Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Ahahaha when you're that stupid you deserve all the bad things coming your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I thought it was a red flag when someone shares all their social media passwords with their partner of a week.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

$230k of student loans sounds like an amount you may want to consider emigrating over. They can't realistically go after her in Australia, and as long as we don't bring back debtors prisons she should be able to visit. But probably forget about US residency for a while.

I love the historical irony of someone escaping debt by going to Australia. It would only be better if she were English and not American but close enough.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

$230k of student loans sounds like an amount you may want to consider emigrating over. They can't realistically go after her in Australia, and as long as we don't bring back debtors prisons she should be able to visit. But probably forget about US residency for a while.

Too bad Australia is headed for a recession at this point, and with a housing bubble that just kept inflating when US and Europe had theirs pop. It is gonna be a pretty bad crash when it happens, and I would guess the any significant correction in the market will be enough to trigger it with that housing market.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

hahahaha you american fuckers are starting to crop up in other places after fleeing your country:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AusFinance/comments/8u0e1l/just_found_out_my_28_year_old_american_girlfriend/

someone did the math:
I personally pay 18k/year in rent and that's considered cheap.

I think I remember reading a long form article sometime in the past few years about Americans who had emigrated to other countries to escape their huge US student loan debt. They were all much happier and were never considering paying it back or coming back to the US, so GWM?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Cacafuego posted:

I think I remember reading a long form article sometime in the past few years about Americans who had emigrated to other countries to escape their huge US student loan debt. They were all much happier and were never considering paying it back or coming back to the US, so GWM?

In the comments he says her dad co-signed her loans so if she stops paying her dad's credit is ruined :thumbsup:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Something to look forward to

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Ebola Roulette posted:

In the comments he says her dad co-signed her loans so if she stops paying her dad's credit is ruined :thumbsup:

Worse than that, they can (and do) sue the cosigner and get a wage garnishment, etc. on them.

If she has a cosigner in the US and she stays in a country where it's difficult/expensive to sue her personally that is almost certainly what will happen.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But you can set your own hours! Be your own boss!

Irrelevant to the current conversation but I want you to know that I read this as "set your own horse"

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

Cacafuego posted:

How are they actually doing that though? Whenever someone brings up emigrating in other threads, someone always points out that most other countries are a lot harder to immigrate to than the US. Are they just living in their new country illegally? That seems kind of BWM/BWL.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Future Wax posted:

How are they actually doing that though? Whenever someone brings up emigrating in other threads, someone always points out that most other countries are a lot harder to immigrate to than the US. Are they just living in their new country illegally? That seems kind of BWM/BWL.

Betting the conversation with his American girlfriend came up in the context of getting married at some point, which is a time-honored way to do it most places.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Something to look forward to

Easy money playing short until Bitcoin go to zero.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

ChickenWing posted:

Irrelevant to the current conversation but I want you to know that I read this as "set your own horse"

saw the word Hours today

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hours chat is nigh again. Buy now, sell way (in the future)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The thread has established that if you make $100k or more, you are rich
Unless you make $117k or less and live in the SF bay, then you are poor and may qualify for low income housing.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/06/26/hud-117000-low-income-san-mateo-san-francisco-marin/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

canyoneer posted:

Unless you make $117k or less and live in the SF bay, then you are poor and may qualify for low income housing.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/06/26/hud-117000-low-income-san-mateo-san-francisco-marin/

Saw this, did a hearty lol.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

canyoneer posted:

$117k per household. All the non-millionaire single-earners in the Bay were rendered homeless years ago.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Saw this, did a hearty lol.

It's accurate, families need more than 1 bedroom.

Renting in SF is BWM, owning in SF is GWM because houses only go up in value.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
From the article:

"The state is pressuring local governments to impose “inclusion rules” that would require some units in all new development be affordable."

They imposed this in my hometown (Portland, OR). From 2012 through 2016, we were seeing about 3,000 new apartment units go through the permit application process per year. As of February 2017, when the law went into effect, we've seen approximately 180 apartment units. Again, that's

2012 - 3,000 new apartment units
2013 - 3,000
2014 - 3,000
2015 - 3,000
2016 - 3,000
2017 - 180
2018 - 0

Builders go where they can build cheap and rent high. They're just going to other cities instead, so we're dealing with a huge shortage of housing and absolutely skyrocketing rents.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GPS does at times provide poo poo directions in rural areas

Makes sense. Rural areas are poo poo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From the article:

"The state is pressuring local governments to impose “inclusion rules” that would require some units in all new development be affordable."

They imposed this in my hometown (Portland, OR). From 2012 through 2016, we were seeing about 3,000 new apartment units go through the permit application process per year. As of February 2017, when the law went into effect, we've seen approximately 180 apartment units. Again, that's

2013 - 3,000
2014 - 3,000
2015 - 3,000
2016 - 3,000
2017 - 180
2018 - 0

Builders go where they can build cheap and rent high. They're just going to other cities instead, so we're dealing with a huge shortage of housing and absolutely skyrocketing rents.
Can you source this? I'm a land use/housing nerd.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Future Wax posted:

Ironically the degree they’re leaving the country to avoid paying for makes them a more attractive immigrant. But they’re probably sleeping with a citizen.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I had a meeting with a coworker this afternoon and he came in looking distressed. He told me that when he started at our company he set his 401k to the maximum contribution, but apparently the paperwork was never processed. He only found out today -- 3 years later! -- when HR sent a note out to all employees who aren't enrolled.

I guess he never looked at his paycheck, or tried to check his account, or filed taxes... I mean how could you miss that for 3 years??

