Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watching Chip Cheezums LP of V, is the medic in ground zeroes also voiced by Kiefer Sutherland? Like I know the twist and poo poo but I wanna make sure I’m not hearing things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 15, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
He finally got around to doing TPP?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

He finally got around to doing TPP?

He had an actual job for a while. Unfortunately it was for Volition, they had to make cuts after Agents of Mayhem was released and decided they didn't need the video job Chip was doing for them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remind me, how many people called out the twist before the game came out

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The twist was a fan theory before TPP was released, but it was one of several and it didn't seem any less crazy than the rest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A big one I remember was that skull face was the rocket peace guy from Pw since they wore the same jacket and the guys who helped him in those missions that he ran away from mother base looked exactly like skull face's bodyguards in gz

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

What's actually happening is that the game is set after MGS4.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Man on Fire turning out to be Volgin was true, though that was one of the more obvious ones. It also turned out to be just a thing that didn't have much to do with anything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

The Man on Fire turning out to be Volgin was true, though that was one of the more obvious ones. It also turned out to be just a thing that didn't have much to do with anything.

I thought the implications of it were neat. Psycho Mantis wanders about looking for the Angriest Motherfucker in the World to enable, uses Volgin for a while but finds that this brat kid is even angrier.

So yeah, Volgin is used as a throwaway in service of Liquid’s story.

So in Mission 51 when Venom accidentally shoots Liquid I laughed, that kid’s gonna hold a grudge for decades

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I thought the implications of it were neat. Psycho Mantis wanders about looking for the Angriest Motherfucker in the World to enable, uses Volgin for a while but finds that this brat kid is even angrier.

So yeah, Volgin is used as a throwaway in service of Liquid’s story.

So in Mission 51 when Venom accidentally shoots Liquid I laughed, that kid’s gonna hold a grudge for decades

Always seemed kind of weird to me that Konami didn't want to release 51 as DLC but I can understand (from a detached business perspective) the reasoning to just wipe their hands with MGS and be done with Kojima's part of it. At least there were enough files out there for people to piece it together and actually end the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Konami still did stuff for MGO, so they didn't make a DLC of mission threepeat, just to wash their hands from loss leader.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Konami did the bare minimum for MGO bc it was promised pre-launch. It was a dead on arrival add-on to a dead game. There was no such pre-launch plan for DLC.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
First time I heard it was dead on arrival.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kibayasu posted:

Always seemed kind of weird to me that Konami didn't want to release 51 as DLC but I can understand (from a detached business perspective) the reasoning to just wipe their hands with MGS and be done with Kojima's part of it. At least there were enough files out there for people to piece it together and actually end the game.

The Liquid thing feels more like a side-plot, so I'm not sure why the game is sometimes considered to not have an ending. The ending cutscene it has is my favorite ending in any game. Some set up plots not having resolution, well, that's an X-Men comic, it happens. Though kudos to Hideo for making this game under the conditions he did and whatnot, and I wouldn't have minded having that in there.

The pacing is for sure a bit unusual, the climax of the game is the stuff with Snuffleupagus, then we do some more side missions and replay some stuff and get a great ending cutscene. But the game overall is a giant epic, longer than 1-4 combined, hey, I dug it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I agree that the ending-ending we got is the actual intended ending and a good one at that. Certainly the one we would have gotten after 51. 51 is just the name the internet gave it after all, it probably would have just been an “important” side op. I just wouldn’t consider the future antagonist of the series going off with the eponymous nuclear equipped walking battle tank, never to be seen again until he steals another completely different nuclear equipped walking battle tank to be just some small side story that isn’t important to resolve. Also that whole parasite thing, one of the main plots of the whole game.

Edit: Oh the 51 stuff was actually on the MGS5 GOTY edition or whatever. Well that was good.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 16, 2018

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
there is no ending because war never ends

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Birdstrike posted:

there is no ending because war never ends

That's the vibe that i got.

You pretty much get forced on a path to make someone be revered beyond all measure, and you, the player relishes in that fact after finding out the truth.

What we actually got though was basically company in-fighting with a man who wanted to do something else.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Yeah, I felt that the ending we got was intentional even with all the strife behind the scenes. I still wish Konami finished the cut content and sold it as DLC. They would have made more money off that than Survive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Still want my battle gear

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Calaveron posted:

Still want my battle gear

I would have rather they just scrap it all together. Keeping that scene and having the equivalent of a Command and Conquer Future loving tank be used for offscreen poo poo was baffling to me.

