Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

I’m doing a 5000km trip in the next three weeks and about 1200km of those are in sealed roads. Think that counts as an expedition.

Adelaide to Alice Springs via the Oodnadatta track and Old Andado Track, then Alice to Birdsville via the Plenty Highway, Hay River Track and Simpson Desert, then back to Adelaide via the Birdsville Track and Flinders Ranges. Gonna be epic fun

It has the required distance and duration to be considered an expedition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Has anyone used the Staun tyre deflators? 4 Little brass jobbies you set to a preset pressure, and when you screw them onto your valves they deflate til they hit that pressure.

They seem slightly slow to deflate one tyre (like 1:30 from 35-20psi) compared to a deflator like the ARB EZ whatever which might take 30s but you can walk around the truck screwing them on and by the time you get to the last one it seems like the first one would just about be done, and you wouldn’t have to sit there getting cold hands holding a deflator on (nz considerations).

Not flexible for dropping pressures for multiple situations because you can only have them set up for one pressure at a time and setting them up sounds a bit fiddly but I tend to just drop to ~20psi in the Landcruiser for pretty much anything I do - bush tracks, sand, riverbed, whatever, and it seems to work.

Thoughts?

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I have stauns. Set each one in the set at a different pressure and colour code them.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is the first time I’ve seen them but seems really appealing to me. Slower doesn’t matter so much when you don’t have to watch the things.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

ili posted:

I have stauns. Set each one in the set at a different pressure and colour code them.

Any dramas with them? I was thinking 2 pairs at 2 different pressures. like 2 at 20 for riverbeds and 2 at 12 for the beach or something. They seem like a slightly slower, less accurate and more expensive but lazier method than a quick deflator

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gimpsuitjones posted:

Any dramas with them? I was thinking 2 pairs at 2 different pressures. like 2 at 20 for riverbeds and 2 at 12 for the beach or something. They seem like a slightly slower, less accurate and more expensive but lazier method than a quick deflator

Nah, I've never had any problems. But I'm not the type to be anal about tyre pressures. Near enough is more than good enough. I like the idea of just screwing the deflator on and letting it do its thing while I do something else or just wander about having a stretch.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

ili posted:

Nah, I've never had any problems. But I'm not the type to be anal about tyre pressures. Near enough is more than good enough. I like the idea of just screwing the deflator on and letting it do its thing while I do something else or just wander about having a stretch.

yeah same. Might grab a set then, 80 bucks at super cheap isn't too bad

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I stumbled across this guy's site:

http://www.trailimage.com/map

Which is one of the coolest resources for planning a trip I've ever found online because it actually has some categorization for the various tracks that litter Idaho. Apparently the source is Idaho itself, from here: https://trails.idaho.gov/

Traditionally when I'm plotting dirt road trips I use forest service maps or paper maps purchased in the area, which works, but having a clickable web based map is pretty loving badass. And the handful of roads I've taken in Idaho, the data appears pretty accurate. The idaho.gov site even lists what times of the years a road is open if you click on it.

Anyone know if any other states publish data like this? It's hard to google because anything like "montana trails" or "montana ohv map" is gonna get a whole heaping pile of poo poo.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I recently went up north in Maine for 4 days of hiking. Views were great, saw some awesome stuff. There were 4 of us and we took my parents chevy 2500 crew cab. A great truck that had plenty of room for us and two dogs all weekend, was just big and unwieldy at times, plus 2500 springs in the back did us no favors. I'm looking to get something smaller of my own for both mild offroading/trips and light duty car hauling. The v8 4runner, lexus GX470, and LX470 all seem to be right where I'd want to be in the tow rating and pricing, just trying to decide on which one to look for.

