Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Slow frame rate, quests AND enemy battles don't gel together, annoying load times for the customisation and the inability to squish the screen so I can see what quests it's telling me to do. Seriously regretting having bought this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
By everything I've seen and read about it from friends that have it I literally can't believe how badly they've hosed the pooch on it. GB2 and GB3 were both solid steps forward and iterated on the core concept in mostly positive ways, so I figured there would be no way they could gently caress up the core gameplay even with the focus on bolting a dating VN to it, but instead it looks like they took it out back and shot it in the head like ACE R did to the ACE series.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I get the feeling the engine change didn't go as planned in a really, really catastrophic way.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I really wish Suzaku had a cooler Ace Bonus in these games. Its so much more hype when something like the Curse of the Geass animation goes off partway through a stage instead just having it active from the beginning.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 24, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Man I really wish Suzaku had a cooler Ace Bonus in these games. Its so much more hype when something like the Curse of the Geass animation goes off partway through a stage instead just having it active from the beginning.

Yeah, I admit that's one thing I dislike about those kind of bonuses. I like seeing the character/mecha skill animations go off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finally starting A Portable instead of finishing X. I like the way Lamia was translared so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't understand how the hell are you supposed to prevent the Nadesico from getting blasted to bits on mission 9. Everyone guns for it and the stupid thing fires its gravity gun instead of defending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I don't understand how the hell are you supposed to prevent the Nadesico from getting blasted to bits on mission 9. Everyone guns for it and the stupid thing fires its gravity gun instead of defending.

literally just surround it with all your bodies such that the enemy cant attack it

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Looks like there's gonna be an SRW Channel livestream going live in 30 minutes or so. From the description, it's going to cover new series featured in Cross Omega plus some stuff about SRW-related merch.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I want the hell out of that Alexa Haro thing :stare:

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Build Fighters in X-O

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I want the hell out of that Alexa Haro thing :stare:

I find it funny that as technology advances in the real world, Amuro building Haro by himself in MSG gets less and less impressive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HitTheTargets posted:

I find it funny that as technology advances in the real world, Amuro building Haro by himself in MSG gets less and less impressive.

Victory Haro remains impressive though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HitTheTargets posted:

Yeah it's telling that Yas retcons that in The Origin to Amuro building him from a kit, although I do believe they still note him as having upgraded Haro above and beyond his default specs

Similarly The Origin has it so Amuro is already reading through the Gundam's specs even before Zeon attacks, so he already has some familiarity with it before getting in it

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Dude got a Raspberry Pi and wrote the 0079 equivalent to HELLO WORLD: "Haro Genki"

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Regarding the Armour conversation, as someone making SRW fangames, it's hard to find good balanced numbers which lie between "units explode in 2/3 hits and only drastic measures can change that" (AP / D) and "your guys are effectively invincible and armour upgrades lowers the chance of death from small to infinitely minuscule" (Most of the modern SRWs) when it comes to this.

I'm not very good at the whole "Math" thing and just mostly wing it, but I think it has to do with how the Attack and Defense values are both exponential multiplicative formulas, but the damage result is a basic subtraction (Attack - Defense) formula. The former also outscales the latter significantly due to how Weapon Base Power inflates while Armor values make relatively small gains, so increasing Armor affects enemy mooks with their anemic base attack much more than end-game Bosses who will generally 1 or 2 shot an average player unit.

(For the sake of simplicity I'm ignoring stuff like Terrain and Size bonuses since they don't change the underlying logic)

Winkysoft without a Defense stat makes this even worse because now you have an exponential formula scaling against a Linear one, though unless you want to play MK, most people won't be subject to their particular brand of Game Design nowadays.

