Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
You have Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, Jeffrey Wright and the highest production values you should aim higher than alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Westworld Season 3: Interstella 5555

An Ounce of Gold posted:

This show's writing went SOUTH so fast it should be retitled to Bad Writing World... Wait I had something here.

Welpworld.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 27, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would be very okay with S3 just being a ten hour long music vid for Something About Us and Digital Love ngl

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

How are u posted:

Are there some examples of other shows that demonstrate the level of quality that you guys are looking for?
True Detective Season 1.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Nic Pizzolatto thinks reddit is full of "loving faggots."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

esperterra posted:

I would be very okay with S3 just being a ten hour long music vid for Something About Us and Digital Love ngl

Nothing but Radiohead and flared handheld footage of people walking through wheat.

Yeah, there are 3 different virtual reality environments this season, huh? The Cradle, the Forge and the Valley Beyond. I kinda feel like the first two should be the same thing, at least. It's one too many cryptic bits of scifi lore for the premise to handle, it reminds me of Matrix: Reloaded. This whole season kind of did.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
great finale, loved the stubbs reveal, don't quite get why so many people found it difficult to follow

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

great finale, loved the stubbs reveal, don't quite get why so many people found it difficult to follow

The Stubbs reveal or the entire season? Because neither made much sense.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

esperterra posted:

Daft Punk's Electroma would make a great S3

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I mean they did just blast a bunch of poo poo into space. There's a very clear segue to redemption here.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 28, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm surprised how much the internet liked season 2 outside this thread.

even my coworkers who still thought the last few seasons of game of thrones were good thought the finale was bad.

and i agree i wish it just ended with the revolt at the end of season 1. it REALLY doesn't feel like they got 5 seasons of material.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Most of the good shows are based on books.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How are u posted:

Are there some examples of other shows that demonstrate the level of quality that you guys are looking for?

better call saul. but that's not really fair since it's the best show on tv.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Better Call Saul turned out to be a way better show than Breaking Bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Most of the people with complaints in this thread didn't find it difficult to follow at all. Just lackluster and kinda dumb.

Hoping S3 they ease back a bit on the obfuscation for the sake of reveals that barely land.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I think a lot of people who watched the show and paid attention found it difficult to follow.

https://www.avclub.com/welcome-to-tvs-golden-age-of-what-the-hell-did-i-just-1827118136

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have no confidence that they can recapture what season 1 had. The whole time in season 2 I kept thinking "Yeah this is weird, but they will bring it all together in the end." But it's just a big jumbled mess of things that make no sense. Like someone set up a story and then someone else came in who had no idea how anything works tried to finish the story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, for sure.

re: there being ppl who found it hard to follow

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

How are u posted:

The first season of this show, for one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This season was written on the fly to appeal to the online fanbase and give them what they wanted and it shows really badly.

the whole ShogunWorld thing was loving stupid. Its just like how seeing the Xenomorph skull in the Predators ship at the end of Predator 2 gave us the AVP movies - it was a cool little concept on its own but when actually fleshed out it was never going to work because the two things were never really created with interaction in mind.

Shogunworld could have been a cool bottle episode later in the shows lifespan (like an alternative perspective on the host uprising from the end of S1) but instead it was thrown in to the primary story in a really hamfisted way and for little to no real use to the progression of the story either. The same goes for the 'other' parks like Rajworld.

God, I cant get over how loving messy and just uneventful this entire season was.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah, this season should've been short and sharp.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

tino posted:

Most of the good shows are based on books.

The Expanse is killing it right now and can actually make good season finales.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Mike the TV posted:

The Expanse is killing it right now and can actually make good season finales.

Checking in from The Expanse thread to say hell yes!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is anyone else wondering if they made Stubbs a host just so they could end the season with only Felix and Sylvester being the last remaining characters not yet seen to be hosts?

Like it almost feels like they systematically killed nearly every human character this season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How are u posted:

Checking in from The Expanse thread to say hell yes!

Please. No one even turned out to be a secret robot protomolecule hybrid.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I couldn't make it through the first episode of The Expanse so y'all and y'all opinions on storytelling are highly suspect right now.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

just another posted:

I couldn't make it through the first episode of The Expanse so y'all and y'all opinions on storytelling are highly suspect right now.

The pilot is definitely the weakest episode of the show. Episode 4 is when it grabs most people.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 28, 2018

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
This week in unshocking news

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/27/westworld-season-2-ratings-are-down-from-season-1

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

just another posted:

I don’t think there’s any part of the Expanse that’s as good as Westworld at its best, but there’s also no part that’s as bad as Westworld at its worst. It’s a good show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Expanse is a slow start for sure. Season one is fairly rocky in general but the first 3 eps are a bit of a slog as they set up characters and places and the dynamic of the universe and poo poo.

Ep 4 is the tits tho and it gets better every episode from then to now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

esperterra posted:

The Expanse is a slow start for sure. Season one is fairly rocky in general but the first 3 eps are a bit of a slog as they set up characters and places and the dynamic of the universe and poo poo.

Ep 4 is the tits tho and it gets better every episode from then to now.

The Expanse starts out as a decent scifi show that's a bit rough around the edges and kinda slow, and turns into an absolute masterpiece then keeps that quality up.

It's like the opposite of Westworld's quality progression, and you should all watch at least half of the first season to see if you get hooked.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 28, 2018

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The expanse is gonna be SO GOOD now that Jeff Bezos is gonna pour all of his money into it. You know it.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Just want to drive by and give Altered Carbon a shout out.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Same, I enjoyed the finale a lot. I have to admit though that reading the timeline.img posted a few pages earlier beforehand helped a lot, I would probably have been confused in several scenes.