4runner:
7000lb tow rating
smallest of the bunch
cool roll down rear window
normal radio and hvac
shittiest interior of the bunch

GX:
rear air springs need to be replaced or deleted, good for towing and can be tricked for cheap lift
stupid rear door
more interior room
integrated nav is a bitch to replace and outdated
better interior
best exterior styling imo

LX470:
older
parts availability?
worse mpgs
bulletproof 100 series

I'll be looking more heavily in the fall but if something cool pops up I wouldn't kick it out of bed. GX appeals to my aesthetics but the 4runner seems more practical. LX is just wildcard

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been looking at similar vehicles. The GX is really appealing cause around me at least they aren’t any more expensive than an equivalent 4Runner and generally seem to be in better shape. I like that it’s a little different too. The rear air spring delete looks pretty straightforward so i dunno that it’s too big of knock against it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Slow is Fast posted:

I recently went up north in Maine for 4 days of hiking. Views were great, saw some awesome stuff. There were 4 of us and we took my parents chevy 2500 crew cab. A great truck that had plenty of room for us and two dogs all weekend, was just big and unwieldy at times, plus 2500 springs in the back did us no favors. I'm looking to get something smaller of my own for both mild offroading/trips and light duty car hauling. The v8 4runner, lexus GX470, and LX470 all seem to be right where I'd want to be in the tow rating and pricing, just trying to decide on which one to look for.

4runner:
7000lb tow rating
smallest of the bunch
cool roll down rear window
normal radio and hvac
shittiest interior of the bunch

GX:
rear air springs need to be replaced or deleted, good for towing and can be tricked for cheap lift
stupid rear door
more interior room
integrated nav is a bitch to replace and outdated
better interior
best exterior styling imo

LX470:
older
parts availability?
worse mpgs
bulletproof 100 series

I'll be looking more heavily in the fall but if something cool pops up I wouldn't kick it out of bed. GX appeals to my aesthetics but the 4runner seems more practical. LX is just wildcard

Andrew SPW is confident that the GX is a rebadged Prado, which carries FJ running gear, and is therefore stout as poo poo, but the mileage is garbage. He was loaned one for his PNW expedition.

If you can find a decent Cummins Ram in your price range I'd jump on it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

powderific posted:

I’ve been looking at similar vehicles. The GX is really appealing cause around me at least they aren’t any more expensive than an equivalent 4Runner and generally seem to be in better shape. I like that it’s a little different too. The rear air spring delete looks pretty straightforward so i dunno that it’s too big of knock against it.

Thats the conclusion I'm coming to as well, same 120 platform, less beat, similar prices, more wiz bang stuff. Rear bags arent a deal breaker, etc.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

you get a LOT of car for your money with the LX470. As a touring vehicle, you really cant beat the 100 series chassis. So much room for activities!

And 99% of the poo poo the aussie aftermarket makes for the 100 series bolts straight onto the LX chassis too!

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

powderific posted:

Having owned a 4Runner for a year now here are my personal pros and cons for the vehicle.

Pros:
- the aftermarket is very strong, many good choices for parts
- large and active owner’s community
- while not fast the 4.0l V6 is dead reliable
- 68x48 cargo area with rear seats folded down
- 400w 120v power onboard in the trunk
- reclining rear seats
- the retractable rear window

Cons:
- there are too many drat 4Runners out there, particularly 5th gens
- stock suspension is set up for a comfortable ride on the road and is therefore squishy and the vehicle nosedives under normal braking
- upside down cartridge based oil filter, WTF Toyota?
- factory radio is very dated
- interior plastics are cheap and the paint wears off easily

As you can see the cons are mostly nit picky stuff. Sorting out the front suspension can be done for <$1000 with a pair of coil overs.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

gimpsuitjones posted:

I dunno about rusty jeeps but does the current trend to refer to 4wd trips and road trips as "overland" "expeditions" rip anyone else's undies?

