Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyways, any hints or tips for Avernum 3? I played through 1-2 and the Avadon trilogy.

Dual wielder, bowman, priest, wizard is still the way to go?

Probably the only thing I'm really wondering about is the use of kittens and lizards. I think Avernum 2 counted up xp so that even metahuman party members with negative xp traits didn't fall far behind their aryan comrades - is that still the case?

Oh, and during the steam sale I'll happy buy 1 spiderweb game (aside from Avernum 3) for any person in the thread.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo man, that's a hell of an offer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I went sword&board, bows, priest, mage, on Hard, and didn't have any particular difficulty outside of the early game. The bows character was a nephil, put all stat points in DEX, and focused on Gymnastics with some secondary prayers; in fairly short order she was unhittable.

One thing I noticed in A3 as compared to the previous games is that mental effects are a lot less prevalent. I don't remember getting charmed, frightened, dazed, etc. with anywhere near the regularity that I did in Avernum 1, and it's not because my frontliners' mental resistance was worth a drat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yeah, fewer foes seem to have/use those effects.

I usually go dual/pole/mage/priest and don't stress about ranged stuff.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My ranged character definitely pulled her weight; she was a great dodge tank, she provided backup prayers, and arrows are actually really frickin' helpful against several nasty enemies. There's one quest-related monster in particular that I'm sure players of the prior versions of the game can guess because they were bastards in Exile 3 / Avernum 3 as well, and if anything they're even worse now. When you want to focus down a monster as soon as they enter your radar, having a character that can fairly reliably dump two arrows into it without pre-buffing (including Adrenaline Rush, though with that they can reliably get four attacks in one round) or needing to walk into range is a major asset.

Dual-wielders will have a higher DPS, absolutely, but the archer can pick their target instead of having to attack what's close, and they never need to worry about wasting a turn walking into range first.

It is a shame that you pretty much have to neglect one of swords/polearms/bows though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have always been adamant that archery is good and its even better in A3 if you're willing to seek out the fury bow. Being able to prioritize distant targets for double shots is great.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I just really like having both melee options. :shobon:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The kickstarter is going well, only 55 hours to go and $9k from "professional sound design" which is something I'd like to see in a spiderweb game

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

bring back 2 handed swords

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

bring back 2 handed swords

What would they do differently from dual-wielded 1-handed swords?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is there a way to cheese the mirror-and-laser level in Avernum 3? It seems to me to be hot garbage that I don’t want to deal with.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
For bleeding edge, maximize everything, only play Torment, and all that kinda thing, you probably want all humans spellcasters, or three human spellcasters and their nephil archer-tank. Take a step back, and you can grab a dual wielder, still probably human. Another step back, and you can get sliths and polearms. Take a much more significant step back, and you finally have warriors with shields.

Basically, spells reign supreme, bows and dodge-tanking is a pretty good option that does pretty legit damage, dual wielding will eventually overtake archery damage on single targets but it's a shaky as hell path to get there and you lose dex dodge (so you're fragile), and polearms...have very little going for them once you get past like, the very start of the game. Strength just isn't a good stat (bring back the tri-stat system of Exile!). And shields cause your damage to plummet, so shields are for spellcasters. Humans have bonus traits which are, in fact, irreplaceable and good, nephil have bow damage and resist cold, which is specialized but real good (since dex doesn't boost your cold defenses, that lets them sneak in another defense, sorta), and sliths have...polearm damage, which isn't great, and resist fire, which isn't like, bad, it just isn't enough to carry the poor sliths. Again, the lower the difficulty, the more you can ignore this.

Note that hybriding skill-wise is never a terrible idea. Taking a minor in spells works for literally everybody; intelligence doesn't really effect blessings, cures, heals, or summons, so you can grab those without having to change up your attributes. Hybriding attributes-wise is typically a terrible idea outside of much easier difficulties; your kill stat (strength for melee, dex for bows, int for spells) effects both damage and attack, so splitting your attributes means spending more rounds whiffing and doing gently caress all. At much higher levels you might eventually even it out with the accuracy you get from leveling, but by then the game's mostly over. So, pick one and only one way to kill, but don't be afraid to take some utility skills along the way. More revivers is always good. Your rad anime as gently caress dual wielding swordsman doesn't need high intelligence to cast Blink, but their swords do the killing, not their firebolt.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Like I said, I had a sword-and-board guy playing on Hard and didn't really feel like I was penalizing myself. He wasn't putting out amazing damage -- just generally a bit higher than the archer did. And he wasn't as good a tank as the archer, but he was a more reliable tank than the archer, who tended to collapse when she did get hit. And I don't for an instant regret having a second tank, considering the scope of some of the fights you have to do.

