Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
OK, to not make a comment when I'm half asleep.

There four EZ build boxes coming out with AoS 2.0.

I firmly think the 8 new Shadespire boxes will not be repeats of any of those boxes. Similar to how there was an EZ build of 5 bloodbound and an EZ build of 5 different bloodbound for Garreks Reavers in the Shadespire box.

But yes, they are too similar for Shadespire where differentiating between a small number of models is important as oppose to hams where units are meant to look cohesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Well it’s already happened, the minis from the Shadespire war bands are available for pre-order.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Giant Ethicist posted:

The only reason I wouldn't necessarily think most of those are destined to be Shadespire warbands is, aside from the first group of Stormcast, an almost complete lack of differentiation amongst the models, especially in the ghosts. With the notable exception of the Dwarves, all the warbands for Shadespire so far have been really good at giving each model in the warband a clear, easily-identifiable silhouette, usually with different weapon loadouts. Since each model has its own rules, that's really important from a gameplay perspective.

I could be wrong (I hope I'm not), but thinking about playing against those (awesome-looking, to be sure) banshees, all of which look basically exactly the same, makes my eye go all twitchy.

That's a really good point about the undead. Confusing one model for another can really mess up a game

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
My 40k Jungle Daemon army uses skeletons as Bloodletters, so decided to mix the Shadespire warband in with the standard Tomb King troops. Make it look like adventurers from around the system have come seeking treasure in the ancient ruins, died, and joined the ranks of the undead.

Already posted in the 40k thread for that reason, but they're definitely more appropriate to post here.

Here's the rest of the army that I currently have photos of - all Sigmar models. Lots more on the way...

https://imgur.com/a/iszfTpg

Now I just need to get better with them in Shadespire! My girlfriend plays Fyreslayers, which rack up glory just by camping on objectives. My limited skellie mobility and need for coordinated assaults to take the dwarfs down puts me at a disadvantage. Any suggestions? Our current card library is limited, but we're down to print any we want and put them in sleeves.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That Warden is gorgeous, they're all great but drat that cape

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Knorth posted:

That Warden is gorgeous, they're all great but drat that cape
Thanks! It was a bold move and I doubted myself for a little while in the painting process - at one point it looked like a giant swirling pinata cape - but I'm glad I stuck with it. I think the warband is a fresh, tropical take on the gloomy skeleton bunch.

Someone asked for individual shots, so might as well share them here. I was originally planning on some swirly fleur-de-lys-style designs in bone on the purple cloak, but got lazy. Should I go back and add that?

Can't wait for my Catachan to bust up these bony boys, as per the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Your other cloth details look really nice so yeah, I'd say go for it

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:perfect:

drat that's a good looking cloak!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That cloak is so good.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Goddamn dude. Great Skeletons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Shardgale would trigger Massive Assault, right? :thunk:

And yea holy poo poo that cloak is :krad:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Shardgale would trigger Massive Assault, right? :thunk:
No, fighters are only your figures + their cards. It has to say warband for ploy cards to count.

And yeah, that cloak is ace.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
There's a new FAQ out, and one of the things it answers is what counts as "warband". Helpful, as that was a persistent argument on the Shadespire FB group.

I started a Farstriders deck on Sunday, and bloody Hell they're a good warband. I'm nowhere near optimising it but had two solid 2-0 victories against experienced opponents with Fiends and Reavers. I think it massively helped that I won board placement each time (choosing lengthways), you can sit back and plink away at them while they advance - especially if you force them down bottlenecks. You don't even need to inspire them, as really the only thing that improves is the defence dice.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the new faq is really helpful. I really like that they they clarify that several reactions can be played during an attack action.

I'm have trouble dealing with Fiends in our league. I play as the Reavers, and I'm having a hard time killing dudes, so it's difficult to get the first glory that'll turn my guys into murder-machines.
I think I need to try the Farstriders in our next league season, they seem fun.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm have trouble dealing with Fiends in our league. I play as the Reavers, and I'm having a hard time killing dudes, so it's difficult to get the first glory that'll turn my guys into murder-machines.

I think the biggest problem is lack of Cleave - when I was running Cruel Taunt, I'd throw that on whoever it is that gets Cleave when they inspire. Plus Fiends are only ever full aggro, so I'd happily murder whichever Reavers I could because it scored objectives, gave me kill glory and reduced activations for Reavers.

