Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I'm not really interested in local auctions but I'd never say never, I might become the largest US dealer in Grand Ams all of a sudden :v:

Might as well take advantage, you never know when some older toyotas could roll through. Wranglers are good money makers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I threw some bids at a delica and a WRECKED skyline and I wasn’t even close. The market is crazy. Like I fully expected to win both.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Fievel Goes Bi posted:

My Cappo has landed at the port and been cleared for pick up. Now I just got to get it.

Awesome, have a good trip! I'm unreasonably excited for you two to meet.
I did this, for science:

Conclusion: it's fun, not quite dead last, and taught me a lot about driving (albeit too much about what it feels like to have sidewalls roll over).

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Thanks. I can’t wait to get out here and get it. Happy to see you’re enjoying the Beat. Hopefully I’ll be able to get out to some autox with the Cappo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hey guys guess what whoops

1991 Suzuki Jimny, low miles, 100% stock and unmolested, good shape, lace seat covers (???) 5 speed manual, AC, etc etc. Continuing the tradition of neat spare wheel covers.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

yesssssss. Nice Jimny!

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That's :krad:

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
drat! I was wondering if you were in on this one. I asked for an inspection on it and was considering it until Yoshi told me what the high bid was. Congrats!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Those lace seat covers have been in drat near every single vehicle I was in in every Asian country (Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, saipan, Guam, Philippines, Singapore, vietnam, Thailand, rota, malaysia) I visited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Guess you need another AZ-1.

Best get on that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Those lace seat covers have been in drat near every single vehicle I was in in every Asian country (Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, saipan, Guam, Philippines, Singapore, vietnam, Thailand, rota, malaysia) I visited.

Many people in that area of the world use (or used) oil in their hair. Cloth seats are nice in hot, sunny enviroments. You can see the problem there.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Hey guys guess what whoops

1991 Suzuki Jimny, low miles, 100% stock and unmolested, good shape, lace seat covers (???) 5 speed manual, AC, etc etc. Continuing the tradition of neat spare wheel covers.

Riller posted:

drat! I was wondering if you were in on this one. I asked for an inspection on it and was considering it until Yoshi told me what the high bid was. Congrats!

Well I see who the other 2 interested parties that Matt mentioned were. I thought about just offering up a super high bid to edge y'all out but this being my first time I got cold feet and started worrying that someone would send it up to like 3 grand which I did not want to be into it for. Nice score!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Riller posted:

Mtmd posted:

Well I see who the other 2 interested parties that Matt mentioned were. I thought about just offering up a super high bid to edge y'all out but this being my first time I got cold feet and started worrying that someone would send it up to like 3 grand which I did not want to be into it for. Nice score!

Awkward :v:

I'm not doing any more buying until later now though. There have been a string of low-mileage stock Jimnys the past couple months so hopefully it will hold. Just remember 1990+ are 660 cc ones, but the late 80s ones have the better side graphics.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lmao I saw this one too and also strongly considered bidding on it...

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 27, 2018

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

As part of the process of importing my Delica I've now learned a lot more about what it takes to pass an Out of Province inspection here in BC. Essentially, in addition to the usual "do things to make the car safe", for JDM cars you need to replace the following things:

1. Replace the tires with tires marked DOT
2. Add a day time running lights module
3. Replace the lights with lights for LHD cars marked DOT.

This third point is potentially quite problematic for some vehicles. I was really lazy and didn't look into any of this for the Delica because there are so many Delicas around here that I figured it was no issue, but as it happens, the lights have to come from Taiwan, one of the few (if only?) places where there are LHD Delicas, and accordingly these lights are fairly expensive. Either you pay that cost or you have to find some mechanic that is loose on inspections.

One thing I wanted to look into more before I bid on any Jimnys was whether there are easily available DOT marked lights that work. It seems to me that there should be Suzuki Samurai lights that work, but I didn't really have much time to check to be 100% sure.