It depends, I did find a subset of "overlanding" types who rather sit around and debate what brand of water/gas can to use, what brand of roof top tent and what brand of cooler they're using vs actually going out on a trip. I'm getting to the point where "less is more" on larger off road trips. I want to carry as less crap as possible. But back to overland expeditions, I used to be on that site, I remember getting flamed out over some dude for picking an H1 to wheel in and not a Mercedes G-wagon. I didn't get it and the guy actually found one of my youtube videos and criticized me and I was like.. dude... get your loving G55 or whatever and post some videos of your own, otherwise gently caress off, at least I use my poo poo. Turned out to be some teenager over in Dubai or UAE or whatever.

powderific posted:

This is the first time I’ve seen them but seems really appealing to me. Slower doesn’t matter so much when you don’t have to watch the things.

Yeah , the air deflators can be handy. I may end up carrying a set since I go wheeling with mixed models/makes and not everyone comes with deflation/inflation tools in hand. Right now I got the CTIS H1 setup, and the ARB-tire tool with the air gauge and the brass rapid deflation handle [which removes the core and allows you to pop it in/out with a slide]. I usually use that to service CTI lines. I'll max out inflation on the opposite wheel [say 50-60 psi] then quick disconnect both wheels on that axle from the system, use the ARB tool the rapid deflate the wheel assembly I'm servicing, replace the line and hook both tires back into the system, then you'll use the other tire as an air tank and you'll have the empty tire inflated up in a few seconds to 25-30psi.

Stupid CTI tricks.

I wish I had a set mode on the CTIS controller, its just two rocker switches I have to push down, I'm thinking of making a microcontroller and building a little controller interface where I can run presets and have the system set the pressure automatically.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

xzzy posted:

So I stumbled across this guy's site:

http://www.trailimage.com/map

Which is one of the coolest resources for planning a trip I've ever found online because it actually has some categorization for the various tracks that litter Idaho. Apparently the source is Idaho itself, from here: https://trails.idaho.gov/

Traditionally when I'm plotting dirt road trips I use forest service maps or paper maps purchased in the area, which works, but having a clickable web based map is pretty loving badass. And the handful of roads I've taken in Idaho, the data appears pretty accurate. The idaho.gov site even lists what times of the years a road is open if you click on it.

Anyone know if any other states publish data like this? It's hard to google because anything like "montana trails" or "montana ohv map" is gonna get a whole heaping pile of poo poo.

This site: https://www.trailsoffroad.com/ has been working for a few years to create trail guides (map, video, etc) for all public trails in the US. It's a sorta volunteer effort - regular Joes can sign up to contribute and work with them to document the trails.

e: but if you search a state and "OHV", if they have any publicly maintained/owned OHV trails, you'd better believe they will have code and law governing use and access, which will typically be available or at least mentioned on one of the state's .gov sites.

Paulie fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

new 4wd Action out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzutXEe4SOM

man these dudes need to stop dragging lovely camper trailers everywhere

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Do you guys buy your giant tires online or what? I need to buy some 31” inch tires, and I’m a cheapskate. I don’t have exact dimensions available until Monday, but I figured I’d get the ball rolling.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

cosmicjim posted:

Do you guys buy your giant tires online or what? I need to buy some 31” inch tires, and I’m a cheapskate. I don’t have exact dimensions available until Monday, but I figured I’d get the ball rolling.

I asked Discount Tire to match the delivered price from Tire Rack.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Discount usually does some very solid sales on major holidays, especially if you're willing to use their credit card to buy them.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Between my friends and I we’ve bought probably close to 10 sets of tires through https://www.discounttiredirect.com and have always gotten the best price. Call them and mention you’re a member of a Jeep forum and there’s usually another discount they throw on, plus they’ll price match just about anyone.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

man why do Aussies love their camper trailers so much ?

Also these guys are half watchable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwKZo2YCAnE

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More overlander talk:

Where I live, I get to see many unique and cool expedition type vehicles.

I stopped and talked to a guy and his wife a couple days ago. True expedition types. He had an Iveco based vehicle with an expedition style camper on the back with tapered rear for extra departure angle. Something like a 40" tire with 2 spares. They were stopped on a forresty road off the highway and were driving back to Italy.

