Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

So is Machinist fun and good these days? Bard is a bit more proc-heavy than I like. I mean, I like Red Mage a lot and that's all about procs, but they all fit into that Dualcast rhythm so I have plenty of time to think about what to hit next.

But I know very little about Machinist except that there's a heat meter and sometimes you want to overheat and pile on damage during a Wildfire window but other times you want to avoid overheating because you do less damage afterwards. Also I know that it looks extremely badass when you're in the heated state because it's all about flips and explosions. Is it as frantic as Bard can be? Do its support options feel good and useful to use (like Dismantle)?

You start a boss by loading ammo and getting ready with rapid fire, you drop your turret and start burning the boss with the flamethrower until you reach your overheat point, drop out of flamethrower and toss a wildfire bomb on it, and then dump absolutely everything you can, building from a simple shot up to your tier 3 proc and then making sure it crits with the right skill, once the bomb goes off you have no gauss barrel left anymore but you can slap it back on an isntsntly be at 50 again with a skill, from then on you're doing a simple proc game where shot 1 sometimes triggers a strong shot 2 and that leads to ste rongest shot 3, you do a couple simple skills like a 1 bullet reload to guarantee procs and then a short cooldown gaussshot. Quicker than you know it though your cooldown for the bomb is back up so you load ammo, rapid fire, tell your turret to go into overdrive and now flamethrower is back off CD so you use it to tip yourself the tiny bit overheat because it's faster than using a regular skill to do it.

And that's it pretty much, theres some more advanced tech about what order you should proc shots with and differences in how you handle groups. It's a very focused job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It sounds like MCH's procs are a little more like RDM's then, in a way, where it's more about "what's the next weaponskill I should hit" than BRD's abundance of off-GCD attacks that pop up.

I think the reason I can't handle BRD is that there's just so much to keep track of. I need to keep track of my current song and whatever procs it causes (the one that doesn't cause procs at all is a blessed relief for 30 seconds), make sure I'm hitting my various oGCDs off cooldown, keep up Straight Shot and my two DoTs, and try to pay enough attention to the fight itself to use Battle Voice, Troubadour, Foe Requiem, Refresh, and Tactician all at useful times. Oh, and dodge mechanics :v:

MCH clearly isn't super simple but it seems like you can get into a rhythm with it without having to be so reactive.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

To be more specific you have 3 direct weaponskills with names I forget so shot 1, 2 , 3. Shot 1 has a chance to proc shot 2 to do more damage, 2 can do the same for 3.

You can load ammo with a short cooldown skill that loads 1 bullet or a longer cooldown for 3. The ammo guarantees those procs. Before you've loaded the ammo though the shots might have some procs on their own so theres some small thinking you have to do like: If I have two ammo and shot 2 and 3 are procced what should I do to maximize damage?

You fire shot 3 to clear that proc and fire shot 2 to guarantee another 3 proc is what I came to but I think somebody might feel different.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

It sounds like MCH's procs are a little more like RDM's then, in a way, where it's more about "what's the next weaponskill I should hit" than BRD's abundance of off-GCD attacks that pop up.

MCH clearly isn't super simple but it seems like you can get into a rhythm with it without having to be so reactive.
When you don't have ammo loaded, you'll be mashing your 1 key a lot to fish for procs to let you use your 2 and 3 (if your second shot procs as well). I find the job absolutely infuriating because I'm used to melee jobs where your combo is a guaranteed 1-2-3, whereas on MCH I find myself spamming the dinky little 1 over and over again hoping the game will let me use the rest of my combo.

You have ammo a lot of the time so it's not that big a deal, but in those moments between reloads the job just drives me utterly batty. Add onto that the fact that your damage drops into the gutter if you goof a Wildfire, and I just cannot get into it. Which is a shame, because it's a really cool looking job.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I've said in the discord several times. If they threw the entire ammo system off a loving bridge and made the shots guaranteed to proc the next part of the combo the entire MCH experience would be massively improved.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eh, I don't really mind the RNG combo of machinist. It isn't infuriatingly random to get, and ammo comes up quickly enough that it's rarely an issue anyway.

Wildfire wiffs and invulnerability periods are still the worst though.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Eh, I don't really mind the RNG combo of machinist. It isn't infuriatingly random to get, and ammo comes up quickly enough that it's rarely an issue anyway.

Wildfire wiffs and invulnerability periods are still the worst though.