Certainly this makes me very cautious about JDM cars that have no North American variants (eg. Honda Beat?). Potentially there could be no legal way to insure those and your only option would be to find a mechanic that didn't care.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Make friends with another Delica owner, borrow their LHD headlights for the inspection, then put the RHD ones back in and never think about it again.
If you plan to import more Delicas, do the same, except buy one set of headlights from Taiwan.
Or, yeah, find a mechanic who isn't anal-retentive.

edit: assuming that the friend with Delica didn't do the second thing with the mechanic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
something, something, rear end in a top hat for running lights that don't have cutoffs for oncoming traffic

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Start a business ordering LHD Delica lights in bulk and selling them for huge markup to people who need to pass an OOP and have poor planning.

That does explain what happened to my hoard of old Impreza headlights.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Start a business ordering LHD Delica lights in bulk and selling them for huge markup to people who need to pass an OOP and have poor planning.

That does explain what happened to my hoard of old Impreza headlights.

This is basically what the multiple Delica importers in Vancouver do lol.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
I was driving home today on a lightly traveled highway back to my rural area and saw a Suzuki Cappuccino and I flipped my poo poo. 5 Minutes later I saw two sport bikes and a STI going on a cruise together. I felt like driving home as fast as I could to switch to the Skyline and see if could chase them down.

I need to go driving in the Skyline more. I really want to sit in a Cappo to see if I could handle dailying one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Loanarn posted:

I was driving home today on a lightly traveled highway back to my rural area and saw a Suzuki Cappuccino and I flipped my poo poo. 5 Minutes later I saw two sport bikes and a STI going on a cruise together. I felt like driving home as fast as I could to switch to the Skyline and see if could chase them down.

I need to go driving in the Skyline more. I really want to sit in a Cappo to see if I could handle dailying one.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Japan Imports Motion!

Wife spotted a Beat in someone's driveway, we ended up stopping just to ask them about it. I was just curious, she was specifically trying to get a price out of him.

Looked pretty good, didn't get the mileage. Was stock with the exception of whatever body kit is on it. Paint is faded in the way that Honda's red did in the 90s. A few dings but no paint missing. The driver's side seat bolster was worn like they are on every single Beat in the entire world. Guy said he thought he had the only Beat in Florida :v: but I humored him and played ignorant. We were in the Surf though so he saw the RHD in that. Said he got it for just over 6 grand off a dealer lot in, uh, Gibson? Maybe?
Still, cool to see!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Japan Imports Motion!

Wife spotted a Beat in someone's driveway, we ended up stopping just to ask them about it. I was just curious, she was specifically trying to get a price out of him.

Looked pretty good, didn't get the mileage. Was stock with the exception of whatever body kit is on it. Paint is faded in the way that Honda's red did in the 90s. A few dings but no paint missing. The driver's side seat bolster was worn like they are on every single Beat in the entire world. Guy said he thought he had the only Beat in Florida :v: but I humored him and played ignorant. We were in the Surf though so he saw the RHD in that. Said he got it for just over 6 grand off a dealer lot in, uh, Gibson? Maybe?
Still, cool to see!

Gibsonton maybe?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well fellas I got pics from port and my Crown looks like an old man’s car and seems to only have 4K miles on it. Has the cool dollies on the headrests too. And the somewhat rare HUD display option. But despite what the decklid says this is not a v8 but a straight six so grandpa lied I got misinformed and I don’t know if this will be worth poo poo over here. So just another super setback in my life. It’s a cool car to me but I don’t know value if any now.

Edit: it is confirmed a Majesta but I have been duped by the v8 badge. Has the hud and 4K Miles I don’t know maybe it will make something. Front bumper is scraped to poo poo (just paint) obviously old man car. poo poo.

everdave fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 28, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

madeintaipei posted:

Gibsonton maybe?

Probably.

everdave posted:

Well fellas I got pics from port and my Crown looks like an old man’s car and seems to only have 4K miles on it. Has the cool dollies on the headrests too. And the somewhat rare HUD display option. But despite what the decklid says this is not a v8 but a straight six so grandpa lied I got misinformed and I don’t know if this will be worth poo poo over here. So just another super setback in my life. It’s a cool car to me but I don’t know value if any now.

Edit: it is confirmed a Majesta but I have been duped by the v8 badge. Has the hud and 4K Miles I don’t know maybe it will make something. Front bumper is scraped to poo poo (just paint) obviously old man car. poo poo.