That said, Reavers have higher movement than uninspired Fiends. Deploy further back, and if you win the first turn roll off then let Fiends go first. If they don't have a plan B or a high movement card, they'll waste an activation moving if they can't start their momentum without any kills. And if they send somebody forward without any assists, mill for cards so you know you can score 4 damage in one hit or move back.

Have you looked at any of the winning decks? Aggro Reavers came top of the LGT and the deck could give you some ideas.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have looked at that deck, and I definitely need to incorporate some things from it into my own. Illusory Fighter looks great for charging in, chopping a guy and then teleporting out, and the shadeglass weapons look great to slap onto the two weak boys.
Then I'll just need to play smarter, and I'll be king of the league!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

The biggest thing that reading the LGT top 3 lists don't tell you, is not to half-rear end it. If you can't kill somebody useful/score an objective in one activation, then don't. Milling for a useful ploy/objective is generally better than losing a model to an attack/counter-charge. At least this is how it works in London, where it's all aggro all the time.

And with Reavers vs Fiends - concentrate on killing the dog, followed by the leader. The other two will just cause problems because of their uninspired reaction, which can inspire them. The dog will be the primary killing model because Fiends won't need to use Magore's default cleave, and they will have to use the hound's extra movement to get to you.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it seems pretty important to not let them get any attacks in if possible, and go for the one shots.
I'll try it out the next time I have a match against them, but my local community is only like 12 guys so it might be a while!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How the gently caress do you play Skeletons? I just hodgepodged a deck together with remainders from my Ork, Rat, and Skeleton expansions and played my coworker's Reavers.

Round 1 on his third activation he played Mighty Swing and charged in with Saek, killing The Champion, The Harvester, and A Petitioner :stare:

So it was pretty much GG at that point, and he ended up tabling me by the of Round 2.

Obviously I'll separate my good fighters and it was just bad luck he had Mighty Swing for Saek ready to go but I'm just sitting here thinking how the hell do you even play this Warband. They're slow, they have poo poo defense. I just don't get how you accomplish anything with them.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sab669 posted:

How the gently caress do you play Skeletons? I just hodgepodged a deck together with remainders from my Ork, Rat, and Skeleton expansions and played my coworker's Reavers.

Round 1 on his third activation he played Mighty Swing and charged in with Saek, killing The Champion, The Harvester, and A Petitioner :stare:

So it was pretty much GG at that point, and he ended up tabling me by the of Round 2.

Obviously I'll separate my good fighters and it was just bad luck he had Mighty Swing for Saek ready to go but I'm just sitting here thinking how the hell do you even play this Warband. They're slow, they have poo poo defense. I just don't get how you accomplish anything with them.

Did you forget about the Warden's power to bring your dead dudes back into play stronger then before. (And to move two of them at once.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My first few activations were spent using him to move my guys around so that I could score the "All surviving fights (5+) moved" objective, but when he cleaved 3 down immediately I just pretty much gave up.

I took my final activation to put damage on Garrek, he went first Turn 2 and killed The Warden, then I killed Garrek.

I'm aware of the Wardens extra abilities but even with them I just have no idea what these guys want to even be doing.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

My first few activations were spent using him to move my guys around so that I could score the "All surviving fights (5+) moved" objective, but when he cleaved 3 down immediately I just pretty much gave up.

I took my final activation to put damage on Garrek, he went first Turn 2 and killed The Warden, then I killed Garrek.

I'm aware of the Wardens extra abilities but even with them I just have no idea what these guys want to even be doing.

I think they could do well with a objective control deck, but I haven't played them enough to say anything about them.
Mischievous Spirits and Shifting Shards lets you move objectives onto starting hexes so you can call dudes right back onto them if they're killed, which I assume would be useful.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Electric Hobo posted:

I think they could do well with a objective control deck, but I haven't played them enough to say anything about them.
Mischievous Spirits and Shifting Shards lets you move objectives onto starting hexes so you can call dudes right back onto them if they're killed, which I assume would be useful.

I was planning on building objective based skellybones jones, but I didn't even think of moving the objectives. The lack of restrictions on the movements really lets you break things over your knee. I'm assuming you're more or less looking to hang out in your own field with that faction and make sure you have massive amounts of support dice with them.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the leader cards, a new map and universal sleeves are going to drop July 14!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is it weird that I'm more excited about the new maps than anything else?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

No, I've been waiting on the new maps as an excuse to set up some 3 or 4 player games.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Nah, we allow proxy cards in my league, so the maps will make it easier to lure in new players. Just buy your favorite warband and the map and new players are good to go.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Electric Hobo posted:

Looks like the leader cards, a new map and universal sleeves are going to drop July 14!

