Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I traded in a DS Lite, Pokemon Diamond 2 and like 3 other random DS and 360 games (the first party Nintendo ones hold their value well) that I found in a box in my closet, and got a 2DS with Mario Kart for $10. Not too shabby.

Well you managed to trade in an unreleased and never before seen Pokémon game so that might be why you got so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
After being leaked multiple times, Nintendo finally got around to announcing Yokai Watch Blasters, the localised version of the first Yokai Busters game - it's out in both NA and PAL-land on September 7, split into two versions ("Red Cat Corps" and "White Dog Squad"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfwJaRTkNwo

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yokai Watch Rammers

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That could have been a modern take on Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. I am disappointed that didn’t happen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol at the name change to avoid getting sued

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They changed a bunch of stuff, the big white ghost towards the end used to be a Marshmallow Man.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Yokai Watch spinoff is a really weird thing to release considering the franchise never really managed to be a thing even back when 3ds was the main Nintendo system and it doesn't really look like something that'll knock anyone's socks off on its own. Still I am hoping we get the third game so this counts as good news in my book.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Doesn't it sell insanely well in Japan though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monk E posted:

Yokai Watch spinoff is a really weird thing to release considering the franchise never really managed to be a thing even back when 3ds was the main Nintendo system and it doesn't really look like something that'll knock anyone's socks off on its own. Still I am hoping we get the third game so this counts as good news in my book.

I just wish they'd localized more LBX games :sigh:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
My guess is Nintendo signed a deal years ago that put them on the hook for all these games and they're fulfilling their obligations in the most no-effort way possible.

Yokai Watch 3 was supposed to come to smartphones as well, that totally disappeared after a while.

I haven't really followed it for a while but I think they're rebooting the anime as a more traditional spooky yokai thing, and the new game they announced the other day is a Pokemon Go clone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

total earnings are down 80% as of the end of 2017.

– Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls – 1,317,000 copies
– Yo-kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura – 632,000 copies

So... no? Granted 600k copies is still a great amount but it's not 'massive international media empire' amounts.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Help Im Alive posted:

They way oversaturated the market with Yokai stuff and sales fell off a cliff.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they're just being haunted by a dwindling sales Yokai

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

They should make a yo-kai watch for the switch

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They announced one, it's coming this year but I don't think they've shown or talked about it much.

If it does come out this year that'll put it around two years after the last mainline game, which is around a decade in Level-5 years.

They also ported Lady Layton and Snack World (their would-be successor to Yokai Watch) and they're working on an Inazuma Eleven reboot thing as well, I think.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey, I'm fairly confident I busted one of my shoulder buttons on my new 3ds xl. If I shake my ds I can hear a lot of jiggling around on one side, so I think a spring broke or slipped or something. Anyone have any tips on getting it fixed?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey, I'm fairly confident I busted one of my shoulder buttons on my new 3ds xl. If I shake my ds I can hear a lot of jiggling around on one side, so I think a spring broke or slipped or something. Anyone have any tips on getting it fixed?

Depends on how comfortable you are disassembling electronics:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+Right+Shoulder+Button+Replacement/5644

If the answer is "not at all" you can either send it in to Nintendo, or see if you've got any local "retro game" shops in the area comfortable with doing that sort of repair.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Three more New 2DS XL designs were announced for Japan: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/f2633719-743f-11e8-b9c0-063b7ac45a6d.html

Mint with Animal Crossing New Leaf pre-installed, out July 19, 15980yen (this one was already announced for Europe)

Red/Black with Mario Kart 7 pre-installed, out July 19, 15980yen

Creeper with Minecraft pre-installed, out August 2, 16980yen

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Three more New 2DS XL designs were announced for Japan: https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/f2633719-743f-11e8-b9c0-063b7ac45a6d.html

Mint with Animal Crossing New Leaf pre-installed, out July 19, 15980yen (this one was already announced for Europe)

Red/Black with Mario Kart 7 pre-installed, out July 19, 15980yen

Creeper with Minecraft pre-installed, out August 2, 16980yen

A special edition of a Microsoft product... :eyepop:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A special edition of a Microsoft product... :eyepop:

Nintendo and Microsoft have been pretty friendly lately. They just did a joint ad about Minecraft crossplay between Switch and Xbox.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo and Microsoft have been pretty friendly lately. They just did a joint ad about Minecraft crossplay between Switch and Xbox.