So like... the more threatening a unit is offensively, the less you can actually do to mitigate that through Armor upgrades. But there's no point in upgrading your defenses if the enemies aren't threatening in the first place, so what can I say - it's kinda paradoxical?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Quick question, is the G-self's ultimate attack with the perfect pack a pre-move one or post-move? I'm considering giving Bell hit and run, switching the G-self to space pack with a flight unit part, so that I can use that sweet higher damage finisher, but I'm not sure if that would be useful or not in the long run.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Ashsaber posted:

Quick question, is the G-self's ultimate attack with the perfect pack a pre-move one or post-move? I'm considering giving Bell hit and run, switching the G-self to space pack with a flight unit part, so that I can use that sweet higher damage finisher, but I'm not sure if that would be useful or not in the long run.

Post move, though it's second best is pre-move and it DOES get a map attack.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Inferno-sama posted:

Post move, though it's second best is pre-move and it DOES get a map attack.

Thanks. 300 pp is a drop in the bucket in the long term

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I just finished my first run taking all Super (read: mashin) routes today and got the regular ending.

The final battle ended up kind of like punching my way out of a wet paper bag, considering that I wiped out every one of the final bosses' reinforcements in a single round with TTGL. Still satisfying though.

Now for my expert mode run, where I try to use as many female pilots as possible.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Inferno-sama posted:

Slow frame rate, quests AND enemy battles don't gel together, annoying load times for the customisation and the inability to squish the screen so I can see what quests it's telling me to do. Seriously regretting having bought this game.

If I was in a better financial position I might have not, but I returned mine. I would have just sucked it all up if you could at least suffer play through the campaign in the same way that you could with GB3. I loved GB3 (except the story itself) and even better was the ability to just create a lobby, invite my one GB playing friend, then just mess around building parts until we were ready to go off on a story mission in co-op.

Now, you're limited to a 3v3 style where you can only play VS other people in the arena/random-mission structure option. So the one time we decided to give it a go, it took 4-5 minutes to find a third player, then another 4-5 minutes after launching to find another group to play against only for that third rando to (quite rightly) bail on the idea anyway. You can't even add bots to your game despite the campaign being literally MP-but-instead-with-bots.

So the only option is soloing the campaign, which I might have been okay with before the constant pausing for asset loading, iffy mid-battle swapping mechanics and input delay and oddly design changes to combat (why does my heavy charge attack just phase me through enemies?). To be honest, when I saw the Unreal Engine 4 logo come on my new Japanese-dev PS4 game, I was already concerned.

I was seriously tempted to pick up Dissidia after returning NGB; at least I know I can grind out content with bots in the same-ish format. The game went back to the :australia: equivalent of Gamestop this morning (who have a 7-days-no-questions-asked return policy); I'll pick it up again when it's at least 50% off just because, but it's hard to want to support the idea of Western released Gundam games when we get Gundam VS, which is the equivalent of an indie dev creating an MP-only game which arrives with it's MP element DOA, and then ... this :(

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 30, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Victory Haro remains impressive though.

I was always curious on the lore of Victory Haro.

Like, the thing can loving pilot mobile suits. He got it as a gift from his parents, who we knew were kind of insane to begin with, right?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I just assume that Haros developed exponentially like most technology tends to. Like how cell phones 30 years ago were barely functional bricks that could call people and that was it and now they're wafer-thin high-powered personal computers that can accomplish more functions than a Star Trek Tricorder, 0079 Haro was a dumb toy robot that rolled around and spouted a few simple sentences, whereas Haro 60 years later is basically a fully functional AI.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
So I finally got myself a copy of SRW V. Good news for me, right? Except it seems I accidentally ordered the PS4 version when I only own a Vita... And in my excitement, I didn't realize my mistake until I had opened the case and saw a disc inside instead of the excpected cartridge, so I don't think I can get a refund on it :cripes:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Boksi posted:

So I finally got myself a copy of SRW V. Good news for me, right? Except it seems I accidentally ordered the PS4 version when I only own a Vita... And in my excitement, I didn't realize my mistake until I had opened the case and saw a disc inside instead of the excpected cartridge, so I don't think I can get a refund on it :cripes:

On the plus side it'll be easy for you to sell it and get your money back

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Holy Cats. I am finally within striking distance of finishing my Vorlent run of SRW J after who knows how long. Blew up the last SEED enemies, so it's only 3 stages of OG enemies left.