Wait what? How? The auction sheet displays cc engine size and if you don't get the info from whoever you are working with you can easily google that displacement number with the year of whatever car and work out what engine it has. On top of that the inspector will absolutely say whatever engine it is when they do their inspection especially if it's a badge mix-up. Like the auction can't even go through with it being labeled as a V8 but it actually coming with a 6, that's straight-up not allowed and if it's caught (which it most certainly should by any of the other inspectors running around that day) the auction will get pulled. It isn't uncommon for me to inspect a car, find something wrong with it and then seeing the auction get pulled because of it.

That being said, a 1JZ or 2JZ is far more desirable than the 1UZ (I assume the V8 your Majesta can come with) to most enthusiasts of the JDM stripe.

But hey look at this:

91 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher, unique because it's a short wheelbase 2-door model, normally they are 4 doors. Paint's faded along the rear windows and looks like the rear step backed into something but dang I think it looks pretty sharp. 2.8 liter turbo diesel too, the hood scoop gives it away because that's for the intercooler. Wikipedia doesn't list the 2.8 as a possible engine for this year so I'm guessing Wikipedia is wrong. Looks like the 4JB1-T.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Said he got it for just over 6 grand off a dealer lot in, uh, Gibson? Maybe?
Still, cool to see!

That's actually a really decent price for one of those landed considering when I've been watching them for the past few years on Japanese auctions decent ones tended to be about that anyway...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The displacement was clearly listed, I just missed it this was a few months ago I had just started. It has a v8 badge on the back.

I am happy with it now that I see it. Yes the 6 is the more desirable over here. Super low miles. I paid $945.

I will post pics today

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

The displacement was clearly listed, I just missed it this was a few months ago I had just started. It has a v8 badge on the back.

I am happy with it now that I see it. Yes the 6 is the more desirable over here. Super low miles. I paid $945.

I will post pics today

How are you getting it from port?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

How are you getting it from port?

That is the next step and basically "I don't know yet". It's my first one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lol. What port is it coming in to?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

angryrobots posted:

Lol. What port is it coming in to?

I literally just got the pics of it at port in Japan last night and I didn't see them until almost midnight. I'll speak to Matt at JCD about it tonight when I can talk to Japan again.

And here anyways, here is my first purchase. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta. 6500km. $945. 2JZ engine.

Looks absolutely rust-free

Yes

Heads Up

Ride Height Adjustment, Traction Control

Rear Air and Auto-Tilt Column

Digital Dash

2JZ

Spoils of War (that box is OEM unused Toyota Tire Chains)

everdave fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 28, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Mint. I think you will be able to find a buyer, it may just take some creative positioning.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Man it's an even more luxurious GS300... I love it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Man it's an even more luxurious GS300... I love it.

From wiki: "The Toyota Crown Majesta is a full-size flagship premium luxury automobile from Toyota. The Crown Majesta shares a stretched variant of the UZS platform series from the smaller Crown and Aristo/GS, however, it is not just an upper trim level of the Crown sedan, the Majesta is a separate car with unique styling and interior treatment."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d just cruise all day in that. It looks like you need a smokers jacket to even get in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

I literally just got the pics of it at port in Japan last night and I didn't see them until almost midnight. I'll speak to Matt at JCD about it tonight when I can talk to Japan again.

And here anyways, here is my first purchase. 1993 Toyota Crown Majesta. 6500km. $945. 2JZ engine.

Looks absolutely rust-free

Yes

Heads Up

Ride Height Adjustment, Traction Control

Rear Air and Auto-Tilt Column

Digital Dash

2JZ

Spoils of War (that box is OEM unused Toyota Tire Chains)

I dig this car, even if it's not a V8 (sacrilege!)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Nice, and I wouldn't be surprised if the black on the bumper buffs off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I dig this car, even if it's not a V8 (sacrilege!)

issa 2J tho. Get this straight piped, lowered with a dash of camber and be the coolest fucker around.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks y’all I’m much happier about it today

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

everdave posted:

Thanks y’all I’m much happier about it today

Glad to hear it.
I, too, am on team It's Super Rad and I Want to Cruise In It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah dude you basically got a mint Lexus for 900 bucks. You gonna keep it if you like it?