Spellcasters don't reign nearly as supreme in Avernum 3 because there's lots of nasty enemies that are highly resistant to your best sources of magical damage. Purely physical damage is pretty much always relevant; I don't remember there being many or any steelwarded enemies.

I will say that in general Avernum 3 felt a lot easier than Avernum 1 did. I think also there's simply more to do in A3, so any remotely thorough player is going to be doing well enough experience-wise to keep up with the enemies they're facing. Level plays a huge role in how much damage you give/take and how accurate you are, to the point that higher difficulties in A1 are in no small part an exercise of finding the next bit of content you can use to level up enough to face the next next bit. If you try to take on overleveled content, you'll get your face punched in and be unable to do any damage to speak of. But once you're appropriately-leveled, the difference between Normal and Hard (or Hard and Torment) is much less severe. So since A3 makes it easier to be appropriately-leveled, it's de facto easier compared to prior games.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Is there a way to cheese the mirror-and-laser level in Avernum 3? It seems to me to be hot garbage that I don’t want to deal with.

If you have the mana just brute force it by entering combat and run through them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just a heads up that the Spiderweb kickstarter has less than 24 hours to go!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror

This is the first time I've ever given money to a video game kickstarter because I figure if Vogel says it's coming out in May 2019 then unless something terrible happens, it's coming out in May 2019.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Srice posted:

This is the first time I've ever given money to a video game kickstarter because I figure if Vogel says it's coming out in May 2019 then unless something terrible happens, it's coming out in May 2019.

Yeah, this is legit probably the safest kickstarter I've backed. Vogel finishes his poo poo. Better done then perfect.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What would they do differently from dual-wielded 1-handed swords?

be cool as heck

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Srice posted:

I threw $20 at it and I've never kickstarted before

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Funded $1000 short of the sound design goal. Hopefully they'll do it anyway, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I backed it at the "get the game" level. I wonder how much money he could have gotten with a full-assed campaign. I'm assuming just about everyone who backed was an existing fan who did so on the strength of Vogel/Spiderweb's name because that was one unimpressive kickstarter.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I hope he pockets the extra $9k and it helps him survive a bit longer to make more games

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How do I play the directx version of the latest Avernum 2 on Steam? Graphic options say use the shortcut in the Start Menu, but that doesn't exist on the Steam ver.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I backed it at the "get the game" level. I wonder how much money he could have gotten with a full-assed campaign. I'm assuming just about everyone who backed was an existing fan who did so on the strength of Vogel/Spiderweb's name because that was one unimpressive kickstarter.

Honestly I prefer the kickstarter we got to a more "impresive" campaign with a risk of overpromising and overreaching poo poo

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Playing through Avernum 3. It's big and engaging.

I swear this is my biggest issue right now - you've spent two re-remakes belaboring "no, you can't rest in the inn and ask for rumors". And you just toss it out with no comment in reremake 3. At least show some commitment to your terrible, terrible running gags.

Are we going to have companions and horses in reeeeeeeeemake 4?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

He said he won't be remaking 4-6. The engine is new enough in those.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm honestly really happy with the inns approach in 3. Only the big cities are auto-restoration, which means you can actually get a long way from civilization and have it mean something. It also means that it's not a total giveaway when you enter a town that's secretly a dungeon and you don't get an automatic HP/SP refill.

Plus, thematically, it was stupid that your party was never able to sleep.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dmboogie posted:

Honestly I prefer the kickstarter we got to a more "impresive" campaign with a risk of overpromising and overreaching poo poo

He didn't need to promise anything more, just make the the campaign page less crummy. I just have a hard time imagining anyone who saw it but was unfamiliar with his previous work actually giving him any money. It looked the game he was proposing to make was about one notch above The Demon Rush.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm honestly really happy with the inns approach in 3. Only the big cities are auto-restoration, which means you can actually get a long way from civilization and have it mean something. It also means that it's not a total giveaway when you enter a town that's secretly a dungeon and you don't get an automatic HP/SP refill.

