Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I am not prepared for that kind of language plz, eSATA-n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

magsafe is god's own connector and apple is shameful as h*ck for no longer using it

:hmmyes:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

its significantly better. its reversible and doesn't gather debris to cause shorts like magsafe.

magsafe is reversible and i've never had it not work due to debris

take a shower bro

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
charging via usb-c is fine and the surface pro should do the same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

magsafe is god's own connector and apple is shameful as h*ck for no longer using it

nah it was poorly designed and caught things on fire.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

charging via usb-c is fine and the surface pro should do the same

a magnetic usb-c would be really good

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

nah it was poorly designed and caught things on fire.

you're posts

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Shaggar posted:

its significantly better. its reversible and doesn't gather debris to cause shorts like magsafe.

idk i thought magsafe was also reversible?

also i like the surface connector its nice. shameful that apple moved away from The Light

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

a magnetic usb-c would be really good

how exactly would that work

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jowj posted:

idk i thought magsafe was also reversible?

also i like the surface connector its nice. shameful that apple moved away from The Light

magsafe is reversible. there's even an led light on both sides to indicate charge. shaggar has brain worms

so does tim though, he really shouldn't have killed magsafe

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

a bunch of smaller outfits have made magnetic usb cords where there's an end bit you put in your device's port and it becomes a magnetic connector, essentially

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

its easy to do for power but idk if anyone makes one that does full speed data yet.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they make barrel power connectors that rotate as well which is cool, but no data.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

they make barrel power connectors that rotate as well which is cool, but no data.

ah, the ever reliable barrel connector found on every pos laptop from 1991-present

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the connector is usbc but the magnet part is barrel shaped and rotates.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol at usb-c and lightning connectors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
keyed connectors are hard stymie

not everyone was as good at getting the square peg in the square hole as you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
usb c is good. lightning is bad

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

usb c is good. lightning is bad

:thunk:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
usb-c should probably be on the iphone, but usb-c is too thick for the appletv remote and the pencil

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
remember when usb-c came out and if you bought a cheap cable your phone would get destroyed and some google engineers posted spreadsheets to show you which ones wouldn't blow up

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

remember when usb-c came out and if you bought a cheap cable your phone would get destroyed and some google engineers posted spreadsheets to show you which ones wouldn't blow up

this is still the case lol

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

good point re: USB-C on the iphone. i can't imagine a world where apple implements half-baked hardware in a way where it could easily fail and require hundreds of dollars' worth of repairs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

this is still the case lol

I havent had any problems but maybe I just got lucky.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

remember when the same thing happened with DisplayPort cables?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

remember when the same thing happened with DisplayPort cables?
no

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

a bunch of smaller outfits have made magnetic usb cords where there's an end bit you put in your device's port and it becomes a magnetic connector, essentially

the word you’re looking for is dongle.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DisplayPort is powered on both host and device side, proper cables don't connect those pins. Lots of Chinese factories didn't read the spec.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

univbee posted:

i tried one of these and was massively disappointed is that still true?

the dream of one cable is alive in me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

brap posted:

the word you’re looking for is dongle.

im rock hard

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

*timbs into the thread* did someone say dongle?!

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

univbee posted:

why is there a sewing machine in the background

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i went around to a dozen lovely mall kiosks and Daiso/Muji-esque places and folks seem have no idea USB-C is USB, and you don't need dongles. nobody sells cables for USB-C to Micro-USB/Micro-USB-SS/Mini-USB/USB-A/USB-B, etc. but they have dongles for each!

ordered the cables online for $20 all included and now USB-A is history to me

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hifi posted:

Watch out for my USB Type-C dongle for Surface Pro

yes, producing custom chips in collaboration with massive chip makers can be extremely cool but also so expensive it makes you want to cry

but I think they've got it mostly sorted out now and PC's, console and servers are using the same hardware. the investment in the development is spread out across these sectors which makes the margins effectively higher.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm, uh, guessing you've never had to service a fleet of 'em.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I'm, uh, guessing you've never had to service a fleet of 'em.

what service does magsafe connectors require?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

what service does magsafe connectors require?

like all cables in the hands of employees I imagine they break

but so do all cables, and with only magnets holding it in place I can’t imagine it being worse than your run of the mill barrel plug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in which microsoft admits their windowing model is too broken to ever change

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Complicating this, however, is the issue that many Windows applications do all manner of weird and occasionally wonderful things with their title bars. With a simple application like Notepad, which does nothing at all non-standard, it's straightforward for the operating system to take the window's titlebar and add tabs to it. That's because the operating system is entirely responsible for drawing the titlebar in the first place.

But in an application such as Office or Visual Studio, where the window titlebars are customized by the application, the task becomes much harder: the operating system has to ensure that the tabs don't break the application. We'll likely see an API somewhere down the line that enables the Sets system to coordinate the tabbing with the applications. But that's still very much a work in progress.

when you let third parties run amok with the ui you should expect problems uniting the ui

in this case "third parties" means "parts of microsoft"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

which is too bad, because sets really are a good idea. oh well.