Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Koirhor posted:

Ya those third rows are always cramped the pacifica would be the next thing to look at if we had that many kids

My kids are 2/4/10/16, and it's probably been a month or two since all of us + mom all went somewhere at the same time that was more than 10 minutes from the house. It's even more rare that it's myself and the 4 of them crammed into my CMax, so while a huge third row isn't really a must-have, it would be nice to have A third row for the times we all go somewhere together.

We had a Flex for a couple of years and it was handy with the kids (3 of them at the time) but that third row got pretty limited use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

canyoneer posted:

I would really dig an electric minivan but no way am I about to shell out $40k for a Chrysler

the PHEV Pacifica is almost good enough that you can ignore the fact that it's a Chryler

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is someone genuinely going to buy a Mitsu in TYOOL 2018?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EVs can never be cool because they don't make any sound.

https://twitter.com/Motion_Motoring/status/1010975621600514048

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That VW broke the all time record by like 13 seconds too

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is someone genuinely going to buy a Mitsu in TYOOL 2018?

Well I will readily admit it did seem to be the only vehicle worth purchasing from their entire lineup, it's genuinely good imo.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the PHEV Pacifica is almost good enough that you can ignore the fact that it's a Chryler

This is true, yeah. If Honda or Toyota made the Pacifica it'd be earning a shitload more press than it gets now. The Pacifica team has to be incredibly frustrated to be a part of Chrysler at this point because there's honest talent there and they know they're dead in the water.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Toyota sells a hybrid Highlander which is just a Sienna with a dumb SUV style body on it. I don't know why they don't sell a hybrid mini.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Ripoff posted:

This is true, yeah. If Honda or Toyota made the Pacifica it'd be earning a shitload more press than it gets now. The Pacifica team has to be incredibly frustrated to be a part of Chrysler at this point because there's honest talent there and they know they're dead in the water.

Yeahhhh... I rented a Pacifica multiple times and it is by far one of the nicest cars I’ve driven.

And it’s a van. And I’m not a dad. It really is that nice.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Ola posted:

EVs can never be cool because they don't make any sound.

https://twitter.com/Motion_Motoring/status/1010975621600514048

That sounds awesome. Reminds me of when F1 went to the turbocharged V6s and got a lot quieter, and everyone was crying about it. I remember watching the first race of the season on TV and my mates and I all looked at each other in unison as we realised that we just heard tyres squealing as the cars went around corners, which you would never have heard before. Engines sound cool, but people who think that we won’t hear other cool stuff with electric powerplants (whether the electric motors themselves or other things like this aero noise) are dumb.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ripoff posted:

Minivans are pretty much their thing they do well. Caravans/T&Cs, Odessys, and Siennas drove literally everyone else out of the market, and constantly traded awards and best-buy recommendations for like 2 decades .

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Well I will readily admit it did seem to be the only vehicle worth purchasing from their entire lineup, it's genuinely good imo.

The new Outlander is really slick. Have you considered the PHEV Niro?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Speleothing posted:

Minivans are pretty much their thing they do well. Caravans/T&Cs, Odessys, and Siennas drove literally everyone else out of the market, and constantly traded awards and best-buy recommendations for like 2 decades .

If only GM had stuck to their guns....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Major revision on the tesla 3 configurator.

White/Red paint increased to a $1.5k upcharge
AWD/P open to all who can configure
AWD $5k->$4k
P now starts at $64k, decoupled the upgrades from the base price.
P $5k for the 20" wheels/spoiler/etc upgrade
P white interior $1.5k
FSD is now $3k at config / $5k after delivery
Price decrease is retroactive for those who already ordered a P
If you already configed an AWD you can reconfig

AWD config I want went from $60k to 59, but the P is only $11k more...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If only GM had stuck to their guns....

I just had a waking dream that GM built this, and then felt the need to compete with the AMG R63, and they put an LS7 in that.

:black101:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The production Dustbusters were actually fairly close styling wise to the concept.

Easily one of the absolute worst cars ever made.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The production Dustbusters were actually fairly close styling wise to the concept.

And they lacked every good thing from the concept. THAT STANCE.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
So is Audi actually making a regular electric a4 sedan in the us? I'm having a hard time finding stuff about that

Nov 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It was the the Cadillac of Minivans! :argh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It was the the Cadillac of Minivans! :argh:

in the vein of the Cimmaron and Allante, sure

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Don’t forget the Catera.

The Caddy that zigs!

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 28, 2018

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Stefan Prodan posted:

So is Audi actually making a regular electric a4 sedan in the us? I'm having a hard time finding stuff about that

No. The first proper Audi BEV will be the e-tron, a midsize SUV.

Nov 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mohoyRj_VpU

Nov 6, 2002

eyebeem posted:

Don’t forget the Caterra.

The Caddy that zigs!

h-o-l-y f-u-c-k

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/bc/rtmp_uds/1418450360/2013/04/11/1418450360_2293802720001_Cadillac-advert.mp4

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
[quote="“Jiminy Christmas! Shoes!”" post="“485544206”"]
h-o-l-y f-u-c-k

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/bc/rtmp_uds/1418450360/2013/04/11/1418450360_2293802720001_Cadillac-advert.mp4
[/quote]

Against the advice of most of us, my grandmother bought a Catera when they came out (replacing her incredible 380SL welp). They mailed her a plushie of that dumb bird about a year later, which she kept on the dash.