Thankfully there's no other fan-translated retro SRWs to divide my attention from X and non-SRW games, right?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
If only there was a fantranslation patch of Impact.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Holy Cats. I am finally within striking distance of finishing my Vorlent run of SRW J after who knows how long. Blew up the last SEED enemies, so it's only 3 stages of OG enemies left.

Thankfully there's no other fan-translated retro SRWs to divide my attention from X and non-SRW games, right?

A Portable got translated if you haven't played that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hellioning posted:

A Portable got translated if you haven't played that.

Also Masoukishin, Hero Senki, and most Great Battles. Sorry, but that's the joke. :shrug:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Also Masoukishin, Hero Senki, and most Great Battles. Sorry, but that's the joke. :shrug:

Ah. Went over my head, sorry.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MechaX posted:

If only there was a fantranslation patch of Impact.

Two answers to this.

1) I keep bugging the guy hacking Alpha 2 to give me an Impact script dump and he refuses on principle :v:
2) The game is so unstable in PCSX2 that it once crashed for me during the intermission dialogue right after starting a new game, before we even got to a single stage.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just beat the stage where the Gods of Olympus showed up in X, and my god the numbers I got there. I buffed Mazinger Z up to like 3 pips in weapons and threw on the part from a dlc that adds 2 move and +300 power to all melee weapons,gave Kouji Attacker, used Lelouch's special attack command, the level 4 and 6 dogmas, a rust tornado, analyze and a few stat up EXC Orders, and Kouji hit the boss for 46.5k. Could have been more if I had used surround bonuses.

And now everyone is going 'Oh boy, the Keepers of Order are here, this is going to be awesome!':neckbeard::neckbeard:, when its clear from a mile away to anyone who has ever played a video game that they're going to gently caress us over real soon.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Hokuto posted:

Two answers to this.

1) I keep bugging the guy hacking Alpha 2 to give me an Impact script dump and he refuses on principle :v:
2) The game is so unstable in PCSX2 that it once crashed for me during the intermission dialogue right after starting a new game, before we even got to a single stage.

Since you worked on X, maybe they'll let you work on the sequel: SRW Second Impact.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

Since you worked on X, maybe they'll let you work on the sequel: SRW Second Impact.

Much like V did not have Victory Gundam and X did not have Gundam X, SRW Second Impact will not have Eva.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had taken a break from X for a while and just came back to it, and ran into a SR point where you have to cast seven total seishins on one unit at the same time. It’s those kinds of wacky SRs that I hope I see more of in the future.

But still, I think SRW is in a bad rut. I really hope the next game, if there even is one, is a much bigger jump in all respects than V was from Z3.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SRW has been in a rut for a very long time. I love the franchise to death but they seem terrified to actually mess with the gameplay on any meaningful level, and any actual gameplay innovations they make are ignored(Neo) or gradually walked back until they're effectively gone(platoons).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

SRW has been in a rut for a very long time. I love the franchise to death but they seem terrified to actually mess with the gameplay on any meaningful level, and any actual gameplay innovations they make are ignored(Neo) or gradually walked back until they're effectively gone(platoons).
Yeah, but especially recently. If the next SRW game is just X or V with a different story then I think that might be it.

I’m totally up for an actual for real finally OG3 though.

Edit: I don’t like the map graphics for OG at all though. It becomes really hard to tell the difference between similar looking units at a glance, and the elevation obscures things just like it did back in freaking Impact.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 11, 2018

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had taken a break from X for a while and just came back to it, and ran into a SR point where you have to cast seven total seishins on one unit at the same time. It’s those kinds of wacky SRs that I hope I see more of in the future.

But still, I think SRW is in a bad rut. I really hope the next game, if there even is one, is a much bigger jump in all respects than V was from Z3.

I love SRW to death but I agree, could use a shake up. Hope they shake things up with the next game, or they pump out another V/X but also point out that they're working on something big and V/X the third is to tide us over while they work on it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah but when's the next OG game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
If they redo OG animations again I will probably die.

• Locked thread