Plus, thematically, it was stupid that your party was never able to sleep.

My party of Slith Anama Warrior Monks doesn't have time for sleep, they have to kill magic!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Still slowly working my way through my first Avernum 1 re-remake. Hit level 11 a bit ago, also found the Mages Tower. Currently trying to figure out what content I can live through to get me to 12, at which point I give everyone sage lore and go on a grand tour of the early game book pedestals, boosting my damage output by... A bit? Eh.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Does anyone who played the original Exiles have any advice for adjusting to the (re)remakes? I tried the demo a while ago and enough had changed that I couldn't really get into it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What specifically is bugging you?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

In Avernum 3, is it worth investing points to give casters Adrenaline Rush? I remember that it was considered a good move for Avernum 1 or 2 but spending 15 points on weapons skills per caster feels steep. Was it cheaper before?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

In Avernum 3, is it worth investing points to give casters Adrenaline Rush? I remember that it was considered a good move for Avernum 1 or 2 but spending 15 points on weapons skills per caster feels steep. Was it cheaper before?
Same cost before. Just as before, you can get weapons training for up to 8 points without investing any skill points, and get a bunch of equipment that raises weapon skills.

I'm not sure if it's the absolute optimal strategy, but by the late game (20 in magic / priest spells, spellcraft and resistance maxed out) I was actually raising Hardiness and Parry for my casters, which requires melee / pole weapons to be 10 anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Do you want to be able to cast three spells in one turn? It's maybe a little less amazing than it was in the first two games, mostly because I think enemies are more spell-resistant than they used to be, but it's still pretty amazing/gamebreaking.

I can't remember where the Discipline Blade is in A3, but assuming it exists it should allow you to save five skillpoints for one of your casters.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Xander77 posted:

Just as before, you can get weapons training for up to 8 points without investing any skill points

How?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Buy them at a trainer.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i got the spiderweb library in the setam sale - what order should i play these bad boys in and/or what's the best intro game? I'm a tactics rpg guy so i'm not afraid of complicated or involved stuff I just want something where the mechanics are pretty solid and there's good depth in the options so i can do interesting stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Impermanent posted:

i got the spiderweb library in the setam sale - what order should i play these bad boys in and/or what's the best intro game? I'm a tactics rpg guy so i'm not afraid of complicated or involved stuff I just want something where the mechanics are pretty solid and there's good depth in the options so i can do interesting stuff.

Avernum: Escape From the Pit is a really good jumping in point.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Impermanent posted:

brief rundown of the three series:

Geneforge has the most interesting/unique setting, and the gameplay is pretty neat too: you only have one primary character; the rest of your party consists of various creatures you create to fight for you. Unfortunately, Geneforge 1 is hideously old and janky at this point, and while it's a game worth struggling through (and the rest of the series is more polished) it will be a struggle. Remakes for it are in the works, but it'll be at least a couple years so don't hold your breath.

Avernum is basically a dungeon-crawling sandbox where you create a party of four duders to explore underground fantasy Australia. The writing's serviceable but not really the selling point; but since you're a tactics rpg guy you'll probably dig the series; I haven't played the second or third game so if they change things up at all I couldn't tell you.

Avadon is the most "standard" of his games; you create a single main character and have several predefined characters to party with, with dialogue and sidequests and everything. The setting's kinda boring but you basically play as the fantasy secret police, which is a nice twist. I still really enjoyed my time with it but it's a lot more streamlined than the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you want the combat to be more challenging, you should at least turn the difficulty up to Hard. Normal is pretty easy for anyone that understands basic tactics, while Hard and Torment require more care both in character building and in exactly what you do on each turn. Do be aware though that level plays heavily into combat calculations, so being underleveled can make fights difficult to impossible, and being overleveled will make them considerably easier, even on the higher difficulty levels. I've never subjected myself to Torment, but I'm lead to believe that a considerable part of its strategy is figuring out the path through the game that lets you face off against reasonably-leveled opponents.

Seconding the advice to start with Avernum: Escape from the Pit, by the way.