Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I think this is the only tape I have. LITA bundled this with some Lee Hazelwood records. Unfortunately I don't have a tape player.

A few years ago the three tapes on my car floor were Anthrax: Attack of the Killer B's, Slayer: Reign in Blood, and The Melvins: Ozma and Gluey Porch Treatments.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mike_V posted:

Tape will never die

Respect tape

Absolutely :hfive:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Do any of you watch that Tech Moan guy on youtube? He has a lot of really cool videos about various esoteric old music formats. He gets pretty in depth and actually tracks down all this old equipment to demonstrate its use.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep he’s always a good watch. I feel bad that he knows how dickish people in the comments can be and feels he has to defend some of his choices a fair amount of time tho.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Do any of you watch that Tech Moan guy on youtube? He has a lot of really cool videos about various esoteric old music formats. He gets pretty in depth and actually tracks down all this old equipment to demonstrate its use.

His stuff is pretty cool. I always wondered do YouTube payouts actually cover the cost of the stuff he buys to review?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

His stuff is pretty cool. I always wondered do YouTube payouts actually cover the cost of the stuff he buys to review?

I'm guessing he has a good amount of money independently of his youtube videos because some of the poo poo he has is just insane. I've noticed that in the background of some of his videos you can see a 2.35:1 aspect ratio tv.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep he’s always a good watch. I feel bad that he knows how dickish people in the comments can be and feels he has to defend some of his choices a fair amount of time tho.

Yeah his only flaw is he takes that poo poo too personally. You're getting millions of views, you don't need to read ever stupid comment people make.

The other YouTuber I love is vwestlife. Much lower production value but I dig his presentation style for some reason. And he's been around for a decade.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ben is a funny motherfucker, we met him in Nashville last time we were up there. 🙂

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hell yeah

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Me being a giant idiot I asked the record store near me if they had a specific album. They offered to put in an order and it's been like three months now and they still don't have it. I'm nervous that if I just order it online from the label they'll get it in like the next day and think I'm some kind of flake. :ohdear:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Stan Taylor posted:

Me being a giant idiot I asked the record store near me if they had a specific album. They offered to put in an order and it's been like three months now and they still don't have it. I'm nervous that if I just order it online from the label they'll get it in like the next day and think I'm some kind of flake. :ohdear:

Yah this is basically the reason that I will never order an LP through a record store again. God only knows when you are actually going to be able to pick it up. I just started purchasing from discogs and have been very happy with the transactions I have made so far. In fact, I frequently check discogs prices against the prices at the store for new records and sometimes I can get it a few dollars cheaper (even with shipping).

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Stan Taylor posted:

It's been three months. Have they contacted you at any point between them taking your order and now? if they haven't at least touched bases with you I think you're ok and they probably either forgot to order it or they ordered it and forgot you had requested it and it's either sitting in a bin somewhere in their store or already sold.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

dorium posted:

It's been three months. Have they contacted you at any point between them taking your order and now? if they haven't at least touched bases with you I think you're ok and they probably either forgot to order it or they ordered it and forgot you had requested it and it's either sitting in a bin somewhere in their store or already sold.

I was browsing about a month ago and mentioned it to the guy and they still had my number and everything. Said it was on backorder, but it's readily available on the label site so I dunno. Probably gonna swing by this weekend and pick something else up and check again or have them cancel.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
“Hey it’s been three months and I found an online outlet that can get it to me in [x amount of days/weeks] so I’m gonna go with that. Sorry.”

There’s really nothing they can say back to that imho and if anything they’ll try harder next time. Unless they are pieces of poo poo in which case you weren’t getting it anyway probably.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 27, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I didn't realize that Reverb had started a Discogs-like service called Reverb-LP. I hadn't heard anyone mention them before so it must be pretty new. Has anyone signed up?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

“Hey it’s been three months and I found an online outlet that can get it to me in [x amount of days/weeks] so I’m gonna go with that. Sorry.”

There’s really nothing they can say back to that imho and if anything they’ll try harder next time. Unless they are pieces of poo poo in which case you weren’t getting it anyway probably.

Yeah I mean I've ordered poo poo through a store I like a whole bunch of times and on one occasion I had a situation like this and I told them what happened and apologize and they just said it was fine because it was the kind of thing they like to sell in their store anyway and put it on the shelf. I mean it's still a store, they're just going to sell the thing to someone else.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

FINALLY.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I hate that they tell you the record has shipped when all they've done is print the shipping label.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

I hate that they tell you the record has shipped when all they've done is print the shipping label.

Feel like I get this poo poo from multiple places. Fat Beats being the current offender.