Wildfire wiffs would be less bad if you didn't have ammo to worry about since the actual Wildfire prep wouldn't be tied to a 60 second CD :v:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bolow posted:

Wildfire wiffs would be less bad if you didn't have ammo to worry about since the actual Wildfire prep wouldn't be tied to a 60 second CD :v:

3 Ammo's a 30 and the more important thing for wildfires is the 60s critical cooldown for the biggest bang and the also 60 second rapid fire cooldown so you can bang more often in the timeframe.

The ammo's the least hard part of being in the heat zone.

If I mess up part of a wildfire I course correct by just doing what I have so the timers can stay matched up and I'm not missing a big boom, I feel like that consistency is more important.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The worst part of MCH is that Flamethrower is awkward as hell. If it was just a regular OGCD that always overheated you rather than a weird channeled ability that you have to perfectly time ending with a GCD or you lose an overheated GCD would make MCH a million times smoother.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

The worst part of MCH is that Flamethrower is awkward as hell. If it was just a regular OGCD that always overheated you rather than a weird channeled ability that you have to perfectly time ending with a GCD or you lose an overheated GCD would make MCH a million times smoother.

The way the timers work out means that you're always going to be a high enough heat that it only needs a single tick to overheat you, you'll probably even have to cooldown once before.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh you meant like maximizing the shots you get, I'm not that pitch perfect yet so it doesn't bother me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smart Car posted:

Final coil basically felt like it had two "final" bosses, and honestly I'd say A11 also filled the also being a final boss theme. By that I mean they were just generally more involved fights than "regular" 8-man raid fights. So if that trend continues they could do FF7, just have Sephiroth for O11, and Omega itself for O12 still.

FF7 already has Knights of the Round almost carbon-copying every element of the summon to a detail that impressed me, they can skip to Ultimecia for all I care. The amount of effort that went into KOTR was amazing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Ultimecia's castle should be the theme of a 24-man, not an 8-man imo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There is a zero percent chance that they have Sephiroth play second fiddle to Omega. If there are two more tiers this expansion then FF7 floors are in the mix but if we have one tier left it's gonna something else with Omega at the end.

Swerve option: last tier is FF7 and Omega dies in a cutscene (normal) -> Omega becomes an Ultimate fight.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 27, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't remember if it was here or in the Discord, but someone brought up the idea that Garlemald-the-capital is basically Midgard, and I support them holding off any and all further FF7 homages until we get to Garlemald proper, and then give us the full Shin-ra/Midgard/FF7 experience.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Elentor posted:

FF7 already has Knights of the Round almost carbon-copying every element of the summon to a detail that impressed me, they can skip to Ultimecia for all I care. The amount of effort that went into KOTR was amazing.

I swear, half the reason that fight was so easy was because they just knew everybody would be too busy grinning like an idiot to pay attention. The moment I saw the knights start to come out to that swooshy red background I knew it was a Good Fight.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Easy?

My dude, you and your raid group must be demigods, because I remember when ThordEx was relevant content, poo poo was even more of a pubgrinder than Shinryu was.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Easy?

My dude, either you and your raid group are demigods, cuz when ThordEx was relevant content, poo poo was even more of a pubgrinder than Shinryu was.

they probably meant story thordan

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

My favorite part of story thordan at launch was that the dual bladedances had a pretty good chance of just vaporizing your maintank if they didn't get dpsed down first.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Tried tsukuyomi ex today Via pf, man itse like hitting your head on a brick wall :( got ole good group with a few runs on and IT only takes one Guy acting assholish for The group to dissolve

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Elentor posted:

And if it's not appreciated in Thordan, they literally frame the entirety of the FF7 KOTR summon animation shot for shot in the end of the Heavensward batch of Hildebrand quests.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Elentor posted:

Twice, even, if you count the Hildibrand parody.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cheetah7071 posted:

they probably meant story thordan

Even story Thordan was fraught with peril. Who knew that people couldn't understand that you could stand in between the slices of the cone aimed at the party? Or that if you were already spread out when chains were applied, you were hosed because you had nowhere to go to break them?

Also, yes, double-bladedance vaporizing tanks..... until tanks started puling both greedily and using their "I can't die" skill.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why won't Lainatte drop the Paissa card? It's a two star card! I shouldn't have to try this much to get it. :negative:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Even story Thordan was fraught with peril.

lol

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Even story Thordan was fraught with peril. Who knew that people couldn't understand that you could stand in between the slices of the cone aimed at the party? Or that if you were already spread out when chains were applied, you were hosed because you had nowhere to go to break them?

Also, yes, double-bladedance vaporizing tanks..... until tanks started puling both greedily and using their "I can't die" skill.