This was northbound between Grande Cache and Grande Prairie, Alberta and is 1 of 2 major connectors to the Alaska hwy.

Also see lots of unimogs with similar outfitting. Thousands of expedition type bikes mostly BMW but lately I've been seeing lots of KTM's.

The big money ones are the Global Expedition vehicles. Usually Ford f450 based with ctis hmett wheels and all sorts of cargo racks. A neighbor had one down the street but I've never asked him about it. Strangely most of them that I've seen have euro plates.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Content:

I participated in the Wapiti offroad rally yesterday. It was a 30km lap.

Shaky cell phone footage while trying to drive:
https://youtu.be/SO-4MMGLsZ0

Caught up to some ATV's who were a bit slower and had to wait to pass.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Arishtat posted:

Having owned a 4Runner for a year now here are my personal pros and cons for the vehicle.

Pros:
- the aftermarket is very strong, many good choices for parts
- large and active owner’s community
- while not fast the 4.0l V6 is dead reliable
- 68x48 cargo area with rear seats folded down
- 400w 120v power onboard in the trunk
- reclining rear seats
- the retractable rear window

Cons:
- there are too many drat 4Runners out there, particularly 5th gens
- stock suspension is set up for a comfortable ride on the road and is therefore squishy and the vehicle nosedives under normal braking
- upside down cartridge based oil filter, WTF Toyota?
- factory radio is very dated
- interior plastics are cheap and the paint wears off easily

As you can see the cons are mostly nit picky stuff. Sorting out the front suspension can be done for <$1000 with a pair of coil overs.

yup, additionally small nitpick: the 5th gen runners only tow 5000 lbs. I think the only 4runners that could do 7000 are the V8 4th gens with a tow package

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Razzled posted:

yup, additionally small nitpick: the 5th gen runners only tow 5000 lbs. I think the only 4runners that could do 7000 are the V8 4th gens with a tow package

Which is loving nonsense. they make the same power on paper

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So I found something today and gave someone money for it.

'85 4runner SR5, the Goldilocks year of solid axle + 22RE... Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, it was cheap and it runs and drives, and there really isn't much rust. The interior is complete, down to the original factory radio with kickinrad 80s equalizer controls, and also the inclinometer and altimeter etc. are on the dash. Being a ~*~fancy~*~ SR5 it also has a tach!

I almost bought an '85 a few years ago and ended up with a triple locked LX450 instead, but I have also since sold that, and now we have the hilarious extremes of the '85 4runner and our '13 200 series, the latter of which is dented all to hell after hail last month. :(

I'm tempted to throw 33s on this thing and go see how stuck I can get with the local Toyota peeps.

There's an ARB and Warn up front; I'll figure out over the next few days if the winch is functional but I know the remote is in the cab.

Theoretically there's service records too, but I'll find out this PM when I go pick it up.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Nice runner. You'll probably want to convert it to the IFS steering box to get rid of the push-pull box at some point, since they limit travel significantly. One of the best features of the pre-IFS trucks is the hump in the frame up front, leaving more room for uptravel and steering clearance with less lift.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cosmicjim posted:

I pay extra and get them at 4 wheel parts and get their super insane warranty policy with replacement [$40].

I had BFG KM2's 37's put on my truck back in 2011. Earlier this year they replaced all of them with new rubber, I was still under the 50% wear threshold for proration which meant any warranty claim would give me a new tire. What happened was there was a 2 year period where my truck basically sat in the desert sun for two years when I was out of the country [it was supposed to be 3 months, but poo poo happened]. When I got back I thought the tires were fine but they were dry rotted, they started throwing chunks of tread even though I was at 80% thread.

One disintegrated on the way to 4 wheel parts, and when the manager saw it , they swapped them all out. I paid another $40 per tire to put crazy-warranty on the new set of rubber.