That car sucked.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Gotta love that era of GM marketing which went out of it's way to imply that their other cars were hot garbage.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember digging the Volvo ad for the, I think S60, that started with a wood block on wheels and a voiceover like "if this is what you think of when you hear Volvo..."

stevewm
May 10, 2005
2019 Volt announced with a few changes.. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/06/2019-chevrolet-volt-gains-charging-updates-new-technology/

7.2kW optional charger. ( Probably ripped right out of the Bolt, wonder if it can be retrofitted to 16/17/18 models...)

Available power seat, driver side only

Qi charger pad moved to the cubby in front of the shifter.

Backup camera upgraded to digital/HD.

Ability to effectively disable ERDTT.

And some software tweaks they could and should provide to the older gen 2 models.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe they can't do it in a refresh, but it's a little disappointing to not have SuperCruise.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Agronox posted:

Maybe they can't do it in a refresh, but it's a little disappointing to not have SuperCruise.

It sounds like GM is planning to massively expand its Supercruise offering in 2020:

https://electrek.co/2018/06/06/cadillac-super-cruise-expansion-review/

And for what it's worth, the Bolt has been used extensively in GM's autonomous driving research.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stevewm posted:

And some software tweaks they could and should provide to the older gen 2 models.

...And won’t.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

You can now give Tesla another $2500 to order a model 3, but they won't tell you when it'll be delivered and your deposit is non-refundable.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/tesla-model-3-orders-cost-2500-more.html

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Gamesguy posted:

You can now give Tesla another $2500 to order a model 3, but they won't tell you when it'll be delivered and your deposit is non-refundable.

Don't worry, you will hear details next year on how you can make money by turning your Tesla into a self-driving Uber with the system that is currently murdering drivers for only $3,000 upfront for delivery :shrug: .

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Gamesguy posted:

Which is exactly like its been since the beginning. They are just opening configuration time up to more orders.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gamesguy posted:

This is exactly what has happened for every Model 3 sold thus far, and is (or is similar to) what happens for pretty much any car you special order from any manufacturer.

FWIW, mine was almost exactly a month from configuration (and the second deposit) to delivery.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Don't worry, you will hear details next year on how you can make money by turning your Tesla into a self-driving Uber with the system that is currently murdering drivers for only $3,000 upfront for delivery :shrug: .

And for those who want to wait until the system passes regulatory approval before spending thousands of dollars, they just jacked up the price.

They say they'll start introducing "full self-driving features" in the next Autopilot update in August. Assuming you'll still have to keep your hands on the wheel, whatever that is would probably fall somethere in between ""mildly useful convenience feature" and "stupid gimmick".

I'm just hoping someone has level 4 autonomy nailed down by the time I have to replace my Prius.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Gamesguy posted:

The interesting and potentially damning thing is this:

https://twitter.com/TeslaCharts/status/1012487389128855554?s=19

People who put down the $1000 reservation today are almost immediately invited to customize and order. Tesla has always maintained there are almost 500,000 reservations but there is no proof of it. So either the reservation list is almost nothing, or almost all of those 500,000 people are waiting for the 35k model which is not ready for order and may well be permanent vaporware.

Lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Cockmaster posted:

I'm just hoping someone has level 4 autonomy nailed down by the time I have to replace my Prius.

Toyotas are pretty reliable, so I bet you could keep a Prius on the roads for the next twenty years, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This is exactly what has happened for every Model 3 sold thus far, and is (or is similar to) what happens for pretty much any car you special order from any manufacturer.

FWIW, mine was almost exactly a month from configuration (and the second deposit) to delivery.

This is very different from every Model 3 sold so far and every factory order from other manufacturers. You aren't given a vague promise of "sometime in the future" when you custom order say a BMW, and if due to unforeseen circumstances your factory order is delayed past a certain date, you can refuse delivery and get a full refund.

Previously, Tesla did not allow configurations and the second deposit until the customer has reached their place in line and is only a month or two from delivery. Currently, anybody can go sign up and put down $3500 without knowing if your order will be filled six months from now or 2 years from now. Now why would Tesla make this sudden change in policy I wonder? :thunk:

FistEnergy posted:

The interesting and potentially damning thing is this:

People who put down the $1000 reservation today are almost immediately invited to customize and order. Tesla has always maintained there are almost 500,000 reservations but there is no proof of it. So either the reservation list is almost nothing, or almost all of those 500,000 people are waiting for the 35k model which is not ready for order and may well be permanent vaporware.

Lmao

Yep. Even if only half of those supposed 500,000 pre-orders are non-base and assuming Tesla maintains 5,000/week, it'd take almost a year to get through them all. Why would you ask for a non-refundable deposit minimum of a year from delivery? This isn't a Ferrari, it's supposed to be a mass market car.

The other explanation is Tesla has the 500,000 pre-orders but a huge percentage of them are canceling when they reach their place in line and are asked to pay that second deposit.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 29, 2018

• Locked thread