Got an e-mail that Dimple was doing a 20% sale on new vinyl and I just read some great things about Thundercat's "Drank". I picked up a the purple vinyl copy for a great price out the door and it looks and sounds incredible. Unfortunately, they did not have Paris in the Spring in stock.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My girlfriend absolutely loves Drunk, so I got her the box set of 10" 45s (which are apparently designed to expertly annoy me with how little music there is on each side before you gotta switch out :v: )

Is Drank just a bunch of remixes? I'm tempted to get it for her too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

jeeves posted:

My girlfriend absolutely loves Drunk, so I got her the box set of 10" 45s (which are apparently designed to expertly annoy me with how little music there is on each side before you gotta switch out :v: )

Is Drank just a bunch of remixes? I'm tempted to get it for her too.

Yah, Drank is a bunch of remixes of Drunk by DJ Candlestick & OG Ron C. The beats are super chilled out but I really dig it. I have been trying to find Drunk as well but haven't had much luck.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Ok so this is loving weird. I picked up Candi Staton's "Make Me an Instrument" the other day for $3 and it was still sealed, but had a slight rip in the seal on the front where someone marked their initials. I unsealed it and the record looked unplayed, both labels correct. But I go to play the first side and it is most certainly NOT Candi Staton. It's some country-rock abomination that made me a little angry. But Side 2 is correct. What the hell happened?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Someone mixed up the plates at the plant. Any chance of identifying the country-rock artist/album/side?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

Someone mixed up the plates at the plant. Any chance of identifying the country-rock artist/album/side?

Asking Siri to name that tune is probably the easiest way to do this.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Or google one of the lyrics.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Asking Siri to name that tune is probably the easiest way to do this.

I did this and it could not find the first two songs, going to try the others now.

pwn posted:

Or google one of the lyrics.

I also googled the lyrics and no luck either.

Edit: Yah, went through all of the tracks and Siri couldn't name a single one, looked up the lyrics as well and no hits.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 28, 2018

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
see if there are etchings in the deadwax. if there are pop them into the search bar on discogs

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Picked up Digital Moonscapes by Wendy Carlos today from Rocking Horse. Still need more of her stuff. I've got Switched on Bach 1 and 2 and the TRON Soundtrack.

I also picked up this repring of Personal Computer by Doris Norton because Italian computer music is def my jam.

I also picked up some very cheap Quad records and if I ever get all the equipment to play all the different Quad formats I'm SET.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My only quadraphonic record is the soundtrack to the wiz.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

MrSargent posted:

I didn't realize that Reverb had started a Discogs-like service called Reverb-LP. I hadn't heard anyone mention them before so it must be pretty new. Has anyone signed up?

I was pleased when I bought stuff from Moby's vinyl shop he set up through reverb. Stuff arrived quickly, had Reverb-branded record mailers, went smoothly with PayPal. My experience may not be reflective of other since it was a celebrity selling all of their stuff at once, but just based on that experience I'd buy again.

pwn
May 27, 2004

i hate you

(Enjoy the record!)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Banano posted:

ostensibly it's French 'pop' but not really - it's a period when self segregated styles and artists started to mix. So chanteuses, orchestral/soundtrack, funk, jazz, that sort of thing. There's the obligatory Serge track and a couple of others he produced and some other stuff by his orchestral arranger but that's it for him, lots of artists I've never heard of and a handful I had. If you're a hiphop/beatmaker type you will bust nuts all over it. Just lots of really gorgeous tunes basically.

It seems like this record is not very easy to get in the US. I looked on discogs and no one in the US is selling one, so paying shipping would be brutal. Gonna try to find a US distributor that has it in stock but if you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
You can order direct from ace, I put in a kansas city address as an experiment and delivery was about £9, don't know if that's a dealbreaker...

https://www.acerecords.co.uk/bob-stanley-pete-wiggs-present-paris-in-the-spring-1

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

It seems like this record is not very easy to get in the US. I looked on discogs and no one in the US is selling one, so paying shipping would be brutal. Gonna try to find a US distributor that has it in stock but if you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

Amazon has it?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

sporklift posted:

Amazon has it?

I swear when I looked I didn’t see it. Thanks for the heads up, with prime and free shipping, that is waaaay cheaper.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It took 15 years, but I finally have a 9" record.

I bought some other records too!!

this is a split

check out this wicked fold out sleeve

i bought this record off the internet and it turned out to not be very good!

i bought these from the internet too!

The 311 Lifestyle
Feb 16, 2018

just trippin'
and laughin'
at the crap
good poo poo, m8

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MrSargent posted:

I swear when I looked I didn’t see it. Thanks for the heads up, with prime and free shipping, that is waaaay cheaper.

Heads up 90% of the records I get from Amazon are pretty warped. Usually playable but noticably warped. That's why I only buy cheapies from them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Heads up 90% of the records I get from Amazon are pretty warped. Usually playable but noticably warped. That's why I only buy cheapies from them now.

I bought a record from Amazon one time and the packaging was so awful I'm surprised that it made it here undamaged, they don't know how to mail records at all and unless whatever you want from them is being sold at a very substantial discount I would avoid buying records from them.