Yeah I did see that the other week, but this Minecraft 2DS XL takes the cake.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i thought it was called animal forest in japan. did they adopt animal crossing as a universal title at some point or something

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

i thought it was called animal forest in japan. did they adopt animal crossing as a universal title at some point or something

Evidence that this 2DS XL may hit other regions most likely. Cheaper to have one mold I suppose. It's still very much called Dobutsu no Mori as shown in the corner of the packaging.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

I can't think of any other time I've seen it rendered in English in Japan, but I'm guessing that's always been the official English title. Japanese still says Doubutsu no Mori, Animal Forest

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Depends on how comfortable you are disassembling electronics:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+Right+Shoulder+Button+Replacement/5644

If the answer is "not at all" you can either send it in to Nintendo, or see if you've got any local "retro game" shops in the area comfortable with doing that sort of repair.

strangely I think I dropped it again and it knocked everything back into place? I don't know. I'll keep that tutorial in mind if it acts up again.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I know it's only 9 quid for the full game, but Atlus is taking the piss with giving only 3 goes on the Etrian Odyssey IV demo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only time I've ever played a demo more than once is the disk I got with my PS1 because I only had one game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Just put your 3DS into sleep mode instead of quitting the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, Bravely Second: End Layer is currently all of $19AUD as part of EB Games' current midyear sale.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

irlZaphod posted:

Just put your 3DS into sleep mode instead of quitting the game.

Hit the power button - whoops, there goes 1/3 of my demo use!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

I know it's only 9 quid for the full game, but Atlus is taking the piss with giving only 3 goes on the Etrian Odyssey IV demo.

The worst one I've encountered was the 3DS Hatsune Miku game's European demo which allowed only one start. This, combined with the fact that it didn't have any UI options (which are needed if you can't come to terms with Nintendo's button letters/colors) didn't leave a great taste. The full game is very good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

As expected, at least for the Animal Crossing 2DS XL. It's going to other regions though this is for UK. I anticipate NA to be announced soon though.

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1014041092776448000?s=09

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Think we'll ever get a new first party game on the 3DS / 2DS at this point if the console is still selling well? (Other than Captain Toad..)

They way they talk about how important it still is to them doesn't instill any confidence..

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

Think we'll ever get a new first party game on the 3DS / 2DS at this point if the console is still selling well? (Other than Captain Toad..)

They way they talk about how important it still is to them doesn't instill any confidence..

WarioWare Gold and the remakes of Luigi’s Mansion and Bowser’s Inside Story are also on the way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

At this point, it's just partner studios doing ports etc. The Nintendo division which was working on 1st party titles for 3DS was folded into the console development division a few years ago, and has been exclusively working on Switch titles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

At this point, it's just partner studios doing ports etc. The Nintendo division which was working on 1st party titles for 3DS was folded into the console development division a few years ago, and has been exclusively working on Switch titles.

There's not exactly a big glut of fresh announcements from third-party studios either. The ports are pretty much just scrounging through the back-catalogue for something fresh to put on store shelves than any real push for market share. With folding the handheld division into the console one they probably expected the 3DS to be dead and gone within a year of the Switch rolling out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It seems like they're just barely keeping it alive at this point because it's still selling reasonably well. These new editions help bump sales too and I'm sure at this stage in its lifecycle, the parts and manufacturing are dirt cheap.

As someone who bought a 3DS at launch to replace a broken DS Lite, it's amazing to me how well the system recovered from that initial 9-12 month drought. I didn't mind the crappy launch window too much, since I had a ton of DS games to play and got the Ambassador games out of it too. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hate the Goron race in Majora’s Mask so goddamn much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I hope they don't make a 3ds 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bring back the Game Boy