Season itself had a few lengthy episodes but those were made up for by some great episodes (especially e08).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tino posted:

Just want to drive by and give Altered Carbon a shout out.

also fucc the h8rs dichen lachman is one of the best parts of that show

FIGHT ME

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Re: nonexistent claims of confusion, I did, up to and through the finale, feel a bit disoriented every time Bernard shows up, sometimes actually pausing to consider where in the timeframe it was. But I honestly enjoyed those bits and puzzling that out.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Entropic posted:

Better Call Saul turned out to be a way better show than Breaking Bad.
Hot take: BCS season 2 is what happens when you know you're going to get picked up for season 3+ before you've even started. It was very plodding to the point of indulgence, and I enjoy slow burning stuff.

Also I can't understand the mindset of people who "loved the Stubbs reveal". There was nothing that built up to it, it just happened. And don't tell me how it was subtle and "there if you were looking for it" because no one involved in the show including the actor playing him knew it was happening until the night before. Any nuance that is claimed in retrospect is in the viewer's head.

Contrast that with the Bernard reveal, you know one where they actually planned for it to happen and where the show left subtle breadcrumbs for you to pick up on and have a greater appreciation of in retrospect (e.g. Ford telling Bernard that "I know how that head of yours works" - a brilliant bit of double-meaning dialogue). The Stubbs reveal was 100% "we've got 5 minutes runtime left and are 1 reveal short of our quota".

I know it's a curse of many television shows that the first season or two are sharp because there is a trajectory that has been sold to a TV channel and a certainty in that you have at least a season's worth of breathing space before you have to start justifying being picked up for another season. I don't know the answer to that really.. save for having the integrity not to undermine the quality of your past work by churning out a load of freewheeling poo poo because you literally have no idea yourself where you're going, who your characters are or what you want them to become. Other shows have managed it - so there's no excuse.

The fact that the Nolans have pretty much said "wait and see" in response to whose brain balls ended up in Hale's handbag says everything really. They don't know themselves and will probably cruise /r/westworld when the time comes to start writing and see if there is a poll about who should be in there, and use that as the basis of weaving Season 3's ~story~. Elsie will probably be in there, because - psyche - didn't you know she was one too??

Westworld season 2 really is disappointing when you compare it to the first season. Very little of it stands up to basic scrutiny before the fundamental logic of it collapses. If you have to paper over the architecture of it all just to make it even approach coherence that is not a deep cerebral show, it's a pile of poorly written poo poo.

EDIT: Also while I'm ranting I can't believe "hats are the mechanism for scanning humans" got out of the writers room. That said, it amuses me greatly that guests would be constantly reminded to put their hats back on when they're out and about, and wear them in ShogunWorld even though it's not apropos.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 28, 2018

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every time I remember the hats, I think of that guy who interrupts Hector's dramatic speech in s1, who I believe never wears a hat at all.

Ridiculous. Just saying "oh, we tag the guests with subdermal chips and btw they keep sending data after they leave the park" would've been creepy violation enough, if it gets complicated you could say it's an independent unit that they secretly remove st the detox resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The way they handled Bernard was so well done in S1. What sealed it for me, early before the reveal, was setting up the idea of a host being unable to see something they're programmed to ignore, specifically with a picture. Then lingering on that strangely framed photo of old Ford and his robodad, and so much empty space where clearly another person must have been standing. I also enjoyed hearing more and more about Arnold and his ideals and it ringing strangely true with the conversations we see of (who we assume to be) Bernard sitting down with Dolores.

Bernard was a case of laying out the right breadcrumbs to let people realize what's going on, or at the very least open to the possibility. Then the reveal comes and it feels satisfying, since they built to it from the start.

The William reveal was done well, too, with it's breadcrumbs and tiny differences scenes that take place in the same locations, like dropping a line about how Clem used to be the madame, and have her outside the brothel instead of Maeve. I take serious umbrage, as we all know, with some of their editing tricks and contrivances to make it all seem like the same timeline. My issue there is those scenes (like the Stubbs one) weren't needed to it apper as all one timeline. We've already established that Dolores' head is all hosed up, due to how host memories are all felt at once, etc. So to have some of her scenes seem to run out of place with her William storyline wouldn't spoil the twist. She is tripping all sorts of balls 24/7, and clearly so.

tbh my only real issue with the twist itself, rather than the way they tried to hide it, was I felt we didn't get enough hints at the kind of man William really was before he snapped and went black hat, so his sudden turn didn't feel very earned to me. That and it had like 0 thematic relevance to present Billy's story and felt like kind of a waste, when the relevant backstory pieces it does lend to present William-- his connection with Delos, his fixation on Dolores/etc-- could have easily been told through dialogue or Dolores-centric flashbacks. It just felt like a lot of wasted time, when freeing Dolores of the Young William storyline could have opened her stuff up to be even more mind bendy and weird as she travels through the memories a bunch of old broken loops.

The lack of much thematic relevance didn't bother me much before, but after S2 I can't stop thinking about it. It's there so we can have an 'ah! but they meet again at this same spot their friendy journey took them to 30 years ago, but as enemies!' moment. Which ... would have been fine if it led to season 2 having them facing off more clearly as rivals. Instead we get them meeting in the finale of season 2, having maybe three lines of dialogue before she blows his hand off in a rly convoluted way and peaces out lmfao.

S2: making poo poo from S1 suddenly bother me on a level it didn't before

And yet I still really loved watching it, and had zero real issues (beyond finding it overdone now) with how it presented its story. I just think its story went mostly nowhere and in retrospect made parts of S1 feel like they also went nowhere.

Despite that, I have high hopes S3 can be good again. If only because they're free of what I hope was just a rly uneven prologue to the next three seasons.

But hey, even if it's schlock I'll enjoy it.