The fight is a light show and nothing more, what the gently caress are you talking about.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

are you high on crack-cocaine

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I'm not sure if I've ever seen anyone but tanks die to Story Thordan, due to the aforementioned dual blade dances.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am not kidding you when I say that I have had some really poo poo storythordans. I wish I had backed up the OBS recording from The Worst Story Thordan Ever off my computer before I reformatted this last weekend. Everything I just said all happened in a single excruciating Thordex that I stuck around for because first-time bonus. Which I, to this day, immensely regret doing. I thought, "better to let this video be no more, that was a bad time, and I'm kind of over it now". And now I don't have it anymore. =E

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What? Even at HW launch, surviving was less impressive than actually finding a way to die in Story Thordan. The dude just doesn't deal damage.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
What the hell is a Bladedance? I only remember the Heavens' Ward as adds.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in EX it's the synced tankbusters that the two tether adds use early in the fight, they look like the old melee LB1

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I went into Thordan blind and was disappointed he died so easily. EX made up for it, though.

jalapeno_dude posted:

What the hell is a Bladedance? I only remember the Heavens' Ward as adds.

There's a phase where two guys come out and need to be separated, otherwise they poo poo fury on your tanks.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
are there any good summoner guides/write-ups for recent patches? I've had this job at 70 for months so I should probably learn to play it

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

The article is misleading. Basically he was asked “Will this expansion end at 4.5 or could it go beyond that?”

His response was essentially, “We don’t want to confirm anything, but anything is possible.”

People have taken this and started spreading the false rumor “Stormblood will go beyond 4.5.” Something that was never said.

Oh, they're always glib like that. At E3 they were asked about 5.0 and both acted surprised, like "We haven't announced anything about that yet!"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Oh, they're always glib like that. At E3 they were asked about 5.0 and both acted surprised, like "We haven't announced anything about that yet!"

Yeah. Exactly. They were glib about it now there are people out there constantly pushing the rumor “4.x will go beyond to 4.6/4.7” when there is literally nothing supporting that and in fact this expansion’s patches have shown no trajectory change from last expansion so it’s simply an unfounded rumor that serves no one.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. Exactly. They were glib about it now there are people out there constantly pushing the rumor “4.x will go beyond to 4.6/4.7” when there is literally nothing supporting that and in fact this expansion’s patches have shown no trajectory change from last expansion so it’s simply an unfounded rumor that serves no one.

I mean it's almost certainly not quite possibly going to maybe happen for sure.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

pupuru posted:

are there any good summoner guides/write-ups for recent patches? I've had this job at 70 for months so I should probably learn to play it

The short version is that you don’t want to sit on aetherflow stacks for too long, and you never ever want to delay using aetherflow when it’s up. The main raid opener takes that to its logical conclusion, where you use Painflare to get into DWT earlier, then cut that off early so you can refresh aetherflow a bit earlier.

Once you get past the opener and get used to using Ruin II to weave, the rest falls into place pretty easily. Here’s a relatively streamlined guide to the job if you like pictures, I think there’s an updated version but I can’t find it on my phone and I’m too banned from The Balance to hunt it down.

Unrelated, I’m working on raid tanking so I can do all three roles badly, and so I can use the pretty Castrum tank gear. I even cut my character’s hair to use the PLD shield!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
My main problem with SMN is Bahamut randomly deciding to not do what you tell him to and missing out on an Ahk Morn.

That, and the big number from Ahk Morn not showing up as if it were your own damage is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

WrightOfWay posted:

Honestly, now that I've spent some time in savage Omega content, the "can't move during cast" part of it is the thing that kills me the most (though I play in low ping so the timing portion isn't too bad). Even if you're only trying to get one tick beyond what you get immediately it can be rough. Canceling flamethrower a tick early because otherwise you die feels horrible every time.

Sharkopath posted:

You fire shot 3 to clear that proc and fire shot 2 to guarantee another 3 proc is what I came to but I think somebody might feel different.

Yeah, the fun thing here is that you don't need to go 1-2-3 - you can fire slug shot (2) and and proc clean shot (3), and with ammo it's still guaranteed. With three ammo loaded in between wildfires, 2-1-3-1 or 2-1-3-2 is a good time. Stacking procs like that is one of the cooler parts of the job. If you really want you can do this without any ammo at all but I'm pretty sure it's a DPS loss all of the time. If it's not, you'd have to be pretty drat lucky for it not to be.

Also: please don't use rapid fire before you use wildfire.