And here I am about to glue my nice quality copies to foamcore held together with book tape. Guess I'll have spare boards now for other people.

Speaking of multiple boards, has anybody tried four player games before? My group gave it a shot last weekend and it was awful. It boiled down to 2 1v1s with the last surviving players fighting for scraps. It seems like it just ends with a gimpy 1v1 and two other players sitting there with their thumbs up their butts waiting for the game to end. We considering forcing the boards into a 4 way intersection with the fancy artifact token dead center in no-man's land to try and get everybody into a melee asap.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

d3lness posted:

Speaking of multiple boards, has anybody tried four player games before? My group gave it a shot last weekend and it was awful. It boiled down to 2 1v1s with the last surviving players fighting for scraps. It seems like it just ends with a gimpy 1v1 and two other players sitting there with their thumbs up their butts waiting for the game to end. We considering forcing the boards into a 4 way intersection with the fancy artifact token dead center in no-man's land to try and get everybody into a melee asap.
I tried it once. Fiends and Reavers decided to duke it out in the middle, so Dwarves and Skaven just looked on and scored a few objectives, and then they moved in and mopped up the survivors.
Definitely not great, and I don't see why you wouldn't just play two 2-player games if you're 4 players any way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/28/white-dwarf-preview-updates-for-warhammer-board-games/

I'm excited about the board, but that better not be $25 for just one board.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Booyah- posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/28/white-dwarf-preview-updates-for-warhammer-board-games/

I assume "one board" means both of halves shown, and I'm sure it is $25 for that (and $18 for cards and $10 for sleeves).

$36 for the cards and boards, assuming standard discount on the various online retailers. A bit on the high end, but oh well.

I want to know what those red hexes are :thunk:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sab669 posted:

I want to know what those red hexes are :thunk:

quote:

In the Mirrored City, meanwhile, we’ve got a first look at an exciting set of new expansions. July will see the release of the Leader Cards – a set of ploys and objectives designed to let you make the most out of your warband leaders – as well as the Shattered City board set, allowing you to spice up your setup and introducing lethal terrain to the game. Finally, based on popular demand, we’re releasing a set of generic card sleeves designed to let you sleeve your entire collection – if you’ve got favourite cards you like to use in ALL your decks and don’t want to re-sleeve them every time you change warband, these will be invaluable.

Sounds pretty cool

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Well, there's a map on both sides :smithicide:

I hope the hidden blades and bottomless pits are just damage and not instant death. Maybe the pits are blocked hexes that doesn't block LOS, that would be pretty good for Farstriders.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

Sounds like there will also be quite a few tokens representing the traps and such. Still expensive.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Sounds like there will also be quite a few tokens representing the traps and such. Still expensive.
I think they're printed right on the boards similar to blocked hexes. If that's true then "innumerable" means 5 7 in this case.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 28, 2018

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

I think they're printed right on the boards similar to blocked hexes. If that's true then "innumerable" means 5 in this case.

if it's really one flat piece of cardboard that would be pretty absurd, they released 9 additional necromunda tiles as a pack for $40

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Necromunda-Underhive-Badzone-Delta-7-2018

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

if it's really one flat piece of cardboard that would be pretty absurd, they released 9 additional necromunda tiles as a pack for $40

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Necromunda-Underhive-Badzone-Delta-7-2018
It would definitely be way overpriced. I guess we'll see soon enough.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Finally done with these, closing in on being finished with all the warbands!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I haven’t played this yet. Is there potential for a format where you have somewhat random lists like sealed or draft from a cube? I’m interested in this game but I burnt out on making lists in X-Wing for casual friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A little more information on the leader cards and board pack. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/01/next-weeks-pre-orders-cards-teams-and-more/

Looks like the map really just is a doublesided board :(

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I haven’t played this yet. Is there potential for a format where you have somewhat random lists like sealed or draft from a cube? I’m interested in this game but I burnt out on making lists in X-Wing for casual friends

You'd probably need to sort the cards by how powerful they are somehow, but it could be possible. Draft the neutral cards, and let the players add their own faction specific cards, so they don't end up with a completely dead deck.