I know Metal Gear Zeke was used for that same purpose in Peace Walker, but to be fair, you could actually see it in action, and it was a portable game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

I would have rather they just scrap it all together. Keeping that scene and having the equivalent of a Command and Conquer Future loving tank be used for offscreen poo poo was baffling to me.

I know Metal Gear Zeke was used for that same purpose in Peace Walker, but to be fair, you could actually see it in action, and it was a portable game.

Building your final boss was inspiring

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zeke was also Very Big and not really useful for most of the things you'd actually do in person in Peace Walker, aside from fighting the other big robots.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reinstalling MGSV. Any essential mods besides Infinite Heaven and Side Ops expansion? Been awhile since I've played and I don't know if there's anything new that's worthwhile.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
The posts I got probed for itt weren't a gimmick or concern trolling

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thank you for your service o7

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm finally playing 5 again after beating it way back on ps3. I forgot how intuitive and simple the stealth felt while also feeling incredibly in depth.

I never realized when I first played that you can still be stealthy with unsuppressed weapons so I've been running the nonlethal un-arc and doing hit and run attacks trying to thread that needle where they're alerted but you're still undiscovered which has been a ton of fun.

This game is really good man. It's a shame it was left basically unfinished.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/konami/status/1011776127138922497?s=21

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Look, I grew up playing Konami games, and i played alot of bomberman. Seeing not just Naked and Solid Snake as characters, but also seeing Bill Rizer and Lance Bean though, knowing full well we're also not getting a new contra anytime soon make me a little sad

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 27, 2018

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Also not getting a new Metal Gear game which is worse. At least they recognize the characters are popular enough.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What are some good tips for getting better at being stealthy in 5? I know a lot of the neat little tricks but I still seem to trigger reflex mode a lot.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Reinstalling MGSV. Any essential mods besides Infinite Heaven and Side Ops expansion? Been awhile since I've played and I don't know if there's anything new that's worthwhile.

I know this is a late response but does Infinite Heaven do free gear deployments from the helicopter and zero R&D time?

Because if not then you should download those mods.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

What are some good tips for getting better at being stealthy in 5? I know a lot of the neat little tricks but I still seem to trigger reflex mode a lot.

Not really sure what there is to say if you know tricks already. Darkness is a huge multiplier to your camouflage so stay in shadows during the day and out of floodlights during the night as much as you can, don't sprint in bases unless you're 100% sure no one is looking, make sure to crawl if you're really close to guards and use rolling to move quicker while crawling. I think diving counts as being prone as soon as you start the dive so it can be useful in crossing gaps quickly since guards won't go into combat unless they see you for sure. You can also dive "up" staircases and you'll quasi-glitch all the way up to the top. If you're in the single player, D-Dog is infinitely helpful in making sure you don't miss someone around a corner. Move slowly when sneaking up on guards because they can hear your footsteps if you're moving fast enough. Magazines are a free way to get a guard to look i the direction you want for a good amount of time. If you have the ammo/suppressor to spare hitting multiple guards in the leg in quick succession with tranq rounds is a ridiculously easy and safe way to quickly clear an area at 0 risk because they'll all go down within a few seconds of each other and won't raise any sort of alarm from being hit with tranqs.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ok I definitely didn't know that diving was considered prone as far as detection goes. That'll be handy

Part of the reason I have trouble with it is because I enjoy using unsilenced weapons and no buddies in stealth so much. Dumb idea but its a ton of fun when it works right.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nah, you’re playing the game right. Really putting the stealth mechanics to the test is very fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're going that far, I would suggest removing Reflex mode as well.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Keep reflex mode on but the only weapons you can use are magazines.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Move slowly when sneaking up on guards because they can hear your footsteps if you're moving fast enough.
Unless you're wearing a sneaking suit, in which case I think they can't hear you unless you're sprinting.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65NFpo_GzM

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo the water gun is so good. I might try water gun only for a while to teach myself to rely on gadgets more than I already do.

Also a fun trick if you want to destroy a generator that I'm sure you all know already. Turn it off and set a claymore instead of c4 or a grenade. You can rack up a free kill while still destroying the generator. Not great if you're trying to ghost it but it works well if you like big distractions.