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From the article:

2013 - 3,000
2014 - 3,000
2015 - 3,000
2016 - 3,000
2017 - 180
2018 - 0

Isn't half the problem in the Bay Area a combination of NIMBYs who don't want new construction near them(because they don't want apartments 'ruining their view' or letting less wealthy people live near them/they want to keep their property value high to sell later/etc) and Prop 13 seriously distorting their housing market?

I doubt much of anything will help until they fix either of those two factors.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Visiting family in Denver I was surprised that rules against ruining people’s views exist and furthermore are actually enforced.

Like my brother-in-law’s brother managed to keep a weed dispensary from adding on an extra floor because it’d block his view of a lake.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Haifisch posted:

Isn't half the problem in the Bay Area a combination of NIMBYs who don't want new construction near them(because they don't want apartments 'ruining their view' or letting less wealthy people live near them/they want to keep their property value high to sell later/etc) and Prop 13 seriously distorting their housing market?

I doubt much of anything will help until they fix either of those two factors.

There are a multitude of problems, and you're right, the biggest is probably that all the rich homeowners in these bedroom communities fight tooth and nail against any development. Like in Cupertino, there's a plan to tear down the ancient, abandoned mall and replace it with housing. The fuckers show up and fight it every step of the way. Theyve already got their houses (oftentimes 2 or 3 for that generation) so why would they let the town build apartments in their beautiful company town? Apartments bring down property values. appartments attract poors. Apartment occasionally cast shadows over the herb garden in the backyard of their second home. Boomers gonna boom.

There are also a bunch of arbitrary density, height, and yes, view blocking restrictions in place, because again, these bedroom enclaves are run by and for the most wealthy local residents.

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013
There was a reddit post about this a while ago, but there's a ton of regulations that just make it uneconomical to build there as well. Not even NIMBY stuff. Things like "2 parking spots per unit" type things.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s all NIMBY stuff.

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

That’s all NIMBY stuff.

Here it is. It's a mix of state and local rules, so not purely NIMBY like people like to say. It as for LA and not bay area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngeles/comments/6lvwh4/im_an_architect_in_la_specializing_in_multifamily/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

keroppl posted:

Here it is. It's a mix of state and local rules, so not purely NIMBY like people like to say. It as for LA and not bay area.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LosAngeles/comments/6lvwh4/im_an_architect_in_la_specializing_in_multifamily/

Backdoor caps on density (like parking requirements) are another way of saying NIMBY. Just because the regulation was passed at the state level doesn't make the motivation different.

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Backdoor caps on density (like parking requirements) are another way of saying NIMBY. Just because the regulation was passed at the state level doesn't make the motivation different.

Okay nevermind you have all made up your mind with your extensive real estate experience.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cicero posted:

Can you source this? I'm a land use/housing nerd.

I found an article from the Oregonian: https://www.oregonlive.com/front-porch/index.ssf/2018/02/apartment_construction_is_dryi.html

I wonder if Seattle will see decreased apartment construction soon. I don’t think there have been any comparable housing laws passed, but new buildings have been going up like crazy. There was a recent article about how downtown apartment vacancy is at 25%: https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...nters-freebies/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

keroppl posted:

Local rules can virtually always supersede, through reclassification if nothing else. It doesn’t happen because of NIMBY control of local government in that area. I watched campaign after campaign fall when I lived in the thick of it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

keroppl posted:

Okay nevermind you have all made up your mind with your extensive real estate experience.

Or we can consider that urban planners have something meaningful to say when there's a consensus that zoning parking requirements generally need updating. What are the people who are fighting against this motivated by except artificially keeping down density?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From the article:

2013 - 3,000
2014 - 3,000
2015 - 3,000
2016 - 3,000
2017 - 180
2018 - 0

Holy crap.

"Yes, the way to encourage developers to build more units is to make it harder for developers to make money" said nobody with the barest inkling about economics, ever.

Of course they did this in Portland and are thinking about it in SF.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Bay area traffic is already horrendous anyways. Can't fit any more people.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Density makes public transportation work really well. Population density of Tokyo is something like 15 times higher then the bay area, traffic's better, not 15 times worse.

https://www.numbeo.com/traffic/in/Tokyo
https://www.numbeo.com/traffic/in/San-Francisco

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Public transportation? Like the goddamn bus? NIMBY.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Phanatic posted:

Holy crap.

"Yes, the way to encourage developers to build more units is to make it harder for developers to make money" said nobody with the barest inkling about economics, ever.

Of course they did this in Portland and are thinking about it in SF.

It’s really amusing to watch these people go through contortions to explain why housing prices in booming areas are so high without invoking market economics. They sound like doctors in the Middle Ages who were trying to understand illnesses before the germ theory of disease. It is really stupid.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

potatoducks posted:

Bay area traffic is already horrendous anyways. Can't fit any more people.

It's because 99% of the place is built like a lovely sprawling suburb. Palo Alto is a financial and tech hub and all of the residents want it to look like a tiny little community forever. Incredibly, the same goes for much of SF--downtown is tiny, and outside of that contained area it's pretty much 2-3 story townhouses repeating forever. People LOVE the lovely aesthetics of endless townhouses for whatever reason and will cut you if you suggest that maybe the city needs real apartment buildings rather than lovely mcmansions that have been subdivided 12 times. So everyone is driving further than they need to, oftentimes from waaaay outside of town, especially for blue collar jobs.

There are a bunch of huge, lurking issues with residential development that haven't been addressed, too. Office and commercial space provides a much better tax base in CA because our property taxes are hosed. Also, new developments are at a big competitive disadvantage over old ones due to Prop 13. There's not much incentive to increase the density of a complex by, e.g., selling it to a new developer when the new guy would be paying 50x what you currently pay in property tax.

The good public school districts are also basically turf over which the wealthy fight. They want to keep newcomers out of their district by any means, especially the sort of folks they imagine would live in apartments.