawn was already taken so I have to go for useful but frustrating like why do I put up with this pawn?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Words words words.

Just post it, don't spend a ton of time trying to perfect it. Consider it a rough draft and see what happens, then tweak the next revision.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

Just post it, don't spend a ton of time trying to perfect it. Consider it a rough draft and see what happens, then tweak the next revision.

pretty sure that's what i'm doing homeslice

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

GodspeedSphere posted:

let the man work

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Will Lowtax have a Bionic Spine?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Archenteron posted:

I think that's the end game goal.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

pretty sure that's what i'm doing homeslice

Hey did we ever play Ark on Xbox?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

Hey did we ever play Ark on Xbox?

afraid not! i never played ark.

Archenteron posted:

i'll be putting Bad Back on him, which you can fix with a bionic spine

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
No one fix that loving spine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

making stuff now. i'll keep posting in this thread as i make people.

lowtax is generally omnicompetent, but doesn't have a fancy name because all the ones that give him 'lord' or 'boss' or something disable something important. the best thing was crime boss, which gave him 'boss', but disabled his Animals - lowtax is actually a good dog trainer IRL so making him incapable of animals seemed wrong.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 28, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

again, i feel like the compromise on having "JeffK, Computer" was worth him not being able to do an art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

L C J is not a lawyer because all of the lawyer careers disable a ton of labors. i feel "entrepreneur" still hits the best highlights there.