Its the only warranty I know that covers off road damage.. so if you really gently caress up your tires to the point where it isn't repairable and you are still are above 50% thread, you get a new tire. Less than that, it's prorated based on age/wear. But if its above 50% there's no time limit apparently.

Worth it if the tires are 300+ ea. If you can get walmart AT/MT's for 100 ea or whatever then I'd go that route.

I guess what sustains that warranty as profitiable is all the brodozer dudes buying huge tires for street driving.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 11, 2018

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Wicked cool

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tremek posted:

I'm tempted to throw 33s on this thing and go see how stuck I can get with the local Toyota peeps.

Give in to the temptation. You have a solid plan there.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Neat. First time seeing a mil-truck out in the patch. I don't know why more companies don't use them. The powered steer axle makes so much sense for Alberta mud.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

jonathan posted:

Neat. First time seeing a mil-truck out in the patch. I don't know why more companies don't use them. The powered steer axle makes so much sense for Alberta mud.

I was extremely disappointed when my dad told me he'd sold the M35 manure spreader truck at some point in the last few years, even though realistically it would have almost certainly cost far too much money to actually turn it into anything usable.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tremek posted:

So I found something today and gave someone money for it.

'85 4runner SR5, the Goldilocks year of solid axle + 22RE... Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, it was cheap and it runs and drives, and there really isn't much rust. The interior is complete, down to the original factory radio with kickinrad 80s equalizer controls, and also the inclinometer and altimeter etc. are on the dash. Being a ~*~fancy~*~ SR5 it also has a tach!

I almost bought an '85 a few years ago and ended up with a triple locked LX450 instead, but I have also since sold that, and now we have the hilarious extremes of the '85 4runner and our '13 200 series, the latter of which is dented all to hell after hail last month. :(

There's an ARB and Warn up front; I'll figure out over the next few days if the winch is functional but I know the remote is in the cab.

Theoretically there's service records too, but I'll find out this PM when I go pick it up.

This is a rad truck. Be sure to get spare birfield joints and carry them with you on the trail. They're the weakest point and most likely to fail while offroading on the same year pickups, which I assume have the same front suspension as the 4runners.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was extremely disappointed when my dad told me he'd sold the M35 manure spreader truck at some point in the last few years, even though realistically it would have almost certainly cost far too much money to actually turn it into anything usable.

I have one, with a Hino cab and motor transplanted into it. Pretty neat.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

This is a rad truck. Be sure to get spare birfield joints and carry them with you on the trail. They're the weakest point and most likely to fail while offroading on the same year pickups, which I assume have the same front suspension as the 4runners.

It may be a little bit before I go pound it hard on a trail; there's some more baseline stuff I need to address first, like the collapsing leaf packs up front, rear brakes not quite doing what they're supposed to do, etc.

With that said today I ordered some 4" lift pro comp leafs and new ubolts and bushings, plus extended brake lines, from 4wheelparts, and after getting a title and temp for it this PM went by Discount Tire and haggled a bit - a set of 33x10.50x15 BFG KM3s should be there either tomorrow or Monday.

The wheels on this thing are dumb, I need to find a set that's less silly ASAP before I mount the KM3s.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Some very belated pictures from the 2018 Lonestar Toyota Jamboree

Somehow I kept ending up as trail leader. I don't consider leadership as one of my qualities.

I kept trying to tell them that I am very dumb and they should not follow me, but they wouldn't listen

I AM VERY DUMB, I shouted

My friend checking to make sure I'm okay

yes i am okay

this one pic made the whole trip and all associated body damage totally worth it

then i came home, ripped the stripes off, and got some new wheels & tires.

I know, I know, "but the stripes are the only thing that makes your FJ cruiser noteworthy!" well i'm working on a new design so just ... just wait a little while okay?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Let's see the other side.

Insanely cool picture, btw. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Work sent me to a hunting conference and I snapped a couple pictures. These trucks are pretty much a perfect representation of big money hunting in South Tx. Not a fan of that lifestyle but I do love riding around in them when I get a chance.